Hydration Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydration Question

I have been biking for a couple of years now so I am still a newbie. I typically ride 15-25 miles at a time. I would like to try some longer rides now that the weather is nice. But how do you stay hydrated on those 80 mile rides? Can you carry that much on your bike? As a rule of thumb, how much water should one plan for on a long ride?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I have been biking for a couple of years now so I am still a newbie. I typically ride 15-25 miles at a time. I would like to try some longer rides now that the weather is nice. But how do you stay hydrated on those 80 mile rides? Can you carry that much on your bike? As a rule of thumb, how much water should one plan for on a long ride?
    I'll defer to the experts, but I've found the answer is, in part, a function of temperature and exertion. On our recent long rides, it's been pretty mild but I still sweat quite a bit. I carry two big bottles, and I have to refill them about 2-3 hours. In hot weather, I think I'd go through one in as little as 30 minutes. We plan our ride so that there's a 7-11 or gas station somewhere near the midpoint of our trip and we buy a lot of water and/or Gatorade. Last Saturday, we bought three quarts of water at a biker's joint out in the sticks, and used a small packet of Gatorade I'd brought to add to one our bottles.

We also have Camelbaks but I don't like the weight as much on my back, so I'll use that only if there isn't a place to re-tank along the way.

Comment

I would plan on at least four bottles on an eighty mile ride. Make sure you have plenty to drink before you start and then I like to start with one bottle of water and one bottle with a mix (Hammer Perpetuem is what I use). This should take you to around mile fifty and then I just stop at a Mavrick and load up on Gatorade. I buy the big bottles and what won't fit in my bottles I just drink right there. I've gone seventy five miles on a 100 mile ride before filling up before so if you what to do the full eighty on just two bottles it's possible but I wouldn't.

Comment

On a related note one thing that I started doing last year that seems to be working is taking a little 6oz squeeze bottle full of Hammer Gel. It's a lot less messy then trying to open the GU packets and putting them back in your pocket.

Comment

I also plan my long rides around a gas station or grocery store. Unless you are going really rural, you should be able to find one every 20-30 miles anyplace you will ride.

Last weekend I did almost 50 miles and could have planned to stop off and refill at a forest service sub-station, but didn't feel like stopping. I had 2 large bottles on the bike and took another smaller one in my jersey pocket. It was about right for a hard 2 1/2 hour ride in mild temps.

I wouldn't plan on doing more than 50 miles without a water stop. I dont sweat much, but that is about my limit.

I don't like to use my camelback except while on the mountain bike. Its just not very comfortable on the road while in an aero position.

Comment

What if you are biking by yourself? What do you do with your bike when you enter a gas station?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

What if you are biking by yourself? What do you do with your bike when you enter a gas station?
              I just lean it up against the window and have never had a problem. Of course I'm out in the middle of Idaho when I stop and the last thing these people want is a bike. If it was a four wheeler I might worry about it. Be careful walking around on those slick floors in your cleats. Last year I took a tumble.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                I just lean it up against the window and have never had a problem. Of course I'm out in the middle of Idaho when I stop and the last thing these people want is a bike. If it was a four wheeler I might worry about it. Be careful walking around on those slick floors in your cleats. Last year I took a tumble.
                what pedal system do you use? I use speedplays and find that the 'cafe covers' are a worthwhile investment. They protect the cleats (whcih are stupidly expensive) and they give you good traction.

I would echo the commetns here about stopping for water or gatorade. There are almost always plenty of places to do it. I also just lean my bike agains the glass, but you do need to be alittel careful. I wouldnt be too shy about taking it inside, if I was really worried.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I've done the same as RCV and never had a problem.

Comment

I agree with what others have said. I take 1 bottle of gatorade and 1 of water and try to take a couple of swigs about every 5 miles. Refill after 30-40 miles. I also take a gel and a Clif bar to keep my energy up. I sweat a lot, and toward the end of a longer ride, my stomach is waterlogged but I still feel dehydrated. I guess I haven't mastered the art yet.

As far as doing a solo ride and leaving the bike outside... about the best you can do is try to keep an eye on it or ask the clerk or someone else in the store to keep an eye on it while you make a purchase or run to the men's room.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      what pedal system do you use? I use speedplays and find that the 'cafe covers' are a worthwhile investment.
                      Look Keo's. I tried speedplays one time and I just got the feeling I didn't have enough of a base with those if that makes sense. The floor had water on it and I went down hard. It was pretty embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        Look Keo's. I tried speedplays one time and I just got the feeling I didn't have enough of a base with those if that makes sense. The floor had water on it and I went down hard. It was pretty embarrassing.
                        I have heard similar complaitns abotu the speedplays. At first they feel like you are on ice. But I love their float and they are very easy for in/out, especailyl out. I used to use Times and have laos used looks and use spd's on the Mtn Bike, but I prefer the speedplays.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                        X