PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Collie missed the cut as a Biletnikoff finalist.......

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 04:58 PM
The finalists are:

Dez Bryant: 66 catches 1222 yards 16 tds
Jeremy Maclin: 79 catches 1052 yards 10 tds
Michael Crabtree: 84 catches 1072 yards 18 tds

Not bad choices at all, but just for comparisons sake:

Austin Collie: 95 catches 1492 yards 15 tds

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Also in what I think is an absolute joke, Dennis Pitta is not a finalist for the Mackey.

Chase Coffman: 72 catches 819 yards 7 tds
Jermaine Gresham: 41 catches 648 yards 10 tds
Brandon Pettigrew: 35 catches 383 yards, 0 tds

Dennis Pitta: 78 catches 1025 yards, 6 tds

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 05:11 PM
You seem surprised, junkie.

All the finalists for both awards are from BCS conferences. In fact, they all look like they're from the Big 12.

A kid from the MWC doesn't have a chance.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 05:14 PM

All the finalists for both awards are from BCS conferences. In fact, they all look like they're from the Big 12.

It seems like usually these awards are a bit less biased, I understand Collie not making the cut but Pitta is baffling, I know Gresham is a beast and Coffman is solid, but Pettigrew has 345 yards receiving, Pitta had that in the first 2 games.

woot
11-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Those do seem like some pretty poor choices, although all 3 receivers they did pick are hard to argue against. The TE choice should be more clear, though. What's with #3 on that list? Is he just a really good blocker?

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 05:19 PM
By the way Sakoda is a finalist for both kicking awards. The groza and the Ray Guy.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 05:21 PM
It seems like usually these awards are a bit less biased, I understand Collie not making the cut but Pitta is baffling, I know Gresham is a beast and Coffman is solid, but Pettigrew has 345 yards receiving, Pitta had that in the first 2 games.

I agree about Pitta. He's arguably the best TE in the country.
Either him or Chris Joppru from the Utes. I think he had one reception this year. For a TD. This past Saturday.

SteelBlue
11-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Didn't the same thing happen to Harline?

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Didn't the same thing happen to Harline?

Yep the Mackey Award has never gone to a Non-BCS player.

3 years in a row in the late 90s the Biletnikoff went to Non-BCS players.

Also as I look at all the finalists, Louie Sakoda is the only Non-BCS player that is a finalist.

Babs
11-24-2008, 05:42 PM
These awards are always so illogical.

Bradford has better stats than all three of the Maxwell award finalists: Tebow, Harrell, and McCoy. The only QB with better stats is the kid from Tulsa, and he's not a finalist for any of the awards either.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 05:47 PM
These awards are always so illogical.

Bradford has better stats than all three of the Maxwell award finalists: Tebow, Harrell, and McCoy. The only QB with better stats is the kid from Tulsa, and he's not a finalist for any of the awards either.

Agreed. The biggest injustice of post season awards was when Steve McNair didn't win the Heisman. Sure, he played Division I-AA, but he was the best football player in the country that year.

The irony of it all was that his loss in the Div. I-AA playoffs is what voters claimed hurt his chances to win more than anything else.

SteelBlue
11-24-2008, 05:51 PM
The irony of it all was that his loss in the Div. I-AA playoffs is what voters claimed hurt his chances to win more than anything else.

Well I blame SI putting him on the cover. Remember the headline? "Hand him the Heisman!" It was over at that point.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Well I blame SI putting him on the cover. Remember the headline? "Hand him the Heisman!" It was over at that point.

Ah, yes, the SI curse.

The little guys never get a break (without carrying a gun).

Babs
11-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Agreed. The biggest injustice of post season awards was when Steve McNair didn't win the Heisman.

There's also the guy that won the Heisman after leading his team to a two-win season.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 06:20 PM
There's also the guy that won the Heisman after leading his team to a two-win season.

Which one was that? I honestly don't remember.

But I'd guess that he came from a BCS school.

Babs
11-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Which one was that? I honestly don't remember.

But I'd guess that he came from a BCS school.

It was forever ago. I think he played for Notre Dame.

LA Ute
11-24-2008, 06:40 PM
It was forever ago. I think he played for Notre Dame.

Was it Rocket Ismail?

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Was it Rocket Ismail?

Rocket lost to a young upstart from Brigham Young University.

LA Ute
11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Rocket lost to a young upstart from Brigham Young University.

Thanks. Seems like that's something I should have remembered . . . .

Babs
11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Was it Rocket Ismail?

No, I meant wayyy back.

Paul Hornung
Notre Dame Back
The blond, 220-pound Golden Boy, despite a mediocre Notre Dame team, carried the ball 94 times his senior year for 420 yards for an average of 4.5 yards per try. He completed 59 of 111 passes for gave him a total offensive figure of 1,337 yards. The jack-of-all- trades could run, pass, and block and tackle. He was probably the greatest all-around player in Notre Dame's history and is the only Heisman winner to have played on a losing team as the Irish were the Green Bay Packers, led the NFL in scoring for three straight years and was voted MVP in 1960 and 1961. He accomplished his records despite injuries and military obligations, and it is no wonder that his coach Vince Lombardi called him "the most versatile man who ever played the game." He is a member of the National High School, the College Football and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is President of Paul Hornung Sports Showcase and Paul Hornung Enterprises, Inc., and is Vice-President of Real Estate and Investment Co.

That's pretty funny. They refer to the team as "mediocre." The team went 2-8, still stands as the worst Notre Dame season in school history.

SteelBlue
11-24-2008, 09:15 PM
FWIW I can imagine the best player in college football playing on a crappy team. I'd rather see an amazing athlete on a 2-8 team get it (like a Payton with the Bears college equivalent scenario) than see a Gino Toretta get it just because his loaded team went undefeated.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
No, I meant wayyy back.

That's pretty funny. They refer to the team as "mediocre." The team went 2-8, still stands as the worst Notre Dame season in school history.

Paul Horning went on to have a Hall of Fame career in the NFL. He was a helluva player.

As Steel points out, Gino Toretta didn't deserve the Heisman. He had teammates that made him look good.

But the biggest travesty is still McNair. The guy was so good in college and had a nice career in the NFL. But he was ignored because he "only" played for Alcorn State.

smokymountainrain
11-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Nice observation. six finalists in the "receiving" category and all six are from one conference. I have to believe that has never happend before.

Not to mention those six are from only 4 different teams.

smokymountainrain
11-25-2008, 07:52 AM
As Steel points out, Gino Toretta didn't deserve the Heisman. He had teammates that made him look good.

And even being surrounded by great teammates, individually he wasn't impressive.