The official 2011-2012 College Football thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official 2011-2012 College Football thread

I love college football and know quite a few on here who do as well. I figure we should have a place where we can start discussing this upcoming season beyond just BYU and Utah (or USC and Oregon).

There are some pretty interesting story lines going on this year. One thing that has been jumping out at me lately is this West Virginia situation. What a circus the last couple of weeks have been. But it looks like they are buying out Stewart’s contract (probably for the better) and they’ll officially start the Dana Holgorsen era. WVU has an amazing defense and some pretty good talent. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do with that offense. Outside of this the Big East doesn’t interest me at all.

The Big Ten looks wide open now. Michigan State probably looks like the favorite, with Nebraska up there if they can get consistency out of Martinez. It’ll be interesting to see if some of the teams getting a lot of hype will live up to it: Notre Dame, Florida State, Oklahoma, and South Carolina.

Some teams I just can’t buy into. Stanford as a top 10 team? Even with Luck I don’t think they are a 10 win team. They lost so much on both lines and a fiery coach. Alabama will get hype because it’s Alabama but they lose a lot of offense. LSU might get some offense together now that Crowton is gone. That’s probably my pick to win the SEC as of now.

Anyway, I can’t wait for the season to start already. Only 3 months to go.

We're going to have ONE thread for the entire 11-12 season? Wow. The Lakers thread is finally going down!

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      We're going to have ONE thread for the entire 11-12 season? Wow. The Lakers thread is finally going down!

Yeah, I think we will stick to weeks like last year....

Comment

I'm biased, but Alabama is legit. They will miss Julio Jones, certainly, and they're still figuring out who will play at quarterback (it's between a RS soph and RS freshman; both were highly-touted coming out of high school). But Trent Richardson is a beast of a football player. And the defense will be great. They're drawing comparisons to the '09 team that suffocated offenses all year.

As for Stanford, they're a 10-win team. Assuming they can sneak by Arizona in Tucson in a tricky late start, they'll be 7-0 when they travel to USC on Oct. 29th. And they finish the season with 3 difficult games, but all in Palo Alto. The PAC-12 North (and, for all intents and purposes, the PAC-12) will come down to Oregon @ Stanford Nov. 12th.

I'm curious to see how Boise does. They're a legitimate preseason top-10 team, but I'm curious to see if the unfamiliarity of a few teams trip them up (specifically, AFA's triple option and Rocky Long's defensive schemes). Also, TCU should have all their potential kinks ironed out by the time they make the trip up to Boise. I'm really looking forward to that game.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
          I'm biased, but Alabama is legit. They will miss Julio Jones, certainly, and they're still figuring out who will play at quarterback (it's between a RS soph and RS freshman; both were highly-touted coming out of high school). But Trent Richardson is a beast of a football player. And the defense will be great. They're drawing comparisons to the '09 team that suffocated offenses all year.

As for Stanford, they're a 10-win team. Assuming they can sneak by Arizona in Tucson in a tricky late start, they'll be 7-0 when they travel to USC on Oct. 29th. And they finish the season with 3 difficult games, but all in Palo Alto. The PAC-12 North (and, for all intents and purposes, the PAC-12) will come down to Oregon @ Stanford Nov. 12th.

I'm curious to see how Boise does. They're a legitimate preseason top-10 team, but I'm curious to see if the unfamiliarity of a few teams trip them up (specifically, AFA's triple option and Rocky Long's defensive schemes). Also, TCU should have all their potential kinks ironed out by the time they make the trip up to Boise. I'm really looking forward to that game.
          BSU is one clausen type hit on Bradford from having a OU type season that year. They are replacing quite a few key players. Georgia should end their run early this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            BSU is one clausen type hit on Bradford from having a OU type season that year. They are replacing quite a few key players. Georgia should end their run early this year.
            True. But if he stays healthy they could be BCS bowling.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              True. But if he stays healthy they could be BCS bowling.
              I am saying BCS bowling. Boise brings back 4 out of 5 starters up front I believe. The only thing Boise is really replacing is their two wide outs. Pretty much everyone is back other than Titus or Young.

I have agree with BO, Bama is going to be legit this year. They bring back a lot of stars on D. They return Richardson and a good amount of starters up front on Offense. The other team that will be fun to watch is OU. It is going to be fun year for college football. Pretty much every year is a fun year though.
              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                I am saying BCS bowling. Boise brings back 4 out of 5 starters up front I believe. The only thing Boise is really replacing is their two wide outs. Pretty much everyone is back other than Titus or Young.

I have agree with BO, Bama is going to be legit this year. They bring back a lot of stars on D. They return Richardson and a good amount of starters up front on Offense. The other team that will be fun to watch is OU. It is going to be fun year for college football. Pretty much every year is a fun year though.

Which was Kellen's 1-2 punch. However, I agree with you, I see another fun run to the BCS this year. I see Kirby being Kellen's check down receiver and having a rather surprising season.
                I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  Georgia is one of those teams I just can't figure out. They have all sorts of potential but come up just short most of the time. I don't think they beat Boise this year. But Boise is due to lose one of these big games at some point. Moore is incredibly accurate. I think its probably likely they will be headed to a BCS bowl game again. Air Force and TCU will be interesting games. Not sure if anyone else on their schedule will be able to run with them.

I agree with BO and HL that Bama will have an amazing defense, but I can't see them winning them all. In 09 they had a first year starter but a couple of those games could have gone either way (Tenn in particular). I just think they lost too many key play makers in their offense. Their defense will keep them in every game but I think they drop at least two of them (maybe just wishful thinking).

Oklahoma is stacked with talent. Florida State early in the season will be a fun game to watch. I know I said Oklahoma is overrated but there isn't a lot of competition for them in the Big 12. A&M and OK ST are probably the toughest games but they have A&M at home.

Another thing that will be interesting is to see where Russel Wilson ends up. If he lands in Wisconsin they might be able to make a run again.
                  Last edited by USUC; 06-09-2011, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
                    The Big Ten looks wide open now. Michigan State probably looks like the favorite, with Nebraska up there if they can get consistency out of Martinez.
                    Nebraska's Big Ten schedule is not favorable - the Huskers play all the Big Ten heavies (if one wants to call them that):
                    10/01: @Wisconsin
                    10/08: Ohio St.
                    10/29: Michigan St.
                    11/12: @Penn St.
                    11/19: @Michigan
                    11/25: Iowa

Not sure if Husker QB Martinez's inconsistency was due to abysmal play calling, inexperience (RS Freshman), injury (high ankle sprain), or ability. This season he'll have a new OC, will be a Soph., and should be back to 100%. But no one really knows if he can pass accurately and consistently. Also, Nebraska's only other experienced QB transferred leaving a RS Freshman as Martinez's backup.
                    Oklahoma is stacked with talent. Florida State early in the season will be a fun game to watch. I know I said Oklahoma is overrated but there isn't a lot of competition for them in the Big 12. A&M and OK ST are probably the toughest games but they have A&M at home.
                    Counting the Longhorns out already? Texas has too much talent not to rebound but I haven't been paying attention too closely with things in Austin. I can't see a repeat of 2010 for Texas, probably because Texas beating Nebraska in Lincoln last year had to be one of the few bright spots for the Longhorns. Just can't see Texas not being in the Big 12 mix.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                      Counting the Longhorns out already? Texas has too much talent not to rebound but I haven't been paying attention too closely with things in Austin. I can't see a repeat of 2010 for Texas, probably because Texas beating Nebraska in Lincoln last year had to be one of the few bright spots for the Longhorns. Just can't see Texas not being in the Big 12 mix.
                      Yes, Texas beating Nebraska on their corn field clearly was not a fluke.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Nebraska's Big Ten schedule is not favorable - the Huskers play all the Big Ten heavies (if one wants to call them that):
                        10/01: @Wisconsin
                        10/08: Ohio St.
                        10/29: Michigan St.
                        11/12: @Penn St.
                        11/19: @Michigan
                        11/25: Iowa

Not sure if Husker QB Martinez's inconsistency was due to abysmal play calling, inexperience (RS Freshman), injury (high ankle sprain), or ability. This season he'll have a new OC, will be a Soph., and should be back to 100%. But no one really knows if he can pass accurately and consistently. Also, Nebraska's only other experienced QB transferred leaving a RS Freshman as Martinez's backup.

Texas definitely has the talent to beat anyone. But They are coming off a 5-7 season and failed to make a bowl game. I can't imagine even Texas making that kind of jump so quickly. I think they are a serious contender in 2012.

I didn't know Green transferred. What was his reasoning?

Comment

I will never count Texas out at the start of a season, They get too much raw talent to do so. Having said that, the QB play last season was not the best. While Gilbert completed a decent 59% of his passes, he had 17 INTs and didn't perform well in pressure. Over half the offensive staff is either in their first year in a new position or first year at UT. Defense has 3 first year coaches. All this can be positive, but those are a lot of questions as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                            I think the weekly threads during the season are the best way to go. I imagined this as more of a general discussion thread. The Lakers thread is safe.

Comment

I didn't know Green transferred. What was his reasoning?
                              Cody Green is a great team player and a very good athlete. Just not sure if he'll ever be a true starting QB; although in 2 seasons he is 4-0 as a starter. Green is transferring with the blessing of Nebraska and the Cornhusker staff is trying to help him find a new home. He really needs a change of scenery and fresh coaching to help him develop. His development seems to have stalled at Nebraska and has probably lead to some confidence issues (he really could have benefiited from a redshirt year but it didn't happen).

Green couldn't beat out Martinez and both QB's have the same weaknesses: pose under pressure/turnovers, reading defenses, and passing accuracy. Martinez is the better runner; neither is a proficient passer. The other development is the Spring showing of RS Freshman QB Brion Carnes. It's widely believed that Carnes has played himself to 2nd string QB behind Martinez and there is talk that if Martinez goes in the tank again in 2011, that Carnes will be the starter. Supposedly, he is a much better passer than Martinez and a very good runner but probably not as explosive as Martinez. The big uncertainty is the offense Nebraska will run under new OC Tim Beck. It will be some version of the spread option - hopfully there will be coherent play calling.

Cody Green picked a good time to transfer. He still has a redshirt year and two years of eligibility after he sits out 2011.
                              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                              X