USU to the MWC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USU to the MWC

Great news if this turns out to be the case. The Ags need something to break their way in this whole expansion mess.

The final vote for expansion was expected to take place Monday night. Sources said prior to the vote that expansion was likely and Utah State would then likely be asked to join and would accept the offer. No exact timetable was given for the announcement, but it is expected to be official in the next 24 to 48 hours.
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ining-MWC.html

Good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
      Great news if this turns out to be the case. The Ags need something to break their way in this whole expansion mess.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ining-MWC.html

If it happens, I am happy for USU. Without the invite, USU would have lost its D1 football status. Crowds are bad enough, but with the crappy teams playing USU every week, nobody would go to the games. It would be nice to see USU have a chance to keep improving.

Also, USU for hoops would add to a solid conference with USU, UNLV, New Mexico, SDSU, etc. The MoWest is obviously weakened, but will still be viable.

Comment

I saw some tweets this morning saying the WAC is dead. This is what they must have meant. Glad to see little brother getting some crumbs.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

I'm happy for the Aggies. I like to see them do well.

Comment

I hope so. I'm an Aggie Bball fan.

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
            Also, USU for hoops would add to a solid conference with USU, UNLV, New Mexico, SDSU, etc. The MoWest is obviously weakened, but will still be viable.
            It's not weakened by much. USU replaces BYU quite well. And Nevada replaces Utah (but not really historical Utah). Fresno is dead weight, but offsets TCU just fine.

Overall, the additions ensure that the MWC is a significantly better basketball conference than the WCC. I'd have like to have USU in our BBall conference.

Comment

Looks like the television deal is at the center of this:

With BYU and Utah leaving the Mountain West after this season, the league will not have a school in the state of Utah. Reports have surfaced that television deals, which include Comcast, want a team in the Salt Lake City market. USU could fill that.
              http://news.hjnews.com/sports/articl...cc4c002e0.html

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
                Looks like the television deal is at the center of this:

http://news.hjnews.com/sports/articl...cc4c002e0.html
                Looking at the remaining schools, I still don't see how the MTN is a viable product. I'm guessing it is barely making ends meet now and I'm willing to bet >60% of its viewers are from BYU-Utah. Boise State has very loyal rabid fans, but they are extremely regional and not large in number.

Comment

This is funny Tony Jones of the trib was trying to say that USU would dominate the MWC in basketball. Just like they have dominated the WAC.

Also the WAC is trying to stay together and rumor has it they will offer UVU a spot as a non-football participant.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    This is funny Tony Jones of the trib was trying to say that USU would dominate the MWC in basketball. Just like they have dominated the WAC.

Also the WAC is trying to stay together and rumor has it they will offer UVU a spot as a non-football participant.

For the good of College sports the WAC should just go away.

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                      If it happens, I am happy for USU. Without the invite, USU would have lost its D1 football status. Crowds are bad enough, but with the crappy teams playing USU every week, nobody would go to the games. It would be nice to see USU have a chance to keep improving.
                      I have long wondered if USU could not become a regular in the FCS playoff scene would it improve their attendance?

I know nothing about the USU student or fan base, but it seems that it would be more fun to watch a USU team that could be a very good FCS team rather than an also ran WAC/MWC team.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        I know nothing about the USU student or fan base
                        I thought your grew up in Utah? The rain must be getting to your brain.

White, bad hair, Abercrombie or American Eagle clothes, perfect teeth, lots of blue ill-fitting shirts worn on Sunday... In other words the exact same fan base as BYU and Utah

Comment

Good for the Aggies! I've always liked them.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                            I thought your grew up in Utah? The rain must be getting to your brain.

White, bad hair, Abercrombie or American Eagle clothes, perfect teeth, lots of blue ill-fitting shirts worn on Sunday... In other words the exact same fan base as BYU and Utah
                            Don't forget the frosted tips!

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              I have long wondered if USU could not become a regular in the FCS playoff scene would it improve their attendance?

I know nothing about the USU student or fan base, but it seems that it would be more fun to watch a USU team that could be a very good FCS team rather than an also ran WAC/MWC team.
                              A USU/Montana rivalry would probably be very entertaining.
                              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Working...
                              X