PDA

View Full Version : Utes up to #6 in BCS...

scottie
11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3721843

scottie
11-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Full standings here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/poll?poll=BCS

It would appear that Texas will be in the Big 12 Championship game over Oklahoma, unless an OU win over OSU this Saturday is somehow enough to push them ahead of Texas (UT plays Texas A&M).

Texas v. Florida in the NCG.

Babs
11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
It would appear that Texas will be in the Big 12 Championship game over Oklahoma, unless an OU win over OSU this Saturday is somehow enough to push them ahead of Texas (UT plays Texas A&M).

Scottie, Oklahoma and Texas are in a virtual tie for second in the BCS, and it's the computers giving Texas the .007 edge. A win over #12 Oklahoma State would certainly be enough to overcome that margin. The question is whether the voters would change their vote to put Texas in the game.

I'm curious if anyone can explain how Utah dropped in the computer rankings after defeating BYU? Did all your previous opponents lose this week? I don't get it.

scottie
11-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Scottie, Oklahoma and Texas are in a virtual tie for second in the BCS, and it's the computers giving Texas the .007 edge. A win over #12 Oklahoma State would certainly be enough to overcome that margin. The question is whether the voters would change their vote to put Texas in the game.

I'm curious if anyone can explain how Utah dropped in the computer rankings after defeating BYU? Did all your previous opponents lose this week? I don't get it.

If OU can run up the score against OSU, they will and THEN some.

Babs
11-23-2008, 07:27 PM
If OU can run up the score against OSU, they will and THEN some.

If the same team from yesterday shows up in Stillwater, the Cowboys won't stand a chance. But if is the operative word there.
-
Regarding my question about the Utes, I think it must be because Michigan lost so badly yesterday. That's all I can figure.

Fiyero
11-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Oklahoma moved from 6th to 3rd. Whipping #2 by 44 jumped them over Florida too.

Babs
11-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Oklahoma moved from 6th to 3rd. Whipping #2 by 44 jumped them over Florida too.

Right. I knew that, but somehow I misread the chart and thought Tech had fallen below to offset that, and that the Utes had gotten passed up by either USC, who had a bye, or Florida, who played Citadel.

TripletDaddy
11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Right. I knew that, but somehow I misread the chart and thought Tech had fallen below to offset that, and that the Utes had gotten passed up by either USC, who had a bye, or Florida, who played Citadel.

Plus, don't forget....SC has two more games to play. Maybe they can move up, but they need a lot of help at this point.

SeattleUte
11-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Plus, don't forget....SC has two more games to play. Maybe they can move up, but they need a lot of help at this point.

This article says "a perfect storm" storm could put Utah in the NC game (I like Whit still being hungry, thinking that way; speaks volumes). You football experts, what's the perfect storm?

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=880466

TripletDaddy
11-23-2008, 09:30 PM
This article says "a perfect storm" storm could put Utah in the NC game (I like Whit still being hungry, thinking that way; speaks volumes). You football experts, what's the perfect storm?

Pigs fly?

Hell freezes over?

SeattleUte
11-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Pigs fly?

Hell freezes over?

Sour grapes?

Coach McGuirk
11-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Oklahoma would need to lose to Ok st. Texas would have to lose to Mizzou in the Big 12 Champ game, USC would need to lose to ND or UCLA and then Florida or Alabama against Utah in the National Championship game. This would still take huge nuts by the human voters.

TripletDaddy
11-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Sour grapes?

no, more like reading comprehension.

that was a whit quote, not a rivals quote.

no football pundit is putting a non-bcs team in the NC game.

that was well established long before this weekend.

Hey, at least I was at the game. You weren't.

TripletDaddy
11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Oklahoma would need to lose to Ok st. Texas would have to lose to Mizzou in the Big 12 Champ game, USC would need to lose to ND or UCLA and then Florida or Alabama against Utah in the National Championship game. This would still take huge nuts by the human voters.

The human element is the key, not the losses.

Those teams could still lose, but if pollsters don't drop them far enough, then it won't matter.

SeattleUte
11-23-2008, 09:36 PM
no, more like reading comprehension.

Mr. Reading Comprehension:

Rivals:

"Maybe, just maybe, Utah will wiggle its way into the BCS championship game."

(Note the third-person POV?)

TripletDaddy
11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Mr. Reading Comprehension:

Rivals:

"Maybe, just maybe, Utah will wiggle its way into the BCS championship game."

(Note the third-person POV?)

your quote was the perfect storm quote.

SeattleUte
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Thanks.

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 04:56 AM

Thats wrong...

If OK loses to OKST then Tex tech would be in the big 12 championship game because there wouldnt be a 3 way tie and tech would have the tiebraker with texas because they beat them.

Here is the scenario:

OK loses to OKst or Mizzou in big 12 champ game (If they beat OKST they will move ahead of texas and be in the big 12 champ game)

Texas Loses to TexAM

USC Loses to ND or UCLA

Utah would then play the winner of the SEC champ game.

scottie
11-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Thats wrong...

If OK loses to OKST then Tex tech would be in the big 12 championship game because there wouldnt be a 3 way tie and tech would have the tiebraker with texas because they beat them.

Here is the scenario:

OK loses to OKst or Mizzou in big 12 champ game (If they beat OKST they will move ahead of texas and be in the big 12 champ game)

Texas Loses to TexAM

USC Loses to ND or UCLA

Utah would then play the winner of the SEC champ game.

But in that scenario there'd also be one-loss Alabama or Penn St. waiting for the #2 BCS slot.

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 07:24 AM
But in that scenario there'd also be one-loss Alabama or Penn St. waiting for the #2 BCS slot.

Utah is ahead of Penn st and neither of them have any games left.

If the other stuff happened going into the final weekend would have

1. Bama
2. Florida
3. Oklahoma
4. Utah (assuming USC lost to ND)
5. Tex Tech
6. Penn St

Now imagine Oklahoma losing to Mizzou... they would drop to 7th probably
and the SEC title game loser at least drops to 3 and you have Utah v SEC title game winner

scottie
11-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Utah is ahead of Penn st and neither of them have any games left.

If the other stuff happened going into the final weekend would have

1. Bama
2. Florida
3. Oklahoma
4. Utah (assuming USC lost to ND)
5. Tex Tech
6. Penn St

Now imagine Oklahoma losing to Mizzou... they would drop to 7th probably
and the SEC title game loser at least drops to 3 and you have Utah v SEC title game winner

Human polls make up 2/3 of the BCS standings, so Utah currently being ahead of Penn St. means nothing until the final weekend rankings are out. And I disagree that Bama would drop to 3 if they lost a close game to Florida.

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Human polls make up 2/3 of the BCS standings, so Utah currently being ahead of Penn St. means nothing until the final weekend rankings are out. And I disagree that Bama would drop to 3 if they lost a close game to Florida.

so you think the human polls would chose a rematch of the SEC title game? They tend to frown on that. As for Penn st they are behind tech and and utah I dont see them jumping over two without even playing. Tech is doubtful to jump us because then they would have team in the NC that didnt win its conference.

scottie
11-24-2008, 07:45 AM
so you think the human polls would chose a rematch of the SEC title game? They tend to frown on that. ...

What's your source for them tending to frown on that?

As for Penn st they are behind tech and and utah I dont see them jumping over two without even playing.

It's not a matter of jumping/not jumping, all it will come down to is 66.6% of who the humans think is the #2 team that weekend. Think about old Joe Paterno coaching in a NC one last time.

Tech is doubtful to jump us because then they would have team in the NC that didnt win its conference.

Check your BCS championship history.

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 08:16 AM
What's your source for them tending to frown on that?

It's not a matter of jumping/not jumping, all it will come down to is 66.6% of who the humans think is the #2 team that weekend. Think about old Joe Paterno coaching in a NC one last time.

Check your BCS championship history.

After the Nebraska in 2001 and Oklahoma in 2003 debacles (both lost in blowouts) voters wont want to go with a team that didn't win its conference in the NC game. I'm not saying it isn't possible just that its frowned upon. As for Penn st. they dont have any games left and they are behind Utah. Shouldn't the human polls already act like you said if they wanted Joe Pa in one last time?

Coach McGuirk
11-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Thats wrong...

Hmm, I thought the big 12 tie breaker was the highest ranked BCS team. I could be wrong, but that is what I thought. If I am wrong, forget having a chance.

After the Nebraska in 2001 and Oklahoma in 2003 debacles (both lost in blowouts) voters wont want to go with a team that didn't win its conference in the NC game. I'm not saying it isn't possible just that its frowned upon. As for Penn st. they dont have any games left and they are behind Utah. Shouldn't the human polls already act like you said if they wanted Joe Pa in one last time?

It is more frowned upon to take someone outside of the cartel.

scottie
11-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Hmm, I thought the big 12 tie breaker was the highest ranked BCS team. I could be wrong, but that is what I thought. If I am wrong, forget having a chance.

In MRD's scenario there would no longer be a 3-way tie due to OU losing to OSU.

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Its the tiebraker if there is a 3 way tie. If there is a two way tie its the head to head matchup

It is more frowned upon to take someone outside of the cartel.

possibly...

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 09:53 AM

I will always believe that the BCS will do anything and everything they can to keep non-BCS schools out of the picture, including manipulating the data as it is fed into the computers. This season, the MWC is better than the ACC, Big East and the PAC-10, yet the Utes drop in the computer rankings.

BTW, your Sooners must have been doing something right. I didn't see any of your game, but that final score really caught me off guard. Wow.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 10:04 AM
This season, the MWC is better than the ACC, Big East and the PAC-10, yet the Utes drop in the computer rankings.

Speaking of which, why didnt mercutio4ever post the BCS rankings yesterday? He is usually pretty good about stuff like that.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Speaking of which, why didnt mercutio4ever post the BCS rankings yesterday? He is usually pretty good about stuff like that.

Not sure, but here are the rankings:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings?week=6

Fiyero
11-24-2008, 10:44 AM
I have a request for this community, please stop quoting posts from Elder David O. Blood of Latham and Watkins in Los Angeles. The purpose having him on ignore is to greatly reduce the hijacking drivel, the time-consuming blathering, and the frequent insecure swipes at others. Thanks.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I have a request for this community, please stop quoting posts from Elder David O. Blood of Latham and Watkins in Los Angeles. The purpose having him on ignore is to greatly reduce the hijacking drivel, the time-consuming blathering, and the frequent insecure swipes at others. Thanks.

At least he isn't posting my wife's name, anymore.

UtahDan
11-24-2008, 11:11 AM
At least he isn't posting my wife's name, anymore.

What did you do to get Ute4ever so fired up?

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 11:14 AM
What did you do to get Ute4ever so fired up?

Frankly, I am not sure. I have grown used to his Sunday BCS rankings posts. Almost every Sunday like clockwork he posts the rankings.

Yesterday, for some reason or another, he failed to post them. I am not sure why he chose to not post them yesterday, esp after Utah clinched a BCS bid. Maybe he has a reason, but I don't really know what it would be.

Babs
11-24-2008, 11:57 AM
BTW, your Sooners must have been doing something right. I didn't see any of your game, but that final score really caught me off guard. Wow.

The score didn't tell the half of it. It was 28-0 after the first. The Sooners haven't played like that -- and I don't mean execution, because there were still plenty of mistakes -- but they haven't played with that kind of passion and purpose in eight years. It's been way too long since we saw the kids actually enjoy playing the game. If that team continues to show up, it could take anybody in the country.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 12:00 PM
The score didn't tell the half of it. It was 28-0 after the first. The Sooners haven't played like that -- and I don't mean execution, because there were still plenty of mistakes -- but they haven't played with that kind of passion and purpose in eight years. It's been way too long since we saw the kids actually enjoy playing the game. If that team continues to show up, it could take anybody in the country.

that team on Saturday proved to be the best in the country, period.

Florida punching The Citadel in the face at home isn't very inspiring.

Babs
11-24-2008, 12:11 PM
that team on Saturday proved to be the best in the country, period.

Florida punching The Citadel in the face at home isn't very inspiring.

Until Oklahoma allowed the pity touchdown as the last seconds expired, OU's MOV over Tech was the same as Florida's over Citadel.

I'll be awfully disappointed if Bradford doesn't win the Heisman. He's been flawless all year. Assuming Oklahoma defeats Oklahoma State (not a given), the only loss was due to injuries on defense and an embarrassing failure to execute on special teams, not due to a bad day on Sam's part.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Until Oklahoma allowed the pity touchdown as the last seconds expired, OU's MOV over Tech was the same as Florida's over Citadel.

I'll be awfully disappointed if Bradford doesn't win the Heisman. He's been flawless all year. Assuming Oklahoma defeats Oklahoma State (not a given), the only loss was due to injuries on defense and an embarrassing failure to execute on special teams, not due to a bad day on Sam's part.

The most amazing thing (and you can thank the BCS for this) is that right now with their being a 3 way tie in the Big 12 if Oklahoma wins they will be the highest ranked BCS team, go to the Big 12 title game and if they win they will play in the NC. Which would put Texas as the other Big 12 team in the BCS. Texas Tech is left out.

If Oklahoma loses, then it becomes a two way tie and Texas Tech holds the tie breaker over Texas, so they go to the Big 12 title game with a chance to play in the NC.

They can go from getting left out of the BCS completely, to playing in the NC game based on what someone else does.

Babs
11-24-2008, 12:34 PM
The most amazing thing (and you can thank the BCS for this) is that right now with their being a 3 way tie in the Big 12 if Oklahoma wins they will be the highest ranked BCS team, go to the Big 12 title game and if they win they will play in the NC. Which would put Texas as the other Big 12 team in the BCS. Texas Tech is left out.

If Oklahoma loses, then it becomes a two way tie and Texas Tech holds the tie breaker over Texas, so they go to the Big 12 title game with a chance to play in the NC.

They can go from getting left out of the BCS completely, to playing in the NC game based on what someone else does.

I know. I hate the Big 12 title game. So pesky. I would have loved to have seen Missouri play for the natl title last year, but they were in the unfortunate position of having to play Oklahoma a second time.

But I've gotta say that after last Saturday's performance I would not want Tech representing the Big 12 in the national title game. I can't envision any way that would end well.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I know. I hate the Big 12 title game. So pesky. I would have loved to have seen Missouri play for the natl title last year, but they were in the unfortunate position of having to play Oklahoma a second time.

But I've gotta say that after last Saturday's performance I would not want Tech representing the Big 12 in the national title game. I can't envision any way that would end well.

While I think the Klaihoms will win, that OK State game is not going to be easy. And neither will the Mizzou game. Florida/Alabama, as well.

The PAC and the Big 10 should be thanking their lucky stars that the other conferences haven't forced them to play a championship game yet.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 12:47 PM
While I think the Klaihoms will win, that OK State game is not going to be easy. And neither will the Mizzou game. Florida/Alabama, as well.

The PAC and the Big 10 should be thanking their lucky stars that the other conferences haven't forced them to play a championship game yet.

A rematch of USC vs Oregon State? If USC had the chance to avenge that loss they would have a chance to play for the NC.

Rematch of Penn State vs Ohio State. Yuck!

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 12:51 PM
A rematch of USC vs Oregon State? If USC had the chance to avenge that loss they would have a chance to play for the NC.

Rematch of Penn State vs Ohio State. Yuck!

This year it would work out that way.

However, with a championship game, the conferences would be alligned differently by divisions, so we wouldn't necessarily be seeing an OSU/SC rematch or a PSU/OSU rematch.

come to think of it, most conf expansion scenarios for the PAC do have the Oregon and Washington schools in a North division, with the CA schools in the South division. So maybe OSU and SC would play each other in the conf championship....but then it would be likely that they did not play each other in the regular season.

SC is in an interesting position, having the fucla game on Dec 6, one week after pretty much everyone else is done. Depending on what happens next week, SC could still weasel its way into this on the final day of the regular season......

Babs
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM

I only begrudge the PAC10 and Big Ten their lack of championship game in years when our game is a rematch of two teams that have already played, like it was last year. This year the Big 12 championship will be between Missouri and either Oklahoma or Tech, neither of whom have played Missouri this year.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I only begrudge the PAC10 and Big Ten their lack of championship game in years when our game is a rematch of two teams that have already played, like it was last year. This year the Big 12 championship will be between Missouri and either Oklahoma or Tech, neither of whom have played Missouri this year.

On the off chance the Utes should "wiggle into" the NC game (to quote Rivals), I wonder if they will be more competitive that Oklahoma has been since Switzer.

Babs
11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
On the off chance the Utes should "wiggle into" the NC game (to quote Rivals), I wonder if they will be more competitive that Oklahoma has been since Switzer.

Nice try, Seattle, but you really need to know more about college football in order to smackdown properly.

Oklahoma's the winningest football program in the country since Stoops came. We've won only one BCS title in that time, but then only LSU has won two.

ERCougar
11-24-2008, 01:51 PM

Can I just refer you to my post Texas/OU game post where I still thought OU was the best team in the country and everyone (but you, Babs) thought I was an idiot?

Babs
11-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Can I just refer you to my post Texas/OU game post where I still thought OU was the best team in the country and everyone (but you, Babs) thought I was an idiot?

Sure! Normally I don't approve of "I told you so" posting (unless it's by me, of course), but in this case I'll make an excception.

Jeff Lebowski
11-24-2008, 02:11 PM

Boo!

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Wait, I didnt think that was because of your take on the Texas/OU game...

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 02:20 PM

How does Utah wiggle in to the NC game? The only way I can think of that happening is if Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Florida, and USC all reenact the movie "We Are Marshall" on the way to their upcoming games. That would leave Utah vs Alabama in the NC game.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 02:24 PM
How does Utah wiggle in to the NC game? The only way I can think of that happening is if Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Florida, and USC all reenact the movie "We Are Marshall" on the way to their upcoming games. That would leave Utah vs Alabama in the NC game.

Somebody explained it above. Rivals said it, not me or Whit.