Oneil Chambers - What's his story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oneil Chambers - What's his story

Just watched the Sammy Lindbaugh interview with OC and I am wondering...what is his real story? I thought he was on the team, but apparently not?

I thought he was practicing, and helping other players, but was kind of like on probation. Apparently not? Anyone know what his status is?

Is he a cancer to the team, or is he a humble dude like he was in the interview and sometimes his temper/ego/youth get to him and he spouts off things he wish he didn't?
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

"yes"

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
      Just watched the Sammy Lindbaugh interview with OC and I am wondering...what is his real story? I thought he was on the team, but apparently not?

I thought he was practicing, and helping other players, but was kind of like on probation. Apparently not? Anyone know what his status is?

Is he a cancer to the team, or is he a humble dude like he was in the interview and sometimes his temper/ego/youth get to him and he spouts off things he wish he didn't?

Don't want to assume the role of psycho-analyst here but OC is a complex dude. He had actual depression issues even before he got to BYU - I don't know if that means he needed medication, but it was apparently some level of clinical depression.

Every person I've talked to (that's four, if I'm not mistaken) who knows him personally says he's got a heart of gold - but that he seems to need to act out a combination of his depressive tendencies plus to try and affect the image of the trash-talking extrovert persona that guys like Occocinco, T.O. and Michael Irvin have kind of made the standard for the star wide receiver guy.

At this point he's gutting it out to simply STICK at BYU - he is NOT on the team this year per my understanding, but would join the team next January if he continues to meet all of the goals and benchmarks established with Bronco. Bronco has praised his effort and I find myself pretty invested in him seeing it through. He is not going to be an NFL athlete, there is no next level for him - but simply demonstrating the will to work through and finish as an athlete and a student in good standing at BYU has made me an OC fan.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Next January? So he's practicing for 1 year just to get into the bowl game?

Comment

Thanks Ox....I seem to remember that this season is "off" for OC. Regardless if BYU makes a bowl game or not.

I like the dudes heart. "Gutting it out" is spot on for what he is doing. I hope he does it..makes it back on the team and finishes his career at BYU. That is great determination and perserverence. I hope that he can leave BYU with a good story to tell and hopefully be a boon to the image and character building experiences he had at BYU.

I'm glad that Bronco seems to be working with him. The easy thing to do for some people is to just boot them off the team. Glad Bronco has not given up on him.

Also...it will be a difficult thing next year...if/when Bronco has to decide whether to give OC a schollie to come back for one more year...and/or lose that schollie to someone that they want to bring in for at least 4 years.
          "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Comment

I seem to recall reading an article in which Bronco said that if/when OC comes back, he will be given the opportunity to walk on to the team. He may eventually compete for a scholarship - but he won't have one to begin with.

I don't know what his deal is from any inside sources - just what I've read in the papers and heard on the radio during interviews. So take the following with a grain of salt and as being my own interpretation.

OC's problem (to me) seems to be that he has put on this persona of being all that and a bag of chips. As a freshman he was frustrated that the senior WR's would take more reps in drills because he was convinced that he was better than them.

He wants the ball. He thinks he should be a starter. He thinks he's the best at kick return, punt return, WR, etc. Or he has self-esteem issues and is trying to convince himself that he is the best at those things.

Then, when things are rough last season and the team is on the brink of going over the edge - while the coaches are trying to pull them back, keep them together, convince them to fight - OC plays some dumb prank on the starting QB who has been struggling and which he might've thought was funny but was a little too close to home. When there was enough stress and lack of success that keeping the team together was already tough - it was seen as creating more disunity in the locker room.

With OC I think the issue is maturity, along with having enough of a filter in his brain to not always say or do exactly what he is thinking.

A lot of folks like to praise someone who "says what they think". But if you are being completely honest about honesty - you have to have enough of a filter to know what things to simply not comment on, or there are consequences. This is true in the real world too. Telling a potential business partner, client, or your boss that you think they are a prick won't help get you ahead. Even though it might be true.

Comment

I should say that I'm watching OC too with a great deal of interest.

I'm cheering for him. I'm hoping he continues on his current line - of doing everything to impress the coaches and fulfill his end of whatever agreement he and Bronco have made.

I love a success story. Happy endings are great. I'm hoping that this becomes one too, and that not only does OC succeed - but he comes through happy with the results and not feeling like he's just completed a prison sentence and is finally free when his days at BYU are over.
              Last edited by Eddie; 04-18-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Happy endings agre great.
                You can say that again!
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  You can say that again!
                  sicko
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                    You can say that again!
                    Funny.

Comment

So, out of curiosity, I decide to look up OC's numbers at Nebraska-Kearney. It looks like he played in four or five games (mostly with 1 or 2 receptions) and then he had zero receptions for the rest of the season. Did he quit? Did he get injured?
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Last i heard he was at BYU trying to finish his degree. I can't remember the source so i can't verify it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          So, out of curiosity, I decide to look up OC's numbers at Nebraska-Kearney. It looks like he played in four or five games (mostly with 1 or 2 receptions) and then he had zero receptions for the rest of the season. Did he quit? Did he get injured?
                          He broke his ankle after the 4th game. He is back at BYU and is graduating in May. BYU has also invited him to work out at pro day, so he is training for that.
                          *Banned*

Comment

I still think emptying Jack Heaps locker and turning it in to coaching staff is one of the most classic things I've heard.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              He broke his ankle after the 4th game. He is back at BYU and is graduating in May. BYU has also invited him to work out at pro day, so he is training for that.

Good for him and good for BYU working with him. He deserves a lot of credit for perserverance (sp). I think his mother deserves a lot of credit too.

Comment

Working...
                              X