Oxford Mississippi vs Austin Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxford Mississippi vs Austin Texas

So I had my first real encounter with the true South this year. Yeah my brother has lived in Georgia for years and when my nieces were little they had funny accents until I mocked them mercilessly for it.

But TRUE South.... one of my best (non-LDS) friends got married in August and in July we had a five day bachelor extravaganza in New Orleans. I was the designated driver. And being men of learning or at least men who pretend to be men of learning we decided to not just hang in NOLA but to get out into some swamps and into some serious Brett Favre - relating, junk-texting, Wrangler-wearing Louisana territory. We saw all we needed.

Now comes the first two games of next year. One in Oxford Miss, the other in Austin Tex. I've been to Austin. I know it's awesome. But if I'm going to take one football road trip next year do I make my first to Oxford (distant relation to the original for which I am christened 'Oxcoug') or do I make another trip to the trendy destination where they host SXSW?

I'm leaning Ole Miss.

Flying from SLC to Baltimore last week I sat next to a journalist / rabid sports fan who raved about the Ole Miss game day experience. Of course his criteria is slightly different than mine - he was impressed (OK - he thought it was A W E S O M E) that people had open alcoholic drinks in the Ole Miss bookstore about five hours before game time.

He was also impressed by the huge numbers of debutantes in sundresses.

And he said that the tailgating experience of 'The Grove' is pure joyful insanity.

All of this having been said - I figure if I can throw in a Memphis visit to Graceland in the deal I'll get my money's worth.

And for those of you facing a similar choice - where you leaning?
    Last edited by oxcoug; 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

There is no crisis in my life.

I'm going to both.

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      There is no crisis in my life.

I'm going to both.

Bastard.

I've thought about doing this. I've even though about taking a week off, flying to Memphis, renting a car and making an epic southern road trip out of the thing.

But I haven't taken a week off since 2006 and I'm not sure I'm going to start now (unless we've been acquired, then... all bets are off, I'll be driving and eating my way through the south).

But making two trips, two flights.... I guess I could. Just seems excessive. In other words, it seems like something for a Pissy Little Doggie to do.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

both.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
          both.

Bastards.
          Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

three words: party. at. babs'.

Comment

Given I live within driving distance... both for me. Also, add LA Tech.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                Bastards.
                use some of those miles and you could probably put all of cuf up in suites. you can be the cuf travel agent/facilitator.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post

This reminds me of that Bud Light ad that's running way too frequently right now - where the hot alien women come and say they need men to "shmavlicate" and the men leave for the good of humanity and the women do that thing where they foreshadow partying by raising both hands in the air and screaming.

So I guess women really do get excited when the men leave, eh?

BTW Babs - I should probably just come out and admit that for a long time I thought you were SoonerCougar's lady. Not sure why. Got it all sorted now, though.
                  Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

Comment

I'm dying to go to the game at Austin, but alas, tax season will once again ruin the front-end of football season.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Bastard.

I've thought about doing this. I've even though about taking a week off, flying to Memphis, renting a car and making an epic southern road trip out of the thing.

But I haven't taken a week off since 2006 and I'm not sure I'm going to start now (unless we've been acquired, then... all bets are off, I'll be driving and eating my way through the south).

But making two trips, two flights.... I guess I could. Just seems excessive. In other words, it seems like something for a Pissy Little Doggie to do.
                      You will wake up in 30 years and realize one of two things:

1. I had a great time and great memories from those two road trips 30 years ago...met a lot of cool people, sat in some historic venues, saw some big time college football, participated in some of the most hallowed college football traditions.
                      2. I know I worked a lot 30 years ago but I dont really remember anything about that particular 7 day stretch.

The choice is yours, amigo.

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

BTW Babs - I should probably just come out and admit that for a long time I thought you were SoonerCougar's lady. Not sure why. Got it all sorted now, though.
                        Interesting. It is my understanding that there is now both a SoonerCougar and a SoonerCoug now. I don't know who SC-er is. SC was a coworker of mine and introduced me to CB back in 2006 when we were bored at work. His wife is SoonerUte. My husband is FlashGordon, although Flash really only ever showed up here once to kick Junkie's ass when he tried to flirt.

Comment

I'm thinking of going to Dallas for opening weekend next year. Not just for the Oregon/LSU game in Jerry World, but also to be able water ski and golf in the same day.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            I'm thinking of going to Dallas for opening weekend next year. Not just for the Oregon/LSU game in Jerry World, but also to be able water ski and golf in the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              disapointment. disapointment. disapointment!
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X