¿Cuánto tiempo tenemos que esperar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¿Cuánto tiempo tenemos que esperar?

Para que Nuestro Padre Celestial nos dé un apóstol hispano. Ya que una gran cantidad de la membresía de la iglesia se encuentra fuera de los Estados Unidos, por qué seguimos esperando a un Élder de América Latina. No importa si fuera de Brasil o de España o aún de Cabo Verde, que por lo menos sea uno que tenga por los menos, una gotita de sangre precolumbina o africana corriendo a través de las venas.

Quanto tempo temos que esperar até Nosso Pai Celestial nos dê um apóstolo hispânico? Agora um grande número de membros da igreja está localizado fora dos Estados Unidos, porque nós ainda estamos esperando um Elder da América Latina. Não importa se ele foi da Espanha ou do Brasil ou do Cabo Verde, que pelo menos é um que tenha uma gota de sangue Africano ou precolumbina pulsando nas suas veinas.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Probably not this session. Affirmative action does not seem to factor in the evaluation of potential candidates.

Given that members of the quorum have usually been faithful members for fifty or so years, you can usually count on the composition of the quorum to be several decades at least behind the general demographics of the church.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

How long do we have to wait until Our Heavenly Father gives us a Hispanic Apostle? With a large portion of Church membership now living outside the United States, we would appreciate an Elder with at least a drop of Pre-Columbian or African blood coursing through his veins.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Probably not this session. Affirmative action does not seem to factor in the evaluation of potential candidates.

Given that members of the quorum have usually been faithful members for fifty or so years, you can usually count on the composition of the quorum to be several decades at least behind the general demographics of the church.
        Yeah, I know.....the best man should get the job, and does......

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          I don't know all of the details, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if some very human factors came into play when it comes to stuff like this. Things like who you know, who you have worked with or built a solid relationship of trust . . . All things which tend to discourage branching out.

I believe there is a divine element too, but the church has always been a joint venture between God and man. It shouldn't surprise if mortal fingerprints have left smudges on the blueprints of God's great plan of happiness.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

It shouldn't surprise if mortal fingerprints have left smudges on the blueprints of God's great plan of happiness.
            I agree. In fact, I think a few mortals might have even taken a big dump on the blueprints once or twice.
            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

I don't know all of the details, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if some very human factors came into play when it comes to stuff like this. Things like who you know, who you have worked with or built a solid relationship of trust . . . All things which tend to discourage branching out.

I believe there is a divine element too, but the church has always been a joint venture between God and man. It shouldn't surprise if mortal fingerprints have left smudges on the blueprints of God's great plan of happiness.
              Like a new bishopric member on a lifetime achievement scale.......is it wrong to hope a certain person DOESN'T become an Apostle?

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                I agree. In fact, I think a few mortals might have even taken a big dump on the blueprints once or twice.
                Beautiful imagery. Some mortals may have used the blueprints to wipe, also, which you neglected to mention.

Comment

Wouldn't "tendremos que" be the more proper conjugation of the verb in this instance? Or is it merely the aesthetic difference between asking "How long do we have to wait" and "How long will we have to wait?" I'm not being pithy--legit question. If neither is more correct than the other, then I prefer the stylistics of the latter.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I don't agree. The best men or best members of the church are not necessarily the apostles/prophets. Of course they can be but generally I don't think this is the case.

I suppose maybe you meant the person that best fits right now.

Comment

With apology to Golden Kimball, he apostles are called by the three "tions": revelation, inspiration, and relation. Of the three, the third has the most influence.

Comment

Para que Nuestro Padre Celestial nos dé un apóstol hispano. Ya que una gran cantidad de la membresía de la iglesia se encuentra fuera de los Estados Unidos, por qué seguimos esperando a un Élder de América Latina. No importa si fuera de Brasil o de España o aún de Cabo Verde, que por lo menos sea uno que tenga por los menos, una gotita de sangre precolumbina o africana corriendo a través de las venas.

Quanto tempo temos que esperar até Nosso Pai Celestial nos dê um apóstolo hispânico? Agora um grande número de membros da igreja está localizado fora dos Estados Unidos, porque nós ainda estamos esperando um Elder da América Latina. Não importa se ele foi da Espanha ou do Brasil ou do Cabo Verde, que pelo menos é um que tenha uma gota de sangue Africano ou precolumbina pulsando nas suas veinas.
                        I think it would be funny if the priesthood and quorum was all of a sudden opened to women...and everyone discovers it as they call Julie Beck into the quorum.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Wouldn't "tendremos que" be the more proper conjugation of the verb in this instance? Or is it merely the aesthetic difference between asking "How long do we have to wait" and "How long will we have to wait?" I'm not being pithy--legit question. If neither is more correct than the other, then I prefer the stylistics of the latter.
                          Donut,

The future tense in Spanish is used in a limited way, more of a commitment locking-down type tense than in English. Missionaries like the future tense because they use it so much....so much in fact that they think it has the same usage as in English. "Si Ud. sabe que la iglesia es vedadera, ¿se bautizará el 3 de abril a las 4PM en la capilla? I've never taught the future tense in any 100 or 200-level class, because it's simply not used in common speech.

The difference between "Tenemos que" and "Tendremos que" in this example could be translated as follows:

"tenemos que esperar" How long must we wait? (implies that we don't like waiting)?

"tendremos que esperar" How long will we be waiting (that we have to wait is assumed and accepted)?

So, superficially, the difference is one of stylistics, but when you look at the more nuanced meanings, I think "tenemos que" better relates what I was trying to communicate. Your "tendremos" gets the same message across, but the tacit meanings are very very different.

I hope that clarifies the word choice for you. If you have more questions, I LOVE teaching language.

Comment

Originally posted by BYUHoopster View Post

I suppose maybe you meant the person that best fits right now.
                            This is what I meant.

Comment

Donut,

The future tense in Spanish is used in a limited way, more of a commitment locking-down type tense than in English. Missionaries like the future tense because they use it so much....so much in fact that they think it has the same usage as in English. "Si Ud. sabe que la iglesia es vedadera, ¿se bautizará el 3 de abril a las 4PM en la capilla? I've never taught the future tense in any 100 or 200-level class, because it's simply not used in common speech.

The difference between "Tenemos que" and "Tendremos que" in this example could be translated as follows:

"tenemos que esperar" How long must we wait? (implies that we don't like waiting)?

"tendremos que esperar" How long will we be waiting (that we have to wait is assumed and accepted)?

So, superficially, the difference is one of stylistics, but when you look at the more nuanced meanings, I think "tenemos que" better relates what I was trying to communicate. Your "tendremos" gets the same message across, but the tacit meanings are very very different.

I hope that clarifies the word choice for you. If you have more questions, I LOVE teaching language.
                              I love perfecting my Spanish, so I intend to ask more questions in the future. Thanks for the explanation.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                              X