In which I agonize over the Michigan coaching situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I agonize over the Michigan coaching situation

RichRod has been a huge disappointment, obviously. As I've expressed, however, I think he's good enough on offense to be given another year on the condition that he hire a new DC with autonomy to pick his own staff and run his own D.

On the other hand, Harbaugh would be a huge get. He runs a Michigan-style offense, is much more familiar with the Michigan traditions, would be loved by the boosters, and would likely consider it a lifetime job. Rumors are all over the place, with some pundits this morning saying he hasn't been offered the job and won't be, and others saying he wouldn't accept it even if he is offered it, preferring the NFL. It seems he might even stay at Stanford if he doesn't like any NFL offers.

The 2nd choice is almost unanimously Brady Hoke, but this seems like a terrible idea. He has all the negatives of Harbaugh (runs a system that would cause current players/recruits to run for the hills, would take a few years to produce a great product like any other coaching change), with few of the positives (he's a Michigan man, but doesn't have the recognition or proven track-record).

It seems to me that If Harbaugh doesn't happen, Gary Patterson needs to. That would be a very smooth transition for the offense, it seems to me, and would very likely produce a much better defense. Nobody outside a couple national pundits ever even bring it up, though. Nobody in the fanbase seems aware of him at all. Weird.

While Fitzgerald at Northwestern has been tossed around for similar reasons, I would put keeping RichRod as my 3rd favorite option, with Brady Hoke being 5th after some other, previously unconsidered coordinator or possibly Les Miles if it comes to that (don't like him, but at least he wins).

Dave Brandon, the Michigan AD, may have really screwed this one up. He keeps talking like he hasn't even contacted anyone yet and is still "evaluating" RichRod. If that's true, he ought to be another casualty of this debacle. Unless Harbaugh's thoughts have been completely misread, missing on him would be a sign of extreme incompetence. Harbaugh grew up in Ann Arbor, set records at Michigan, wanted desperately to be the QB coach at Michigan in 2002, continues to love the city and the program, and would be offered top-5 money.

It might take another few days for this all to play out, but I expect to hear some pretty strong hints today.

Well they are still recruiting as the safeties coach adam braithwait sat next to me flying to new jersey today

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I view Harbaugh much like I view Bronco...I think they're both very well suited for their current positions, but don't have a lot of confidence that they'd be as effective at another school.

BM is able to focus in on BYU's unique religious atmosphere and extract the most he can out of his kids. It's a culture he understands and participates in. For Harbaugh, I think it's a little different. He is apparently an extremely charismatic guy. He is able to get his kids (all bright and athletic) to buy into his charisma and program. I'm not sure (though I don't rule out) that his style will work at Michigan, or at least, it won't work out as well.

If I'm Harbaugh, I take my 3 million a year and stay put in Palo Alto.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Dont have any opinion on RichRod, tho I am surprised he's still there.

I just wanted to say that I loved your thread title.

Comment

It seems that DB and RR are meeting this afternoon, and the rumor is that RR is meeting with his players at 7 tonight to announce whether he's staying.

If he's released without a very good replacement being in the bag, I'll be pissed. The last thing this recruiting class needs is a long HC search.

Comment

On the bright side, those long midwestern winter nights are getting shorter. Stay warm, woot.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

What about Coach Eric Taylor? (EDIT: No spoilers please, I've just started watching season 3).

Comment

I agree that getting Harbaugh is now or never for Michigan. I heard on College Sports radio XM 143 this morning that Harbaugh strongly dislikes the current Michigan AD and that alone would keep him from taking the job.

I think the issue with Harbaugh and Hoke are the same though. Both will take 2-3 years to bring in players that run their system and you are almost sure to lose Denard.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Nebraska is having the same problem except on the opposite side (offense). Before Bo Pelini took over, the offense under Bill Callahan was good but the defense was poor (as in record setting poor). Now the defense is back to Top-10 quality but the offense is struggling. Maybe between the two programs they will have a championship caliber team: Nebraska's defense and Michigan's offense. Will be interesting when they play on 11/19/2011 in Ann Arbor.

I think RichRod will get things working if coaching changes are made on defense. A concern I would have is if RichRod hires a new DC and gets results but that still doesn't save him. Nebraska did something similar after the 2003 season. Bo Pelini was hired as DC prior to the 03 season and turned the defense around. But it still didn't save Frank Solich's job despite a 9-3 record. Then Nebraska endured 4 years under Bill Callahan with 2 losing seasons and one bowl victory over...Michigan.

Unless Harbaugh has a change of heart, I don't see Michigan improving their situation by firing Rodriguez.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    I agree that getting Harbaugh is now or never for Michigan. I heard on College Sports radio XM 143 this morning that Harbaugh strongly dislikes the current Michigan AD and that alone would keep him from taking the job.

I think the issue with Harbaugh and Hoke are the same though. Both will take 2-3 years to bring in players that run their system and you are almost sure to lose Denard.
                    Exactly if you bring in either Harbaugh or Hoke you have 4 years worth of spread type players on your offense it is going to take some time to recruit and change the philosophy.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Exactly if you bring in either Harbaugh or Hoke you have 4 years worth of spread type players on your offense it is going to take some time to recruit and change the philosophy.
                      Many of the same players could be used. The O-line would have some adjustments as far as technique and splits but most, if not all, the lineman could play either system. Same with the WR and RB positions, the routes and assignments will change but the same players can be used. That just leaves TE and FB and those are not tough positions to recruit. The biggest change is at QB. If a new coach can recruit a QB who can play early or sign a JUCO QB that fits the new system, then he should be good to go.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Some of the self-proclaimed insder Stanford fans I talk to say there is no way Harbaugh goes to michigan. They are confident they are losing him to the 49ers or, as a dark horse, Denver Broncos.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          Some of the self-proclaimed insder Stanford fans I talk to say there is no way Harbaugh goes to michigan. They are confident they are losing him to the 49ers or, as a dark horse, Denver Broncos.
                          Stanford has fans?

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post

I have a brother in law that was born in Ann Arbor and spent his first 10 years there. He is a die hard fan of the Maize and Blue. This was almost the exact thing I told him Saturday when we were watching them get beat up by Mississippi St.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              Stanford has fans?
                              I agree very strange, since people who spend a lot of time in the library don't usually like or understand football.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Working...
                              X