PDA

View Full Version : For my 100th post...

snowcat
03-23-2011, 06:42 PM
an introduction.

How did you find CUF?

Cougarblue--->Cougarboard--->Cougarguard--->CUF

What do you like about CUF?

Great diversity of opinion and experience. At times the posts can make me laugh out loud, challenge my preconceptions, or wonder how someone who seems so smart, can post something so stupid.

What don't I like about CUF?

I think this place would be better with the remaining CG holdouts. MW, Arch, Tex, Cali would add to the discussion. ( I would really like to hear from the old Adam)

Even a little Ex0ute would be nice (if you could limit the daily post count to 5 or less)

How did you choose your moniker?

I have carried it through several boards.

What do you do (other than read CUF)?

Spend time with the family, work. I enjoy the mountains, the court, the field or the course as time allows.

How many States have you lived in?

Utah (Spain on the mission)
The cities in Utah where I have lived (from favorite to least favorite):
Brigham City
Bountiful
Murray
Orem
Provo
West Jordan
South Jordan

What are your sports loyalties?

BYU Football
BYU Basketball
USMNT Soccer
Real Salt Lake
BYU Soccer (M&W)
BYU V-Ball
Utah Jazz
Ogden Raptors

What's your standing in the church?

Active - the fire burns.
Not nearly as orthodox as many (most?) active members.
Married a Woman who knows.

Do you pee in the sink?

Never. I take my two youngest boys on a hike in the mountains behind our house nearly every Sunday. The highlight for my youngest used to be when he could drop them and pee on a tree. I have since convinced him to only use that in case of emergency.

When your kids get older, will you do drugs with them in order to teach them a responsible approach to drugs?

No.

Why are you so creepy? How long have you been lurking?

Sorry.

Bonus information:
Political leanings:
fiscal conservative - social moderate (tough to find a politician who acts this way)
Career:
Proud capitalist.
Why do you have Little Obama as your Avatar:
I have not been a BO fan and have been quick to criticize him. When I saw this picture he became human to me. Sometimes I need a reminder.
(I have an extra soft spot as we have adopted two half AA boys)

For JL - Chemical Engineer by training.
For Art V - The only thing that would make me want to seriously consider leaving the church would be a call as Bishop. Anyone who accepts that call deserves to have ther ticket punched.
For Waup, Pellegrino, SIEQ - If I had to live the movie Ground Hog Day, I would choose to spend part of that eternal day learning from you.
For RF, DDD, PAC, 71 - You would be early on my like to have dinner list.
For SU - March will end.
For Marsupial - though not a defect, it is gone (for me and all four of my boys) - okay maybe that is too much of an introduction.
For the rest - I am surprised at how much I look forward to reading the thoughts of anonymous, faceless internet posters that make up CUF.

wuapinmon
03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Welcome. You're worthy of a wuap question. I shall construct one in the next week, time permitting.

Lost Student
03-23-2011, 07:32 PM

:highfive: Whenabouts did you graduate?

snowcat
03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
:highfive: Whenabouts did you graduate?

86 - yes, I am old.

happyone
03-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Welcome, Welcome

'86, you're still a young pup:)

byu71
03-23-2011, 09:37 PM
an introduction.

How did you find CUF?

Cougarblue--->Cougarboard--->Cougarguard--->CUF

What do you like about CUF?

Great diversity of opinion and experience. At times the posts can make me laugh out loud, challenge my preconceptions, or wonder how someone who seems so smart, can post something so stupid.

What don't I like about CUF?

I think this place would be better with the remaining CG holdouts. MW, Arch, Tex, Cali would add to the discussion. ( I would really like to hear from the old Adam)

Even a little Ex0ute would be nice (if you could limit the daily post count to 5 or less)

How did you choose your moniker?

I have carried it through several boards.

What do you do (other than read CUF)?

Spend time with the family, work. I enjoy the mountains, the court, the field or the course as time allows.

How many States have you lived in?

Utah (Spain on the mission)
The cities in Utah where I have lived (from favorite to least favorite):
Brigham City
Bountiful
Murray
Orem
Provo
West Jordan
South Jordan

What are your sports loyalties?

BYU Football
BYU Basketball
USMNT Soccer
Real Salt Lake
BYU Soccer (M&W)
BYU V-Ball
Utah Jazz
Ogden Raptors

What's your standing in the church?

Active - the fire burns.
Not nearly as orthodox as many (most?) active members.
Married a Woman who knows.

Do you pee in the sink?

Never. I take my two youngest boys on a hike in the mountains behind our house nearly every Sunday. The highlight for my youngest used to be when he could drop them and pee on a tree. I have since convinced him to only use that in case of emergency.

When your kids get older, will you do drugs with them in order to teach them a responsible approach to drugs?

No.

Why are you so creepy? How long have you been lurking?

Sorry.

Bonus information:
Political leanings:
fiscal conservative - social moderate (tough to find a politician who acts this way)
Career:
Proud capitalist.
I have not been a BO fan and have been quick to criticize him. When I saw this picture he became human to me. Sometimes I need a reminder.

For Art V - The only thing that would make me want to seriously consider leaving the church would be a call as Bishop. Anyone who accepts that call deserves to have ther ticket punched.
For Waup, Pellegrino, SIEQ - If I had to live the movie Ground Hog Day, I would choose to spend part of that eternal day learning from you.
For RF, DDD, PAC, 71 - You would be early on my like to have dinner list.
For SU - March will end.
For Marsupial - though not a defect, it is gone (for me and all four of my boys) - okay maybe that is too much of an introduction.
For the rest - I am surprised at how much I look forward to reading the thoughts of anonymous, faceless internet posters that make up CUF.

I could do lunch, dinner might be more difficult.

New Mexican Disaster
03-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Welcome snowcat. Good to know you better.

Uncle Ted
03-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Career:
Proud capitalist.

Welcome!

RobinFinderson
03-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Dinner? If you are in LA, drop me a PM and we can make that happen. Bonus of witnessing Faith and Little Robin make fun of my manhood.

snowcat
03-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Dinner? If you are in LA, drop me a PM and we can make that happen. Bonus of witnessing Faith and Little Robin make fun of my manhood.

I get to LA several times a year. I will take you up on this.

snowcat
03-24-2011, 09:32 AM
I could do lunch, dinner might be more difficult.

Expect a PM when time allows me to shoot for this.

falafel
03-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Nice. A traditional no-pants dinner.

RobinFinderson
03-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Nice. A traditional no-pants dinner.

The Findersons are all about tradition.

byu71
03-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Expect a PM when time allows me to shoot for this.

Looking forward to it.

snowcat
03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Looking forward to it.

You are planning to wear pants, right?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-24-2011, 11:43 PM
What are the main differences between South Jordan and West Jordan? Other than the obvious latitudinal and longitudinal ones.

byu71
03-24-2011, 11:47 PM
You are planning to wear pants, right?

Yea, can't afford to get a letter sent to HR and I am sure someone from the office would see me.

snowcat
03-25-2011, 01:10 PM
What are the main differences between South Jordan and West Jordan? Other than the obvious latitudinal and longitudinal ones.

Not much.

Sullyute
03-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Welcome, welcome. I like the new avatar. :bump:

PS I liked the old avatar too, Mr. Bean is great. :D

wuapinmon
04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
snowcat, please answer the following question. However, consider your answer carefully, as our future dealings on this site may depend, in large part, on your answer to this:

In Tolkien's Middle Earth, there are several races that are immortal, or live long lives. Man, however, is blessed with the Gift of Men, or the ability to die, to cease to exist in the present. Jorge Luis Borges wrote, "quiero morir del todo," meaning "I want to die completely," citing Homer as an example of someone immortal who surely must be bored by now with all the possibilities of endless time having fulfilled the words of Ecclesiastes 1 several times over. Death surrounds us, but we ignore it because it's always out there, coming for us, but never actually present until we cease being. We are Dasein, according to Martin Heidegger, and as Beings-Toward-Death we conceal our concept of death because of its abstraction in some kind of futurosity. Bill Murray's comical death in Zombieland is nothing like his mutiple deaths in Groundhog Day, which were born of his frustration with immortality, bound in a nutshell as it were, of infinite time, but finite space. He never lacked the mettle to do himself in, hoping to end his being. Being a fan of metal: gold, silver, steel, Metallica, I have an affinity for rhythmic sound, piercing guitars, big bass lines, and growled lyrics. Metallica's "One" lost a grammy for the best metal/hard rock song to Jethro Tull. So, the question remains, can a band be a rock band if Ian Anderson is playing the flute on the album? Explain your answer.

snowcat
04-01-2011, 02:16 PM
snowcat, please answer the following question. However, consider your answer carefully, as our future dealings on this site may depend, in large part, on your answer to this:

In Tolkien's Middle Earth, there are several races that are immortal, or live long lives. Man, however, is blessed with the Gift of Men, or the ability to die, to cease to exist in the present. Jorge Luis Borges wrote, "quiero morir del todo," meaning "I want to die completely," citing Homer as an example of someone immortal who surely must be bored by now with all the possibilities of endless time having fulfilled the words of Ecclesiastes 1 several times over. Death surrounds us, but we ignore it because it's always out there, coming for us, but never actually present until we cease being. We are Dasein, according to Martin Heidegger, and as Beings-Toward-Death we conceal our concept of death because of its abstraction in some kind of futurosity. Bill Murray's comical death in Zombieland is nothing like his mutiple deaths in Groundhog Day, which were born of his frustration with immortality, bound in a nutshell as it were, of infinite time, but finite space. He never lacked the mettle to do himself in, hoping to end his being. Being a fan of metal: gold, silver, steel, Metallica, I have an affinity for rhythmic sound, piercing guitars, big bass lines, and growled lyrics. Metallica's "One" lost a grammy for the best metal/hard rock song to Jethro Tull. So, the question remains, can a band be a rock band if Ian Anderson is playing the flute on the album? Explain your answer.

This is an interesting question and was originally faced by Jethro Tull very early in their history. Shortly after organizing in 1968, there was a disagreement on whether young Ian and his flute should be the focal point of the band. The original band came from blues roots, and the flute was not standard to this tradition. Early band managers and the lead guitarist wanted to put Ian in the background and make the guitar the focal point. Ian prevailed and what we know as Jethro Tull is the result.

My answer is yes, it is not the size of your instrument, but what you do with it that makes the music.

As an aside, I have only seen Jethro Tull once, live in concert. This was well past their prime and Ian was already showing signs of age, as was most of the audience. He still spent much of the performance in his trademarked one leg stand. This was obviously becoming a physical challenge and his performance was marked by his rocking a bit on that leg. The swaying matched the rhythm of the aging hippie in front of me wearing a wonderful rainbow tie-dye shirt.

Tie-dye has roots in many ancient cultures including the Chinese T'ang dynasty as well as the Nara period in Japan. One of the early materials of choice for tie-dye was hemp. Hemp is now often associated with the modern counter cultures who look to rock for their musical identity. Another small evidence of the appropriate classification of Jethro Tull as rock music.

wuapinmon
04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
This is an interesting question and was originally faced by Jethro Tull very early in their history. Shortly after organizing in 1968, there was a disagreement on whether young Ian and his flute should be the focal point of the band. The original band came from blues roots, and the flute was not standard to this tradition. Early band managers and the lead guitarist wanted to put Ian in the background and make the guitar the focal point. Ian prevailed and what we know as Jethro Tull is the result.

My answer is yes, it is not the size of your instrument, but what you do with it that makes the music.

As an aside, I have only seen Jethro Tull once, live in concert. This was well past their prime and Ian was already showing signs of age, as was most of the audience. He still spent much of the performance in his trademarked one leg stand. This was obviously becoming a physical challenge and his performance was marked by his rocking a bit on that leg. The swaying matched the rhythm of the aging hippie in front of me wearing a wonderful rainbow tie-dye shirt.

Tie-dye has roots in many ancient cultures including the Chinese T'ang dynasty as well as the Nara period in Japan. One of the early materials of choice for tie-dye was hemp. Hemp is now often associated with the modern counter cultures who look to rock for their musical identity. Another small evidence of the appropriate classification of Jethro Tull as rock music.

We shall be great friends.

hostile
04-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Only once for me as well, at the old Salt Palace. A group of friends and I snuck in using a dinner fork and a butter knife. Great show, but as we were all freshmen we stuck out somewhat.

pellegrino
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Welcome, snowcat. Your use of the pellegrino-approved template as an anniversary marker is most appropriate.