Just bought my FB tickets, ouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought my FB tickets, ouch

I guess we got seven home games and they raised the price of the tickets, at least they did mine. I am all for capitalism. Apparently with the excitement over the potential, they can justify raising the price. Also, let's face it, there are a lot of people who will pay good money to go see their team win. In the sixth grade they got quite a thrill out of beating up 3rd graders.

Anyway, I am complaining a bit, but really know I shouldn't be. If they can charge it they should. I just don't want to hear any of the crap about how BYU is different. When it comes to chasing the buck, they are like anyone else. Good for them, just don't pretend to be something you aren't.

They're very clever. They'll raise the total price this year but keep the per ticket the same. Then next year when the number of games drops down one, they'll keep the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      They're very clever. They'll raise the total price this year but keep the per ticket the same. Then next year when the number of games drops down one, they'll keep the same price.
      I sold my tickets last year so I am not sure what the price per ticket was. I do know two years ago the price per ticket was $75, this year they are $83.50, unless my brother ripped me off.

Comment

Per ticket price is the same, no?

Also, Jay... I'm guessing we will consistently get 7 home (possibly crappy) games a year.

Comment

The home games against Idaho, Idaho St, SJ St, NM St, and Utah are going to be worth every penny.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This is the first year in some time that I haven't purchased season tickets.

I've got a son playing little league, and his games have gotten later and later in the day as he gets older. It seems like last year so many overlapped that, with the exception of only 1-2 games, my choice was to miss one or the other.

We decided that we'll wait until his schedule comes out and then see about picking up tickets to a game or two when we know there isn't a conflict.

Being completely honest, this decision was driven in part by BYU's decision to put the students in the section where we've been sitting for the past 30 years or so.

Increasing ticket prices don't bother me too much. I'm not wealthy, and I could see myself being priced out. But I also recognize that there is a cost to running an athletic dept, and it has to be paid somehow.

For what it's worth - who BYU is playing has never been a big deal to me in determining whether or not to purchase tickets. Sure, I like the big home games against Utah and TCU when they were in conference. And everytime someone like USC, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida St., Penn St., etc. came to town it increased the excitement. But I just really like BYU and really like football - and it didn't bother me to attend games against the likes of SDSU, UNM, Wyoming, CSU, Tulsa, or even Murray St., Northern Iowa, etc. I'd take the kids to the games others weren't interested in, and had no trouble getting buddies willing to go to the rest.

I guess this is an experiment of sorts. We'll see how it goes and decide from there if we need to jump back on the season ticket train.

Comment

So riddle me this folks...

The only game I see myself coming to this year is Utah. If I buy my 4 season tickets for about 450.00, and use the Utah tickets, what do you think I could get for the other 6 games if I sell them?

They are all 4 together on an isle, but they are above the band and to the left just a bit. (If you are looking from behind the band.)

I wonder if it would just be cheaper/easier to buy Utah tickets solo or from a scalper.

I don't really want to pay 450 and use the 4 tickets and then only get 200 for the others. 250 for the Utah game is kinda not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

I don't really want to pay 450 and use the 4 tickets and then only get 200 for the others. 250 for the Utah game is kinda not cheap.
                I have only been to a few home BYU games recently, but the ticket market that I remember for those I would be surprised if you get $200 for the remaining games.

Also if you are willing to spend $250 a ticket you will end up with much better seats for the Utah game.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  I have only been to a few home BYU games recently, but the ticket market that I remember for those I would be surprised if you get $200 for the remaining games.

Also if you are willing to spend $250 a ticket you will end up with much better seats for the Utah game.
                  250 for 4 is still not cheap.

Comment

Reminds me....for sale...4 donor seats in the west stands!
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      This is the first year in some time that I haven't purchased season tickets.

I've got a son playing little league, and his games have gotten later and later in the day as he gets older. It seems like last year so many overlapped that, with the exception of only 1-2 games, my choice was to miss one or the other.

We decided that we'll wait until his schedule comes out and then see about picking up tickets to a game or two when we know there isn't a conflict.

Being completely honest, this decision was driven in part by BYU's decision to put the students in the section where we've been sitting for the past 30 years or so.

Increasing ticket prices don't bother me too much. I'm not wealthy, and I could see myself being priced out. But I also recognize that there is a cost to running an athletic dept, and it has to be paid somehow.

For what it's worth - who BYU is playing has never been a big deal to me in determining whether or not to purchase tickets. Sure, I like the big home games against Utah and TCU when they were in conference. And everytime someone like USC, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida St., Penn St., etc. came to town it increased the excitement. But I just really like BYU and really like football - and it didn't bother me to attend games against the likes of SDSU, UNM, Wyoming, CSU, Tulsa, or even Murray St., Northern Iowa, etc. I'd take the kids to the games others weren't interested in, and had no trouble getting buddies willing to go to the rest.

I guess this is an experiment of sorts. We'll see how it goes and decide from there if we need to jump back on the season ticket train.
                      The only reason I am buying the tickets is so I can keep my place. Here is the stinking problem though I have experienced through the years with BYU. I will buy these tickets, $1,200 a year and in three years when the schedule gets really good I will get bumped to lesser seats. It will be because some new CC members come along and BYU tells them if they throw down $100,000 they can get good seats. Actually, that one I live with, it is part of life.

The second case though really pisses me off. All of a sudden there are a lot of new "friends of BYU" who want tickets. These new folks who want good seats and aren't coughing up any big bucks should be shown where the students sit.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        The only reason I am buying the tickets is so I can keep my place....
                        I get what you are saying. The seats I'm giving up are the same ones I used to sit in when I attended games with my dad. He passed away more than 20 years ago. They aren't great - in the endzone. I would probably keep purchasing them for sentimental reasons alone and continue to give away tickets to games I can't attend - too tough to sell except for when the biggest opponents are in town. But since BYU decided to put the students there and I wouldn't be keeping the same seats anyway - the decision to not renew season tickets was made much easier for me.

I understand what you are saying about being bumped by the Johnny-come-lately fans. Frustrating that there is no loyalty shown to folks who have been coming and paying for years.

Do the folks at BYU think they are selling drugs? They get you hooked on BYU football, and then feel that they can yank you around and expect you'll keep writing checks because you just can't quit? Sometimes it seems that way...

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Do the folks at BYU think they are selling drugs? They get you hooked on BYU football, and then feel that they can yank you around and expect you'll keep writing checks because you just can't quit? Sometimes it seems that way...

Actually they are great stock salesman. Buy this BYU stock, it won't be long, we will be "big time". You (I) feel like the guy that about the point in time you sell your stock, it is going to come true and the stock is going to take off.

Like I have said many times before, where's Indy, what bugs me is to hear the pitch that BYU is "unique" and "different" and basically not like all the money grubbing other schools.

When I pay $83.50 a ticket to watch teams like Idaho, Idaho St et. al. I am OK until I hear the "we are more prinicpled than others" crap.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            Actually they are great stock salesman. Buy this BYU stock, it won't be long, we will be "big time". You (I) feel like the guy that about the point in time you sell your stock, it is going to come true and the stock is going to take off.

Like I have said many times before, where's Indy, what bugs me is to hear the pitch that BYU is "unique" and "different" and basically not like all the money grubbing other schools.

When I pay $83.50 a ticket to watch teams like Idaho, Idaho St et. al. I am OK until I hear the "we are more prinicpled than others" crap.
                            what are you talking about? do you hear this quite often with regards to BYU sports....that the school is different from everywhere else because it doesnt try to make a profit?
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              what are you talking about? do you hear this quite often with regards to BYU sports....that the school is different from everywhere else because it doesnt try to make a profit?
                              The next time I hear a quote or someone talk about the difference, I will post it. It will come from a fan or someone connected with BYU. It will have something to do with BYU not being about the money, but exposure for the church and doing things the right way.

Until then you can just think I am full of shit. That is OK with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X