Heat Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Pumps

Unless you live in California or Arizona, heat pumps are a mistake. They're arguably okay in Vegas.

I live in a place that gets snow about once or maybe twice a year. I'm looking outside my window right now and there's a couple inches of snow on the ground. Rather than a gas furnace, I have a heat pump.

A heat pump is basically an air conditioner that works in reverse. In fact, the same unit that does my AC is also my heat pump.

During the summer, I have to commonly cool my house from, say, 105, outside to 75 on the inside. That's a 30 degree differential. Sometimes it will get to a 110 or even a bit hotter, but that's still about a 35 degree differential.

The winter is a different story. The average temperature at night during this time of year is in the mid 20s. It's not uncommon for it to be in the high teens at night (about as common as 110 degree days probably). If I keep the house at 72, then this represents over a 50 degree differential.

When the temperature drops below freezing, these things become incredibly inefficient. I'm not sure if this is what happens, but I imagine when it's about 18 degrees outside, my heater is essentially air blowing through a heating element (the second phase is constantly on).
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

A heat pump is a good choice when gas is not an option, or where gas is expensive. They are more efficient than electric furnaces, though more expensive. I'm not sure why you'd opt for heat pump when gas is available.

You are correct that when the exterior temp drops below a certain threshold the "emergency heat" kicks on and the unit is basically serving as a very expensive electric furnace.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
      You are correct that when the exterior temp drops below a certain threshold the "emergency heat" kicks on and the unit is basically serving as a very expensive electric furnace.
      My emergency heat strip has never been wired I ran the wire and the relay box for it but have never connected the wire in the heat pump or at the main panel in the laundry room. It has been 2 years now.
      I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
        A heat pump is a good choice when gas is not an option, or where gas is expensive. They are more efficient than electric furnaces, though more expensive. I'm not sure why you'd opt for heat pump when gas is available.

Electricity is very cheap where I live. In addition to the heat pump, I also have an electric water heater. Between 10/20/2010 and 11/20/2010, my total electric bill was $55. My gas bill for that month was about $8. My house is about 2300 square feet, so it's not enormous, but it's not like it's a townhouse with only two exterior walls.

But my highest electricity bills every year come in either December or January and not July or August. Truth be told, the additional cost of running the heat pump in December and January above what a gas furnace would cost to run simply doesn't add up to what it would have cost to put a gas furnace in the place instead of the AC-Heat Pump combo.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Every time I see this title I think it's a resurrection of KL's hot pumps thread, but sadly that's still not the case.

Comment

Working...
          X