Robbie Buckner.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robbie Buckner.............

I am now officially pumped about this kid. I just pulled up some track stats for him, he was unbelievable:

This is for the state of Arkansas where they have an indoor and outdoor track season, Robbies team won both the indoor and outdoor state titles.

6.56 55 Meters 4th all time.
    10.85 100 Meters
    21.97 200 Meters 2nd all time
    48.74 400 Meters 3rd all time
    4x100 team 41.96
    4x400 team 3:31.19 2nd all time
    Long Jump 22" 7 1/2 3rd all time

This kid is a legit athlete. I am excited to watch him next year.
    *Banned*

I think we have a lot of potential talent out there in the secondary. Playing corner is, in my opinion, the 2nd hardest spot on the field next to quarterback. Guys with legit athleticism should have a higher propensity to pick things up, and from those numbers, he looks to be a very legit athlete. If nothing else, worst case scenario it looks like we should have some extra depth.

I've defended our defensive scheme in the past, but after watching TCU and Utah do whatever they wanted to our D, I wonder if having a better athlete who still plays 12 yards off the ball will make a whole lot of difference. Against most teams on our schedule, sure it works great. But when you get teams who are disciplined enough to not make mistakes, you're in trouble and have to rely on your offense to just out score opponents.

Comment

I really hope so. I also hope that Hill has the balls to put him out on the field. Unfortunately Hill is very loyal to "HIS GUYS" that are there already or who he selected to be his starters from day 1 no matter how badly they play on Saturdays.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
        I really hope so. I also hope that Hill has the balls to put him out on the field. Unfortunately Hill is very loyal to "HIS GUYS" that are there already or who he selected to be his starters from day 1 no matter how badly they play on Saturdays.
        Do you think Hill will be back? Or might we see some movement on BYU's coaching staff?

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          I am now officially pumped about this kid. I just pulled up some track stats for him, he was unbelievable:

This is for the state of Arkansas where they have an indoor and outdoor track season, Robbies team won both the indoor and outdoor state titles.

6.56 55 Meters 4th all time.
          10.85 100 Meters
          21.97 200 Meters 2nd all time
          48.74 400 Meters 3rd all time
          4x100 team 41.96
          4x400 team 3:31.19 2nd all time
          Long Jump 22" 7 1/2 3rd all time

This kid is a legit athlete. I am excited to watch him next year.
          If that mile relay time is the 2nd all time then Arkansas has very shitty track and field. The record at my high school was 3:11.3. The 4x100 mtr time is not particularly impressive either.

Saying that, his speed is obvious. He is clearly fast enough to be a good D1 cb. That was a year that BYU actually had decent cb play with a healthy Justin Robinson and Ben Criddle. If Robbie had been a true freshman this year he would have likely played.

Remember that it was Goat who first warned of the Church News pimping a starting cb tandem of Robbie Buckner and Brandon Bradley. If I know the Mormon Church, which I am quite confident in saying I do, it will get more mileage out of two african-american LDS rms starting as BYU's cornerbacks than I do out of stories about masturbating because of my infertility issues...sadly I will only have one more of those as Monday was my last. For those interested the vasectomy was a complete success as I can now watch my left limit, watch my right limit and mow down everything in my lane without worrying about what I might create when I knock down the 50 mtr target. I am blanks, blanks I am.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
            Do you think Hill will be back? Or might we see some movement on BYU's coaching staff?
            That is a good question and one I don't know the answer for. I think Hill's stock was a lot higher after 06 and 07. I think that his stock plummeted this fall similar to the way the Dow Jones did. My personal opinion is he won't have the offers from a better situation to move on and I don't think he gets canned. So I guess what I am saying is IMO he will be back.
            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Robbie Buckner was ahead of Brandon Howard on the depth chart before he left on his mission. Granted both of them were redshirting,,,but still.

The kid has speed to burn, but my worries are the same as others,,,in that will it really matter if Hill won't play him?

Bronco has always been vocal about putting the best 11 players on the field, but that was clearly not the case this season and that is frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
                Robbie Buckner was ahead of Brandon Howard on the depth chart before he left on his mission. Granted both of them were redshirting,,,but still.

The kid has speed to burn, but my worries are the same as others,,,in that will it really matter if Hill won't play him?

Bronco has always been vocal about putting the best 11 players on the field, but that was clearly not the case this season and that is frustrating.
                I tend to believe that as Bradley and Rich proved themselves they were getting more and more reps.

I still believe the issue with BYU's defense was more the lbs than the defensive backfield.

I am a Jaimie Hill fan and hope he stays. The only issue I really am bothered was the loss of G. Pittman and I think that the major reason there was that injuries kept him off the field. If G was healthy enough to play I bet he would have and if he had played I bet the other issues would not have occurred.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post

This should be every ones concerns. If it isn't, just look at how he left Kellan Fowler in as the starting free safety all season. I hate to keep beating a dead horse with this one but I really can't get over the fact he started every game this season.
                  "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                    I tend to believe that as Bradley and Rich proved themselves they were getting more and more reps.

I still believe the issue with BYU's defense was more the lbs than the defensive backfield.

I am a Jaimie Hill fan and hope he stays. The only issue I really am bothered was the loss of G. Pittman and I think that the major reason there was that injuries kept him off the field. If G was healthy enough to play I bet he would have and if he had played I bet the other issues would not have occurred.
                    Andrew Rich was clearly and easily the best option at Safety/DB going into the season....and he only ever started if one or the other was injured.

Kellen Fowler isn't even a D-I athlete. He wouldn't be 3rd string at most Non-BCS School rosters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                      This should be every ones concerns. If it isn't, just look at how he left Kellan Fowler in as the starting free safety all season. I hate to keep beating a dead horse with this one but I really can't get over the fact he started every game this season.
                      IMO, that horse can't be beat enough. Kellen Fowler is as bad as any safety I've seen at BYU and that includes starters, backups, walkons, whatever it might be. The fact that he started every game and played most of the defensive snaps is absolutely mind boggling.

It would be hilarious to go over film after games and just pick out all the mistakes, etc, Fowler made throughout each game.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                      X