Sprinkler System: help me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinkler System: help me please?

I was out doing yard work and noticed a large pool of water along the side of my house. After (inwardly) blaming the neighbors, I realized that the source of the water was one of my sprinkler boxes. I pulled off the lid and the box was completely overflowing.

After shutting off the main sprinkler valve, I used the wet-vac to drain the water out and this is what I saw:

The actuator valves (blue and yellow arrows) had been left open, so I manually closed them. Then I turned the main sprinkler valve on and observed no leaking. Then I manually turned each valve on one at a time. When I turned on the blue arrow valve, water began spraying from the filter housing (green circled object) from where it unscrews at its base. I took it off, examined it, and found no cracks.

Here are my questions. Any help is appreciated:
    • What could cause the filter housing to leak? Was it because the actuator valve was opened too far and the housing's threaded connection isn't built to handle that much pressure?
    • Why does only one of the lines have a filter? Is it a necessity for a drip system? (That line may be the drip system but I haven't figured out for sure yet.)
    • When my sprinkler controller automatically activates each valve, will it have problems if I turned each actuator valve too hard?

Again, I appreciate anybody's willingness to help.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Originally posted by Lost_Student View Post
    Here are my questions. Any help is appreciated:
    • What could cause the filter housing to leak? Was it because the actuator valve was opened too far and the housing's threaded connection isn't built to handle that much pressure?
    • Why does only one of the lines have a filter? Is it a necessity for a drip system? (That line may be the drip system but I haven't figured out for sure yet.)
    • When my sprinkler controller automatically activates each valve, will it have problems if I turned each actuator valve too hard?

Again, I appreciate anybody's willingness to help.
    I'd figure leaks are due to old age or freezing. Did you shut off and drain the system before winter? You might not see a crack on first glance, but there must be one there. I would think the connection would be designed to handle pressures typically found in a residential neighborhood. Are you sure where each line goes? Maybe the filter is intended for a line with a water fountain, to let kids get drinks outside.

Not sure how you can turn the valve too hard when it's electrically operated with a solenoid.

Just replace the filter (are you sure that's what it is?) or remove it from the system entirely, and try again to see if you have the leaks fixed.

Comment

Working...
    X