PDA

View Full Version : Max Hall is not the MWC POY

mpfunk
11-23-2008, 09:20 AM
and neither is Brian Johnson. The MWC POY should be Austin Collie. He was the best player on the field last night and there really isn't even a debate about it. Ute fans may hate him, and I do hate the cocky SOB, but he is the best receiver this rivalry has seen since Steve Smith.

I don't think Collie will win it, but he deserves it.

Cougar Hunter
11-23-2008, 09:29 AM
He'll make a fine living in the CFL.

OrangeUte
11-23-2008, 09:50 AM
I agree that collie is a great receiver, but this year his performance is overshadowed by brian johnson's. BJ was clutch on many occassions and led his team to 12-0 and the BCS. Despite collie'sgreat numbers, and getting essentially stopped by shawn smith and Stanford from making any big plays last night, he loses out to BJ.

cougjunkie
11-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I agree that collie is a great receiver, but this year his performance is overshadowed by brian johnson's. BJ was clutch on many occassions and led his team to 12-0 and the BCS. Despite collie'sgreat numbers, and getting essentially stopped by shawn smith and Stanford from making any big plays last night, he loses out to BJ.

I actually still dont think BJ is even first team MWC. In fact I would be surprised if Utah had any skill players on the first team. They are to balanced.

UtahDan
11-23-2008, 09:53 AM
and neither is Brian Johnson. The MWC POY should be Austin Collie. He was the best player on the field last night and there really isn't even a debate about it. Ute fans may hate him, and I do hate the cocky SOB, but he is the best receiver this rivalry has seen since Steve Smith.

I agree.

mpfunk
11-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I actually still dont think BJ is even first team MWC. In fact I would be surprised if Utah had any skill players on the first team. They are to balanced.

You know the voters are going to have a short memory on this one. They are going to remember Halls 6 TOs in the last game and compare it to BJs performance. I think BJ gets first team, whether or not he deserves it.

BJ is the Utes best shot at getting a skill position player on the first team, if he doesn't make it probably no one does. However, the Utes should have multiple first team players on defense: Kruger and Sean Smith are locks.

SteelBlue
11-23-2008, 01:53 PM
He'll make a fine living in the CFL.

What's your point? He'd be the best player on Utah's team as well.

All-American
11-23-2008, 02:00 PM

He has no point. He often has no point. That's part of his charm.

LA Ute
11-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Collie is a great player. (Seems a little skinny for the NFL, though.) But does the POY award go solely for individual performance? I just don't know, and the MWC web site is not helpful.

As for BJ, he did not dominate the league the way it seems a POY should. I do think he should be the all-MWC QB. Hall's the runner-up, but after last night he can't be the top guy.

il Padrino Ute
11-23-2008, 04:25 PM

You make a great point about too much balance on the Utes offense. That doesn't bode well for all-conference honors if they don't stand out.

DrumNFeather
11-23-2008, 07:45 PM
I would give the edge to BJ simply because the MWC LOVES to give career awards for longevity. Brad Van Pelt got one and it seems several others have as well over the years. Utah could be highly rewarded for its 12-0 season with a CPOY sweep.

I'm not saying they deserve it...far from it, I'd give it to Collie or Pitta as well, but given that the MWC loves to reward guys for hanging in there, I won't at all be surprised to see Johnson walk away with the award as the first team MWC QB. Hall's 6 turnovers will also stick in voter's minds I think.

SeattleUte
11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
who cares.

Cougar Hunter
11-24-2008, 08:22 AM

My point is that he's got great hands, but he's not very fast. He could end up on and NFL roster as the 3rd option perhaps. A possession receiver to catch the underneath stuff. He doesn't have the speed to get separation in the NFL and he's not big enough or athletic enough to win the jump ball against NFL caliber corners.

I'm not tying to discount the fact that he's been great in college. He and Hall have a great thing together. Utah did a great job of limiting Collie to the short throws and taking away the long pass.

Solon
11-24-2008, 08:33 AM
My point is that he's got great hands, but he's not very fast. He could end up on and NFL roster as the 3rd option perhaps. A possession receiver to catch the underneath stuff. He doesn't have the speed to get separation in the NFL and he's not big enough or athletic enough to win the jump ball against NFL caliber corners.

I'm not tying to discount the fact that he's been great in college. He and Hall have a great thing together. Utah did a great job of limiting Collie to the short throws and taking away the long pass.

"He won't make a good pro" smack is so lame. I'm a Ute homer, so I have no special feelings in my special places for Austin Collie, but this is so lame. The kid doesn't play pro football - he's in college, and he's a hell of a player. I wish he was a Ute. It doesn't take anything away from Utah's win to acknowledge that. In fact, it makes Utah's win look better, to beat a team with good players.

Plenty of good college players don't do well in the pros. And plenty of pro players were only average college players. They're different games.

Rip on Collie for not having any more magic; rip on Hall for throwing picks all day. Rip on the BYU for being a fascist monolithic institution of academic repression. Fine by me and I'll join in.

But don't rip on good college players for what they might or might not do at the next level. That's just dumb.

woot
11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
"He won't make a good pro" smack is so lame. I'm a Ute homer, so I have no special feelings in my special places for Austin Collie, but this is so lame. The kid doesn't play pro football - he's in college, and he's a hell of a player. I wish he was a Ute. It doesn't take anything away from Utah's win to acknowledge that. In fact, it makes Utah's win look better, to beat a team with good players.

Plenty of good college players don't do well in the pros. And plenty of pro players were only average college players. They're different games.

Rip on Collie for not having any more magic; rip on Hall for throwing picks all day. Rip on the BYU for being a fascist monolithic institution of academic repression. Fine by me and I'll join in.

But don't rip on good college players for what they might or might not do at the next level. That's just dumb.

Quoted for truth. Not to mention that Collie has dropped a bunch of balls this year and is better known for his route-running and quickness than for his hands. This guy is just all wrong.

ERCougar
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Quoted for truth. Not to mention that Collie has dropped a bunch of balls this year and is better known for his route-running and quickness than for his hands. This guy is just all wrong.

The only game I remember him dropping a bunch of balls is Washington. He's been pretty consisten since then.

woot
11-24-2008, 10:50 AM
The only game I remember him dropping a bunch of balls is Washington. He's been pretty consisten since then.

I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that he's a 50/50 type guy, as he certainly has awesome hands and seems to catch the tough ones at least as often as the easy ones. I just think that the main reason he's so good is because he can get open, which is why he's been able to get 100 yards in 10 games in a row no matter how much the D keys on him. He's also deceptively fast, as demonstrated by his fly routes and ko returns. I don't know if he'll be any good in the nfl, but he's been an amazing college player.