PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I can safely cheer for Oregon State

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
ESPN experts unanimously project Utes in the Sugar Bowl vs. SEC no. 2 even if USC is out of the Rose.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowlprojection?season=2008&week=13

I hope it's Florida.

smokymountainrain
11-26-2008, 02:09 PM
ESPN experts unanimously project Utes in the Sugar Bowl vs. SEC no. 2 even if USC is out of the Rose.

I hope it's Florida.

If you want the utes to have a fighting chance, you better hope it's Alabama.

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 02:10 PM
If you want the utes to have a fighting chance, you better hope it's Alabama.

You aren't qualified or unbiased enough to say this. Whit and I never shrink from a challenge.

venkman
11-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Whit and I never shrink from a challenge.

Good to hear, I'll be looking out for you. What number are you again?

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Why are you guys trolling me? Let me experience my joy.

RockyBalboa
11-26-2008, 02:31 PM

I hope it's Florida.

You're hoping to lose by 6 touchdowns or so?

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM
You're hoping to lose by 6 touchdowns or so?

The gull (sp?) of bitterness

RockyBalboa
11-26-2008, 02:46 PM
The gull (sp?) of bitterness

It's called reality my friend.

Against the ACC or Big East Champ you guys will have a solid chance of winning your BCS game and should be favored to do so.

Against Florida you might get a semi-generous line like Hawaii did against Georgia last year. I believe Georgia was only favored by 9 or 10...Florida would probably be favored by slightly more, and if you want to make a lot of money on a bet....Florida will easily clear whatever the oddsmaker put it at.

Babs
11-26-2008, 02:50 PM
and I never shrink from a challenge.

That's not what she said.

CJF
11-26-2008, 02:54 PM
It's called reality my friend.

Against the ACC or Big East Champ you guys will have a solid chance of winning your BCS game and should be favored to do so.

Against Florida you might get a semi-generous line like Hawaii did against Georgia last year. I believe Georgia was only favored by 9 or 10...Florida would probably be favored by slightly more, and if you want to make a lot of money on a bet....Florida will easily clear whatever the oddsmaker put it at.

Utah is light years better than Hawaii was last year. I think it would be a good game. I think Florida probably wins by 2 touchdowns though. Something like 34-20. Not bad when Florida is probably a top 2 or 3 team right now and playing much closer to home.

smokymountainrain
11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Utah is light years better than Hawaii was last year. I think it would be a good game. I think Florida probably wins by 2 touchdowns though. Something like 34-20. Not bad when Florida is probably a top 2 or 3 team right now and playing much closer to home.

Utah is better than Hawaii was last year. That is true. Florida is also considerably better than Georgia was last year.

Florida wins that game something like 52 - 24.

Babs
11-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Florida wins that game something like 52 - 24.

I kind of agree. The SEC's homefield advantage should be considerable. And plus Tebow is on a mission...serving some kind of penance for his poor play in the Ole Miss game.

FTR, I wouldn't want to face Florida, either.

smokymountainrain
11-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I kind of agree. The SEC's homefield advantage should be considerable. And plus Tebow is on a mission...serving some kind of penance for his poor play in the Ole Miss game.

FTR, I wouldn't want to face Florida, either.

Bingo. Don't screw with the homeschooled kid.

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Since SEC teams only play with themselves it's always hard to tell how good they really are.

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Here's what I really want. I want to play USC or an Oklahoma or Texas that has won out. If not either of these scenarios, Florida then Alabama. No guts no glory, as my dad used to say. If Utah has a chance it's because of its athletic, nasty, thieving defense, and Whittingham's big game coaching record.

venkman
11-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Here's what I really want. I want to play USC or an Oklahoma or Texas that has won out. If not either of these scenarios, Florida then Alabama. No guts no glory, as my dad used to say. If Utah has a chance it's because of its athletic, nasty, thieving defense, and Whittingham's big game coaching record.

I still say TCU is the best team in the MWC (utes got lucky) and they were demolished by Oklahoma. Like TCU, I just don't think the U has the O to hang with Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, USC, etc. This isn't 2004.

However, Whitt's bowl and big game coaching record is not to be trifled with, so I think they'd have an outside shot. Sure would be fun to see what they could do. I'm not a believer yet, but if the utes could take down a top 5 team, I'd be very impressed.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 04:11 PM
You aren't qualified or unbiased enough to say this. Whit and I never shrink from a challenge.

Whit told Dan Patrick today that he thinks Florida is playing the best right now in the country and hinted that he'd rather not play Florida.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I still say TCU is the best team in the MWC (utes got lucky) and they were demolished by Oklahoma. Like TCU, I just don't think the U has the O to hang with Oklahoma, Texas, Florida, USC, etc. This isn't 2004.

However, Whitt's bowl and big game coaching record is not to be trifled with, so I think they'd have an outside shot. Sure would be fun to see what they could do. I'm not a believer yet, but if the utes could take down a top 5 team, I'd be very impressed.

Yes, the Ues got lucky against TCU, but at the end of the season, the Utes are sitting a 12-0 while TCU is at 10-2 with a loss to Utah.

In my admittedly biased opinion, that tells me Utah is the better team.

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I still say TCU is the best team in the MWC .

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/standings?confID=17&year=2008&confId=17

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

Holding TCU scoreless for 51 minutes was luck?

venkman
11-26-2008, 04:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/standings?confID=17&year=2008&confId=17

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

Holding TCU scoreless for 51 minutes was luck?

Good defense, yes. Bad kicking, yes. They caught a break.

Hey, I was trying to complement your team with the Whitt is a good bowl coach comment. Don't make me edit that one out.

venkman
11-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, the Ues got lucky against TCU, but at the end of the season, the Utes are sitting a 12-0 while TCU is at 10-2 with a loss to Utah.

In my admittedly biased opinion, that tells me Utah is the better team.

I hear what you're saying, and it's a good argument. But the Utes got lucky with TCU at home, and they didn't have to play Oklahoma. But you've got scoreboard and that's great. My point wasn't to slight the utes but to point out that if TCU couldn't handle the Sooners, I don't think Utah could either.

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 04:29 PM
IPU, you're a sychophant.

LA Ute
11-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Good defense, yes. Bad kicking, yes. They caught a break.

Using that logic, Utah's performance against BYU was good defense, bad BYU passing, and the Utes "caught a break."

Actually, Utah played hard and well and simply beat both TCU and BYU. Luck is part of all sports, and denigrating someone's hard-fought win as the product of luck . . . well, it bugs me.

But I forgive you.

Babs
11-26-2008, 04:42 PM

I think I see what you're saying. There's nothing to be gained by playing (or defeating) BC or Cinn. If you win, the win is greeted with a shrug by the national media, because everybody knows the ACC and Big East don't count for anything anyway. If you get stuck playing Florida, a win would be great but is not very likely, so there's nothing proven.

But if you play USC, Oklahoma or Texas in the Fiesta Bowl, you've got a decent chance at winning, and you get some credit from the national media for taking down a big-name team. (Though I think you'd get more credit for defeating USC or Texas than for handing Oklahoma its annual BCS loss.)

venkman
11-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Using that logic, Utah's performance against BYU was good defense, bad BYU passing, and the Utes "caught a break."

Actually, Utah played hard and well and simply beat both TCU and BYU. Luck is part of all sports, and denigrating someone's hard-fought win as the product of luck . . . well, it bugs me.

But I forgive you.

BYU's passing woes were certainly in part due to ute defense. I don't put the missed TCU field goals on the Ute D though. Luck.

Not sure why your panties are in a bunch over this. BYU got lucky in the 98 'doink' game. Who cares, they won. Same with the utes. Good defense and a bit of luck. Not saying they don't deserve the win either or the BCS. But they're not the 04 utes, and I think they'll struggle against the top teams.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 04:57 PM
IPU, you're a sychophant.

:confused:

Why?

creekster
11-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Why?

He's disappointed you won't troll ineffectually, like he does.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 05:01 PM
I hear what you're saying, and it's a good argument. But the Utes got lucky with TCU at home, and they didn't have to play Oklahoma. But you've got scoreboard and that's great. My point wasn't to slight the utes but to point out that if TCU couldn't handle the Sooners, I don't think Utah could either.

Sadly, we'll never know how the Utes would do against Oklahoma, as I'm going to guess that the BCS will pull another '04 and give the Utes the worst BCS team that gets an auto bid - either the champ from the ACC or Big East.

The Utes were fortunate that TCU missed FGs, but they still had to drive 80 yards in the last two minutes to get the win and did it.

I never took it as you slighting the Utes, so it's no worries. Besides, I could say that BYU got lucky by blocking the PAT against Washington. ;)

venkman
11-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Sadly, we'll never know how the Utes would do against Oklahoma, as I'm going to guess that the BCS will pull another '04 and give the Utes the worst BCS team that gets an auto bid - either the champ from the ACC or Big East.

The Utes were fortunate that TCU missed FGs, but they still had to drive 80 yards in the last two minutes to get the win and did it.

I never took it as you slighting the Utes, so it's no worries. Besides, I could say that BYU got lucky by blocking the PAT against Washington. ;)

Agreed, they'll get a patsy. And yes, that last TCU drive was impressive.

venkman
11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Whit told Dan Patrick today that he thinks Florida is playing the best right now in the country and hinted that he'd rather not play Florida.

What a pussy. SU is shedding tears of shame right now.

il Padrino Ute
Agreed, they'll get a patsy. And yes, that last TCU drive was impressive.

I still think the win in the OSU game was more impressive. Two TDs in about the same amount of time as the TCU game.

I just wish the BCS folks weren't such pussies that they won't give the Utes a shot at a better team.

In '04, they threw the Utes a bone that was supposed to make everyone that is non-BCS happy - kind of a "be glad that we let you join our party."

After the Utes crushed Pitt, and BSU got in, the BCS decided they didn't want to see one of their own beaten down like that, so they put Oklahoma against BSU and BSU ruined it for them.

Then last year, they finally decided to show their superiority and gave Hawaii a Georgia team that crushed the Warriors. The BCS proved to the world (translated as proved to themselves) that the BCS teams are superior.

Now, Utah comes along and is far superior to what Hawaii was last year and the BCS won't risk one of ther better teams losing.

Pussies. All of 'em.

LA Ute
Not sure why your panties are in a bunch over this. BYU got lucky in the 98 'doink' game. Who cares, they won. Same with the utes. Good defense and a bit of luck. Not saying they don't deserve the win either or the BCS. But they're not the 04 utes, and I think they'll struggle against the top teams.

Just checked to be sure, and the ol' underwear is actually pretty well-distributed. Mistakes are part of football, and the team that makes fewer of them usually wins, and I don't like calling them lucky for making fewer mistakes.

I still forgive you.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM

I don't know if SU is shedding tears about that, as he (SU) is too shrewd to say that he'd like to see the Utes lose.

venkman
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
I still think the win in the OSU game was more impressive. Two TDs in about the same amount of time as the TCU game.

I just wish the BCS folks weren't such pussies that they won't give the Utes a shot at a better team.

In '04, they threw the Utes a bone that was supposed to make everyone that is non-BCS happy - kind of a "be glad that we let you join our party."

After the Utes crushed Pitt, and BSU got in, the BCS decided they didn't want to see one of their own beaten down like that, so they put Oklahoma against BSU and BSU ruined it for them.

Then last year, they finally decided to show their superiority and gave Hawaii a Georgia team that crushed the Warriors. The BCS proved to the world (translated as proved to themselves) that the BCS teams are superior.

Now, Utah comes along and is far superior to what Hawaii was last year and the BCS won't risk one of ther better teams losing.

Pussies. All of 'em.

Agreed. 100%.

Babs
11-26-2008, 05:25 PM

What the last years have demonstrated is that the bowl who chooses last gets the nonBCS team. They're not slating the Utes based on the competition; they're slating the Utes based on the bowls' preferences. So you'll either be in the Orange Bowl against the ACC or the Sugar Bowl against the SEC. You won't play the Big East, who will end up playing whichever of those two teams the Utes doesn't play.

And you guys are fooling yourselves if you think this is about anything other than money and ratings. The bowl officials could give a flying f--- who wins and who loses. Hawaii played in the Sugar because the Sugar chose last, not because Boise had won the year before.

TripletDaddy
11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Here's what I really want. I want to play USC

You want the Utes to play against the #1 defense in the country?

Sounds good to me.

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Nobody is projecting Utah against the ACC or Big East champion. What you guys don't get is 3D's point. They won't keep Utah out of the sugar or Fiesta so Utah can't prove itself against a top five team. They have no shame. It's all about business. Apparently the press thinks Utah will make the most business sense in the Sugar or Fiesta.

TripletDaddy
11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Agreed. 100%.

how so?

every year most of those bowls are already locked in. the Rose bowl isnt ducking the non bcs. it always wants Pac v Big 10. Same with the other bowl tie ins.

The at large invites are business decisions.

There is a reason that Utah and BYU have never played in the Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl...even before the BCS. Non BCS teams have a sucky national following, little national appeal, and are a crappy ratings draw. The bowls need to make money.

SeattleUte

I don't credit IPU's interpretation of the perceived subtext of anything Whit said. he didn't say he doesn't want to play Florida.

il Padrino Ute
What the last years have demonstrated is that the bowl who chooses last gets the nonBCS team. They're not slating the Utes based on the competition; they're slating the Utes based on the bowls' preferences. So you'll either be in the Orange Bowl against the ACC or the Sugar Bowl against the SEC. You won't play the Big East, who will end up playing whichever of those two teams the Utes doesn't play.

And you guys are fooling yourselves if you think this is about anything other than money and ratings. The bowl officials could give a flying f--- who wins and who loses. Hawaii played in the Sugar because the Sugar chose last, not because Boise had won the year before.

I know it's all about money and ratings. It always has been and always will be. And that is exactly why I think the BCS people are a bunch of pussies. They don't want to risk more people watching one of their better teams get it's hiney handed to them than they have to have watch.

Pussies, all of 'em!

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 05:31 PM
You want the Utes to play against the #1 defense in the country?

Sounds good to me.

Actually, playing the no. 2 Pac 10 team would be kind of a consolation prize. We've already schooled the Pac 10.

Babs
11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
I know it's all about money and ratings. It always has been and always will be. And that is exactly why I think the BCS people are a bunch of pussies. They don't want to risk more people watching one of their better teams get it's hiney handed to them than they have to have watch.

Pussies, all of 'em!

No, they don't care what people watch, as long as they watch, and historically, nobody tunes in to the nonBCS team. They would kill to get a USC-Texas rematch, which is why Fiesta (choosing first) will take USC this year. That only leaves the Orange and Sugar Bowls to dicker between Cincinnati and Utah. There's no grand conspiracy: "Oh, gee, we can't risk having Texas upset by Utah, let's not pit them against each other." It's, "USC is the most affluent alumni base in the country, and UT has more alums than any other school. Who cares who wins: this is a goldmine!!!!!!!!!"

TripletDaddy
11-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Actually, playing the no. 2 Pac 10 team would be kind of a consolation prize. We've already schooled the Pac 10.

Which team is the #2 Pac 10 team, just out of curiosity?

Jeff Lebowski
11-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Which team is the #2 Pac 10 team, just out of curiosity?

Isn't it Southern Cal? Has OSU lost a PAC-10 game yet?

TripletDaddy
11-26-2008, 05:37 PM
No, they don't care what people watch, as long as they watch, and historically, nobody tunes in to the nonBCS team. They would kill to get a USC-Texas rematch, which is why Fiesta (choosing first) will take USC this year. That only leaves the Orange and Sugar Bowls to dicker between Cincinnati and Utah. There's no grand conspiracy: "Oh, gee, we can't risk having Texas upset by Utah, let's not pit them against each other." It's, "USC is the most affluent alumni base in the country, and UT has more alums than any other school. Who cares who wins: this is a goldmine!!!!!!!!!"

You are wasting your sexy breath.

Babs
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM

Seattle, you're such a great troll when it comes to religion but you seems so out of your element here.

See, what you want to say is,

"Actually, playing the no. 2 Pac 10 team is a bit of a step down for us since, unlike USC, we defeated the Pac 10 champ."

TripletDaddy
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM

No.

Yes.

Babs
11-26-2008, 05:39 PM
You are wasting your sexy breath.

Tell me about it.

I'm also shaking in my sexy little boots at the thought of playing the Utes.

Babs
11-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Oregon State has to win the Civil War to seal up the Pac 10 title. They play at home, but it's certainly not a given.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 05:40 PM

I'm not saying that you don't speak the truth because you do. But your team is one of those that are a part of the BCS problem so you can't understand the perspective of one of us on the outside, which is that the BCS group is made up of pussies who don't want to risk their alleged superiority against one of the little guys.

Until they prove they aren't pussies, they are pussies.

TripletDaddy
11-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Oregon State has to win the Civil War to seal up the Pac 10 title. They play at home, but it's certainly not a given.

To seal up a share of the PAC 10 title. If SC beats FUCLA, they share the title...and it will be 7 straight for SC.

OSU already has 1 PAC 10 loss.

Everyone is confusing Rose Bowl pecking order with conference championship.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 05:47 PM
To seal up a share of the PAC 10 title. If SC beats FUCLA, they share the title...and it will be 7 straight for SC.

The way I see it, should Oregon State and USC both win out, they share the title and OSU gets the nod.

IOW, USC is not in control of it's own destiny.

TripletDaddy
11-26-2008, 05:50 PM
The way I see it, should Oregon State and USC both win out, they share the title and OSU gets the nod.

IOW, USC is not in control of it's own destiny.

First, this is the way everyone should see it, because that is the way it works. If both teams win out, they finish with one conference loss each and split the conference championship. There really is no subjectivity in that one.

OSU would get the Rose Bowl nod because it has the head to head.

SC does not control its own destiny, but not for reasons stated here. SC's goal is not the make the Rose Bowl. It is to win the national championship. If they are not going to play in that game, then Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl is fine and makes relatively little difference in the long run. The Rose Bowl payout is more than the Fiesta, so in that sense they would prefer the Rose. Plus, more of the fanbase is local when SC plays at the Rose.

At this point, SC controls whether it will share at least part of the conference championship, though.

Babs
11-26-2008, 05:51 PM

yeah. I didn't realize your conference allows for shared titles. tsk. Lightweights.

SeattleUte
11-26-2008, 06:00 PM

OSU will be the Pac 10 champ if it wins its last game at home v. Oregon. It will go to the Rose Bowl, which is the Pac 10 champ's reward. If that comes to pass, USC will be the no. 2 Pac 10 team.

Jeff Lebowski
11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
OSU will be the Pac 10 champ if it wins its last game at home v. Oregon. It will go to the Rose Bowl, which is the Pac 10 champ's reward. If that comes to pass, USC will be the no. 2 Pac 10 team.

Gotcha.

Thanks everybody.

YOhio
11-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I hope the Utes don't play Florida. It would be horrible to have to cheer for the Gators. I did it two years ago in the BCS title game and it was very unpleasant. Not quite as bad as cheering for a Karl Malone Lakers team, but close.

TripletDaddy
11-26-2008, 06:34 PM

The title will be split.

As a Ute fan, you should be in full support of split conference titles. Without such, the Utes only have 3 conference championships in the past 45 years.

Actually, even with shared titles, I think they only have 5 total in the same span.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I hope the Utes don't play Florida. It would be horrible to have to cheer for the Gators. I did it two years ago in the BCS title game and it was very unpleasant. Not quite as bad as cheering for a Karl Malone Lakers team, but close.

How cold you possibly cheer for the Lakers under any circumstance?

And cheering for Florida against the Utes would make you a Ute hater, not a BYU fan.

Not surprising.

RockyBalboa
11-26-2008, 08:06 PM

Florida wins by 4 TD's minimum. And that's being generous.

In fact IF...and it's a big IF Utah plays Florida I'll seriously give anyone here on the his board 4TD's as a betting line.

And I'm not joking.

The game won't even be close.

Now if they play Alabama that's an entirely different deal. I think they might have a shot there.

YOhio
11-26-2008, 08:08 PM

How cold you possibly cheer for the Lakers under any circumstance?

And cheering for Florida against the Utes would make you a Ute hater, not a BYU fan.

Not surprising.

SU was right about you.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 09:25 PM
SU was right about you.

Wha?!?

I'm not the one who abandons his sports principles.

I will make a more concerted effort to let your barbs go, as you're apparently still stinging from Saturday, so I kind of apologize for the abandoning your principles comment, even though it's something I would never do.

Babs
11-26-2008, 09:29 PM
I hope the Utes don't play Florida. It would be horrible to have to cheer for the Gators.

Not me. You won't find me cheering for any motorboating, Heisman-campaigning, homeschool-defending, alliteratively-named, Jesus-freak, fortunate son quarterback. No thank you!

YOhio
11-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Wha?!?

I'm not the one who abandons his sports principles.

I will make a more concerted effort to let your barbs go, as you're apparently still stinging from Saturday, so I kind of apologize for the abandoning your principles comment, even though it's something I would never do.

Ha! Now Mr. Il Padrino "I'm a Ute fan because Jeff Judkins gave me a free T-shirt and duffel bag" Zoot is lecturing the rest of us on sports loyalty? Go on. After you're done, I'd love to hear SU expound on the importance of religion as family tradition.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Ha! Now Mr. Il Padrino "I'm a Ute fan because Jeff Judkins gave me a free T-shirt and duffel bag" Zoot is lecturing the rest of us on sports loyalty? Go on. After you're done, I'd love to hear SU expound on the importance of religion as family tradition.

Deciding at the age of 12 to root for the Utes after some bribery by a Ute athlete < rooting for the Lakers

You rooted for the Lakers. Not even F. Lee Baily would defend an act so reprehensible, if he hadn't been disbarred.

YOhio
11-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Deciding at the age of 12 to root for the Utes after some bribery by a Ute athlete < rooting for the Lakers

Rational lies all you want, exCougar.

il Padrino Ute
11-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Rational lies all you want, exCougar.

That's hitting below the belt.

You are off the Christmas hate mail list.