• Show
Clear All

• Worst college football calls of 2010

BYU makes the list. Twice. At #1.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf-306866
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Interesting that they consider the Ute victory to be the worst blown call of the season. Obviously this shows that the media and football fans across the country consider BYU to be the real winner.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Interesting that they consider the Ute victory to be the worst blown call of the season. Obviously this shows that the media and football fans across the country consider BYU to be the real winner.
      "Bradley was clearly down with possession of the ball after making the pick..."

Open and shut. Utah 10-3*.

Wait make that - Utah 10-3**.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

You BYU fans care even less about this game now than you did 30 minutes after it ended. No small feat.
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
          You BYU fans care even less about this game now than you did 30 minutes after it ended. No small feat.
          Yet we love Jake even more. I plan to start The Official Jakephilia thread any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            Yet we love Jake even more. I plan to start The Official Jakephilia thread any day now.
            Check with his publicist, I am sure they have some good stuff to get you started.
            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
              Check with his publicist, I am sure they have some good stuff to get you started.
              ESPN was unavailable for comment.
              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

You learn something new every day.

Today I learned that the third quarter is late in the game, as this call that was in the third quarter is reported to have extended a "late touchdown drive".

Do the coaches know this? You would think more coaches would start their two minute offense sooner if they knew that the third quarter was late in the game.

Comment

The Dilugi non-fumble was much, much worse than the Bradley call. Even though I think Bradley was down, the video evidence doesn't demonstrably prove that the ball wasn't coming out before his knee came down. It's likely that it wasn't coming out, IMO, but the Ute defender's body obscures the best image.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

The SDSU call was the RIGHT call. The whistle had blown the play dead. In the past this would have barred any review. Ball dead. Offense retains ball.

There was a rule change in 2009 (8?) that allowed such calls to be reviewed in very specific circumstances (the rule and the discussion about the rule says something to the effect that the fumbled ball must bounce immediately to the hands of a defender, ie - the ball can't be loose on the ground where the whistle blowing the play dead could stop someone from diving for it. The ball has to go immediately to the defender where there is no question that the bad whistle changed the outcome of who recovered it).

The ball was clearly fumbled and the ball ended up on the ground, but BYU retains the ball because of the whistle and because the narrow circumstances to overturn it simply were not met...

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
                      The SDSU call was the RIGHT call. The whistle had blown the play dead. In the past this would have barred any review. Ball dead. Offense retains ball.

There was a rule change in 2009 (8?) that allowed such calls to be reviewed in very specific circumstances (the rule and the discussion about the rule says something to the effect that the fumbled ball must bounce immediately to the hands of a defender, ie - the ball can't be loose on the ground where the whistle blowing the play dead could stop someone from diving for it. The ball has to go immediately to the defender where there is no question that the bad whistle changed the outcome of who recovered it).

The ball was clearly fumbled and the ball ended up on the ground, but BYU retains the ball because of the whistle and because the narrow circumstances to overturn it simply were not met...
                      This is exactly what I thought at the time, but I haven't seen it mentioned much. It was clearly a fumble, but the whistle blew and the purpose of the rule, I assume, is that it takes into account that some players, having heard the whistle, wouldn't pursue the fumble and it would be unfair to award it to those who do. It's too bad the refs were hasty with the whistle, but them's the rules.... I'm open to a rebuttal, but I think this is correct.

Comment

that's my story and i'm stickin' to it.
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

The SDSU call was the RIGHT call prior to 2009 (8?). The whistle had blown the play dead. In the past this would have barred any review. Ball dead. Offense retains ball.

I fixed the first part for you. As for the second, you need to read the rulebook, which says a whistle cannot keep a play from being overturned if there is continuous action, which there clearly was in the SDSU instance. Where the ball ends up has nothing to do with it. It's all about continuous action, which the whistle can no longer supercede.

Give it up already. You benefitted once from a ref's horrible call, and got penalized for it another time. BYU hit .500 in bad replay decisions, and deserved that success rate.

Comment

From the 2009 NCAA Rules Committee, changes enacted in that year:

Dead Ball and Loose Ball
                            ARTICLE 3. Reviewable plays involving potential dead balls and loose balls include:
                            a. Loose ball by a potential passer ruled a fumble
                            1. If the ruling is forward pass, the play is reviewable only if there is clear recovery of a loose ball in the immediate continuing action following the loose ball.
                            b. Live ball not ruled dead in possession of a runner.
                            c. Live ball ruled dead in possession of a runner when the clear recovery of a loose ball occurs in the immediate continuing action following the loose ball.
                            1. If the ball is ruled dead and the replay official does not have indisputable video evidence as to which team recovers, the dead-ball ruling stands.
                            2. If the replay official rules that the ball was not dead, it belongs to the recovering team at the spot of the recovery and any advance is nullified.

There is nothing in the rulebook that says anything about what you're saying regarding the whistle or the place on the field where the ball is recovered. It's all about "immediate continuous action," of which there was plenty following the fumble. This is a textbook example of how the whistle no longer blows the play dead automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                              From the 2009 NCAA Rules Committee, changes enacted in that year:

Dead Ball and Loose Ball
                              ARTICLE 3. Reviewable plays involving potential dead balls and loose balls include:
                              a. Loose ball by a potential passer ruled a fumble
                              1. If the ruling is forward pass, the play is reviewable only if there is clear recovery of a loose ball in the immediate continuing action following the loose ball.
                              b. Live ball not ruled dead in possession of a runner.
                              c. Live ball ruled dead in possession of a runner when the clear recovery of a loose ball occurs in the immediate continuing action following the loose ball.
                              1. If the ball is ruled dead and the replay official does not have indisputable video evidence as to which team recovers, the dead-ball ruling stands.
                              2. If the replay official rules that the ball was not dead, it belongs to the recovering team at the spot of the recovery and any advance is nullified.

There is nothing in the rulebook that says anything about what you're saying regarding the whistle or the place on the field where the ball is recovered. It's all about "immediate continuous action," of which there was plenty following the fumble. This is a textbook example of how the whistle no longer blows the play dead automatically.
                              I went back and looked at the video, hoping from a BYU fan's perspective that there wasn't "immediate continuous action," i.e., that one or more players had given up on the play. Sadly, I didn't see it, and in view of the rule I now conclude the replay ref screwed up. But because (a) I don't care much for the new rule, and (b) any call that goes BYU's way is ultimately good and right, I'm willing to accept the erroneous result.

Comment

Working...
                              X