Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BYU turns down football-only invite from Big East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU turns down football-only invite from Big East?

http://deepshadesofblue.com/big-name...-face-cougars/

In recent days a rumor has also surfaced regarding BYU potentially joining the Big East Conference. Deep Shades of Blue has learned that the conference did indeed contact BYU about becoming a football-only member, but that the proposal was turned down by the BYU administration.

Interesting!

Just read that. Wonder if it's true?
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        I swear I'm not laughing.

Comment

It is pretty interesting, I am wondering if this is being leaked out to put a little pressure on Big 12-2 to get its act in gear about inviting BYU to the Big 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Superdeluxe View Post
            It is pretty interesting, I am wondering if this is being leaked out to put a little pressure on Big 12-2 to get its act in gear about inviting BYU to the Big 12.
            How would byu turning down an offer be leverage?
            There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
            Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
            …
            Tomorrow is Saturday
            And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by landpoke View Post
              How would byu turning down an offer be leverage?
              Dont you have some sheep to shear or something?
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Plus, I wouldn't leak via DSOB.

There are better leak outlets.

Comment

I wish we could get a decent, which means BCS teams, home schedule as a done deal for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. I want to see something in concrete that Holmoe can in fact pull this thing off and we don't end up being a great road show and asking the fans in LES to pay the freight by showing up to watch the crap come into town.

If we get that done, these rumors about joining a BCS conference and our turning it down wouldn't bother me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Dont you have some sheep to shear or something?
                    Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out this objective outside observer thing.
                    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                    …
                    Tomorrow is Saturday
                    And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      I wish we could get a decent, which means BCS teams, home schedule as a done deal for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. I want to see something in concrete that Holmoe can in fact pull this thing off and we don't end up being a great road show and asking the fans in LES to pay the freight by showing up to watch the crap come into town.

If we get that done, these rumors about joining a BCS conference and our turning it down wouldn't bother me at all.
                      In fairness, joining the Big East wouldn't exactly be a cure for In-town Crap Blues.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        In fairness, joining the Big East wouldn't exactly be a cure for In-town Crap Blues.
                        I will admit I am not all that familiar with the Big East. Off the top of my head, West Virginia, Miami, Louisville, TCU, Pitt..

I realize we have USU, Idaho, Idaho St. NMSU and San Jose St., but I think the teams from the big least would be a definite uptick at LES.

Road schedule now might actually be better the way it is now, but I am more concerned about the home schedule than I am the road schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                          Plus, I wouldn't leak via DSOB.

There are better leak outlets.
                          That was my first thought when I read who was reporting this.
                          "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            I will admit I am not all that familiar with the Big East. Off the top of my head, West Virginia, Miami, Louisville, TCU, Pitt..

I realize we have USU, Idaho, Idaho St. NMSU and San Jose St., but I think the teams from the big least would be a definite uptick at LES.

Road schedule now might actually be better the way it is now, but I am more concerned about the home schedule than I am the road schedule.
                            Miami left the big east, took Boston College and Va Tech with it. This was a few years ago.

WVA is cool. Pitt sucks. the rest....ugh.

sigpic

Comment

There are two reasons you want to be in a BCS conference:

1. Guaranteed route to the title game.
                              2. Money

With BYU's ESPN deal, BYU has enough money. No, it isn't PAC12 money, but BYU has what it needs or has ways to get whatever it needs to be competitive. I don't see the money issue as a big deal anymore.

Even with a BCS "in" for the title game, everything has to fall just right for a team to play for a national championship. In all liklihood, how often is BYU going to be in contention even if they were in a BCS conference? Once every 7 years? Every 10 years? IMO, that's not worth the control that BYU would have to give up or the downside to joining the Big East for FB only. In fact, the Big East doesn't appeal to me at all really.

Of course, the key is still scheduling. If BYU can figure out a way to schedule good teams, and I think the rumored H/H/neutral method is a good way to go, I really think Independent is the way to be. Certainly better than the Big East and probably even better than the Big 12.
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                              X