Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Doman Offense

My observations:

We still have the Anae shotgun, wide split sets in the offense, but we do it much less frequently.

A lot of play action. A lot of roll outs.

More short stuff. Less middle routes. Might be more on Heaps than the system.

Not a noticeable increase of deep balls.

Running game looked pretty much the same.

So far the only difference seems to be we switched out about 15 plays a game from the shotgun to play action pass. Need a lot more data, but doesn't seem to be a very effective change.

Show me your analysis of Anae's "offense" after his first game against BC where we scored 3 points.

Doman's offense schematics and playcalling seemed like an improvement to me, it was execution/bad snaps/fumbled snaps/penalties/poor accuracy that killed drives that were moving really well. 3 60+ yard drives in a quarter of time in the 2nd half pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      My observations:

We still have the Anae shotgun, wide split sets in the offense, but we do it much less frequently.

A lot of play action. A lot of roll outs.

More short stuff. Less middle routes. Might be more on Heaps than the system.

Not a noticeable increase of deep balls.

Running game looked pretty much the same.

So far the only difference seems to be we switched out about 15 plays a game from the shotgun to play action pass. Need a lot more data, but doesn't seem to be a very effective change.
      I like the offense. It's a high probability game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
        Show me your analysis of Anae's "offense" after his first game against BC where we scored 3 points.

Doman's offense schematics and playcalling seemed like an improvement to me, it was execution/bad snaps/fumbled snaps/penalties/poor accuracy that killed drives that were moving really well. 3 60+ yard drives in a quarter of time in the 2nd half pretty much.
        My analysis is certainly not a final verdict. Doman's a smart guy and highly motivated. I expect good things from him over time. I'm just trying to track what kind of changes he's making.

Comment

Some interesting pro sets looked like something from the 1980 holiday bowl.

Not many deep balls, but it looked like the receivers were pretty well covered. Slants, swings, and dump balls were the norm. More data needed to very well characterize the offense, but it looked to me that the flaws on offense were more related to execution than to flaws in the system or playcalling (and there were flaws).
          Last edited by All-American; 09-04-2011, 08:07 AM.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

PS all the consternation in the game thread about conservative play down the stretch...I don't join in that. I'm all for grinding out a win or a final drive to set up a win. I never blamed Anae for that and wouldn't criticize Doman for it.

Comment

I thought Heaps kept looking for the deep ball but it was well covered. Hard to tell on TV. I saw a lot poorer execution than we had come to expect from Anae's offense but that could be on the fact that Heaps was scared after he got hit. It is tough in the first game because QBs usually haven't seen live action. One thing I saw about Doman's offense that I hate is the use of Nelson as a "wildcat" that kid can run but he can't run the option. If you want to use him, make him a TB or slot receiver who can throw almost as well as a QB.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                I thought Heaps kept looking for the deep ball but it was well covered. Hard to tell on TV. I saw a lot poorer execution than we had come to expect from Anae's offense but that could be on the fact that Heaps was scared after he got hit. It is tough in the first game because QBs usually haven't seen live action. One thing I saw about Doman's offense that I hate is the use of Nelson as a "wildcat" that kid can run but he can't run the option. If you want to use him, make him a TB or slot receiver who can throw almost as well as a QB.
                Luckily, we only went there twice. A two yard gain and an eight or so yard gain. Wasn't all that bad.

Comment

I think the playaction and the run game would've been a lot more effective if we had Juice. JJ and Kariya aren't going to strike any fear in a defense on play-action, Juice looked like a stud in his limited time(1 quarter). Doman has said multiple times that Juice is key to our play-action offense.

Comment

I'm mostly confused by Doman's plan. He's supposedly wanting to emulate Boise's offensive approach, but watching Boise last night, they do almost everything in the shotgun (rarely under center), they run a lot of pistol formation, and they attacked often with a quick no huddle offense keeping Georgia on their heels for sustained drives. It looked like night and day from Doman's slow, mostly predictable offense we saw yesterday.

The fact is, we know BYU has productive offensive players - Heaps is a good QB, Hoffman is a good receiver (I'm only talking about guys who we know can produce based on what we've seen them do - hence, no mention of Apo) and Juice/Diluigi/Kariya are a solid group of RBs. These are guys who have proven they can put up offensive numbers and they have even one more season of experience now. The only difference is Doman, and that group that was putting up 30 ppg last year with Heaps starting, only scored 7 yesterday. That is on Doman.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                      I think the playaction and the run game would've been a lot more effective if we had Juice. JJ and Kariya aren't going to strike any fear in a defense on play-action, Juice looked like a stud in his limited time(1 quarter). Doman has said multiple times that Juice is key to our play-action offense.
                      Juice had 4 rushes for 14 yards and fell down on a reception where he could have gone an extra 10 yards. Of course they missed him, but I guess your definition of stud is different than mine.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

He's a stud for what we want to get out of the run game and play-action.

Comment

I thought the tempo might have been deliberate. It kept their offense off of the field for about 2/3rds of the game. There are more reasons than one that our defense looked so great from start to finish and theirs got worse as the game went on.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            Juice had 4 rushes for 14 yards and fell down on a reception where he could have gone an extra 10 yards. Of course they missed him, but I guess your definition of stud is different than mine.
                            I'm with you, the consensus amongst a certain segment of fans is that Juice is a player and DiLuigi is a bum. That's not accurate at all. Juice has potential but DiLuigi is a more proven commodity and more versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              I'm with you, the consensus amongst a certain segment of fans is that Juice is a player and DiLuigi is a bum. That's not accurate at all. Juice has potential but DiLuigi is a more proven commodity and more versatile.
                              Neither would be feature backs for the top half of D1 teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X