Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello to many of my long lost friends...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to many of my long lost friends...

So here is my intro:

I remember the game that I became a BYU fan - It was a BYU/SDSU game, circa 1979 and Marc Wilson obliterated SDSU on ABC (wierd how I can remember those details but almost nothing of the game). Seems like the score was something like 52-0, since I don't trust my memory, I will only say that sounds pretty good?

After that, it was always a struggle to find games on TV, but watched whenever I could. Of course, these were the days before you could record, so scheduling conficts were fatal. One late December night, I had a conflict that I thought I would miss the Holiday bowl. I drove home at the speed of sound (in my Ford Pinto) with my brother and his hot girlfriend (little brother, and yes, I was very jealous) and got home in time to watch the end of the 1980 miracle bowl. A night that I will never forget.

A few months later (Edit - wait, maybe this was the previous year - sorry - can't remember...), I was betting all of my HS buddies a quarter each that BYU would beat ND in the sweet 16 game and as we all know, Danny Ainge delivered. It capped off a magical year in BYU sports. I think I made about $6 bucks that day - not bad when minimum wage was $2.35

1981 was my freshman year and more than anything, I was excited to finally see every BYU game and attend many of them. The first game we could only get by radio - BYU vs. Long Beach St. (I can't believe that we had to play that one on the road). Having not been able to watch or listen to any games, I wasn't very familiar with the players. In the middle of the game, the announcer yells, "INTERCEPTION BY HOLMOE, INTERCEPTION BY TOMMY HOLMOE!!!! Of course, all we could hear was: "INTERCEPTION BY HOMO, INTERCEPTION BY TOMMY HOMO!!!! My roomate and I couldn't stop laughing.

I was such a big fan that I joined the band, primarily driven by the fact that at that time, the band was on the 40 yard line - great seats. We went to at least two road games a year, and the biggest bonus - we got to go to bowl game. It was great fun to go to San Diego and watch Jim McMahon destroy the other cougars (that is with a small c).

That year's basketball team was a lot of fun. I really grew a liking to Steve Trumbo. Again, another great year in cougar sports.

At that point, I thought I was heading off for 2 years to Venezuela, when unexpectedly my time away was shortened to 18 months, enabling me to return home (San Jose) in time and drive down to the Holiday bowl and watch Missou lose on the halfback throw to Steve Young. What a great play!

So, of course, 1984. A magical year. A few memories:

1) Walking into the new Cougar Stadium for the first time. Wow, just Wow.

2) Crowding into the MC to watch ESPN's inaugral telecast with BYU @ Pittsburgh with about 10,000 other fans. I will never forget Adam Haysbert catch across the middle for the TD. WOW - it was a rush, especially, because Pitt was ranked #3 at gametime.

3) Watching Kyle Morrell make the perfect timing jump over the line of scrimmage in the game @ Hawaii. Seems like I was huddled around some small TV really late at night somewhere...

4) Coming out Sunday morning after the BYU/Yewt game. IIRC, a #3 was painted on the Y. Overnight, BYU fans had gone up and crossed out the #3 and replaced it with a #1. Although it was cold, my passion was burning hot that morning...

5) The Holday bowl. I went with the band again and we were sitting on bleachers in the endzone a few feet from where Kelly Smith caught the winning TD. Being on the field and rushing out amongst the players was a lot of fun.

I graduated from college and moved back to California. Many times, late at might, my brother and I would drive to the highest peak nearby and listen to scratchy KSL radio trying to get anything about any game.

Good years were when BYU was ranked highly - finding information was much easier and televised games were plentiful.

At one point, I lived in Utah and it was fantastic to see all of the games again. Of course some of those years were the Crowton years. The most miserable game ever, a 3-0 loss in freezing weather was the low point of all of my time in BYU sports. The night was definitely dark.

The next time I moved, I hesitated because my beloved Cougars were hard to leave behind. ESPN gameplan was an answer to a prayer. Finally, I could watch almost every game again. Of course, it was maddening when you would miss the first quarter because another game went long. Drove me crazy.

Two year ago I moved to St Louis and have been holding my breath for a B12 news for obvious reasons - seeing games locally among other reasons...I wait, hoping for some good news...
    Last edited by Acorn; 09-01-2011, 07:19 AM.
    DEATH TO THE BCS!!!!

The Cougar fight song makes no mention of fair weather...

Originally posted by Acorn View Post
    So here is my intro:

I remember the game that I became a BYU fan - It was a BYU/SDSU game, circa 1979 and Marc Wilson obliterated SDSU on ABC (wierd how I can remember those details but almost nothing of the game). Seems like the score was something like 52-0, since I don't trust my memory, I will only say that sounds pretty good?

After that, it was always a struggle to find games on TV, but watched whenever I could. Of course, these were the days before you could record, so scheduling conficts were fatal. One late December night, I had a conflict that I thought I would miss the Holiday bowl. I drove home at the speed of sound (in my Ford Pinto) with my brother and his hot girlfriend (little brother, and yes, I was very jealous) and got home in time to watch the end of the 1980 miracle bowl. A night that I will never forget.

A few months later, I was betting all of my HS buddies a quarter each that BYU would beat ND in the sweet 16 game and as we all know, Danny Ainge delivered. It capped off a magical year in BYU sports. I think I made about $6 bucks that day - not bad when minimum wage was $2.35

1981 was my freshman year and more than anything, I was excited to finally see every BYU game and attend many of them. The first game we could only get by radio - BYU vs. Long Beach St. (I can't believe that we had to play that one on the road). Having not been able to watch or listen to any games, I wasn't very familiar with the players. In the middle of the game, the announcer yells, "INTERCEPTION BY HOLMOE, INTERCEPTION BY TOMMY HOLMOE!!!! Of course, all we could hear was: "INTERCEPTION BY HOMO, INTERCEPTION BY TOMMY HOMO!!!! My roomate and I couldn't stop laughing.

I was such a big fan that I joined the band, primarily driven by the fact that at that time, the band was on the 40 yard line - great seats. We went to at least two road games a year, and the biggest bonus - we got to go to bowl game. It was great fun to go to San Diego and watch Jim McMahon destroy the other cougars (that is with a small c).

That year's basketball team was a lot of fun. I really grew a liking to Steve Trumbo. Again, another great year in cougar sports.

At that point, I thought I was heading off for 2 years to Venezuela, when unexpectedly my time away was shortened to 18 months, enabling me to return home (San Jose) in time and drive down to the Holiday bowl and watch Missou lose on the halfback throw to Steve Young. What a great play!

So, of course, 1984. A magical year. A few memories:

1) Walking into the new Cougar Stadium for the first time. Wow, just Wow.

2) Crowding into the MC to watch ESPN's inaugral telecast with BYU @ Pittsburgh with about 10,000 other fans. I will never forget Adam Haysbert catch across the middle for the TD. WOW - it was a rush, especially, because Pitt was ranked #3 at gametime.

3) Watching Kyle Morrell make the perfect timing jump over the line of scrimmage in the game @ Hawaii. Seems like I was huddled around some small TV really late at night somewhere...

4) Coming out Sunday morning after the BYU/Yewt game. IIRC, a #3 was painted on the Y. Overnight, BYU fans had gone up and crossed out the #3 and replaced it with a #1. Although it was cold, my passion was burning hot that morning...

5) The Holday bowl. I went with the band again and we were sitting on bleachers in the endzone a few feet from where Kelly Smith caught the winning TD. Being on the field and rushing out amongst the players was a lot of fun.

I graduated from college and moved back to California. Many times, late at might, my brother and I would drive to the highest peak nearby and listen to scratchy KSL radio trying to get anything about any game.

Good years were when BYU was ranked highly - finding information was much easier and televised games were plentiful.

At one point, I lived in Utah and it was fantastic to see all of the games again. Of course some of those years were the Crowton years. The most miserable game ever, a 3-0 loss in freezing weather was the low point of all of my time in BYU sports. The night was definitely dark.

The next time I moved, I hesitated because my beloved Cougars were hard to leave behind. ESPN gameplan was an answer to a prayer. Finally, I could watch almost every game again. Of course, it was maddening when you would miss the first quarter because another game went long. Drove me crazy.

Two year ago I moved to St Louis and have been holding my breath for a B12 news for obvious reasons - seeing games locally among other reasons...I wait, hoping for some good news...
    What ward are you in?
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Welcome, Welcome - always nice to have more "experienced" people join us

three words of advice

Pellegrino approved template

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

ACORN! And Lonely Island!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
          What ward are you in?
          Chesterfield
          DEATH TO THE BCS!!!!

Comment

Excellent intro, Acorn. Glad to have you here.

Comment

Chesterfield
              Phew. I'm in STL too. Are you an orthodox Mormon?
              That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

Comment

lol
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Welcome aboard. There are some great fans on here. I am sure that you will make a good addition. Make sure you add your game predictions in the Stadium.
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Not sure what orthodox means? I don't drink beer...at least not yet...

But I am a live and let live kind of guy...unless they assign me to be your home teacher...and then I will come visit you and be your friend, but only because I have to.

What ward are you in?
                    DEATH TO THE BCS!!!!

Comment

Welcome Acorn. Glad to have you aboard.

I think you will find CUF to be much like the Celestial Kingdom...you are so happy just to be there and overjoyed when you keep seeing long lost dear friends.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Welcome. I am glad to have you here. I don't say that to just anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          Welcome Acorn. Glad to have you aboard.

I think you will find CUF to be much like the Celestial Kingdom...you are so happy just to be there and overjoyed when you keep seeing long lost dear friends.
                          You would only know the lyrics to this song if you had a strange taste for music:

I was born, under a wanderin' tree

Do you know where Hell is, Hell as in "Hello"

Heaven is goodbye forever, it's time for me to go.

Sung by Lee Marvin, with Clint Eastwood as his singing sidekick.
                          DEATH TO THE BCS!!!!

Comment

I am in a ward that is east of chesterfield, but I am probably considered inactive because I work on Sundays. We are huge BYU fans--going to Ole Miss.

Comment

You would only know the lyrics to this song if you had a strange taste for music:

I was born, under a wanderin' tree

Do you know where Hell is, Hell as in "Hello"

Heaven is goodbye forever, it's time for me to go.

Sung by Lee Marvin, with Clint Eastwood as his singing sidekick.
                              A strange taste in music......OR a love for Paint Your Wagon!

[YOUTUBE]VM5-xFenaZI[/YOUTUBE]
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X