PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Preparedness Thread

Surfah
04-16-2011, 10:19 AM
So, for a number of reasons I have been on this survivalist/emergency preparedness kick. I am currently reading the SAS Survival Handbook (awesome and IMO belongs in every kit).

Anyway, I didn't really know where to put this so I thought I'd start this thread here. When me and Gidget were newlyweds we put together a small kit that would have sustained us for a week or maybe two. Between our meager income and small apartment we really had no room for much. With the disasters in Japan I am wanting to do a bit more.

First things first, is my bug out bag. I just acquired this pack and am going to start packing it for a quick grab in case SHTF.

http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/images/products/detail/rush24.1.jpg

NorthwestUteFan
04-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Awesome bag. It is very nice to have those. We put together 5 similar backpacks last year for my family and have them hanging in an accessible location, ready to go.

We also have ~7 month supply of dry foods. In the past when money got tight we would eat from storage and severely limit the trips to the grocery store, until things improved.

It is possible to take things too far. One lady in my ward has at least 3+ years worth of food storage. Not entirely sure what good that will do her.

Then again, if the dollar crashed and we had an out of control inflationary recession, she would be a wealthy woman based on the value of her food commodity...:no_proper_emoticon_for_this_sentiment :

ERCougar
04-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Good idea for a thread. I really need to get this stuff in order. We have 72 hour kits, but im pretty sure food is expired. What does everyone have put together? I know I need to get our water supply up as well. Is there a good template anywhere?

What about generators?

Coach McGuirk
04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
This thread could bring out my crazy, I need to be careful.

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/tinfoilhatsmile.gif http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/army12.gif

That looks like a 5.11 bag Surfah, yeah? I have a pack that looks much like this, packed with the 72 hour kit.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2150_79087592

I also have a smaller Maxpedition versa filled with ammo and hand gun,

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2150_42521466

I think I will leave it there, until I see how tin foil hat we get....

old_gregg
04-16-2011, 11:24 PM

bring it on. this is very interesting.

we've got a year's supply of freeze dried mtn house crap from one of those brilliant door to door sales companies. it can be done significantly cheaper when they're pieced together individually, but it's nice to have it done for you.

Donuthole
04-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Let's just go ahead and rename this thread "Emergency Paranoia Thread".

Surfah
04-17-2011, 05:45 AM

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/tinfoilhatsmile.gif http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/army12.gif

That looks like a 5.11 bag Surfah, yeah? I have a pack that looks much like this, packed with the 72 hour kit.

It is a 5.11 bag. The Rush 24 model. It's pretty sweet. It's surprisingly big and with lots of webbing, pockets, velcro, and their tier system it is even more expandable. It's perfect for a 72 hr kit IMO. I'd be curious to see the Rush 72 bag in person to compare though.

I plan on adding a few accessories to it so it's similar to yours like a Maxp FR1 bag for first aid or handgun.

Viking
04-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Gold and silver coins

LiveCoug
04-17-2011, 09:54 AM
We have started a decent storage of dry food, but have yet to prepare 72 hour kits...

pellegrino
04-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Gold and silver coins

you can buy anything in this world with money.

Coach McGuirk
04-17-2011, 11:14 AM
screw it, here is what is in my bag.

1. Docs. copies of birth certs, deeds, passports, bank account info etc. Never know what you are going to need and what might happen.

2. First aid - I am not super first aid dude or a doctor, so I keep the kit simple. I started with an Adventure Medical Kit (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/) and add prescripts, z pack, Cipro, and child med that need rotating. (Docs, weigh in here).

3. Lighting and warmth - Good flashight. Last thing you are going to want is a $2 kmart special when it is all you got. Looking for bang for your buck, check out Fenix (http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp). They make lights that test out well against SureFire, but cost less. Matches, lighters, firestarting.

4. TP - This gets left out a lot. I have 1 roll of tp and 2 packs of wipes.

5. Shelter - temporary or it isn't fitting in your GOOD bag. i have a lightwieght 5x10 tarp that I can use. Clothing appropriate to environment is needed for a proper bivouac.

6. Water - can't live without it. I have a 3-4 in the bag. The bag stays in my car so the water needs to be switched out every so often to keep in fresh. I also have packed water purification tablets and a water purification pump.

7. Food - Energy bars are really the best. High Calorie, Highly portible, Lasts long. supplement in dry foods, beef jerky, etc.

8. Tools - Knife, multi tool, duct tape, twine, paracord, etc. Think about what your inner most McGyver needs and bring that.

9. Protection - Firearm for me. could also help supplement food supply. For a 72 hour kit, 100 rounds should do.

10. Telecoms - Cell phone #1. While during emergencies the lines are usually overrun with calls, texts generally still work seamlessly. Don't forget an extra charge of some sort (spare battery, car charger, etc). Two way radios are next on the list. Make sure members of the family each have one and on the right channel.

11. Luxury and Misc - Gum, reading material, hard candies, etc. This is going to be up to each person,

cash - amount up to you.
Pen, Pencil, Paper, Journal.
toothbrush and toothpaste
36″ length of rubber tubing
Small sewing kit
Binoculars
Leather work gloves
spare batteries
Soap or hand sanitizer
Portable fishing pole
Stakes
Sunglasses
Insect repellent
Compass
GPS
100 feet para-cord

PLEASE ADD WHAT YOU HAVE,

I know half the crap I like to prepare for will never happen, but why take away the fun?

Jarid in Cedar
04-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Coach, you and my wife would get along a little too well :)

Viking
04-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes you can. It sure helps in a crisis, too.

Katy Lied
04-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Dont forget the dog food. The pooch needs to eat, then it's insurance against eating the pooch.

venkman
04-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Don't forget your SHTF vehicle. When an EMP hits all your electronics will be fried and I'll be cruising around in my jacked up 73 Suburban with 37" Mudders (assuming I actually get around to buying one and fixing it up).

Surfah
04-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Coach you're my idol.

Surfah
04-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Coach what kind of knife do you have? I have read that many suggest two. A folding knife and also a fixed blade. I have a tactical tanto from TacOps but am looking for a smaller folding knife and fixed blade. As for the folding knife I really like the Kershaw Leek.

old_gregg
04-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Coach what kind of knife do you have? I have read that many suggest two. A folding knife and also a fixed blade. I have a tactical tanto from TacOps but am looking for a smaller folding knife and fixed blade. As for the folding knife I really like the Kershaw Leek.

Sog seal pup for the fixed. Or a ka bar.

Edit: if you have a tanto you don't want a pup. The seal team elite is pretty bad a.

Coach McGuirk
04-17-2011, 05:58 PM

I have a Spyderco Meadowlark folder that I keep with me when not traveling or I haven't misplaced it. I have two fixies in the bag, one is an older Ka-Bar last ditch and the other is a Hunting Knife, name escapes me right now.

FN Phat
04-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Thank you for this thread, surfah. I have been thinking about getting somethings together and this thread will be a valuable resource. Thanks for the contributions of many...especially Coach.

FN Phat
04-17-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a Spyderco Meadowlark folder that I keep with me when not traveling or I haven't misplaced it. I have two fixies in the bag, one is an older Ka-Bar last ditch and the other is a Hunting Knife, name escapes me right now.

I have the same TacOps folding knife that Surfah has x2. I also have a Spyderco folding knife but I would like to get a fixed blade or two. Throw out a name or two that I can research.

Coach McGuirk
04-17-2011, 06:34 PM
I have the same TacOps folding knife that Surfah has x2. I also have a Spyderco folding knife but I would like to get a fixed blade or two. Throw out a name or two that I can research.

There are many great brands, of which Cam named Ka-Bar and S.O.G.
both these are really good knives for relative affordability (read <$200)

If you want to get crazy give the combat knives at Benchmade or MercWorx a look. They both can get up over $650 for a knife.

as for me, at $400, I am buying things that shoot projectiles.

Surfah
04-17-2011, 06:37 PM
There are many great brands, of which Cam named Ka-Bar and S.O.G.
both these are really good knives for relative affordability (read <$200)

If you want to get crazy give the combat knives at Benchmade or MercWorx a look. They both can get up over $650 for a knife.

as for me, at $400, I am buying things that shoot projectiles.

Yeah, Benchmade is way out of my range. I've looked at the SOG knives. I like them. The Team Elite Cam mentioned is sweet. I like that it has a long tang that extends through the handle. Very important in case anything happens to the handle. It's still useable and can be wrapped with paracord or something.

Surfah
04-17-2011, 06:39 PM

I bought Gidget a Spyderco for Christmas. It's a tiny little pocket carry. Really I bought it for her as part of a little Dexter gift. The knife came with some black leather gloves, wrapped in pink tissue paper a la the gift Dexter gave to Julie Stiles in this last season. My family thought it was weird when she opened it. But Gidget loved it.

il Padrino Ute
04-17-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this thread.

Coach McGuirk
04-17-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this thread.

Yes you do, you are just afraid to admit it.

il Padrino Ute
04-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes you do, you are just afraid to admit it.

You're correct in that I do know how I feel about this thread. I think it's a good topic and agree that we need to be prepared for anything that could happen.

I suppose I should have said that I'm not sure how well this would have been received had I started it.

FN Phat
04-18-2011, 03:59 AM
You're correct in that I do know how I feel about this thread. I think it's a good topic and agree that we need to be prepared for anything that could happen.

I suppose I should have said that I'm not sure how well this would have been received had I started it.

I think this is a fair statement. One of the reasons that I hesitated to post in the thread.

Shaka
04-18-2011, 06:31 AM
I have a basic 72 hour kit with some extra food. I figured I'd just take my shotgun with me if things get scary but some sort of handgun would probably be smart as well. Coach had a lot of good suggestions and I think I will follow his lead and get some more stuff.

I keep two five gallon cans of gas around and have an Can-Am Outlander 650 XT, a Suzuki DRZ400, and an old Yamaha DT 175. Any of the three will fit in the bed of my Titan so I will choose whatever I think is best and if necessary, get out of dodge.

Surfah
04-18-2011, 06:50 AM
I have a basic 72 hour kit with some extra food. I figured I'd just take my shotgun with me if things get scary but some sort of handgun would probably be smart as well. Coach had a lot of good suggestions and I think I will follow his lead and get some more stuff.

I keep two five gallon cans of gas around and have an Can-Am Outlander 650 XT, a Suzuki DRZ400, and an old Yamaha DT 175. Any of the three will fit in the bed of my Titan so I will choose whatever I think is best and if necessary, get out of dodge.

I like the way you think Shaka. Maybe this could be the impetus for Gidget allowing me to have a truck again and a bike.

old_gregg
04-19-2011, 07:53 PM
if anybody is looking for a good multi, moofi (run by the same people as woot) have a good deal on a sog 18 in 1:

http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/2ndedition

Surfah
04-20-2011, 04:53 AM
if anybody is looking for a good multi, moofi (run by the same people as woot) have a good deal on a sog 18 in 1:

http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/2ndedition

Nice find. I just got some Paladin crimps last week. If this weren't a networking multi-tool I might be interested. Though am tempted as this would be handy at work. I am just not a belt carrying pocket tool kind of guy. Especially when I have all my networking tools right with me.

Portland Ute
04-24-2011, 11:33 AM
bring it on. this is very interesting.

we've got a year's supply of freeze dried mtn house crap from one of those brilliant door to door sales companies. it can be done significantly cheaper when they're pieced together individually, but it's nice to have it done for you.

What would you suggest for doing it cheaper and going the freeze-dried route? I'm thinking this is the direction we will take and also supplement with other foods such as canned meats (tuna, beef, chicken), pastas, etc.

We don't have a mill and wouldn't even begin to have a clue as how to use whole wheat. So, I don't see us loading up on whole grains, etc.

We'll probably do some powdered milk and other stuff to supplement the freeze dried cac.

Suggestions on getting the freeze dried meals inexpensively? I don't care if it's Mountain House, just that it tastes good and is of good quality.

FN Phat
04-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Lessons learned: Make sure that your generator is in working condition with a supply of gas (with a stabilizer mixed in) and extra filters, oil, and spark plugs. I drained mine completely free of fuel this winter, per manufacturers specs, and had to use it late this past winter. Filled it with fuel, turned it on, pulled the choke, and cranked it twice before it came to life. No problems. It has set in the garage since yesterday (about 3 months). We lost power for some time last night due to severe thunderstorms and heavy rain. Generator will not start. I ran to the tractor supply store and got a new spark plug. I could smell the fuel it was getting so I figured it was not getting a spark. I gapped the spark plug per spec and installed the plug. Nothing. Checked the oil level to make sure it wasn't too low. Looked good. The best that I can figure is that the intake valve is stuck open or closed.

Once I get it started, I will be cranking that bad boy to life every couple of months. To have the generator and still not have power is frustrating.

*Disclaimer: It did crank over twice when I sprayed a little ether in the air intake.

Surfah
04-24-2011, 01:28 PM
What would you suggest for doing it cheaper and going the freeze-dried route? I'm thinking this is the direction we will take and also supplement with other foods such as canned meats (tuna, beef, chicken), pastas, etc.

We don't have a mill and wouldn't even begin to have a clue as how to use whole wheat. So, I don't see us loading up on whole grains, etc.

We'll probably do some powdered milk and other stuff to supplement the freeze dried cac.

Suggestions on getting the freeze dried meals inexpensively? I don't care if it's Mountain House, just that it tastes good and is of good quality.

I don't know how it compares but I know that Costco in the past has carried Shelf Reliance brand year's supply.

Whole wheat shouldn't intimidate you either. It's worth it to learn some recipes and uses and have some on hand with a grinder. I'd get a hand crank one in the event of no power. A nice electric one can be had for a couple hundred bucks or less. They even have grinding attachments for much less for your KitchenAid or Bosch mixer.

old_gregg
04-24-2011, 06:42 PM

if you have an tax id number you can use to order as a wholesaler, you can save a lot of money. any substantial supply (six mos) will probably meet minimum quantity requirements for a wholesale order.

i agree with surfah on the hand crank. in a pinch, having the ability to make your own starch meal would be great. a nice cast iron mill can be had for around $50. i know there are also some combo units that have an electric motor but can be detached and operated manually.

what kind of stove/heat source does everyone have? i have two msr whisperlites that i've used for backpacking in the past as well as a two burner camp chef, but something in between (more portable than a camp chef, more consistent and reliable heat than the msr) would be great.

Devildog
04-24-2011, 11:51 PM

Yep... I agree

Here is one for starters.

http://www.kellykettleusa.com/

Green Monstah
04-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Gold and silver coins

In a situation that constitutes TEOTWAWKI, I think those are pretty valueless.

Up to that point, however, they'd be nearly priceless.

Green Monstah
04-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Lessons learned: Make sure that your generator is in working condition with a supply of gas (with a stabilizer mixed in) and extra filters, oil, and spark plugs. I drained mine completely free of fuel this winter, per manufacturers specs, and had to use it late this past winter. Filled it with fuel, turned it on, pulled the choke, and cranked it twice before it came to life. No problems. It has set in the garage since yesterday (about 3 months). We lost power for some time last night due to severe thunderstorms and heavy rain. Generator will not start. I ran to the tractor supply store and got a new spark plug. I could smell the fuel it was getting so I figured it was not getting a spark. I gapped the spark plug per spec and installed the plug. Nothing. Checked the oil level to make sure it wasn't too low. Looked good. The best that I can figure is that the intake valve is stuck open or closed.

Once I get it started, I will be cranking that bad boy to life every couple of months. To have the generator and still not have power is frustrating.

*Disclaimer: It did crank over twice when I sprayed a little ether in the air intake.

Good advice. I have a kit that I put on mine that allows the generator to run on gasoline, natural gas or propane. When Ike hit Houston, the Natural Gas was awesome since there was little gasoline available and it is so much less expensive to run.

Green Monstah
04-25-2011, 08:23 AM

*Disclaimer: I'm a huge cornbread guy

We actually canned a crapload of popcorn last year. It's dirt cheap and can be ground into meal quickly and easily (or popped). It's a supplement to our wheat food storage and will provide some (albeit small) diversity to our food storage if the SHTF.

I just realized, however, that I need a hand-powered grinder for all this crap.

NorthwestUteFan
04-25-2011, 08:27 AM
My grandfather was in Germany after the war earning the points to go home. He was a 99th Infantry Battle Baby in the Battle of the Bulge. The cigarettes in his meal kits were highly valuable, and sugar was even more so. Those are highly valuable commodities in a shtf situation.

I wonder if a collapse of that magnitude is even a possibility in the USA? I tend to doubt it.

Devildog
04-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Gold and silver coins

Yes you can. It sure helps in a crisis, too.

In a situation that constitutes TEOTWAWKI, I think those are pretty valueless.

Up to that point, however, they'd be nearly priceless.

My grandfather was in Germany after the war earning the points to go home. He was a 99th Infantry Battle Baby in the Battle of the Bulge. The cigarettes in his meal kits were highly valuable, and sugar was even more so. Those are highly valuable commodities in a shtf situation.

I wonder if a collapse of that magnitude is even a possibility in the USA? I tend to doubt it.

Bullets.

wuapinmon
04-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Lessons learned from Katrina:

1. Apocalyptic Fever breaks out after major disasters.
2. Jesus has his own calendar, and it's got a lot of time left on it.
3. Things that float are very useful.
4. A good solid flashlight with long battery life is important.
5. Cellphones are WORTHLESS in an emergency. Even texts have issues sometimes. A 2-way radio is priceless.
6. First aid kits need coldpacks.
7. 72-hour kits need to accesible.
8. Water is farking heavy.
9. A red wagon with all-terrain tires is a great idea, especially a plastic one that floats.
10. Firearms are a necessary evil (they are not evil, but needing them for protection (http://galtstales.blogspot.com/2008/07/cynthia-page.html) instead of hunting is terrifying).
11. Matches need to be in a waterproof container.
12. CHAINSAW with fuel, spare parts, and a spare chain.

Portland Ute
04-25-2011, 09:35 PM
if you have an tax id number you can use to order as a wholesaler, you can save a lot of money. any substantial supply (six mos) will probably meet minimum quantity requirements for a wholesale order.

i agree with surfah on the hand crank. in a pinch, having the ability to make your own starch meal would be great. a nice cast iron mill can be had for around $50. i know there are also some combo units that have an electric motor but can be detached and operated manually.

what kind of stove/heat source does everyone have? i have two msr whisperlites that i've used for backpacking in the past as well as a two burner camp chef, but something in between (more portable than a camp chef, more consistent and reliable heat than the msr) would be great.

I own a business and have a tax-ID number. Does any tax-ID number work?

This is a great idea and I'm interested.

Any suggestions as to where I should try to purchase this stuff at wholesale?

old_gregg
04-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I own a business and have a tax-ID number. Does any tax-ID number work?

This is a great idea and I'm interested.

Any suggestions as to where I should try to purchase this stuff at wholesale?

i just emailed mountain house to see what one would need to do to get dealer pricing with regard to minimum quantities/dollar totals. it sounds like food storage sales have gone through the roof all over the internet... nitro-pak is giving a 160 day time frame for orders to ship.

Portland Ute
04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
i just emailed mountain house to see what one would need to do to get dealer pricing with regard to minimum quantities/dollar totals. it sounds like food storage sales have gone through the roof all over the internet... nitro-pak is giving a 160 day time frame for orders to ship.

Let me know what you find out...

old_gregg
04-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Let me know what you find out...

[camleish], I am sorry but we are not opening any new accounts at this time. We are not able to support any additional business at this time.

Sorry,
Melanie

sounds like a dang good time to be in the food storage business.

Coach McGuirk
04-26-2011, 05:41 PM
check Wise Food (https://www.wisefoodstorage.com/store/index.php). They have a good selection. Not sure on dealer pricing....

Portland Ute
04-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Has anyone checked out Daily Bread?

They are located in Kaysville, UT. I guess their warehouse is in SLC.

Is this a reputable company?

Portland Ute
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
sounds like a dang good time to be in the food storage business.

Dang.

Portland Ute
04-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Wise foods looks like it'll be about 2500 LESS than Daily Bread for a year supply of 3 meals per day for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids.

Daily Bread is 9000+ for a year supply.

Ouch.

Surfah
04-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Wise foods looks like it'll be about 2500 LESS than Daily Bread for a year supply of 3 meals per day for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids.

Daily Bread is 9000+ for a year supply.

Ouch.

Be sure to check what you're getting. Most year supply are two meals about 2400 calories/day. 3 meals seems like a good deal to me.

Coach McGuirk
04-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Be sure to check what you're getting. Most year supply are two meals about 2400 calories/day. 3 meals seems like a good deal to me.

1 year 3 meals for 2 adults 4 kids is $6,650.00
1 year 2 meals for 2 adults 4 kids is $4,495.00

Daily bread website doesn't offer pricing, but is endorsed by Glen Beck!

old_gregg
04-26-2011, 06:08 PM
our supply is from daily bread, but was a gift and i would never pay that much for it.

Portland Ute
04-26-2011, 06:21 PM
1 year 3 meals for 2 adults 4 kids is $6,650.00
1 year 2 meals for 2 adults 4 kids is $4,495.00

Daily bread website doesn't offer pricing, but is endorsed by Glen Beck!

I called Daily Bread. They claim to be located in Kaysville. Wise Food claims to be in Centerville.

I'm suprised there seems to be that much of a disparity.

I was quoted 9000+ for 2 adults and 3 kids for 3 meals/day for 12 months.

I'm going to have to talk to Wise Food.

The guy at Daily Bread says if we do a year, he'll throw in a bunch of free food, but not that much!

Daily Bread seems to have a much larger variety of entrees than Wise Food.

Hmm... That's almost 200/month difference. If not more.

Portland Ute
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
I just found a Wise Food discount coupon for 10%.

I wonder if they'll let me apply the coupon and pick up the food at their warehouse if it's in Utah. Their HQ is in Centerville.

FN Phat
04-27-2011, 04:49 AM
What do you recommend for a quality lighter?

It seems that the Brunton Firestorm is a bad ass lighter and is sold out most places. It seems that you can find one here. (http://www.combattactical.com/brunton-firestorm-stormproof-lighter-p-87735.html). I am just not sure that I want to drop $40 on a lighter.

Coach, what do you use?

Surfah
04-27-2011, 04:55 AM
What do you recommend for a quality lighter?

It seems that the Brunton Firestorm is a bad ass lighter and is sold out most places. It seems that you can find one here. (http://www.combattactical.com/brunton-firestorm-stormproof-lighter-p-87735.html). I am just not sure that I want to drop $40 on a lighter.

Coach, what do you use?

Don't you have a little Benzomatic torch? I was just looking at a catalog that some Zippos in it and was looking at their pen torches. That Brunton looks cool. But $40 is expensive. The $15 Zippos seems pricy to me.

FN Phat
04-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Don't you have a little Benzomatic torch? I was just looking at a catalog that some Zippos in it and was looking at their pen torches. That Brunton looks cool. But $40 is expensive. The $15 Zippos seems pricy to me.

Yes I do but I am trying to piece together a bag, similar to what Coach has and what you are starting, and the torch is a bit chunky. You can find knock-off zippos for about $4.00/ea.

Surfah
04-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Yes I do but I am trying to piece together a bag, similar to what Coach has and what you are starting, and the torch is a bit chunky. You can find knock-off zippos for about $4.00/ea.

A cigar torch would probably work well. But it won't be waterproof like that one you linked.

Coach McGuirk
04-29-2011, 01:57 PM
here is a good deal on paracord.

Amazon.com: Rothco 550lb. Type III Paracord: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21NwLeyGeDL.@@AMEPARAM@@21NwLeyGeDL

Also for Phat a stormproof lighter is going to be your best bet and unfortunately they are going to run at least $25 bucks.

FN Phat
04-29-2011, 02:08 PM
What do you recommend? 50 ft or 100 ft?

Coach McGuirk
04-29-2011, 02:49 PM
What do you recommend? 50 ft or 100 ft?

100 ft is the better deal.

Surfah
04-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Here's a decent deal for this 72-hr 2 person food kit. http://familystorehouse.net/index.php/products/details/food_storage_kit_72_hour/

Use the site www.groopdealz.com to get the discount. What typically costs $72 plus $10 shipping is $46 shipped.

Surfah
05-02-2011, 09:37 AM
25% off everything today to celebrate Osama's death. Enter "suckit" at coupon code when checking out for the discount.

http://www.skdtac.com/

Coach McGuirk
05-02-2011, 10:58 AM
LA Police gear is blowing out some surefire flashlights

http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire-closeouts.html

wuapinmon
05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Here's a decent deal for this 72-hr 2 person food kit. http://familystorehouse.net/index.php/products/details/food_storage_kit_72_hour/

Use the site www.groopdealz.com to get the discount. What typically costs $72 plus $10 shipping is $46 shipped.

Thanks for posting this. I just got the deal twice. Hopefully it will lighten the load in our backpacks.

Surfah
05-02-2011, 08:00 PM
LA Police gear is blowing out some surefire flashlights

http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire-closeouts.html

Some nice prices on the Surefires. I don't know that they're worth the price though. In our kitchen cabinet we have a P6 and C2. They're nice and built to last, but I like my Streamlight Night Com just as well. Based on your earlier post I have been checking out the Fenix line. They look very nice too.

I am thinking of getting a bigger light though than some of these small pocket lights. I have seen some stuff out of China but I don't know about quality or reliability. Like this one:

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/flashmax-x910-cree-led-flashlight-900-lumens-waterproof/

Here it is branded as Ultrafire:

http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-WF-1000L-900-Lumen-Cree-MCE-LED-Rechargeable-Flashlight--2-x-18650-batteries_p_2800.html

Surfah
05-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Anybody in the market for a cheap portable generator check this one out:

http://www.homedepot.com/Featured-Products-May-Savings-Event-Tools-Hardware-Generators/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbyu6/R-202527679/h_d2/ProductDisplay?cm_mmc=CJ-_-1225267-_-10368321&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&AID=10368321&PID=4485850&SID=u567723t2931897f9fp0dd0c0s671&cj=true

It's $649 but add it to your cart for $250 off. Then add the coupon HDAPPLIANCE for another $20 off. Total of $379. Free shipping as well or you can pick it up at your local Home Depot. For price comparison BJ's Wholesale (Like Costco/Sam's Club) has it for $649 and Sears sells it for $779.

Surfah
05-24-2011, 05:52 AM
I ordered this knife the other day for EDC. It's freaking sweet. A bit big but I really like it. I also already cut myself with it.

Amazon.com: Kershaw Ken Onion Black Blur Folding Knife with Speed Safe: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411tEfffe0L.@@AMEPARAM@@411tEfffe0L

Surfah
08-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Last night our bishop called an emergency ward council because our little rumble yesterday here revealed that we have no ward emergency communications plan. And with Irene possibly threatening this weekend we put our heads together for a few hours to put something in place.

Anyway, we talked a bit about social media. The ward has a Facebook page. We were thinking of creating a Twitter account also. But we were also wondering about some sort of auto-dialer/sms text system like the local schools use whenever school is canceled. Most I am aware of are an add-on that can be pretty pricy and we're looking for free. Is anyone aware of anything like that?

Also, what kind of emergency plans do you have in place? In California we used a green flag system. For example, when the Northridge quake happened I (being a strapping lad like Nephi) went with our Bishopric to every member's home in our ward. If they didn't have their green flag in a visible location on the front of their home (typically front window) signalling they were okay then we knocked to make sure everything was alright. Surprisingly most of the ward responded well to this and we only had to knock on a few doors. Some of those had forgotten, but a few others had significant damage including one family that had to be evacuated as their home's foundation split right down the middle and one half of their home was a good foot higher than the other.

Pheidippides
08-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Last night our bishop called an emergency ward council because our little rumble yesterday here revealed that we have no ward emergency communications plan. And with Irene possibly threatening this weekend we put our heads together for a few hours to put something in place.

Anyway, we talked a bit about social media. The ward has a Facebook page. We were thinking of creating a Twitter account also. But we were also wondering about some sort of auto-dialer/sms text system like the local schools use whenever school is canceled. Most I am aware of are an add-on that can be pretty pricy and we're looking for free. Is anyone aware of anything like that?

Also, what kind of emergency plans do you have in place? In California we used a green flag system. For example, when the Northridge quake happened I (being a strapping lad like Nephi) went with our Bishopric to every member's home in our ward. If they didn't have their green flag in a visible location on the front of their home (typically front window) signalling they were okay then we knocked to make sure everything was alright. Surprisingly most of the ward responded well to this and we only had to knock on a few doors. Some of those had forgotten, but a few others had significant damage including one family that had to be evacuated as their home's foundation split right down the middle and one half of their home was a good foot higher than the other.

I was the co-architect of our ward's emergency response plan. One of the first things we learned was that anything electronic is not a good idea for communication. Thankfully we learned this before Ike.

Surfah
08-24-2011, 07:05 AM
I was the co-architect of our ward's emergency response plan. One of the first things we learned was that anything electronic is not a good idea for communication. Thankfully we learned this before Ike.

Right. And this is something we worked on last night. But with something like a hurricane we have time before electronics go out. Our concern with Irene is that it is supposed to be here Sunday morning. And we're looking at ways besides having HTs and VTs calling their families to notify them of church being cancelled. Another example, every winter we have church cancelled at least once or twice due to snow where electronic communication won't be hampered. An automated system in these situations would be very beneficial.

wuapinmon
08-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Surfah,

The New Orleans Stake President sent me this in September 2008.

We have been using a system from a company called freedomvoice systems. There may be other better ones but it has worked pretty well for us (it doubles as voice mail for each ward/branch). It runs in my mind that in non emergency times it is around 40-50 dollars a month.

In emergencies a one minute call across the stake is around $75 (1500 households)

Hope that helps.

Pheidippides
08-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Right. And this is something we worked on last night. But with something like a hurricane we have time before electronics go out. Our concern with Irene is that it is supposed to be here Sunday morning. And we're looking at ways besides having HTs and VTs calling their families to notify them of church being cancelled. Another example, every winter we have church cancelled at least once or twice due to snow where electronic communication won't be hampered. An automated system in these situations would be very beneficial.

I think you need a two tiered approach - electronic and not. What we did is assign zone captains based entirely on geography (I am one). When we have advance warning of something, the zone captain contacts his/her zone (usually only five or six families) to make sure they are informed and see what their plans are (i.e., for a hurricane, will they evacuate). Then the captain reports back to the bishopric. Same story after a disaster except the contact may have to be made by foot (our ward is small enough geographically to allow this; yours may not) or by people with 4wd. This time it's about making sure people are okay and seeing what help they need (downed trees, etc.). Separately we have a database of who has what (trucks, generators, chainsaws, survival skills, etc.) and the bishop can allocate resources immediately.

This worked relatively well after Ike. Some hiccups, but generally it functioned the right way, and we had everybody cleaned up and bailed out within a couple of days. After that we expanded our service to people outside of the ward, and we helped out neighbors of ward members at the same time we helped out members.

Surfah
08-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Surfah,

The New Orleans Stake President sent me this in September 2008.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

I think you need a two tiered approach - electronic and not. What we did is assign zone captains based entirely on geography (I am one). When we have advance warning of something, the zone captain contacts his/her zone (usually only five or six families) to make sure they are informed and see what their plans are (i.e., for a hurricane, will they evacuate). Then the captain reports back to the bishopric. Same story after a disaster except the contact may have to be made by foot (our ward is small enough geographically to allow this; yours may not) or by people with 4wd. This time it's about making sure people are okay and seeing what help they need (downed trees, etc.). Separately we have a database of who has what (trucks, generators, chainsaws, survival skills, etc.) and the bishop can allocate resources immediately.

This worked relatively well after Ike. Some hiccups, but generally it functioned the right way, and we had everybody cleaned up and bailed out within a couple of days. After that we expanded our service to people outside of the ward, and we helped out neighbors of ward members at the same time we helped out members.

This is exactly what we formulated last night. A few bishops ago in this ward we had a geo-code list with zone leaders assigned to each area within the ward. We basically resurrected that list last night by assigning 8 zones with two zone leaders for each. Our ward is a bit difficult as it has been designated the Single Adult ward so we have singles from all over the stake in our ward but we put those people on a list for the bishops in the wards they actually live in can check on them. It's very similar to the block captain approach we had in California.

Thanks for your input.

Pheidippides
08-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks. I'll look into that.

This is exactly what we formulated last night. A few bishops ago in this ward we had a geo-code list with zone leaders assigned to each area within the ward. We basically resurrected that list last night by assigning 8 zones with two zone leaders for each. Our ward is a bit difficult as it has been designated the Single Adult ward so we have singles from all over the stake in our ward but we put those people on a list for the bishops in the wards they actually live in can check on them. It's very similar to the block captain approach we had in California.

Thanks for your input.

We ran into the exact same problem with the Spanish branch, only in reverse. Several members lived in our ward but we didn't know who they were, so we had to do some sleuthing beforehand.

Post-hurricane service is some of my favorite work. It's the primary reason I own a chainsaw.

wuapinmon
08-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Post-hurricane service is some of my favorite work.

Amen.

falafel
08-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Post-hurricane service is some of my favorite work. It's the primary reason I own a chainsaw.

Me too. I just wish there was more of it.

Uncle Ted
08-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Other that shortwave/HAM radio, yes. Especially when the government has the "kill switch" on other forms of electric communication.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/08/brainchild-subway-cellphone-shutdown/

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/01/kill-switch-legislation/

BTW, you don't need a HAM license to own shortwave/HAM radios for receiving only. You just need a license to transmit.

Uncle Ted
08-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Yes, I find sawing up trees to be very therapeutic. I have a chainsaw and will travel. My have pieces of wood from Oklahoma, New Orleans, and Houston in my clean up collection so far.

UtahDan
08-24-2011, 09:05 AM
One of the things we learned yesterday is that even when you can't make a call on your cell phone because the lines are swamped you can still get online and post on Facebook on that same phone. There were several hours where that was true. Obviously that doesn't address a loss of power situation, but it was still a good thing to know. Gabers and I agreed that if phones fail, posting an "I'm okay" on Facebook would be the next step where possible.

wuapinmon
08-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Yes, I find sawing up trees to be very therapeutic. I have a chainsaw and will travel. My have pieces of wood from Oklahoma, New Orleans, and Houston in my clean up collection so far.

You're like Tom Sizemore with his beach sand collection in Saving Private Ryan.

Pheidippides
08-24-2011, 09:18 AM

The only problem (a major one) is when you get the guys who have no clue what they are doing going all macho with their chainsaws. I am
surprised that nobody got killed last time we were out - a few guys had no concept of safety, kickback, not dropping oak branches on people's heads, etc. They are dangerous enough if you know what you are doing.

Truth is that you really only need one chainsaw for every four guys. A good guy with a chainsaw can cut enough wood for three other guys to haul off without much trouble at all. But everybody wants to use the power tool.

Pheidippides
08-24-2011, 09:19 AM
One of the things we learned yesterday is that even when you can't make a call on your cell phone because the lines are swamped you can still get online and post on Facebook on that same phone. There were several hours where that was true. Obviously that doesn't address a loss of power situation, but it was still a good thing to know. Gabers and I agreed that if phones fail, posting an "I'm okay" on Facebook would be the next step where possible.

Yep. We've been told by the local guvmint that cells will be preempted by them. But data may work. It was that way last time.

Eddie
08-24-2011, 09:34 AM
It occurs to me that communication and checking on folks is a whole different matter when you are outside of Utah - or portions of Utah.

Our entire ward is 16 blocks of neighborhood. That's it.

Our stake has a FSR radio network - including folks in the stake and 2 members of each ward - for the stake to stay in contact with wards. Of course, I don't know how many of the bishops know this...

Within each ward, the 6 members of the EQP and HPGL (minus secretaries) are assigned about 2 1/2 blocks each that they are responsible for checking on in case of emergency.

At one point some envelopes were distributed that had a red ribbon, orange ribbon, and green ribbon in them. Red meant help me right now. Orange meant I need help, but it isn't critical. Green meant I'm OK, go help someone else. We have so many apartments in our ward and smaller homes that people are moving in and out of - I would be pleased if as many as a third of our ward members could actually find their envelope.

That said - I've never heard much said about emergency preparedness or what anyone would do. I'm afraid that if houses are coming down, the EQP and HPGL will be worrying about their own hides and families versus chasing down one of the MANY older folks and single sisters in the ward to see if they're OK.

wuapinmon
08-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Special beginning to priesthood today with a timely reminder about emergency preparedness, followed by a lengthy list of things that we should do.

It had zero mention of communication other than "checking on the families you hometeach."

It wasn't the time or the place to bring up the impracticality of driving to check on families in a ward the size of Rhode Island. I'm going to send a carefully composed email to the bishop tomorrow with some friendly suggestions. This should make me popular.

old_gregg
11-06-2011, 10:06 PM
i'm making some upgrades to our bug out bags and remembered how badass this thread is. i bought a couple of these to keep to stay in the bags (and in any shtf situation i'll obviously grab my full size multi as well):

Amazon.com: Leatherman 830846 Skeletool Multitool: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Mtl2qB5PL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Mtl2qB5PL

does anyone keep gas masks in their kit? these israeli surplus masks are cheap and look pretty effective:

Amazon.com: Israeli Civilian Gas Mask w/ Nato Filter: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/315N6NKNSQL.@@AMEPARAM@@315N6NKNSQL

wuapinmon
01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
This seems like a deal, but I don't know this brand. Can anyone tell me more?

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/613063.jpg

$699.99 after $200 OFF
Champion 6,500 Rated Watts / 8,250 Starting Watts Portable Generator With Electric Remote Start
Battery and Remote Included
Item # 613063

Sullyute
01-05-2012, 03:24 PM

$699.99 after $200 OFF
Champion 6,500 Rated Watts / 8,250 Starting Watts Portable Generator With Electric Remote Start
Item # 613063

Don't know anything about the brand, but do you need something that big? Are you planning on running just the essetials, or do you want something that can handle more? Also you will want to make sure that you have a place to chain it to (a tree, a shed, a cement anchor) so that someone doesn't run off with it while it is running in the back yard.

wuapinmon
01-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Don't know anything about the brand, but do you need something that big? Are you planning on running just the essetials, or do you want something that can handle more? Also you will want to make sure that you have a place to chain it to (a tree, a shed, a cement anchor) so that someone doesn't run off with it while it is running in the back yard.

I want something that can handle me and my very elderly neighbors. I've got a concrete pad where I can chain it down. It used to hold the fuel oil tank in the 60's, and it's high-grade concrete.

pellegrino
01-05-2012, 06:14 PM

$699.99 after $200 OFF
Item # 613063

the brand on the cover is likely unimportant. Find out who made the engine and go from there.

wuapinmon
01-05-2012, 07:28 PM
the brand on the cover is likely unimportant. Find out who made the engine and go from there.

It looks like they make their own.

Specifications:

Continuous Watts: 6500
Starting Watts: 8250
WIRELESS REMOTE Electric Start (battery and key fob included)
Engine Size: 389cc
Engine Type: 4 stroke Champion OHV w/cast iron sleeve
Cold Start Technology
Low-oil Shutdown
Durable Frame with U shape fold away handle
10 never flat wheels
Outlets: (2) 120V Duplex Outlets (5-20R); (1) 120V 30 Amp (L5-30R); (1) 120/240V Twistlock (L14-30R)
Run Time @ 50% load: 8.0 hours
Tank Capacity: 5.9 Gallon
Decibels: 74 Dba
Includes Overload Protection, Automatic Voltage Regulation, and Voltmeter
Dimensions: 27.3"x26.6"x26.3" (L x W x H")
Weight: 215 lbs.
EPA & CARB Emission Certified (50 State)
Warranty 2 Year Limited

Surfah
01-06-2012, 04:01 AM
Champion generators are highly rated on amazon. In fact a better deal can be had on amazon than costco.

Eddie
01-06-2012, 10:35 AM
As long as the emergency preparedness thread is here - things we learned at our ward during the great windstorm of December 1, 2011!

First - when power is out, many people can't get email. Second, when cable and phone lines are down, many people can't get email. Our Bishop sent out an email detailing a lot of what needed to be done, who needed help, etc. And not many got it.

Second - I'm not sure I know why - but cell phone signals were wacky. It wasn't necessarily an overload of cell phone use - though that may have contributed it to it. Many folks who regularly had good reception just couldn't get a signal.

We also learned that there really isn't a great communication network (like a calling tree) to pass along information quickly and in a way that you know everyone will get it.

Adds to the challenge of communicating information, to be sure.

It was interesting to see all of the old-timer's simply bundle up and make it through the cold while the young folks were running off to stay with family or in some instances even at a hotel.

Folks with generators were very happy. One thing I'd never thought of - one guy simply plugged his furnace into the generator every hour or so to keep the home tolerable. Most folks who had generators were relying on a fireplace to keep one or two rooms warm or even plugging into portable heaters.

I also decided that I definitely need to add a chain saw to my tool list next time I see a good price on a good one. From what I saw of the chainsaws getting some heavy usage, there was Stihl and Husqvarna, and then there was everybody else. And everybody else was quite a ways down the list.

Devildog
01-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Here is a good new idea.

j0FMspTizyU

wuapinmon
01-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Champion generators are highly rated on amazon. In fact a better deal can be had on amazon than costco.

I meant to say "thanks" for this. I saw the rating on Amazon before I posted, but I didn't notice the price.

Surfah
01-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Here is a good new idea.

j0FMspTizyU

That is bad ass.

Surfah
01-09-2012, 07:45 AM
I meant to say "thanks" for this. I saw the rating on Amazon before I posted, but I didn't notice the price.

No problem. Before Irene we were looking at generators. Settled on one from Sears because we couldn't get one from Amazon in time.

FN Phat
01-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Here is a good new idea.

j0FMspTizyU

Damn. That was fast.

San Juan Sun
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Damn. That was fast.

That is the greatest backpack in the world. It really is R.A.D.

Surfah
01-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Here's a nice B.O.B. for someone. I am thinking of picking one up even though I don't need it.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

Regularly $50 on sale for $29.99. Use promo code LAPG for an additional 5% off.

FN Phat
01-23-2012, 03:55 AM
Here's a nice B.O.B. for someone. I am thinking of picking one up even though I don't need it.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

Regularly $50 on sale for $29.99. Use promo code LAPG for an additional 5% off.

My birthday is right around the corner ;)

old_gregg
01-23-2012, 06:15 AM
nice find. i've been looking for a new range bag. that looks like it might do the trick.

edit: $10 shipping is kind of a bummer :(

Surfah
01-23-2012, 06:27 AM
nice find. i've been looking for a new range bag. that looks like it might do the trick.

edit: $10 shipping is kind of a bummer :(

Didn't see that. I thought there was free shipping, but it looks like only on select items like the Bates stuff. Sorry.

old_gregg
01-23-2012, 06:34 AM
it's still not a bad deal. here's the non-jumbo edition for $19.99:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

UtahDan
01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm curious about something having never tried it myself. For those who store several months or even a year worth of food and other goods, are you able to effectively rotate through it? In other words, what percentage would you say eventually gets used and what percentage eventually gets thrown away?

Surfah
01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Anyone see the new show advertised on Nat Geo I think called Doomsday Preppers? It follows 4 "nutty" survivalist families.

Check out this clip:

tUM0TOkNALg

:blink:

I am not that tin foil hat but the self sufficiency is pretty cool.

UtahDan
01-30-2012, 01:56 PM

I have read before about people who remove themselves completely from "the grid." Totally self sufficient, no electricity, no nothing. It is pretty impressive. I think it would be a neat intellectual challenge to accomplish it, but I would run out of will power way in advance of achieving it.

Surfah
01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
I have read before about people who remove themselves completely from "the grid." Totally self sufficient, no electricity, no nothing. It is pretty impressive. I think it would be a neat intellectual challenge to accomplish it, but I would run out of will power way in advance of achieving it.

What is particularly interesting about that family in the video is they're right there in the middle of Phoenix. Now the fact that he believes the sun is going to fart and cause a doomsday scenario this year is nutty. But the ingenuity to do what he has to be self sufficient is pretty sweet.

Gidget
01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm curious about something having never tried it myself. For those who store several months or even a year worth of food and other goods, are you able to effectively rotate through it? In other words, what percentage would you say eventually gets used and what percentage eventually gets thrown away?

Surfah's mom has a good amount of food storage, and so far I have observed that we do effectively rotate through things . . . . that we use regularly. This may seem like an obvious observation but if you are going to spend a crap load of money on 20 pounds of dried shredded potatoes, or wheat you better make sure you have a plan or at least have a plan to buy it again after 20 years. Our family tends to use flour, sugar, chocolate chips, beans, and wheat quite a bit, but that is because my MIL bakes a lot. We rarely eat potatoes at all in this house (as most of you know Hawaiians = white rice) and she was saving this wheat for Armageddon that did eventually go bad about 20 years into its 25 year exp, same with some of the beans she had stored. We always have 2 back ups of almost everything int he kitchen: ketchup, mustard, peanut butter, toilet paper, paper plates, cake mixes, cereal, canned foods (we buy those in half flats), applesauce, tuna, ziplock bags, toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, brown sugar, etc.

Anyway, so basically we plan for at least 6 months regular goods, and for years with bulk items (beans, wheat, choc chips, sugar, flour). We also do have some food we have canned ourselves, sweet pickles, jam . . . . And I would say we rotate really well through over 90% regular items (every day use) and about 50% bulk items, but we are also a big family living in one house (with big eaters). I think it depends on how well you want to be prepared for Armageddon/Zombie/nuclear war type times, or if you are just looking to have a good 6 month to 12 month stock. We are not very good about making meals in advance either. We don't have the freezer space to store freezer meals (even with 3 freezers :emb:), but I can see this being a great way to use more bulk items in bigger portions at a time.

Have no idea if this helped. This is just what happens in our house.

old_gregg
01-31-2012, 07:24 PM

right. the attractive part about emergency preparedness/survivalism has almost nothing to do with some imminent threat of societal collapse (at least for most people), and is way more about the game of having effective tools and skills for a lot of different scenarios.

RobinFinderson
02-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Anyone see the new show advertised on Nat Geo I think called Doomsday Preppers? It follows 4 "nutty" survivalist families.

Check out this clip:

tUM0TOkNALg

I started watching this posted video last night and didn't stop until it ended abruptly. I've been contemplating building a similar project at the South Central house for years, since we will probably move back there when Little Robin leaves for college. I think I would get sick of all of the eggs and tilapia.

The one thing the couple doesn't mention -- their setup is only good as long as they have access to fresh water. In Phoenix, I suspect the water is going to stop flowing pretty quick, come doomsday.

Eddie
02-01-2012, 03:54 PM
I started watching this posted video last night and didn't stop until it ended abruptly. I've been contemplating building a similar project at the South Central house for years, since we will probably move back there when Little Robin leaves for college. I think I would get sick of all of the eggs and tilapia.

The one thing the couple doesn't mention -- their setup is only good as long as they have access to fresh water. In Phoenix, I suspect the water is going to stop flowing pretty quick, come doomsday.

I thought they indicated that they recycle the water. Now, I know that only goes so far - but they talked about using that green mossy crap to purify it, and it going through a cycle. I guess I'm saying that depending on how they do that they might not need a whole lot of incoming water to maintain their ecosystem. But I agree with you that they will need some.

RobinFinderson
02-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I thought they indicated that they recycle the water. Now, I know that only goes so far - but they talked about using that green mossy crap to purify it, and it going through a cycle. I guess I'm saying that depending on how they do that they might not need a whole lot of incoming water to maintain their ecosystem. But I agree with you that they will need some.

True, but I imagine the rate of evaporation as a function of surface area, relative humidity, and air turbidity is not too forgiving in Phoenix.

old_gregg
02-17-2012, 11:15 PM
good deal on a fenix light:

http://slickguns.com/product/fenix-265-lumen-led-flashlight-60

SCcoug
02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Doomsday Preppers is awesome. By my count there have been four Mormons on so far. My favorite was the Utah woman prepping for a global pandemic. I wish I could find the video to post. They showed a drill she ran during an extended family dinner. It included making grandpa and grandma quickly dress in a bunny suit go outside and decontaminate on the way back in for dinner. A daughter-in law showed up late and had to wait in the living room isolation unit with her toddler.

old_gregg
03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
so, we were going through some stuff of my grandparents' tonight and i came across this bad boy. it's a buck, and it's stamped:

"Buck
U.S.A."

based on a bit of research, i think that it's a post 1986 model (because of the stamp format) but i don't know anything about it other than that. any knife experts want to chime in? it looks like they go for >$150 online, which is nice to know even though i'm not interested in getting rid of it.

http://i.imgur.com/FWLjm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/soUir.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JeAc6.jpg

DU Ute
03-16-2012, 12:17 AM
so, we were going through some stuff of my grandparents' tonight and i came across this bad boy. it's a buck, and it's stamped:

"Buck
U.S.A."

based on a bit of research, i think that it's a post 1986 model (because of the stamp format) but i don't know anything about it other than that. any knife experts want to chime in? it looks like they go for >$150 online, which is nice to know even though i'm not interested in getting rid of it.

http://i.imgur.com/FWLjm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/soUir.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JeAc6.jpg

That is a huge knife.

FN Phat
03-16-2012, 05:57 AM
That is a huge knife.

Nope. Just small hands.

UtahDan
03-17-2012, 10:49 PM

Check out this clip:

tUM0TOkNALg

Just saw the one with the LDS family from Alpine. It seems to me that what they are mostly doing is showcasing people who are mentally ill.

Drunk Tank
04-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Thought I'd bump this thread. I was looking at generators online today and came across this battery powered generator. It has built in solar panels to charge the battery. Not as much power as a traditional gas or diesel generator, but cool idea. I think it would be awesome in an emergency, or for tailgating, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmPkHVsZ4aQ

NorCalBYUFan
04-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Our stake is going all out:
www.tinyurl.com/EPHandbook-En

Our stake's been working on this for a long time. They've had us report if the HTers were able to get a physical printed version of this in every home.
We're going to be highlighting it for the next year. One chapter a month.

Good information. Use if if you can.

statman
04-26-2013, 02:27 PM
The problem with getting too elaborate on food storage - especially if you live in utah, is that if TSHTF scenario ever really does happen, guess what happens? Temporary law of consecration baby. Bring all the food into the bishop's storehouse - the cultural hall at church - and the bishop will be dividing it up as needed in the ward.

A couple years back my wife and I were the EP specialists in the ward. We did a survey of everyone in the ward - who had food storage, how much they thought they had, etc. We found out kind of shocking things - that basically all the High Priests in the ward had 6-12 months of food storage, that the families of the EQ, YM, YW and RS presidencies all had 6-12 months of food storage, and of the rest, about 50% had no food storage at all, and 50% had 1 to 3 months tops. And this is a neighborhood in N Utah county where the average home price is ~$350K. The depressing thing there is that the actual cost of survival-mode food storage calories that would sustain life for a year and give about 1800 calories a day - rice, beans, wheat and multi-vitamins - is only about $250-$300. For basic calories, to get 1500 calories you need about 1 pound of dried carbohydrates per day - wheat, rice, beans, etc. a 55 lb bucket of wheat is $18 at costo. Seven of those are all the calories you'd need for a year - that's $126. Swap-out rice and beans for some of the wheat and it's a bit more expensive. You want about 3 buckets of wheat, 3 buckets of rice and 2 buckets of beans and that, bought in bulk at costco with buckets and oxygen absorbers from that Emergency Preparedness store in Orem, would cost you ~$250 per person. Throw in multi-vitamins, a case or two of canned tomatoes per person and some spices and you're up to ~$350, living on what most of the people in the world survive on.

I'm sorry, but if you've got a $350K house and don't have any food storage, if TSHTF, you don't deserve anything from your bishop.

We have a couple things in our food storage that we simply wouldn't give to our bishop. We've got a diabetic son, and about a 24 month supply of insulin that he circulates through. In our food storage, we have a bunch of high-protein, high-fat items that he could eat and survive on without having to use too much insulin - certainly not as much insulin as he would require if he were eating the standard high-carb wheat/rice/beans survival food. Some of it is simple stuff like spam or corned beef. But other stuff is expensive survival food designed to be low-carb, high-fat, high-protein meals specifically for diabetics (and those who want to do Atkins!) after TSHTF. That stuff isn't going anywhere but to him (neither is the insulin)...

Back to the law of consecration thing - after my wife and I did the survey, we had a 5th-Sunday Bishop's choice meeting about EP, at which my wife and I presented stuff about what food storage is actually required to feed a person for a year, and the results of the survey we did. Then the Bishop did a little spiel and opened it up for questions. One of the first questions asked was about the Law of Consecration and TSHTF. Our Bishop dodged that question quite artfully. OF COURSE that's what would happen in such an instance. But the Bishop can't say that because those that have food storage would stop buying any more and some of those that don't have it would fail to buy it because the know others in the ward have it and the Bishop would take care of them...

Lost Student
04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
The problem with getting too elaborate on food storage - especially if you live in utah, is that if TSHTF scenario ever really does happen, guess what happens? Temporary law of consecration baby. Bring all the food into the bishop's storehouse - the cultural hall at church - and the bishop will be dividing it up as needed in the ward.

A couple years back my wife and I were the EP specialists in the ward. We did a survey of everyone in the ward - who had food storage, how much they thought they had, etc. We found out kind of shocking things - that basically all the High Priests in the ward had 6-12 months of food storage, that the families of the EQ, YM, YW and RS presidencies all had 6-12 months of food storage, and of the rest, about 50% had no food storage at all, and 50% had 1 to 3 months tops. And this is a neighborhood in N Utah county where the average home price is ~$350K. The depressing thing there is that the actual cost of survival-mode food storage calories that would sustain life for a year and give about 1800 calories a day - rice, beans, wheat and multi-vitamins - is only about $250-$300. For basic calories, to get 1500 calories you need about 1 pound of dried carbohydrates per day - wheat, rice, beans, etc. a 55 lb bucket of wheat is $18 at costo. Seven of those are all the calories you'd need for a year - that's $126. Swap-out rice and beans for some of the wheat and it's a bit more expensive. You want about 3 buckets of wheat, 3 buckets of rice and 2 buckets of beans and that, bought in bulk at costco with buckets and oxygen absorbers from that Emergency Preparedness store in Orem, would cost you ~$250 per person. Throw in multi-vitamins, a case or two of canned tomatoes per person and some spices and you're up to ~$350, living on what most of the people in the world survive on.

I'm sorry, but if you've got a $350K house and don't have any food storage, if TSHTF, you don't deserve anything from your bishop.

We have a couple things in our food storage that we simply wouldn't give to our bishop. We've got a diabetic son, and about a 24 month supply of insulin that he circulates through. In our food storage, we have a bunch of high-protein, high-fat items that he could eat and survive on without having to use too much insulin - certainly not as much insulin as he would require if he were eating the standard high-carb wheat/rice/beans survival food. Some of it is simple stuff like spam or corned beef. But other stuff is expensive survival food designed to be low-carb, high-fat, high-protein meals specifically for diabetics (and those who want to do Atkins!) after TSHTF. That stuff isn't going anywhere but to him (neither is the insulin)...

Back to the law of consecration thing - after my wife and I did the survey, we had a 5th-Sunday Bishop's choice meeting about EP, at which my wife and I presented stuff about what food storage is actually required to feed a person for a year, and the results of the survey we did. Then the Bishop did a little spiel and opened it up for questions. One of the first questions asked was about the Law of Consecration and TSHTF. Our Bishop dodged that question quite artfully. OF COURSE that's what would happen in such an instance. But the Bishop can't say that because those that have food storage would stop buying any more and some of those that don't have it would fail to buy it because the know others in the ward have it and the Bishop would take care of them...

I'm interested in the "expensive survival food designed to be low-carb, high-fat, high-protein meals specifically for diabetics." (I've got a diabetic daughter.) Where did you buy it? (And also, can I have some of yours if I don't get around to buying any before tshtf?)

BigPiney
04-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Our stake is going all out:
www.tinyurl.com/EPHandbook-En

Our stake's been working on this for a long time. They've had us report if the HTers were able to get a physical printed version of this in every home.
We're going to be highlighting it for the next year. One chapter a month.

Good information. Use if if you can.

That is great information. Thanks for sharing.

statman
04-28-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm interested in the "expensive survival food designed to be low-carb, high-fat, high-protein meals specifically for diabetics." (I've got a diabetic daughter.) Where did you buy it? (And also,n I have some of yours if I don't get around to buying any before tshtf?)

We talked to the emergency essentials folks and got them to supply us MRE s entrees with % of carbs in the 25-30% range instead of the normal normal 50-55% range. We've got boxes with probably 100 or so of the lower carb entrees - which are about 400 calories each. Basically none of them are noodles or rice entrees - mostly mystery meat with fatty gravy...

We also bought several cases of freeze dried egg powder, freeze dried cheese, and freeze dried chicken/beef/pork/sausage all of which are basically all fat and/or protein and zero carbs. He can add those to a smaller portions of the general survival starches that everyone else would be eating. We also got a bunch of freeze dried refried beans - still have carbs, but a bunch of it is dietary fiber and doesn't count for influence visit, and have a good deal of protein as well.

In total, we've got enough of the freeze dried protein/fat stuff, plus cases of stores-forever nasty-to-anyone-but-the-hungry meats (corned beef, spam, canned chicken,etc) so that he would have an ~1800 cal diet with roughlya third of the calories coming from carbs - where as your standard tshtf diets are more like 70-80% carbs (if not more).

wuapinmon
04-28-2013, 05:50 PM
I saw so many YSOF pitched onto FEMA heaps after Katrina, tens of thousands of dollars worth, that it gives me pause.

One funny side effect of all that wheat storage....most of the members' yards sprouted wheat that Winter.

FN Phat
12-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Cam's post this morning about the KA-BAR had me re-reading this thread. Some very good information.

Surfah
04-28-2014, 06:34 AM
This thing is so awesome.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a84_1398563985

Jeff Lebowski
04-28-2014, 06:40 AM

Whoa. I want one.

Surfah
04-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Whoa. I want one.

How fun would that be down in Moab?

Uncle Ted
04-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Whoa. I want one.

I need one as well. Do they sell these in the states? Maybe we can get a CS group discount.

FN Phat
04-28-2014, 08:06 AM
too bad you cant get one in the states...not that I could afford it anyways. The 490 is badass as well

cowboy
04-28-2014, 08:11 AM

Is there a naked woman sitting on it? My server is blocking it, and the only things I block with OpenDNS is porn/lingerie.

FN Phat
04-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Is there a naked woman sitting on it? My server is blocking it, and the only things I block with OpenDNS is porn/lingerie.

it is porn for the outdoorsman!

Surfah
04-28-2014, 08:14 AM
too bad you cant get one in the states...not that I could afford it anyways. The 490 is badass as well

It's not as expensive as I expected. The 490 fully loaded is about $54k US dollars.

FN Phat
04-28-2014, 08:15 AM
It's not as expensive as I expected. The 490 fully loaded is about $54k US dollars.

Thats not as bad as I thought either. You can drop some serious coin for a toy hauler.

old_gregg
04-28-2014, 08:35 AM

in addition to sweet content like this, liveleak tends to host videos of cartels chopping people's heads off. probably why it's getting filtered.

beefytee
04-28-2014, 08:45 AM
This direct link to the videos probably won't be blocked:

http://uev.com.au/show-dates

The video from liveleaks is for the 440.

Surfah
04-28-2014, 08:50 AM
in addition to sweet content like this, liveleak tends to host videos of cartels chopping people's heads off. probably why it's getting filtered.

Yeah Live Leak can be a risky click. Sorry.

cowboy
04-28-2014, 09:12 AM
This direct link to the videos probably won't be blocked:

http://uev.com.au/show-dates

The video from liveleaks is for the 440.

We used to have several of those, back when they had less gadgets and were called sheepwagons.

wuapinmon
04-30-2017, 02:56 PM
Now that I can afford to do it, what's the best electronic communication system, without getting crazy, after a natural disaster? Walkie talkies?

Uncle Ted
04-30-2017, 03:14 PM
Now that I can afford to do it, what's the best electronic communication system, without getting crazy, after a natural disaster? Walkie talkies?

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41iDhyl0i%2BL.jpg

Get one of these cables to program it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this software: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

wuapinmon
05-01-2017, 01:09 PM
https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41iDhyl0i%2BL.jpg

Get one of these cables to program it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this software: http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

So, it looks like you have to get a license to lawfully use one of those. Is that what you did?

Jeff Lebowski
05-01-2017, 01:23 PM

http://thebsreport.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/paper-cup.jpg?w=586

Uncle Ted
05-01-2017, 01:27 PM
So, it looks like you have to get a license to lawfully use one of those. Is that what you did?

(1) You can use it all you want without a license to receive only. You only need a license to transmit. If you don't trust yourself or your kids to not transmit then you can program it to receive only. Note that programming this radio can be done with or without the above cable. With the cable and the free software it is much easier to program, however. If you have a buddy with a HAM license they may already have this cable and know the local frequencies that the police, fire department, emergency weather, etc. use. They would be able to load these up for you fairly quick. If not, a little internet research you can find the frequencies that you will want to have.

(2) In a state of an emergency you don't need a HAM license to transmit on any frequency. Of course, getting a HAM license these days is just a matter of memorizing the questions and answers from a question pool and taking a 30-minute test. The question pool is relatively small and there are lots of smartphone apps they help you memorize the pool questions/answer pairs.

old_gregg
05-01-2017, 01:40 PM

https://asd-hs.wikispaces.com/file/view/telegraph1.jpg/361503414/644x473/telegraph1.jpg

BigFatMeanie
05-01-2017, 02:04 PM
https://asd-hs.wikispaces.com/file/view/telegraph1.jpg/361503414/644x473/telegraph1.jpg

Ooh, good idea! It totally worked in Independence Day when the aliens didn't know how to decipher Morse code. And because the aliens were so dumb, the humans were able to upload a virus to the alien mothership, complete with an "uploading virus" progress bar!

Uncle Ted
05-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Ooh, good idea! It totally worked in Independence Day when the aliens didn't know how to decipher Morse code. And because the aliens were so dumb, the humans were able to upload a virus to the alien mothership, complete with an "uploading virus" progress bar!

LOL... Aliens are so dumb.

old_gregg
05-01-2017, 02:56 PM

bro if u r trying to malign the jeff goldblum classic movie independence day by being "tongue in cheek" you better think twice or we're going to have a problem

wuapinmon
05-01-2017, 03:21 PM

At least on the 1980's V movies/shows they had to derive a toxin from the blood of a human/alien hybrid in order to "infect" the aliens.

PaloAltoCougar
05-01-2017, 03:47 PM
When I saw the first Independence Day (the second was pretty horrible, btw), I was hoping for a sequel about what happened to the alien back on the home planet who had the responsibility for uploading Norton Antivirus to the mothership before it took off. Imagine the egg on his face...