Criminal records in college football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal records in college football

I guess SI and CBS news just wrapped up an investigation into the criminal records of college football players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

In it they discuss Utah's recruitment of Viliseni Fauonuku. Interesting read.

KSL.com ran this story about it today

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=294&sid=14573832

I saw that and I am all for giving a kid a second chance. But felony armed robbery? No way in hell.
    *Banned*

Comment

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...gham-High.html

this article is a summary of the investigation of Fauonuku by the reporters of this story. fascinating and frightening. Every story has a thousand different angle. i give props to the victims as well as the prosecutor and police for speaking candidly to the reporter. Even Fauonuku and the bingham head coach spoke candidly about the incident.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post
        http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...gham-High.html

this article is a summary of the investigation of Fauonuku by the reporters of this story. fascinating and frightening. Every story has a thousand different angle. i give props to the victims as well as the prosecutor and police for speaking candidly to the reporter. Even Fauonuku and the bingham head coach spoke candidly about the incident.
        So what do you think, felony armed robbery should a kid be given a second chance for something that serious?
        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          So what do you think, felony armed robbery should a kid be given a second chance for something that serious?
          I don't know, but the LMJ case is the one that just kills me. felony armed robbery prolly just means the kid had a gun on him but didn't hurt anybody. LMJ beat the **** out of a girl.

Comment

a lot of good comes from second chances. so, yes i do think that it's appropriate in the right case, but it is still playing with fire. just ask wannstedt or urban about that. troubled youth can be tricky even if they are talented athletes.

it seems likely that kwhit may end up being a good influence on this kid and help him to mature, same with his position coaches and the other players around him. college professors and socratic dialogue might help him understand himself better and gain an appreciation for being peaceful and kind and productive.

it's not black and white, cougjunkie... pull his scholarship and he could end up bitter and angry and do something even worse. or, he could do something worse regardless. you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
              I don't know, but the LMJ case is the one that just kills me. felony armed robbery prolly just means the kid had a gun on him but didn't hurt anybody. LMJ beat the **** out of a girl.
              In this case he robbed them and threatened them with death.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeUte View Post
                a lot of good comes from second chances. so, yes i do think that it's appropriate in the right case, but it is still playing with fire. just ask wannstedt or urban about that. troubled youth can be tricky even if they are talented athletes.

it seems likely that kwhit may end up being a good influence on this kid and help him to mature, same with his position coaches and the other players around him. college professors and socratic dialogue might help him understand himself better and gain an appreciation for being peaceful and kind and productive.

it's not black and white, cougjunkie... pull his scholarship and he could end up bitter and angry and do something even worse. or, he could do something worse regardless. you never know.
                So because you are worried he may do something worse reward him with a college football scholarship? Sorry but if it was marijuana (see harvey langi), petty theft, even a DUI I could see giving the kid a second chance after some sort of penalty. But armed robbery where you tell the victims if you tell anyone I will kill you. He can earn his second chance doing something else but should not be rewarded with a football scholarship.
                *Banned*

Comment

So because you are worried he may do something worse reward him with a college football scholarship? Sorry but if it was marijuana (see harvey langi), petty theft, even a DUI I could see giving the kid a second chance after some sort of penalty. But armed robbery where you tell the victims if you tell anyone I will kill you. He can earn his second chance doing something else but should not be rewarded with a football scholarship.
                  Is it really a second chance if you're taking away from him an opportunity to do something he does best? If anything, it's paving the way for him to have a second chance at committing a similar or worse act.

Utah is in a tough spot, because several people before Kyle and the U. gave this kid a second chance -- the prosecutor by moving the case to juvenile court, and Peck for allowing the kid to play his senior season. If we told Faounuku to take a hike, we look bad just the same. But we'll look worse if Faounuku does something criminal while he's here.

The most mortifying aspect about this (from a publicity standpoint) is that the hard copy of Sports Illustrated has the story leading with the Faounuku details. The first account I read came online, and pushed his story further down the story. In SI, Faounuku IS the story that leads off the entire investigation. It's one step shy of putting him on the cover.

Comment

In this case he robbed them and threatened them with death.
                    Sorry. I'm a little slow on the uptake. I didn't realize the kid was a Ute. Yes, that makes it much much worse.

Comment

I saw that and I am all for giving a kid a second chance. But felony armed robbery? No way in hell.
                      Has he served time, etc.? How old is he?

I seem to be a lot more forgiving than most people here.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        Has he served time, etc.? How old is he?

I seem to be a lot more forgiving than most people here.
                        Why don't you read the story for yourself? It's all over the Internet.

Comment

I saw that and I am all for giving a kid a second chance. But felony armed robbery? No way in hell. if he is committed to play at BYU
                          I fixed your statement for you.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

This article is overstated. Males aged 18-22 who don't play college football are more likely to have a police record than those who do play college football.

Also, the process for obtaining the records of high school recruits is much more complex than the article suggests.
                            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                              I fixed your statement for you.
                              BYU pulled their schollie offer to this kid as soon as he was arrested. They would not allow someone convicted of armed robbery with the threat to cause bodily harm on the roster. Sorry just being honest.

It is just like Willie Williams who played at 3 different schools before flaming out. Or these punk ass rapists that end up getting college scholarships. I don't think you should get a second chance let alone one that is worth 100k in scholarship money. You can have your second chance at being a productive citizen in society but not a privilege like a college scholarship.
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X