Who cares more (now)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who cares more (now)?

To whom is the rivalry game more important now?

I think that with conference realignment, the pendulum has swung. The Utah/BYU rivalry is now more important to BYU. BYU needs to play against quality BCS opponents to build strength of schedule requisite for BCS bowl contention, which is the only goal that the program has now. Having the Utah game built into the schedule on an annual basis is now more important.

Utah still maintains the possibility of playing in a BCS bowl even with a loss to BYU. BTW, on a tangent, how would it be if a one loss Utah team (loss to BYU) played in the rose bowl, while a one loss BYU team played in the fight hunger bowl?

Pandemonium in Utah, that's how it would be. This scenario almost negates the gag reflex associated with the thought of losing to BYU.
    The game is more important to Utah
    37.14%
    The game is more important to BYU
    62.86%

Given that you started this thread, I would say the Utes. BYU has been in the news the past couple of weeks because it is receiving commits from 4-star recruits, its games will pretty much all be on national TV, it just launched an app allowing everyone access to most prior football games, and the model it has set forth for independence is now setting the standard for traditional powerhouse programs that want to follow suit.

Utah was in the news last week because a player swallowed a bee.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Unbeelievable. I'm totally beewildered as to how something like that might happen.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

There's a ton of pressure on the Utes.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
          There's a ton of pressure on the Utes.
          Exactly. There is no more time to worry about BYU. I am the exception, because as an ALUF, my journey is paradoxically intertwined with BYU's. I hold no enmity toward the BY.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
            To whom is the rivalry game more important now?

I think that with conference realignment, the pendulum has swung. The Utah/BYU rivalry is now more important to BYU. BYU needs to play against quality BCS opponents to build strength of schedule requisite for BCS bowl contention, which is the only goal that the program has now. Having the Utah game built into the schedule on an annual basis is now more important.

Utah still maintains the possibility of playing in a BCS bowl even with a loss to BYU. BTW, on a tangent, how would it be if a one loss Utah team (loss to BYU) played in the rose bowl, while a one loss BYU team played in the fight hunger bowl?

Pandemonium in Utah, that's how it would be. This scenario almost negates the gag reflex associated with the thought of losing to BYU.

right now I would say BYU. If they get a schedule comparable to the Utes down the line, then I don't know. Probably Utah because they are the ones that are behind in fan support and it probably won't change.

Comment

Given that you started this thread, I would say the Utes. BYU has been in the news the past couple of weeks because it is receiving commits from 4-star recruits, its games will pretty much all be on national TV, it just launched an app allowing everyone access to most prior football games, and the model it has set forth for independence is now setting the standard for traditional powerhouse programs that want to follow suit.
              If by "news" you mean the Deseret News (particularly Dick Harmon's columns) and I guess the Salt Lake Tribune, and certainly Greg Wrubell's work, then you are right.
              Last edited by LA Ute; 08-08-2011, 01:07 PM. Reason: tpyo
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

By "in the news" I am forced to assume you mean KSL and/or Deseret News/Mormon Times, but yes you are right, that is pretty cool to be in the news.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/uasportsnet...lege-football/

I am a little incensed that you would make light of a potentially life threatening incedent. Declasse.

EDIT: LAUte and I must have shared a "vulcan mind meld."
                Last edited by wally; 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                  If by "news" you mean the Deseret News (particularly Dick Harmon's columns) and I guess the Salt Lake Tribune, and certainly Greg Wrubell's work, then you are right.
                  Edited post?

lol.

"jerk store is the line!"

sigpic

Comment

By "in the news" I am forced to assume you mean KSL and/or Deseret News/Mormon Times, but yes you are right, that is pretty cool to be in the news.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/uasportsnet...lege-football/

I am a little incensed that you would make light of a potentially life threatening incedent. Declasse.
                    Your best joke was equivalent to an LA Ute joke that he refined and edited after careful consideration.

sigpic

Comment

Exactly. There is no more time to worry about BYU. I am the exception, because as an ALUF, my journey is paradoxically intertwined with BYU's. I hold no enmity toward the BY.
                      That makes no sense. If you think you've got no more time to worry about BYU because you've got bigger fish to fry, then you must be more worried about the game. Under those circumstances, it would be embarrassing for you to lose to BYU.

As Babs said, lots of pressure. Teams from power conferences are supposed to win 75% of these types of match-ups. Even if you perform at a 50% level (which is likely to be closer to the truth), you've failed.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Your best joke was equivalent to an LA Ute joke that he refined and edited after careful consideration.
                        My best joke was to pass my genes on to some poor unsuspecting little kids.

BTW, just googled: "The BYU Cougars are the most important team in college football" and didn't get any articles. But the fifth hit was something about the Honor Code.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          That makes no sense. If you think you've got no more time to worry about BYU because you've got bigger fish to fry, then you must be more worried about the game. Under those circumstances, it would be embarrassing for you to lose to BYU.

As Babs said, lots of pressure. Teams from power conferences are supposed to win 75% of these types of match-ups. Even if you perform at a 50% level (which is likely to be closer to the truth), you've failed.
                          I am saying that Utah must necessarily focus more on conference games, now that they are in an AQ conference. I would think that this makes sense.

Comment

A misplaced parenthesis. ) So sue me.
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

My best joke was to pass my genes on to some poor unsuspecting little kids

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X