Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand-up guys

Found this while cruising UteFans.net:

Stand-up guys. With wayward coaches such as Ohio State's Jim Tressel and backstabbing coaches such as West Virginia's Bill Stewart, the college football world is left to wonder if there are any legitimately good coaches out there who do the right thing and play by the rules. The coach I would be most surprised to find out was breaking the rules? Georgia's Mark Richt. While Tressel had the facade of being a religious man, Richt's convictions are authentic. I really do think the Bulldogs' boss is driven by an inner belief to do the right thing. Is he perfect? Of course not. But I don't think he would knowingly break NCAA rules or do something with the intent of undermining a colleague. Here are other Big Six coaches I would be stunned to learn willingly broke NCAA rules: Baylor's Art Briles, Duke's David Cutcliffe, Maryland's Randy Edsall, Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, Kansas' Turner Gill, Wake Forest's Jim Grobe, N.C. State's Tom O'Brien, BYU's Bronco Mendenhall, Penn State's Joe Paterno, Oregon State's Mike Riley, Iowa State's Paul Rhoads, Texas A&M's Mike Sherman, Louisville's Charlie Strong and Utah's Kyle Whittingham.
    Of course the masses over there blew up over all of Coach Bronco's ethical lapses in response.

This was cool as well:

Keystone camaraderie. It was great to hear that Pittsburgh and Penn State will renew their rivalry. The programs haven't played since 2000 but have agreed to a home-and-home series in 2016 and 2017. The first meeting will be at Pitt. Let's not stop there. Here are some other games I'd like to see on an annual basis - or at least a few times a decade: Nebraska-Oklahoma; Maryland-West Virginia; UCF-USF; Texas-TCU; Florida-Miami; Clemson-Georgia; Arkansas-Texas; Boise State-Oregon; BYU-Notre Dame; Indiana-Kentucky; Boston College-Connecticut; North Carolina-South Carolina; Cincinnati-Ohio State; LSU-Texas A&M; Illinois-Missouri; Marshall-West Virginia; and East Carolina-North Carolina.
    Last edited by myboynoah; 06-17-2011, 12:46 AM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

I think BYU-ND is a cool matchup. That's one BYU game I'd actually be interested in watching.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if Utah & BYU continue their rivalry, although I would like to see Utah & BYU continue with AFA.

Comment

I think it's great that kw and bm made that list.

Muuser - are you serious about the holy war not being a game you care about continuing to play? I don't understand that attitude. Rivalries are a big part of the beauty of CFB. BYU v. Utah is one of the great rivalries of the sport. It gives meaning to a game beyond W/L. It drives controversy. It elevates the level of play. It inspires traditions. That's just me. I grew up in the rivalry and would hate to see it end.

Comment

Originally posted by mUUser View Post
        I think BYU-ND is a cool matchup. That's one BYU game I'd actually be interested in watching.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if Utah & BYU continue their rivalry, although I would like to see Utah & BYU continue with AFA.
        Air Force should go Independent too. It seems to work well for the other service academies. They already compete in a bunch of sports that the MWC doesn't as well.

Comment

I'd be happy to see the rivalry die. I've always wanted to root for the Utes too, but that just never seemed possible since both schools became competitive in football and basketball. (I know Utah isn't technically competitive in basketball at this exact moment, but BYU wasn't exactly competitive in football per their record last season either.)

When that Utah basketball team went to the final four and beat North Carolina, I had as much fun rooting for them as I ever did rooting for my own team. They felt like my own team because they were from Utah. And BYU sucked so badly at the time that it didn't feel like a betrayal. I would love to be able to do that again. Maybe that now that Utah isn't the last game on our schedule and isn't in our conference anymore I can do that. If we stopped playing altogether I could DEFINITELY do that. I think it would make things around town a lot more pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
            I'd be happy to see the rivalry die. I've always wanted to root for the Utes too, but that just never seemed possible since both schools became competitive in football and basketball. (I know Utah isn't technically competitive in basketball at this exact moment, but BYU wasn't exactly competitive in football per their record last season either.)

When that Utah basketball team went to the final four and beat North Carolina, I had as much fun rooting for them as I ever did rooting for my own team. They felt like my own team because they were from Utah. And BYU sucked so badly at the time that it didn't feel like a betrayal. I would love to be able to do that again. Maybe that now that Utah isn't the last game on our schedule and isn't in our conference anymore I can do that. If we stopped playing altogether I could DEFINITELY do that. I think it would make things around town a lot more pleasant.
            Vomit emoticon. Sick emoticon. Eek emoticon.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by taekwondave View Post

Not being from Utah, I really hope that the rivalry continues. I would never cheer for the Utes in any sport and I think many other BYU fans and alumni from outside the State feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by mUUser View Post

How can you not care if the BYU/Utah rivalry continues?

That makes no sense to me. If you don't care about the rivalry game, it must not be much of a rivalry.

It will certainly mean less than it did before due to the fact that it will be in September, but there are other great rivalries that aren't played in November.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by RedSox View Post

That makes no sense to me. If you don't care about the rivalry game, it must not be much of a rivalry.

It will certainly mean less than it did before due to the fact that it will be in September, but there are other great rivalries that aren't played in November.
                  I don't care if it continues, and honestly I'm hoping it dies out. I love BYU, but I also like cheering for the Utes. How stupid is it that in Utah I'm supposed to feel bad for wearing a red shirt?
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                    I don't care if it continues, and honestly I'm hoping it dies out. I love BYU, but I also like cheering for the Utes. How stupid is it that in Utah I'm supposed to feel bad for wearing a red shirt?
                    I actually hope the rivalry continues for that reason. I cheer for the Utes anytime they are not playing BYU and their winning doesn't hurt BYU. I love to hear some BYU fans whine because I feel that way.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSox View Post

As an ALUF, I am tired of being caught in the middle between the antis and the self righteous.
                      Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                      Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                      Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Originally posted by Flattop View Post
                        As an ALUF, I am tired of being caught in the middle between the antis and the self righteous.
                        Forsake them both and become a BYU fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                          Forsake them both and become a BYU fan!
                          That'll be the day.
                          Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                          Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                          Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Flattop View Post
                              So, your answer is "religion"?

We're all caught there.

I'm in shock at how many people on the internet claim that they don't want to continue the rivalry (on both sides). Seems like it's really just a mass internet penis-measuring contest.

Seems obvious that we want to continue to play each other. The last decade the rivalry games have been incredible (with a few exceptions). Why toss that to the wind because of the strange religious undertones (that I ignore almost completely)?
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                              X