X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big East expansion groundswell thread

Lets start with a comparison:

ACC: $1.86 billion from ABC/ESPN over 12 years
    Big Ten: $2.8 billion from Big Ten Network for 25 years, $1 billion from ABC/ESPN through 2016
    Big 12: $1.1 billion from Fox over 13 years and $480 million from ABC/ESPN for eight years (Texas gets additional $15 million from ESPN for its Longhorn Network)
    SEC: $2.25 billion from ESPN for 15 years, $825 million from CBS for 15 years
    Pac-12: $3 billion from ESPN and Fox for 12 years

Big East: $200 million from ABC/ESPN until 2013
    Seems pretty obvious they are going to need to get some money. They are in large media markets so IMO the ACC number doesnt seem out of reach.
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 05-24-2011, 10:26 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

BYU <> "East"

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

Big Ten: $2.8 billion from Big Ten Network for 25 years, $1 billion from ABC/ESPN through 2016
      Big 12: $1.1 billion from Fox over 13 years and $480 million from ABC/ESPN for eight years (Texas gets additional $15 million from ESPN for its Longhorn Network)
      SEC: $2.25 billion from ESPN for 15 years, $825 billion from CBS for 15 years

Seems pretty obvious they are going to need to get some money. They are in large media markets so IMO the ACC number doesnt seem out of reach.

Maybe Congress needs to look into CBS/SEC tax to help balance the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by SportUTE View Post
        BYU <> "East"
        Utah <> "Pacific"
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          Utah <> "Pacific"
          In order of accurate description:

1. Utah - Pacific
          2. BYU - Independent
          3. BYU - West Coast
          4. BYU - Big East (either term)

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post

Maybe Congress needs to look into CBS/SEC tax to help balance the budget.
            Well at least tax the money given to the SEC players and/or their parents.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

SEC: $2.25 billion from ESPN for 15 years, $825 million from CBS for 15 years

The ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and PAC 12 have all negotiated their TV contracts in the last two years. When did the BE last negotiate theirs? Does it not stand to reason that if they expanded prior to their next deal tha they'd cash in too?
              "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                The ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, and PAC 12 have all negotiated their TV contracts in the last two years. When did the BE last negotiate theirs? Does it not stand to reason that if they expanded prior to their next deal tha they'd cash in too?

The Big East will obviously score a bigger contract, but that will be on the basis of their hoops programs. Their football programs will struggle to justify a huge expense by one of the networks. The contract will go up, but I doubt it gets anywhere near the Big 12, let alone the PAC-12 or SEC.

Comment

If BYU were to accept a hypothetical invite to the Big East, Would that signal the death knell of the Big 12? I don't see the Big 12 adding any other schools to increase their total media value.

EDIT: I would think that Big 10/P12/SEC will start/resume poaching Big 12 members again.
                  Last edited by wally; 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                    The Big East will obviously score a bigger contract, but that will be on the basis of their hoops programs. Their football programs will struggle to justify a huge expense by one of the networks. The contract will go up, but I doubt it gets anywhere near the Big 12, let alone the PAC-12 or SEC.
                    Let's for arguments sake say they added memphis, ucf and east carolina in football and only memphis in bball. Couldn't they get a similar deal as the acc? A championship game. Added teams not to mention they are in some
                    Very large markets. What if the yes network decided they wanted to get some college football games? Seems like a natural partner for the big east.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
                    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                      If BYU were to accept a hypothetical invite to the Big East, Would that signal the death knell of the Big 12? I don't see the Big 12 adding any other schools to increase their total media value.

EDIT: I would think that Big 10/P12/SEC will start/resume poaching Big 12 members again.
                      Poaching the Big 12 can get complicated. The only programs worth poaching are Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. Texas, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech are all chained together. Texas will not go to the SEC and Texas A&M will not go to the PAC-12. Texas Tech is not welcome in the Big Ten. As much as OU dislikes Texas, the Sooners long ago calculated that they are better off with the Longhorns then without them.

So I think the Big 12 stays together because that's what Texas wants - the Longhorns continue their rivalries with OU and A&M, get a full conference schedule, and their own TV network. They are the highest revenue and most profitable football program and are all about preserving what they've staked out.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

As I suggested to our favorite boob expert goatnapper the sensible thing for the Big East to do is get Army and Navy as Football only schools. Napper responded that they wouldn't go to the big east because they want to play a watered down schedule so they can go to bowl games. I think he is partially right but I think it has more to do with the annual Army navy game that would have to be moved. According to a cbs article

If the academies are the answer, would they be open to moving the Army-Navy game from its customary December spot to November? It's been nearly 30 years since the Army-Navy game was played around Thanksgiving. Plus the schools already have television deals with CBS Sports Network and future bowl agreements in place.

A conference schedule would also limit both schools' scheduling flexibility. However, the Big East could make all of those "hurdles" easier to manage for the academies with a huge annual payday as part of the league's new media rights deal.

Also, Army (which had an unsuccessful run in Conference USA from 1998-2004) and Navy must consider their futures as independents. They're both in good shape now, but what about five years from now as the power leagues grow stronger and the financial and competitive gaps between the automatic qualifying BCS schools and non-AQ BCS schools continue to widen?
                        I Say the most sense is Army Navy Football only and Memphis Full member.

The divisions are then split:
                        South
                        Memphis
                        Lville
                        Cincy
                        S. Fla
                        TCU
                        W Va

North
                        Pitt
                        Army
                        Navy
                        Uconn
                        Cuse
                        Rutgers

Comment

Sorry if already posted. This guy explains everything:

http://www.byusportsguy.com/football...g-thumbs-down/
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Well they have to expand to stay a conference. East Carolina has already applied. Who else?

Comment

Well they have to expand to stay a conference. East Carolina has already applied. Who else?
                              SDSU and UNLV. Pretty good basketball programs.

Comment

Working...
                              X