The case for super conferences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The case for super conferences?

I simply cannot make a case for super conferences. I see them as the end of college football and its great "feel". The 16 team WAC was a microcosm of the disaster that awaits us if this unfolds as it seems it will. Does anyone support this concept of super mega conferences? What is the best argument in support of them. All I see are indications that espn and Larry Scott see them as the future of college football, but I don't see much editorializing on either side of the issue articulating the pros and cons.

Cons:
    1. The facade that cfb is about student athletes as its central focus is destroyed and the greed and exploitation are all that's left with nothing to cover them up or distract us from looking directly at them.
    2. Regional 9-12 team leagues are gone and also the convenience of 8 and 9 game consistent conference schedules with 3-4 out of conference matchups each year.

3. Smaller schools have to go to fcs or disappear completely because they are left out.

4. No geographic tie ins. Big east and acc already have this and each of those conferences lack much commonality. Boston college and Clemson have very little similarity. Texas and Oregon? Great matchup, but in a bowl game or as a preseason game makes more sense.

I'm opposed to super conferences. If you have 16 teams, you won't play many of the teams in your own conference anyway, so from a fan perspective, not sure I see an advantage. There will be lots of money to be made, though.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I'm opposed to super conferences. If you have 16 teams, you won't play many of the teams in your own conference anyway, so from a fan perspective, not sure I see an advantage. There will be lots of money to be made, though.
      The only way a super conference could work is to think of it as a business organization housing 2 separate 8 team conferences who has an agreement to match the winner of each conference in a title game. You would play everyone in your mini conference and supplement your OOC schedule with some guaranteed games from the other mini conference mixed with teams from other super conferences. Makes scheduling that much easier. I think college football would morph into something completely different than it is today. But I could see the PAC loving this type of situation. in a way they could return to the old PAC-8.

Comment

I don't like it at all.

If you are going to go to 16 team conferences, essentially, you have 2 8 team regions.

Just separate them and make 8 8 teams conferences. Then, have regional "playoffs" instead of conference championship games.

As a Ute fan, I don't like either scenario, but it beats the hell out of being in the MWC in some lower division of football.

The advantage of 16 team conferences is content...which means bigger contracts and more money.

I think this summer might be the summer that college football dies.

While many wanted playoffs, and I am sure we will get them, I don't think they envisioned this.

It would sure be nice to stay with 6 BCS conferences and 8 playoff spots. Give 2 spots to the highest ranking teams from those conferences and let them play.

16 team conferences seem pretty unstable. Not sure why I feel that way. Maybe my view is tainted unfairly by the SuperWAC.

Comment

How about one super conference? Let's call it the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Comment

I agree with TripletDaddy.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
              I agree with TripletDaddy.

Detente!
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I like the idea as I see it as the only way to get some type of 8 team playoff without destroying the bowl games. All we need is 4 superconferences (18 to 20) teams a piece) and a +1 game and we are good.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  I like the idea as I see it as the only way to get some type of 8 team playoff without destroying the bowl games. All we need is 4 superconferences (18 to 20) teams a piece) and a +1 game and we are good.
                  There will not be 18-20 teams in each of the superconferences. Fat will be trimmed.

Comment

Detente!
                    There you go with the name-calling again.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
                      There will not be 18-20 teams in each of the superconferences. Fat will be trimmed.
                      Well, even powerhouse teams need any easy week during conference play. That's why Baylor, Minnesota, Iowa State, and Utah exist.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Part of the problem that i have is that it seems everyone is taking a "bigger is better approach" without actually thinking about the mechanics. i agree with portland ute that this may be the summer/season that college football essentially dies or at least becomes more unstable than a sprite bottle filled with water and dry ice and the cap tightly on.

texas/aTm/Big 12 and the current goings on, to me, are the proof that this business of super conferences are bad for the sport. we already have a lot of jealousy and envy between the conferences, with everyone right now looking at the pac 12's tv deal and feeling like they need to prove they can do better.

didn't the nfl just pass some agreement that will limit the spending on high draft pick's salaries early on in their careers. (i remember when alex smith went #1 and, iirc, he held out for a few weeks while his salary got figured out so he wouldn't be making less than eli manning from a year ealier)... i may have names wrong, but you get the gist of what i'm saying.

it isn't even the business side of the game that is bothering me. it's the going away from what makes cfb so great. smaller/manageable conferences built around a distinct geography, competing for a conference title and then representing their particular conference in a bowl game against teams from other conferences who did well enough in their own conferences to merit a bowl invite.

the ncaa has been slouching towards this result for a few decades now with the proliferation of too many bowl games and the formation of the bcs that hypcritically tried to claim a measure of true championship crowning, but ultimately failed to do so. in its wake, the bcs's true purpose of preserving the big bucks for the 60+ elite colleges, is all that will be left if the sport continues to crumble.

in the words of the wise character, Charlie Brown, from Charles Schultz...

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!

Comment

I wouldn't mind super conferences. Here is a scenario that could play out.

Tamu and 3 others go to the Sec

Tex; ttech, ok, & okst to the pac-12 (creating four pods that change every year)

Big10 asks nd they say no so they add 4 teams from (mizzou, pitt, bc, maryland, unc). There are then three super conferences and two wildcard spots (all remaining conferences and super conferences are eligible. Conf championship play normal times and wild card plays same weekend. Seed the remaining 4 teams with two highest seed getting home games. Champ game is then played on New years day rotating between rose, sugar, fiesta, cotton and orange.

other bowls go as planned. Exciting for the fans. Boatloads of $$$ to be made

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
                          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

With my scenario we get the playoff we have always wanted.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post

Cons:
                              1. The facade that cfb is about student athletes as its central focus is destroyed and the greed and exploitation are all that's left with nothing to cover them up or distract us from looking directly at them.
                              2. Regional 9-12 team leagues are gone and also the convenience of 8 and 9 game consistent conference schedules with 3-4 out of conference matchups each year.

3. Smaller schools have to go to fcs or disappear completely because they are left out.

4. No geographic tie ins. Big east and acc already have this and each of those conferences lack much commonality. Boston college and Clemson have very little similarity. Texas and Oregon? Great matchup, but in a bowl game or as a preseason game makes more sense.
                              1. how is that different than now?
                              2. What is the difference between 12 and 16. Teams will still play 8-9 conference games and with 3-4 ooc. Most rivalries stay in tact. I would add that there is a more of a chance of good games. More and more teams are not playing anyone OOC. At least now they will have to play these teams because they are in the conference.
                              3. How is that different than now.
                              4. People like good games. See point 2

Comment

Working...
                              X