Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vai Sikahema blog on hirings

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/76/1...ions.html?pg=1

I don't know if this has been talked about over here but it's getting a lot of play at CB. Players from Hawaii have done a lot to build the program and I don't think it's hurts to ask for a little pay back.

The CB crowd is going nuts thinking that Vai has turned on BYU. This is one of the things that bugs me about CB. If you aren't constantly blowing sunshine up their ass then you are the enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/76/1...ions.html?pg=1

I don't know if this has been talked about over here but it's getting a lot of play at CB. Players from Hawaii have done a lot to build the program and I don't think it's hurts to ask for a little pay back.
      There's way more here than meets the eye.

But even based on what does meet the eye - there's no way Bronco shld have hired Atuaia over DuPaix. And while it's fine for Vai to make the case that BYU should, in general, be working harder to find the right spots for Poly/minority hires, Bronco needed a guy with real coaching experience to help transition a new OC - in this case picking Atuaia over DuPaix wld have been borderline retarded.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

This thing is months old and was talked about a lot at the time. I haven't been paying attention to the chatter much over there today, but I just assumed it was another article.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Yeah - I'm surprised folks are up in arms about something that happened back in February.

I listened to a radio interview with Vai at the time that he wrote the blog and remember thinking he was just plain wrong in this case.

His biggest complaint was that Bronco said something to the effect that it might happen one day (hiring Atuaia), but that it wasn't his time yet. Vai's question was "why isn't it his time?"

I can answer that - to a degree. It has little to do with Atuaia and EVERYTHING to do with BYU's current circumstances. Your bringing on a brand new WR coach and a brand new OC already. Vai made it sound like Atuaia and DuPaix have the exact same experience and background, and that it is a no brainer to hire Atuaia. This simply isn't true. DuPaix has experience as an OC, though at a lower level of football. And he brings more experience.

I think it's funny that Vai says he doesn't believe in affirmative action, etc., but then he goes on to say that he believes that Bronco should've hired a coach with less experience based on race alone - because Atuaia is a good guy and would've done a good enough job. If feels like Vai gives Atuaia too much and not enough credit all at the same time.

I think Bronco would love to hire Atuaia, and really likes him. I just think he recognizes what his team and coaching staff need most right now.

All that aside - BYU did replace a Black coach and a Polynesian coach with two white coaches. And I think it does make sense to have as much cultural diversity on your coaching staff as you can - but I would have that as a secondary concern with having good coaches that fit the needs of the team being first.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            The CB crowd is going nuts thinking that Vai has turned on BYU. This is one of the things that bugs me about CB. If you aren't constantly blowing sunshine up their ass then you are the enemy.
            and this is the exact reason why I despise BYU and it's athletic teams.
            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
              Drama queen.

Comment

You despise BYU and it's athletic teams because of a website? Seems bizarre to me, but hey, who am I to argue.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

It's because in Mormon culture, disagreement is treason.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    You despise BYU and it's athletic teams because of a website? Seems bizarre to me, but hey, who am I to argue.
                    Or because of the fanbase that pollutes that website and what they have to say. Maybe the way they killed one of their own recently about things was a little more personal to me than it would have been to you. Nothing bizare about it.
                    Last edited by Hot Lunch; 06-11-2011, 06:51 AM.
                    "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

CB is just a bunch of zoobie students and dudes who whack it when the wife and three kids are safely tucked away at night and play mullah on the internet board to make up for it.

Comment

So...do you despise ALL colleges and their athletic teams?

I dare you to find a college team open fansite that DOESN'T have fans who eat their own now and then. I'd love to see one - because quite frankly it would give me hope that unicorns are alive and well out there somewhere too.

That is the nature of team fan sites. You have some folks who can think critically and post reasonable thoughts. You have some freaks who seem to always harping on one thing or the other; they can't see a broad perspective and tend to appear irrational. And then you have the filler. The regular folks who add comments and fluff but nothing really new.

If you want to use this as your current reasoning for hating on BYU, that's fine. It's your call. Just keep another reason in your back pocket to pull out for the next time a group goes off on UFN - we wouldn't want you to have to start hating on all of the Utes athletic teams too.

Comment

Or because of the fanbase that pollutes that website and what they have to say. Maybe the way they killed one of their own recently about things was a little more personal to me than it would have been to you. Nothing bizare about it.
                          UFN does the same thing.

Comment

Not all of the CB crowd are this way. I'd love to get TDAWG over here. I'd also love to see Yardtime show up here more often. However for the most part a great many of those folks are clueless dweebs. Hence another in a long line of reasons that most of us migrated here.

To be fair you Yewties have the exact same problem with your fanbase.

Comment

For the record I think the former player media personalities from both sides have done a very good job. They have no problem telling like it is while still remaining loyal to their teams. None of these guys started out as pros but they have slowly filed down the rough edges. Gunther bugged the crap out of me when he was playing but these days I can't get enough of the guy. He's personable and gives fair takes about both sides of the rivalry. Jan is a great counterbalance to Gunther's bombast. Hans and OC is a lot of fun. In fact OC won me over with his hilarious stories about being a walk-on at the U.

Comment

Working...
                              X