Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pac-12 participation thread.

Because it's time.

It's an interesting time to join the PAC12. USC is in the middle of some turmoil. Oregon looks to be heading for some rough waters. Stanford has a new coach and doesn't have a history of staying power.

It would *appear* that the U. might begin participation at a pretty opportune time.

OTOH, UW seems to be making progress, USC will never go away, Oregon has the deep pockets to recover quickly...

I think the Utes have the people in place to be a serious challenger for PAC12 championships right now, but I think the U. is at least a year away.

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Ute View Post
      It's an interesting time to join the PAC12. USC is in the middle of some turmoil. Oregon looks to be heading for some rough waters. Stanford has a new coach and doesn't have a history of staying power.

It would *appear* that the U. might begin participation at a pretty opportune time.
      Seriously, have you guys no pride at all?

Comment

So are we still thinking Utah is the new king of the conference? Or are we ready to admit that going to a bowl game this year will be a good season?
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          So are we still thinking Utah is the new king of the conference? Or are we ready to admit that going to a bowl game this year will be a good season?
          The latter.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            It's always been the latter for me.

Enjoy your NCAA sanctions.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
              Seriously, have you guys no pride at all?
              No. None at all.

Comment

It's always been the latter for me.

Enjoy your NCAA sanctions.
                Enjoy not being relevant enough to get scrutiny from the national media.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

OTOH, UW seems to be making progress, USC will never go away, Oregon has the deep pockets to recover quickly...

I think the Utes have the people in place to be a serious challenger for PAC12 championships right now, but I think the U. is at least a year away.
                  I didn't realize you all had signed a new QB. I need to start looking at recruiting sites...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    I didn't realize you all had signed a new QB. I need to start looking at recruiting sites...
                    This is a pretty big enigma. Wynn was clearly never right physically last year, but that pretty quickly morphed into not being right mentally, IMO. Sometimes the physical part is the easier part to fix.

Comment

:box:

This thread is already starting to get ugly.
                      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

No. None at all.
                        Did you hear what you just said? You essentially said, "I'm so glad to be joining the conference when the strong teams are all down because we might have a chance at winning the title!" yikes.

All that the relative weakness of the traditionally strong teams does is undermine whatever success you do muster.

Comment

Did you hear what you just said? You essentially said, "I'm so glad to be joining the conference when the strong teams are all down because we might have a chance at winning the title!" yikes.

All that the relative weakness of the traditionally strong teams does is undermine whatever success you do muster.
                          You and any Utah fan that thinks Utah isn't going to face some kind of a "transition phase" is nuts. That said, I'd rather face the transition when the storng teams are down. It accelerates our transition.

Long term, I think it's a bad thing. Initially, I think the timing couldn't be better.

We can argue and we'll disagree, Babs, but I don't feel embarrassed to say that Utah is going to need an adjustment period. I'd rather win and be at the top of the conference (even if it's because USC is having problems,etc.) during that adjustment than being at the bottom.

Pride in this situation is detrimental. Admitting that Utah has some recruiting and depth building to do is not. I'd be happy to do it and challenge for the championship at the same time.

Comment

A nice welcome from a Stanford blog, with a list of dos and don'ts:

http://www.ruleoftree.com/2011/7/1/2...of-pac-12-utah

Edit: I loved the bit about the Utah at Stanford football game played four days after the October 17, 1989 earthquake. At the time I was nearby in Watsonville as an LDS missionary.
                            Last edited by Flattop; 07-01-2011, 02:08 PM.
                            Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                            Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                            Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

I don't know Babs. Winning is pretty fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X