All-time non-AQ BCS qualifier rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-time non-AQ BCS qualifier rankings

1) 2008 Utah. The grandaddy of them all. The Utes complete their evolution to AQ specie on top of the non-AQ heap in this exclusive ranking. This Utah team was most impressive in its bowl, trouncing 11-1 Nick Saban coached Alabama in the SUG, Alabma's back yard, and played the toughest regular season schedule of the non-AQ BCS qualifiers.

2) 2010 TCU. Won the Rose Bowl by the skin of its teeth and with a statistical deficit against a workmanlike Wisconsin team that was 11-1 in a down year for the Big 10.

3) 2004 Utah; the pioneer. Annihilated everybody. Alex Smith, Urban Meyer, that defense, etc. But 2010 TCU gets the narrow nod here because we've learned to question the value of beating crappy teams, regardless of MOV, and this Ute team never played a truly worthy opponent.

4) 2009 Boise. Didn't really beat anybody great unless you count its close Fiesta Bowl win over TCU. Oregon in game 1 on the blue field its only regular season win of any moment at all.

5) 2005 Boise. Beat a down year Oklahoma team on a thrilling and memorable OT flea flicker.

6) 2009 TCU. Lost.

7) 2007 Hawaii. Lost.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

You're supposed to list them in reverse order. You know, to build suspense.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Geeze, the game isn't even three hours old. You feeling that insecure about the Utes place in the BCS Bowl buster lore?

Comment

I think you've outdone yourself with this one.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I don't really care about accomplishments if you're not in the BCS title game.

Ranking not in terms of accomplishments, but in terms of how good the teams were:

1. TCU 2010
          2. Boise State 2010
          3. Boise State 2009
          4. TCU 2009
          5. Utah with Urban Meyer

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

Ranking not in terms of accomplishments, but in terms of how good the teams were:

1. TCU 2010
            2. Boise State 2010
            3. Boise State 2009
            4. TCU 2009
            5. Utah with Urban Meyer
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

TCU won the grandaddy of them all. The original and most prestigious bowl game. I really respect what TCU was able to do this year, building off the foundation BYU laid for all mid majors when it won the national championship in 1984 and later when it's New Years Day victory in the Cotton Bowl gave birth to the BCS.

TCU is legit and should be recognized as such. They are definitely worthy to carry the torch BYU lit back in 1984.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Weak.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Weak.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

1. TCU 2010
                    2. Boise State 2010
                    3. Boise State 2009
                    4. TCU 2009
                    5. Utah with Urban Meyer
                    I still think that Boise State this year is better than TCU this year.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

How anyone can say Utah 08 is better than TCU 2010 or even Utah 2004 is beyond me. Having a better win does not automatically mean they are a better team. Utah 2008 struggled with many of the teams they played. Utah 2004 did not. TCU 2010 had what 1 close game during the regular season?

Utah 2008 is probably not even the 2nd best of all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                        How anyone can say Utah 08 is better than TCU 2010 or even Utah 2004 is beyond me. Having a better win does not automatically mean they are a better team. Utah 2008 struggled with many of the teams they played. Utah 2004 did not. TCU 2010 had what 1 close game during the regular season?

Utah 2008 is probably not even the 2nd best of all of them.
                        I think TCU 2010 may be the best team to come out of the MWC, ever. But we'll never know, because the 2004 Utah team was pretty dominating and never got a chance to show what they could do. If they had gotten to play Auburn in the 2005 Fiesta and had won, this would be a really interesting debate.
                        ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          TCU won the grandaddy of them all. The original and most prestigious bowl game. I really respect what TCU was able to do this year, building off the foundation BYU laid for all mid majors when it won the national championship in 1984 and later when it's New Years Day victory in the Cotton Bowl gave birth to the BCS.

TCU is legit and should be recognized as such. They are definitely worthy to carry the torch BYU lit back in 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                            I think TCU 2010 may be the best team to come out of the MWC, ever. But we'll never know, because the 2004 Utah team was pretty dominating and never got a chance to show what they could do. If they had gotten to play Auburn in the 2005 Fiesta and had won, this would be a really interesting debate.
                            I agree with this. I know everyone speculates about 2004 Utah and how good they really were. But I think you Utes should count your lucky stars they got Pitt and a crappy schedule. Suppose they had run into a decent opponent and lost, the entire arc that has led Utah to where they are now could be radically different.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I agree with this. I know everyone speculates about 2004 Utah and how good they really were. But I think you Utes should count your lucky stars they got Pitt and a crappy schedule. Suppose they had run into a decent opponent and lost, the entire arc that has led Utah to where they are now could be radically different.
                              ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                              X