Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Harmon Joe DuPaix Interview

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ball.html?pg=1

PROVO — If Brandon Doman is BYU's version of Dale Carnegie, then his new sidekick Joey Dupaix is Anthony Robbins.

Send Doman and Dupaix out in the world to sell BYU football, and you've got a pair of missionaries minus name tags or bikes.

Dupaix joined BYU's football staff to bring his personality, enthusiasm, energy and football IQ to Doman's offense. One of his prime duties will be selling the product after Bronco Mendenhall recently named him the staff's recruiting coordinator. He replaces Paul Tidwell, who will concentrate on his duties as a linebacker coach after the Class of 2011 recruits are in the stable.

Selling BYU to prospective student-athletes?

Dupaix is anxious, willing and chomping at the bit.

Dupaix hasn't just sipped the Kool-Aid, he's downed the pitcher and is wiping his chin.

He's been a BYU fan all his life. His father, the famous Skyline High coach Roger Dupaix, was an All-WAC offensive lineman for the Cougars in the early 1960s.

"It's in my blood, always has been," said Joey. "Since I was born, I've gone to BYU football camps and games. BYU has always been a place in my heart that I've loved and been a part of."

When Dupaix starts talking about his new job, he kind of morphs into sounding like Doman.

"It's just the enthusiasm I have for this place, the love I have for this University and coaching staff,” Dupaix said. “I have 100 percent complete trust in coach Bronco Mendenhall and believe in everything he is doing with this program. The unity on this staff I feel is tremendous, and the energy I feel on this campus for the football program is tremendous. I feel humbled and excited at the same time to be a part of it."

Dupaix comes to BYU from Navy where his recruiting area was the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. The Midshipmen have mined about 35 football players out of Texas over the years.

"It is gee-normus," said Dupaix. "There are a lot of football players in Texas."

It is fair to speculation that one of Dupaix's assigned recruiting areas will be Texas.

"Paul (Tidwell) is going to coach me up," said Dupaix of his new duty as recruiting coordinator. "We're going make sure we are as well-prepared as we can be to get the best football players we can find and bring to this institution."

So, what does he bring to the table?

Well, for one, it is his loyalty to Mendenhall and Doman. That cannot be under emphasized as BYU pushes forward with a reorganized offensive staff.

Second, he is smart — football smart.

Third, he has zeal. He's an animated guy. Like Doman, he's got fire.

"Hopefully I bring the energy and passion I carry for football and the University. Hopefully that will be the biggest impact I have here. I've met with the running backs and I'm excited to coach them and they seem equally excited to have me be part of BYU."

At Navy, Dupaix recruited and placed athletes in the Navy Prep School, a system similar to what Air Force uses.

“It was a tremendous advantage to get young men acclimated to what the service academy is all about,” he said.

Dupaix will now work with another unique situation with BYU by recruiting with its honor code and juggling the coming and going of LDS missions with athletes.

Like Doman, Dupaix served an LDS mission. His service was in Colombia, and so understands the challenge of going and returning.

"Recruiting for BYU will be a phenomenal deal," he said.

"Recruiting athletes to this institution is first and foremost first-class all the way. We're going independent and you can talk about those things. You can talk about the deal with ESPN and the exposure and what it means to a recruit. It just makes it so exciting to talk to a young man and talk about the possibilities of coming to this place.

"There is always a learning curve when you go to another place. There are some things that I need to learn, but as far as going out and recruiting to BYU, I couldn't be more ecstatic about it. I'm just fired up about it."

Dupaix, a Doman clone — positive, happy and as they say, walking in high cotton. He's got a little Zig Ziglar in him.

Probably just what BYU football needs right about now.
    A few things from the article.

1) I thought the DuPaix clan were Utes. This piece makes it sound like they are very BYU with a dad who played at the Y. I don't know why I had thought that.
    2) Sounds like he has had good success recruiting down in Texas. That is a bonus. Especially if a move to the Big 12 is even potentially on the horizon. Being familiar with that area is definitely a plus.
    3) I think he has been undervalued as being a smart football guy. I love the fact that he has a great football pedigree. Son of a very successful football coach. Been a successful OC previously, though at a lower level. Having the help and additional input alongside Doman is a huge bonus IMO.

I also get that the point of the article is a rah-rah type article. But I thought the few points of clarification were interesting, and definitely have me more excited about this hire. Honestly, probably more so than the Cahoon one.

Why were so many people questioning whether or not Dupaix was a BYU guy? I don't get that at all. All indications from people I've spoken to (one played for him at Riverton) was that he has been a BYU guy his whole life. Fellow Kool-aid drinker, DH concurs.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

The article states that Doman is animated and has fire. Is this really his rep? I didnt know that.

BYU needs some really animated, crazy guys on the recruiting trail. Recruits need to be pumped about signing.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        The article states that Doman is animated and has fire. Is this really his rep? I didnt know that.

BYU needs some really animated, crazy guys on the recruiting trail. Recruits need to be pumped about signing.
        Jake Heaps mom said that Doman was as good as any recruiters they talked to including those from the SEC. Doman is the main reason Jake ended up at BYU.
        *Banned*

Comment

Outside of your coordinators and maybe your OL coach, I don't believe there's anything too technical for assistant coaches. 80% of their value is in their ability to recruit. Dupaix sounds like a good hire. Personable guy that's energetic and a hard worker.

I discount much of his football smarts because he's been doing option football his whole life. But as a RB coach, he'll adjust fine at BYU.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Good one. You almost had me there. Questioning Doman being animated and having fire. DDD almost at his trolling best.

Comment

Working...
            X