Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "not really energy but we thought it was" thread

Reserved for our Ute friends.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Is there a form of smack older and more worn out than cold fusion smack?

I would take Pons and Fleishman over Steven Jones any day. P&F had good intentions, just jumped the gun on their results. Had it been a less significant discovery (potential discovery that is) you never would have heard about it. Jones, on the other hand, just keeps getting nuttier and nuttier.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I would take Pons and Fleishman over Steven Jones any day. P&F had good intentions, just jumped the gun on their results. Had it been a less significant discovery (potential discovery that is) you never would have heard about it. Jones, on the other hand, just keeps getting nuttier and nuttier.
      You don't call a presser and announce you've discovered cold fusion without any evidence whatsoever and have good intentions. Steven Jones is an idiot, but he's nut a punchline the world over.

Comment

Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
        You don't call a presser and announce you've discovered cold fusion without any evidence whatsoever and have good intentions. Steven Jones is an idiot, but he's nut a punchline the world over.
        Your bolded line is funny. Steven Jones is lesser known, but a far bigger idiot. The P&F publicity was bigger because the stakes were much higher.

Perhaps you can explain to me how jumping the gun on the presser involves bad intentions. Poor judgment, certainly. I think they sincerely thought they had something. I have never heard any evidence to the contrary. Maybe I missed something.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

The prophet went to Utah smack.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Your bolded line is funny. Steven Jones is lesser known, but a far bigger idiot. The P&F publicity was bigger because the stakes were much higher.

Perhaps you can explain to me how jumping the gun on the presser involves bad intentions. Poor judgment, certainly. I think they sincerely thought they had something. I have never heard any evidence to the contrary. Maybe I missed something.
            What you call jumping the gun on a presser I would call fantastical incompetence or fraud. People everywhere point to this as the flagship example of shit science. The funny thing is that the guy you're blasting here acted much, MUCH more responsibly than those 2 clowns during this episode. Whether they were delusional or out to fleece investors I can't say, but I know which I would bet on if forced. Maybe it's my cynical nature. Also I'm hungry right now.

PS - Dr. Jones really is an astounding moron

Comment

What you call jumping the gun on a presser I would call fantastical incompetence or fraud. People everywhere point to this as the flagship example of shit science. The funny thing is that the guy you're blasting here acted much, MUCH more responsibly than those 2 clowns during this episode. Whether they were delusional or out to fleece investors I can't say, but I know which I would bet on if forced. Maybe it's my cynical nature. Also I'm hungry right now.
              Hmm... Well, I will admit that it has been a long time and I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the episode. Yet I am going to call BS on the fraud angle. That just doesn't make sense to me. They got some research money from somewhere (Japan? Switzerland?) but in the long run their careers were shot. I can't imagine they did that knowingly. I think the more likely explanation is that they realized that it could have been the biggest discovery of the century and just jumped the gun.

And FTR, I am not referring to Steven Jones' role in the cold fusion thing, but rather his new career as a foil-cap wearing conspiracy theorist.

PS - Dr. Jones really is an astounding moron
              On this we can agree.

Comment

On this we can agree.
                Deal

Comment

Hmm... Well, I will admit that it has been a long time and I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the episode. Yet I am going to call BS on the fraud angle. That just doesn't make sense to me. They got some research money from somewhere (Japan? Switzerland?) but in the long run their careers were shot. I can't imagine they did that knowingly. I think the more likely explanation is that they realized that it could have been the biggest discovery of the century and just jumped the gun.

And FTR, I am not referring to Steven Jones' role in the cold fusion thing, but rather his new career as a foil-cap wearing conspiracy theorist.

On this we can agree.

So you think that F&P were too smart to screw up their careers by trying to milk their science fair project for some money but, at the same time, you think Jones is very much dumb enough to do the precise same thing to his career. I don't much reason to distinguish between these guys on that basis.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    So you think that F&P were too smart to screw up their careers by trying to milk their science fair project for some money but, at the same time, you think Jones is very much dumb enough to do the precise same thing to his career. I don't much reason to distinguish between these guys on that basis.
                    No, that is not what I said at all. But I see I am being painted into a corner here as a P&F apologist, so I am going to bow out.

Comment

Working...
                    X