• Show
Clear All

• Is B.Y.U. an elite football program?

Apparently the answer is no

http://network.yardbarker.com/colleg...llege_football
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Pheww! Good to see this issue settled, once and for all (assuming Bronco can't get the D up to the same level as the O, obviously).

Comment

While BYU has made it clear that this was not the motive, we can still ask the question: Is the BYU football program an elite program?
      How appropriate that this question be asked on 4 July, celebrating the inspiration and forethought of our Founding Fathers and those that have made the sacrifices necessary over the years to establish the freedom that makes asking such a question possible.

AMERICA ROCKS!!!!!
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I think that's a correct answer. Given the small number of schools who play top division football, it might even be too kind to consider the top 10 programs "elite". Maybe it should be the top 7 or top 5. Either way, you can't be an elite program unless you are on every recruit's radar just by showing up. That should be a minimum requirement. BYU shows up and some regions as well as some types of kids won't even give them a cursory move. Compare that to the schools generally considered elite. If Texas shows up, you might not go there but everyone would list them in their top five for the duration of the recruiting race.

I love BYU's program and they have established a tradition of excellence but they aren't elite. Independence may make them a well known name to the point that they become elite. I hope so. It would be nice to start seeing top talent out of the south and the mid-atlantic states come to BYU.

Comment

Important to note that "elite programs" are constantly in flux. Is Notre Dame still an "elite" program? Has Oregon joined the "elite" ranks? There have been periods where Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Florida, and USC have fallen from elite. Will be interesting to see if USC and Ohio St. will fall again from "elite". There are a few teams trying to climb back to "elite" status like Miami, Florida St., and Nebraska.

I'm not sure if recruting is the best determiner of "elite" status - I'd prefer winning although the two many times are closely linked. However, there are some programs who don't rate as high on recruiting rankings but still win championships.
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

To be an elite program in my mind, they have to be currently relevant in the minds of the national fanbase.

They have to play an elite schedule, both away and at home.

They have to have an enthusiastic fan base.

They have to put players into the NFL on a consistent basis.

They have to win most of the games against top 25 teams in several of the last 10 years.

ON that basis, no they are not and neither is ND.
            Last edited by byu71; 07-05-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
              I think that's a correct answer. Given the small number of schools who play top division football, it might even be too kind to consider the top 10 programs "elite". Maybe it should be the top 7 or top 5. Either way, you can't be an elite program unless you are on every recruit's radar just by showing up. That should be a minimum requirement. BYU shows up and some regions as well as some types of kids won't even give them a cursory move. Compare that to the schools generally considered elite. If Texas shows up, you might not go there but everyone would list them in their top five for the duration of the recruiting race.

I love BYU's program and they have established a tradition of excellence but they aren't elite. Independence may make them a well known name to the point that they become elite. I hope so. It would be nice to start seeing top talent out of the south and the mid-atlantic states come to BYU.
              This is interesting; who makes this list? In my mind, the following programs are obvious: USC, Texas, Florida, and tOSU. I also include Oklahoma, although I think the lack of championships in recent years puts them at risk of falling out of the elite club. Alabama has the credibility, but I think geography removes them from some recruits' consideration. I think Oregon is close and may be on the list soon, notwithstanding similar geographical considerations. Notre Dame is a question mark for me. They get consideration from most kids still, but I wonder if the recent mediocrity has tarnished the helmet in some recruits' minds.

Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Miami, and Florida State are some schools that used to be in that club but no longer are. They could get back quickly with success. Stanford is on the list for most because of academics alone, but I imagine some recruits shy away from that.

Like K-Dog, I don't think BYU is currently there. However, I would love to see it.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                To be an elite program in my mind, they have to be currently relevant in the minds of the national fanbase.

They have to play an elite schedule, both away and at home.

They have to have an enthusiastic fan base.

They have to put players into the NFL on a consistent basis.

They have to win most of the games against top 25 teams in several of the last 10 years.

ON that basis, no they are not and neither is ND.
                By those standards you're only looking at a handful of teams. But I think they're fair and my list of criteria would be much the same. I'd add a title and BCS wins to the list. You're not elite unless you have won a crystal ball and remain in the hunt with BCS bowl appearances and wins.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

The writer defined elite as top 10. Pretty obvious to see we're not a top 10 program.

I put weights to the following when developing a top program list: historical W-L results, recent W-L results, facilities, attendance, size of fan base, name recognition.

I'd put BYU in the 25ish range.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    By those standards you're only looking at a handful of teams. But I think they're fair and my list of criteria would be much the same. I'd add a title and BCS wins to the list. You're not elite unless you have won a crystal ball and remain in the hunt with BCS bowl appearances and wins.
                    I someone asked me to quickly name my top 10 elite teams they would be:

Forida, USC, Ohio St., Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee. and you know what, two more don't come off the top of my head. Those eight I am sure meet our criteria.

Top 20 elite I think would have to have at least winning record over the time against other top 25 teams and a BCS appearance. Although a lot of people clamor how great we have been under Bronco, I don't think we even qualify as top 20 elite.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      The writer defined elite as top 10. Pretty obvious to see we're not a top 10 program.

I put weights to the following when developing a top program list: historical W-L results, recent W-L results, facilities, attendance, size of fan base, name recognition.

I'd put BYU in the 25ish range.
                      Where would you put Utah?

Not meaning that as smack or to make a point--I'm sincerely curious what people would say.
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        Where would you put Utah?

Not meaning that as smack or to make a point--I'm sincerely curious what people would say.
                        About 5-10 spots ahead of BYU

Utah does have more BCS wins than two of the teams '71 mentioned, although I certainly wouldn't put them in the same category.
                        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

I someone asked me to quickly name my top 10 elite teams they would be:

Forida, USC, Ohio St., Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee. and you know what, two more don't come off the top of my head. Those eight I am sure meet our criteria.

Top 20 elite I think would have to have at least winning record over the time against other top 25 teams and a BCS appearance. Although a lot of people clamor how great we have been under Bronco, I don't think we even qualify as top 20 elite.
                          Tennessee?

That's my elite list too minus the volunteers. A few of those are trending down (USC for example). Auburn is almost there, not yet.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                            About 5-10 spots ahead of BYU

Utah does have more BCS wins than two of the teams '71 mentioned, although I certainly wouldn't put them in the same category.
                            I actually would concede Utah over BYU when it comes to body of work on the field over the last 10 years.

However, to be elite, you need an elite fan base too. BYU has that, Utah doesn't yet.

Comment

I actually would concede Utah over BYU when it comes to body of work on the field over the last 10 years.

However, to be elite, you need an elite fan base too. BYU has that, Utah doesn't yet.
                              We have the basest fans in college football, according to CB.
                              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Working...
                              X