As a young lad on the farm,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a young lad on the farm,

I developed a taste for alfalfa. Out in the field, I loved to pluck the purple flowers (only around when we didn't get the hay down in time, or in the places the swather couldn't reach) and eat one or two or twelve.

The other day, I was trolling one of our fine local supermarkets (sidenote: Utah supermarkets are woefully inadequate to those who love things like good cheese) and ran across alfalfa sprouts. I use sprouts here and there, but usually radish type ones for the bite, or mung bean in Japanese cooking.

So, keeping with the diet, I did the following:

Take one costco cook-at-home Tortilla of the Angels. Cook it.

Take a small amount of meat (all I had handy was a bit of ham) and stick in the bottom.

Cover with baby spinach leaves.

Cover that with alfalfa sprouts.

Drizzle balsamic vinegar.

Eat. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Obviously I've omitted a ton of stuff that I could also put in there (a cheese, for example) and I can thing of things I'd rather have than ham (prosciutto, for example, or even grilled chicken) but the end result is that I have a quick and low-cal diet food that I love. Thanks to my good friend alfalfa.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    I developed a taste for alfalfa. Out in the field, I loved to pluck the purple flowers (only around when we didn't get the hay down in time, or in the places the swather couldn't reach) and eat one or two or twelve.

The other day, I was trolling one of our fine local supermarkets (sidenote: Utah supermarkets are woefully inadequate to those who love things like good cheese) and ran across alfalfa sprouts. I use sprouts here and there, but usually radish type ones for the bite, or mung bean in Japanese cooking.

So, keeping with the diet, I did the following:

Take one costco cook-at-home Tortilla of the Angels. Cook it.

Take a small amount of meat (all I had handy was a bit of ham) and stick in the bottom.

Cover with baby spinach leaves.

Cover that with alfalfa sprouts.

Drizzle balsamic vinegar.

Eat. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Obviously I've omitted a ton of stuff that I could also put in there.
    One variation:

tuna for the meat. (Preferably white albacore, but regular old water-or-oil packed tuna fush works too). Taste more like a tuna salad than a tuna fish sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      One variation:

tuna for the meat. (Preferably white albacore, but regular old water-or-oil packed tuna fush works too). Taste more like a tuna salad than a tuna fish sandwich.
      Lately I've been using roast beef cold cuts. It is tasty!

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        Lately I've been using roast beef cold cuts. It is tasty!
        Thanks for the support nikuman. Katy is a communist.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
          Despite my sushi-loving low-fat lawyerly ways, you of all people should know I prefer beef as a method of extracting a measure of revenge. That will never change.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            But I'm prepared to switch. It's the least I could do to thank you for serving as the pin-up model for my entire Relief Society.

Comment

Working...
            X