PDA

View Full Version : My game day thoughts.......

cougjunkie
11-23-2008, 08:47 AM
First of all I scored some tickets at the last minute for 50 bucks each, listen to the all mighty DDD when says that tickets are always available.

1. I dont think I am being to much of a homer when I say that Austin Collie was the best player on the field last night. Good thing for Utah is that it takes all 11.

2. Brice Mccain would have a hard time starting for BYU, he is that bad. BYU picked on him all night long.

3. Utahs defense is fast and I thought their D-ends did a great job of trying to make that initial pass rush and when they got stuffed they dropped in to semi-coverage and batted balls.

4. Krugers pick was as good of a play call as I have seen by a D-coordinator. As soon as Harvey motioned out you could see what play was coming. Anderson dialed up a great call.

5. Utahs offense did exactly what I said they would do and believe it or not exactly what BYU wanted them to do. Dink and dunk down the field. In fact had it not been for 6 turnovers I think our D would have made just enough stops to win. However Bronco said it best: "Just because the offense turns the ball over and puts the defense inside their own 10, does not mean that we dont expect them to get a stop"

6. BJ was very accurate tonight, and that crossing pattern killed BYU. BYU even when they blitzed got zero pressure on him.

7. Give some credit to BYUs O-line, they ran block very well and they were also very good pass blocking tonight.

8. Sean Smith is a stud, big and fast exactly what you want from a corner. I could watch him and Collie go 1 on 1 for 3 hours.

9. I understand UTah punching in that last TD you have to make a statement to the BCS that is fine by me, but the fake knee and then handoff by BJ is just bad karma waiting to bite Utah in the ass.

10. Robert Anae completely abandoned the run for a quarter and a half, it made no sense at all, in fact we were down 3 and we did not run the ball on 3 straight drives that could have taken the lead.

11. The first half I did think Anae called a nice game.

12. Ute fans were a lot more respectful this year than 2 years ago, however (and DDD can attest to this as he was with us walking in) we had one guy lose his mind and start calling a friend of mine a F***ing faggot/homo about 100 times for no reason at all. He was going off. We had a few guys sitting by us that were lame as well, but nothing to awful.

13. Finally I think the better team won and that is why I am not taking this loss real hard, but I will say that game was closer than the score indicated (not that it matters) and I am so pumped for BYU hoops! 5-0 baby!

LA Ute
11-23-2008, 09:04 AM
12. Ute fans were a lot more respectful this year than 2 years ago, however (and DDD can attest to this as he was with us walking in) we had one guy lose his mind and start calling a friend of mine a F***ing faggot/homo about 100 times for no reason at all. He was going off. We had a few guys sitting by us that were lame as well, but nothing too awful.

I have no authority to apologize for Ute fans, but I'll offer one anyway. One unattractive aspect of Salt Lake City (and Utah) culture is the way some non-Mormons react to the Mormons. (Of course, there are Mormon counter-reactions too, but that's another subject.) Part of that culture is that many Ute fans (mainly the younger ones) practically worship booze and getting drunk. 95% of the ones shouting obscenities and vulgarities at the games are drunk. I know lots of Ute fans who are responsible drinkers and are embarrassed by those guys.

cougjunkie
11-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I have no authority to apologize for Ute fans, but I'll offer one anyway. One unattractive aspect of Salt Lake City (and Utah) culture is the way some non-Mormons react to the Mormons. (Of course, there are Mormon counter-reactions too, but that's another subject.) Part of that culture is that many Ute fans (mainly the younger ones) practically worship booze and getting drunk. 95% of the ones shouting obscenities and vulgarities at the games are drunk. I know lots of Ute fans who are responsible drinkers and are embarrassed by those guys.

You are correct, in fact my wife went to the bathroom and a lady came out and said to us: "Dont worry I had her back and was making sure no one messed with her" Also as we were walking back to our car we had a nice chat with a few other fans. So at least they react better to a win then a loss.

Brian
11-23-2008, 11:56 AM
The mormon culture in utah is smothering. Having lived outside of Utah for 12 years, every time I return for a visit, I'm amazed at how smothering it is. I certainly can understand the desire by some to kick back a little. Loosen people up a little with a few beers and it can get over the top.

RockyBalboa
11-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Junkie, my experience was completely different than yours.

I'd share the story here, but I'm sure the Ute fans will just counteract with..."Well there's idiots on both sides."

My brother and I stay composed and didn't talk any smack all night long and the treatment we received was the worst I've ever encountered in my life.

It started with having full cans of beer thrown at us as we were walking to the stadium on the sidewalk by the Guardsman Parking Lot towards the game...and that was just for starters. One missed hurtling by my head by just a few inches. We were inundated with an endless stream of "Fuck You's" and other creative ways to implement the F-bomb into it. People flipping us off. People even going so far as to walk down from where they were tailgating and yelling 3 inches from our face doing mock punches....threatening physical violence and asking us if our "Magic Underwear" was going to help us tonight.

We were planning on walking up to the Pirate Ship to say hi to a few Ufner's that had invited me, but after that there was no way I was going to walk through that hornets nest.

That was just for starters. It was just as bad where were sitting. One lady came and sat down next to my brother and said "I fucking hate you you motherfucking piece of shit. You're a fucking joke and I hope you fucking die and get your fucking ass kicked." My brother just kinda laughed and turned away from her.

One guy that had his very young child hoisted on his shoulders came and punched my brother in the back 3 times while yelling obscenities in his ear.

And trust me when I tell you those were only a small handful of the examples of what we encountered last night. It got to the point where it was dangerous to be in our section.

Yes it's true there are goobers on both sides of the rivalry, but no one can ever convince me the level of contempt and hatred on The U side towards BYU is matched the other way.

Even some of my U friends said they've never seen so many hammered and drunk Yewt "fans" than they did yesterday.

They lived up to their earned and deserved stereotype and then some.

One of my brothers who is a hardcore Ute fan suggest I write a letter to Chris Hill detailing the experience I had and I just laughed that notion off.

Brian
11-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Wow. that is soooo believable.

I'd share the story here, but I'm sure the Ute fans will just counteract with..."Well there's idiots on both sides."

My brother and I stay composed and didn't talk any smack all night long and the treatment we received was the worst I've ever encountered in my life.

It started with having full cans of beer thrown at us as we were walking to the stadium on the sidewalk by the Guardsman Parking Lot towards the game...and that was just for starters. One missed hurtling by my head by just a few inches. We were inundated with an endless stream of "Fuck You's" and other creative ways to implement the F-bomb into it. People flipping us off. People even going so far as to walk down from where they were tailgating and yelling 3 inches from our face doing mock punches....threatening physical violence and asking us if our "Magic Underwear" was going to help us tonight.

We were planning on walking up to the Pirate Ship to say hi to a few Ufner's that had invited me, but after that there was no way I was going to walk through that hornets nest.

That was just for starters. It was just as bad where were sitting. One lady came and sat down next to my brother and said "I fucking hate you you motherfucking piece of shit. You're a fucking joke and I hope you fucking die and get your fucking ass kicked." My brother just kinda laughed and turned away from her.

One guy that had his very young child hoisted on his shoulders came and punched my brother in the back 3 times while yelling obscenities in his ear.

And trust me when I tell you those were only a small handful of the examples of what we encountered last night. It got to the point where it was dangerous to be in our section.

Yes it's true there are goobers on both sides of the rivalry, but no one can ever convince me the level of contempt and hatred on The U side towards BYU is matched the other way.

Even some of my U friends said they've never seen so many hammered and drunk Yewt "fans" than they did yesterday.

One of my brothers who is a hardcore Ute fan suggest I write a letter to Chris Hill detailing the experience I had and I just laughed that notion off.

RockyBalboa
11-23-2008, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=Brian;4015]Wow. that is soooo believable.[/QUOTE

I didn't see that response coming.

Brian
11-23-2008, 04:15 PM

I didn't see that response coming.

CJ has a nice time, you don't. Maybe it's not them, maybe it's you.

RockyBalboa
11-23-2008, 04:22 PM
CJ has a nice time, you don't. Maybe it's not them, maybe it's you.

It wasn't us. We didn't say anything back all night long. We kept our mouths shut and never responded back to anything. Given the hostility of the environment it obviously wouldn't have been wise to ratchet things up, so we didn't.

2 years ago wasn't that bad. Even the U fans around us, save for a few, were pretty cool to us and would even pipe up and tell other U fans to shut up when they would start making asses out of themselves.

Last night was different.

It's okay and irrelevant if you don't believe me. I'm not interested in getting into a back n forth with you, as your trolling responses were and are predictable.

Have at it.

il Padrino Ute
11-23-2008, 05:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that Rocky, but let me say for the 76345473492393475498084765594735595th time, those are the assholes that only show up once every other year at a Utah football game.

I realize you understand that and can certainly understand your frustration.

Don't laugh off your brother's suggestion. Hill is not the anti-Mormon so many zoobs believe him to be. If enough folks from both sides let him know that the anti-Mormon crap has to be shut down, he'll do what he can to stop it.

One quick question: how much of a difference in your thoughts compared to 2 years ago is there based on the outcome of the game? It's a lot easier to forget the crap when your team wins.

cougjunkie
11-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Rocky,

After seeing that guy completely lose his mind, I believe you 100%. TripletDaddy was with me so he can vouch that this guy was going crazy. Also I am not sure that we passed a single Ute fan that didnt have something to say.

The good thing about me is that I am a pretty big dude so I dont get messed with to often. In fact I had a guy behind me running his mouth a lot, I turned around and said something to him and he was quiet the rest of the game.

RockyBalboa
11-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Rocky,

After seeing that guy completely lose his mind, I believe you 100%. TripletDaddy was with me so he can vouch that this guy was going crazy. Also I am not sure that we passed a single Ute fan that didnt have something to say.

The good thing about me is that I am a pretty big dude so I dont get messed with to often. In fact I had a guy behind me running his mouth a lot, I turned around and said something to him and he was quiet the rest of the game.

I'm 6'2, but not big, only 195...so how about 2 years from now we sit together at RES? :)

cougjunkie
11-23-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm 6'2, but not big, only 195...so how about 2 years from now we sit together at RES? :)

Sounds good, strength in numbers.

The funny thing is we walked to the game with about 10 of us. Everytime someone said something they picked on the smallest guy.

Mormon Red Death
11-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I believe Rocky... I spent most of the 1st half doing the same thing... except I was only doing it to old fans in wheelchairs. I would dump them over then dump beer on them and then drop fbombs in front of their 7 year olds.

obviously I kid... My family has season tickets and the people behind them are always drunk and dropping fbombs like crazy. Of course Utah is hardly alone in unruly fan behavior.

Coach McGuirk
11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
let me know and we can all hook up. I am not a small man, CJ can vouch for that. Of course 3 guys against 40,000.....

fuegote
11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
There were 4 guys in Y gear sitting about 4 rows in front of us (how they got these tickets, I don't know).

I made it a point to walk by and wish them a good game so that I could counter the complete nut jobs out there. They were nice guys.

LiveCoug
11-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Why is Rocky's story so unbelievable, Brian? Have you ever been a BYU fan at the big game in SLC? Nope, you haven't. Is it all fans? Of course not. Did what Rocky relate really happen? I sure believe it.

All-American
11-23-2008, 07:25 PM
For every loser Utah fan I encountered, there were two Utah fans apologizing.

You know what, though, the loser fans are one of the things that make a rivalry great. Are there any Utah fans out there who will even try to convince us that a small part of their joy was sticking it to the zoobs? We certainly took great pleasure in ripping out Utah's hearts two years in a row, knowing the loser fans were finally getting their comeuppance.

It's just one more reason why we fight extra hard when THEY line up against us. It's one more reason why college football is the greatest sport in the world.

RockyBalboa
11-23-2008, 07:29 PM
I need to make it clear that I expect to get some ribbing when I go to RES during the rivalry game decked in Blue BYU gear.

I expect a few things to be said here and there. It's all good.

I even expected things to be a little moreso than normal because of the stakes of last nights game, and the increased level of hatred of Yewt "fans" towards BYU in the past couple of years.

I have a very thick skin as evidenced by my not responding to anyone last night.

But even last night went beyond what I thought it would. 2 years ago when someone was getting out of line, sometimes you'd hear Ute fans calling that person and telling them to shut up. But last night it seem to be a throwing gas on the fire effect where I was. One person would say something, and instead of others telling him to quit being an ass, it seemed to embolden others around to join in. It was almost a moblike mentality.

Next year when we have a Senior QB in our stadium putting the clincher on a fantastic year by beating them in RES I don't plan on being accomodating like I have been in the past.

Garth and Fuegote have both met me and I'd think they'd know I'm not the type to start shit when I'm at a game. Fuegote has even been to a game at LES with me, and the only crap we started was calling Bucko and LiveCoug homos when they were sitting a few rows beneath us. :)

Fiyero
11-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I was ten minutes late to the game, and by then all of the elderly ladies had already been kicked over and all of the kids had already been sprayed with beer. I was pissed that nobody saved one for me.

RockyBalboa
11-23-2008, 07:33 PM
There were 4 guys in Y gear sitting about 4 rows in front of us (how they got these tickets, I don't know).

I made it a point to walk by and wish them a good game so that I could counter the complete nut jobs out there. They were nice guys.

I know how much you hate the rivalry more than anybody, which is why I wish I'd sat by you. Would've been nice to be surrounded by at least one level headed Non-Shitfaced drunk.

I think you would've been sickened at what we encountered from the minute we left our car to the minute we got back.

RockyBalboa
11-23-2008, 07:34 PM
I was ten minutes late to the game, and by then all of the elderly ladies had already been kicked over and all of the kids had already been sprayed with beer. I was pissed that nobody saved one for me.

When are you coming to town?

fuegote
11-23-2008, 08:21 PM
http://www.fuegote.com/CIMG2527.jpg

The only obnoxious thing I did was dress my family in red. I get to pick what my family wears once a year so.....

I'm a dork.

RockyBalboa
11-23-2008, 08:24 PM
http://www.fuegote.com/CIMG2527.jpg

The only obnoxious thing I did was dress my family in red. I get to pick what my family wears once a year so.....

I'm a dork.

Cute family Fuegote.

By the way, does your wife have any hot single sisters? :)

SeattleUte
11-23-2008, 09:04 PM
First of all I scored some tickets at the last minute for 50 bucks each, listen to the all mighty DDD when says that tickets are always available.

1. I dont think I am being to much of a homer when I say that Austin Collie was the best player on the field last night. Good thing for Utah is that it takes all 11.

2. Brice Mccain would have a hard time starting for BYU, he is that bad. BYU picked on him all night long.

3. Utahs defense is fast and I thought their D-ends did a great job of trying to make that initial pass rush and when they got stuffed they dropped in to semi-coverage and batted balls.

4. Krugers pick was as good of a play call as I have seen by a D-coordinator. As soon as Harvey motioned out you could see what play was coming. Anderson dialed up a great call.

5. Utahs offense did exactly what I said they would do and believe it or not exactly what BYU wanted them to do. Dink and dunk down the field. In fact had it not been for 6 turnovers I think our D would have made just enough stops to win. However Bronco said it best: "Just because the offense turns the ball over and puts the defense inside their own 10, does not mean that we dont expect them to get a stop"

6. BJ was very accurate tonight, and that crossing pattern killed BYU. BYU even when they blitzed got zero pressure on him.

7. Give some credit to BYUs O-line, they ran block very well and they were also very good pass blocking tonight.

8. Sean Smith is a stud, big and fast exactly what you want from a corner. I could watch him and Collie go 1 on 1 for 3 hours.

9. I understand UTah punching in that last TD you have to make a statement to the BCS that is fine by me, but the fake knee and then handoff by BJ is just bad karma waiting to bite Utah in the ass.

10. Robert Anae completely abandoned the run for a quarter and a half, it made no sense at all, in fact we were down 3 and we did not run the ball on 3 straight drives that could have taken the lead.

11. The first half I did think Anae called a nice game.

12. Ute fans were a lot more respectful this year than 2 years ago, however (and DDD can attest to this as he was with us walking in) we had one guy lose his mind and start calling a friend of mine a F***ing faggot/homo about 100 times for no reason at all. He was going off. We had a few guys sitting by us that were lame as well, but nothing to awful.

13. Finally I think the better team won and that is why I am not taking this loss real hard, but I will say that game was closer than the score indicated (not that it matters) and I am so pumped for BYU hoops! 5-0 baby!

Junky, nice summary. In the end you were right about it being about Utah's defense against BYU's offense. Defense won, as usual in these types of matchups. It was a tale of two secondaries. BYU's made BJ look like Tom Brady in his prime, Utah's humiliated Hall, even though he led some nice drives.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 08:58 AM
I believe Rocky... I spent most of the 1st half doing the same thing... except I was only doing it to old fans in wheelchairs. I would dump them over then dump beer on them and then drop fbombs in front of their 7 year olds.

obviously I kid... My family has season tickets and the people behind them are always drunk and dropping fbombs like crazy. Of course Utah is hardly alone in unruly fan behavior.

MRD ask Nick your brother in law about what happened to him, he was who we walked in to the game with and who was getting the worst treatment. In fact he said when they walked through the tunnel that everyone started throwing stuff at him.

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 09:43 AM
MRD ask Nick your brother in law about what happened to him, he was who we walked in to the game with and who was getting the worst treatment. In fact he said when they walked through the tunnel that everyone started throwing stuff at him.

I was at the portal (E32) where you guys were coming in. When he left people were yelling at him but it wasnt too bad. He was standing at the portal raising his hands as if to say "Let me have it"

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I was at the portal (E32) where you guys were coming in. When he left people were yelling at him but it wasnt too bad. He was standing at the portal raising his hands as if to say "Let me have it"

To read BYU fans' reports, going into Ute stadium was like entering one of those steel cage matches. I think that's the whole point; to generate this kind of absurd outrage. The truth is 99% of Ute fans are pretty milquetoast.

ERCougar
11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
I've never taken any bad treatment at RES, but I am a bigger guy (6'4) and it sounds like that might have something to do with it. I just think that the stereotypical Ute fan looks ridiculous and is an all too common sight there. You could probably say the same thing about Cougar fans at LES but I grew up there, so it just doesn't bug me as much.

I've razzed Utah fans at LES in pretty friendly ways, but there's no way I can imagine calling them an f-ing fag (from cougjunkie's "mild" example), nor can I imagine anyone with any sort of self-respect doing that. If you're blowing that off as something minor and everyday, there's something wrong with you. Maybe I'm sitting in the wrong sections, but I've been to qiute a few away games and have never heard that from other fans.

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 09:57 AM
To read BYU fans' reports, going into Ute stadium was like entering one of those steel cage matches. I think that's the whole point; to generate this kind of absurd outrage. The truth is 99% of Ute fans are pretty milquetoast.

I'm fine if you don't believe what happened.

Shasta61 and a few other Ufn'ers were there and saw the incident at the tailgate lot.

BigPiney
11-24-2008, 09:58 AM

Wow, you are suuuuch a douche.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM

I think both sides have idiots, in fact I would say about 10-15% of both fan bases are complete dickheads. But when you mix Caffeine Free Coke with dickheads you still have a dickhead. When you mix alcohol with dickheads you get an extreme dickhead.

I know this might sound dumb but the fact that RES no longer sells alcohol contributes to this. Knowing they cant get beer in the stadium people tend to get completely lit up before the game and they go overboard. If they could buy beer in the stadium they would pace themselves.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I think both sides have idiots, in fact I would say about 10-15% of both fan bases are complete dickheads. But when you mix Caffeine Coke with dickheads you still have a dickhead. When you mix alcohol with dickheads you get an extreme dickhead.

I know this might sound dumb but the fact that RES no longer sells alcohol contributes to this. Knowing they cant get beer in the stadium people tend to get completely lit up before the game and they go overboard. If they could buy beer in the stadium they would pace themselves.

I think you are correct about that. But I don't know how a university can sell alcohol at games. Most the student body isn't of age. They don't do it anywhere here.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I think you are correct about that. But I don't know how a university can sell alcohol at games. They don't do it anywhere here.

UNLV sells alcohol in fact they have a full bar and they cut off sales in the 4th quarter.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I think you are correct about that. But I don't know how a university can sell alcohol at games. Most the student body isn't of age. They don't do it anywhere here.

By the way I know you dont watch the games so you have no idea what is actually happening, but you may want to wait to add that last line to your sig until next week. Oregon State and Oregon havent played yet.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 10:04 AM
UNLV sells alcohol in fact they have a full bar and they cut off sales in the 4th quarter.

Like I said, I don't know how a university can do it.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I think both sides have idiots, in fact I would say about 10-15% of both fan bases are complete dickheads. But when you mix Caffeine Free Coke with dickheads you still have a dickhead. When you mix alcohol with dickheads you get an extreme dickhead.

RES has never sold alcohol.

The true problem is that fans around the drunks need to rat them out and security needs to be increased for the rivalry game. Security needs to do a better job of searching for alcohol at the gate.

There should probably be a rule that someone who is visibly drunk should not be allowed into the stadium as well.

I have no problem if folks want to imbibe, but when their behavior affects others, I believe in zero tolerance when it comes to alcohol.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 10:31 AM
My thoughts on my visit into the Lion's Den....

I was with cougjunkie pre and post game and did observe the hijinks which he describes. I do attribute most of it to sauced-up fans, which is going to be unavoidable at most colleges. We bumped into some fun trash talkers on our way to the stadium, but that one guy junkie described was pretty random. I honestly just don't know if I've seen much of that stuff at other stadiums.

I sat with EPU during the game. He was gracious enough to sell me a ticket for $450, but since he was so blitzed, he didn't notice that I handed him a $10 bill and a bunch of Subway coupons. We had a great time. I was surrounded by Ute fans of all ages, shapes, sizes, and blood alcohol levels. However, I wasn't treated poorly by any of them. The guy next to me was a complete a-hole (ironically, not EPU but the guy on the other side of me), but he was just yelling stuff down onto the field...stuff that made no sense, by the way. If you are going to run smack, make it good. But again, you are going to find this type of guy at every stadium. He was annoying, but them's the breaks. I have sat by plenty of annoying BYU fans, including one undergrad that yelled at me to be Christlike and consider the handicapped several rows behind me as I stood for the 4th and 18 game. She deserved a loving f-you just as much as the idiot fan next to me Saturday.

One thing EPU and I discussed, and it was already mentioned here, is the religion aspect of this rivalry. Frankly, I don't care for it. I wish it were not an element. I do understand that the LDS culture is smothering in Utah and many Ute fans get sick of it. Hey, I got sick of it, which is why I moved back home after school. Not sure I agree that such frustration justifies calling people faggots and Mormon queers at the game, but that being said, I know that it happens at both stadiums. For every "magic underwear" blast at RES, you get a self-righteous "Ute apostate" comment at LES. I know the local fans think that they are being part of something cool....a heated rivalry between two in-state teams...and that by participating in these types of comments, they are just taking part in rivalry week. But in truth, these knuckelheads are an embarassment to everything that is great about college football and certainly do an injustice to 2 otherwise solid academic institutions. Rivalries are fantastic, but this petty personal crap is an abomination. I wish it would go away. Ironically, many of the fans probably think that these intense personal attacks legitimize the rivalry, but in reality I think it exposes both schools for being insular and small time. As someone said here, these idiots are likely an embarassment to Crimson Club members and to real Ute fans. I know I have been embarassed by stupid BYU fans, as well, to be sure.

On a general game day note, I love to check out what other schools do at their games:

1. Ute fans know how to rock their school colors. That place is a sea of red and it looks impressive. BYU fans are clueless when it comes to wearing the right color. I just don't get why it is so hard to wear the right color.
2. I liked how many Ute fans brought Ute flags. It seemed like I counted 20 or more people toting Ute flags on those long poles. I also heard horns, cowbells, etc. Stuff like that really helps make the atmosphere fun.
3. The Ute band is....er......small. I think BYU brought more band geeks than Utah. Both bands seemed to have several players with big butts, which is always the sign of a solid marching band. However, because the band is so small, you lose a lot of the in-game atmosphere. The school should seriously consider making the band bigger.
4. Whoever coordinated the audio/video for the Senior Day player announcements needs to be shot. It was a mess.
5. Time the flyover to coincide with something....the end of the National Anthem, for example. The flyover was just at some random moment before the game.
6. The stadium is a nice venue to watch football. No bad seats in the house and the fans are relatively close to the sidelines. The crowds moved into the gates quickly...always a big plus.

I didnt get there early enough to see the Ute Walk (is that what it is called? apologies if I butchered it), but would have liked to see that.

All in all, an enjoyable trip. Can't win 'em every year, but we will get at it next year. The see-saw nature of this rivalry over the past 10-15 years has made it very fun.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 10:36 AM

I was with cougjunkie pre and post game and did observe the hijinks which he describes. I do attribute most of it to sauced-up fans, which is going to be unavoidable at most colleges. We bumped into some fun trash talkers on our way to the stadium, but that one guy junkie described was pretty random. I honestly just don't know if I've seen much of that stuff at other stadiums.

I sat with EPU during the game. He was gracious enough to sell me a ticket for $450, but since he was so blitzed, he didn't notice that I handed him a $10 bill and a bunch of Subway coupons. We had a great time. I was surrounded by Ute fans of all ages, shapes, sizes, and blood alcohol levels. However, I wasn't treated poorly by any of them. The guy next to me was a complete a-hole (ironically, not EPU but the guy on the other side of me), but he was just yelling stuff down onto the field...stuff that made no sense, by the way. If you are going to run smack, make it good. But again, you are going to find this type of guy at every stadium. He was annoying, but them's the breaks. I have sat by plenty of annoying BYU fans, including one undergrad that yelled at me to be Christlike and consider the handicapped several rows behind me as I stood for the 4th and 18 game. She deserved a loving f-you just as much as the idiot fan next to me Saturday.

One thing EPU and I discussed, and it was already mentioned here, is the religion aspect of this rivalry. Frankly, I don't care for it. I wish it were not an element. I do understand that the LDS culture is smothering in Utah and many Ute fans get sick of it. Hey, I got sick of it, which is why I moved back home after school. Not sure I agree that such frustration justifies calling people faggots and Mormon queers at the game, but that being said, I know that it happens at both stadiums. For every "magic underwear" blast at RES, you get a self-righteous "Ute apostate" comment at LES. I know the local fans think that they are being part of something cool....a heated rivalry between two in-state teams...and that by participating in these types of comments, they are just taking part in rivalry week. But in truth, these knuckelheads are an embarassment to everything that is great about college football and certainly do an injustice to 2 otherwise solid academic institutions. Rivalries are fantastic, but this petty personal crap is an abomination. I wish it would go away. Ironically, many of the fans probably think that these intense personal attacks legitimize the rivalry, but in reality I think it exposes both schools for being insular and small time. As someone said here, these idiots are likely an embarassment to Crimson Club members and to real Ute fans. I know I have been embarassed by stupid BYU fans, as well, to be sure.

On a general game day note, I love to check out what other schools do at their games:

1. Ute fans know how to rock their school colors. That place is a sea of red and it looks impressive. BYU fans are clueless when it comes to wearing the right color. I just don't get why it is so hard to wear the right color.
2. I liked how many Ute fans brought Ute flags. It seemed like I counted 20 or more people toting Ute flags on those long poles. I also heard horns, cowbells, etc. Stuff like that really helps make the atmosphere fun.
3. The Ute band is....er......small. I think BYU brought more band geeks than Utah. Both bands seemed to have several players with big butts, which is always the sign of a solid marching band. However, because the band is so small, you lose a lot of the in-game atmosphere. The school should seriously consider making the band bigger.
4. Whoever coordinated the audio/video for the Senior Day player announcements needs to be shot. It was a mess.
5. Time the flyover to coincide with something....the end of the National Anthem, for example. The flyover was just at some random moment before the game.
6. The stadium is a nice venue to watch football. No bad seats in the house and the fans are relatively close to the sidelines. The crowds moved into the gates quickly...always a big plus.

I didnt get there early enough to see the Ute Walk (is that what it is called? apologies if I butchered it), but would have liked to see that.

All in all, an enjoyable trip. Can't win 'em every year, but we will get at it next year. The see-saw nature of this rivalry over the past 10-15 years has made it very fun.

You seem to have struck up a real friendship with Junkie. I'm happy for both of you since you both seem to be humorous, interesting fellows. However, unlike many others who come to Seattle, and like Lebowski, you eschewed SU when you were in Seattle. Maybe we can link up at the BCS bowl game if Utah and USC play.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 10:43 AM
You seem to have struck up a real friendship with Junkie. I'm happy for both of you since you both seem to be humorous, interesting fellows. However, unlike many others who come to Seattle, and like Lebowski, you eschewed SU when you were in Seattle. Maybe we can link up at the BCS bowl game if Utah and USC play.

Junkie has great eyes.....full eyelashes, full puppy-dog pupils....it is mesmerizing, to say the least. It is very much like Medusa....one look into Junkie's eyes and part of you definitely turns to stone...if you get my drift.

I told you, I already had a date in Seattle with MarkGrace. Otherwise I would have definitely accepted your offer.

I'd be up for a Fiesta Bowl date, but if Jaquisss doesn't heal properly this week, SC will be heading to Pasadena, not Tempe.

Jeff Lebowski
11-24-2008, 10:46 AM

Whoa there, buddy. I was in Seattle on an unscheduled layover with my elderly father on a fishing trip (we missed a flight). I had to take care of him. But rest assured that my next business trip to Seattle will include time for dinner with SU.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 10:51 AM

I had fun at the game with you. And I appreciate the Subway coupons, as I don't have to worry about shopping for Christmas gifts. BTW, were you aware that the $10 bill is counterfeit? It didn't pass counterfeit pen test. And Karl Malden's face isn't on the bill either.

I get to sit next to that guy every game. Lucky me, eh?

The Ute walk is 2 1/2 hours before the game and I missed it too. Stupid family stuff ruins everything.

We did have a laugh about the audio/video coordination, didn't we? As I pointed out, this is what happens when you let A/V geeks be in charge. I mean, they know how to do each part of it individually, but putting it together is an entirely different thing.

Perhaps we can do it again in two years. But I'll be sure to know what you're trying to use as legal tender next time.

UtahDan
11-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Are there any Utah fans out there who will even try to convince us that a small part of their joy was sticking it to the zoobs? We certainly took great pleasure in ripping out Utah's hearts two years in a row, knowing the loser fans were finally getting their comeuppance.

Not me. I know there are those who will say "we just care about winning the conference, its just another game to us, its your bowl game, etc, etc, etc" as though there is something small about getting fired up to beat your rival. I think that is an enormous pile of bull shit.

Rivalries are one of the principle things that make college football fun. I don't care what the records are, I am fired up for the rivalry game every year like no other game. I don't care if we are in a BCS game later or playing the number 1 team early on. I am fired up about those too just in a different way. But every year the rivalry game has a story line whether it is for the conference championship or one team or the other is playing a spoiler. There is something a stake there completely apart from other accomplishments.

I say there is nothing wrong with admitting that sticking it to your rival is really fun. Everyone knows this. I think people kid themselves who say otherwise or just say it to try to claim some silly moral high ground.

Jeff Lebowski
11-24-2008, 10:53 AM
I sat with EPU during the game. He was gracious enough to sell me a ticket for $450, but since he was so blitzed, he didn't notice that I handed him a $10 bill and a bunch of Subway coupons. We had a great time.

Be careful with IPU. He will break your heart in the end.

Brian
11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Sorry if I ticked you off Rock, it was partly in jest. They know how to enjoy a game and it's a great atmosphere. But a little kid kicking you in the head? Ok, I guess anything is possible.

But, really, what did you expect with what ding dong farted out of his mouth last year? And Bronco's idiotic public marketing campaign? Everyone knew it would be a wild ride.

That said, my little brother has plenty of stories from the zoo. I have never been in LES, but he has been to several. He he even knew about the opening prayer and never told me about it. At the Staley/Doman debacle, as he was leaving, he was heckled, yelled at had stuff thrown at him and several people got out into the aisle to block his way, while yelling stuff at his face. He did say it was the most miserable thing he'd ever experienced, so, well done cougs. And he expected such, it was all part of the adventure.

Like everyone has said, plenty of ass hats to go around. However, hangovers go away in a day. Self-righteousness is a little harder.

Self righteousness is at the crux of the matter, whether you believe it or not. If you don't acknowledge the suffocating mormon culture in utah and the self righteousness of some (not all, but enough that everyone knows a few) you aren't paying attention.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Are there any Utah fans out there who will even try to convince us that a small part of their joy was sticking it to the zoobs?

Had the Utes won the game in the same way that the Cougars have won the last two, I would have really rubbed it in. But because it wasn't a close game, there is no reason to gloat, IMO. The final score says more than I ever could.

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 10:59 AM

They sell Alcohol at The Thomas and Mack Center and at Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas. And I'm not just talking about beer. I'm talking about the hard liquor.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 11:01 AM
They sell Alcohol at The Thomas and Mack Center and at Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas. And I'm not just talking about beer. I'm talking about the hard liquor.

That is what I was trying to tell him, maybe he will listen to you. Could you also post that Oregon State has not beat Oregon yet, so he may want to adjust his signature for a week.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 11:04 AM
That is what I was trying to tell him, maybe he will listen to you. Could you also post that Oregon State has not beat Oregon yet, so he may want to adjust his signature for a week.

I'm posting it now because otherwise I may never get to. I'm actually rooting for Oregon, I think, because the Beavers could absorb a coveted BCS bowl spot.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm posting it now because otherwise I may never get to. I'm actually rooting for Oregon, I think, because the Beavers could absorb a coveted BCS bowl spot.

You lost me. What do you mean?

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Exactly coveted for who? Is SU an Ohio State fan now?

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM

Is this a subtle response for the innuendo fastball that SU just threw right over the middle of the plate?

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry if I ticked you off Rock, it was partly in jest. They know how to enjoy a game and it's a great atmosphere. But a little kid kicking you in the head? Ok, I guess anything is possible.

But, really, what did you expect with what ding dong farted out of his mouth last year? And Bronco's idiotic public marketing campaign? Everyone knew it would be a wild ride.

That said, my little brother has plenty of stories from the zoo. I have never been in LES, but he has been to several. He he even knew about the opening prayer and never told me about it. At the Staley/Doman debacle, as he was leaving, he was heckled, yelled at had stuff thrown at him and several people got out into the aisle to block his way, while yelling stuff at his face. He did say it was the most miserable thing he'd ever experienced, so, well done cougs. And he expected such, it was all part of the adventure.

Like everyone has said, plenty of ass hats to go around. However, hangovers go away in a day. Self-righteousness is a little harder.

Self righteousness is at the crux of the matter, whether you believe it or not. If you don't acknowledge the suffocating mormon culture in utah and the self righteousness of some (not all, but enough that everyone knows a few) you aren't paying attention.

You didn't tick me off.

It's nice to see you justify the behavior though.

You could've saved yourself about 5 paragraphs, but thanks anyway. :)

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Is this a subtle response for the innuendo fastball that SU just threw right over the middle of the plate?

Ha. actually, no I was being serious.

Why would SU care if Oregon State went to the Rose Bowl? The Utes are in no matter what and they were never going to the Rose Bowl.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Ha. actually, no I was being serious.

Why would SU care if Oregon State went to the Rose Bowl? The Utes are in no matter what and they were never going to the Rose Bowl.

Exactly if Oregon state loses then Ohio state goes to the BCS. If oregon state wins they go Rose bowl, and USC most likely goes Fiesta.

By the way Colin Cowherd just said that Utah does not have a single player that would start for USC. What do you guys think of that.

Brian
11-24-2008, 11:22 AM
You didn't tick me off.

Dang. (c:

It's nice to see you justify the behavior though.

You could've saved yourself about 5 paragraphs, but thanks anyway. :)

Not justifying, just explaining.

And it's attitudes like this will ensure there will always be a baby to kick you in the head and someone to throw crap at my brother.

Or will better magic coins fix it?

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Exactly if Oregon state loses then Ohio state goes to the BCS. If oregon state wins they go Rose bowl, and USC most likely goes Fiesta.

By the way Colin Cowherd just said that Utah does not have a single player that would start for USC. What do you guys think of that.

I think his eastern washington education is showing up.

Seriously? not one player? I'm pretty sure Sakoda would start. Sean Smith, Brent Casteel and Paul Kruger would start for them.

Brian
11-24-2008, 11:25 AM

o;akdjf;alsijefesijf

It just made me throw my laptop through the window. and then i kicked a hole my wall and then i stapled my eye lids to the carpet in the hallway.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I think his eastern washington education is showing up.

Seriously? not one player? I'm pretty sure Sakoda would start. Sean Smith, Brent Casteel and Paul Kruger would start for them.

brent casteel? LOL.

"Sit down, Patrick Turner and Damian Williams. We have this new 5 10 kid named Casteel. Sorry, guys....."

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 11:39 AM

I want Oregon State to beat Oregon just because it looks good for Utah. With the way Michigan has gone into the tank, a win over PAC-10 champs will look good to those who believe the PAC-10 is better than the MWC this year.

As for Cowherd, I missed that comment, but it doesn't bother me at all. The only thing about college football that I care about is that Utah is 12-0 and my Red Foxes finished up at 4-7!

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM

If OSU beats Oregon then they'll have to find a spot for USC someplace and potentially reduce Utah's place in the pecking order as far as available bowls are concerned. If OSU loses, they're out of the picture and the Pac 10 has only one BCS team.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 11:49 AM
If OSU beats Oregon then they'll have to find a spot for USC someplace and potentially reduce Utah's place in the pecking order as far as available bowls are concerned. If OSU loses, they're out of the picture and the Pac 10 has only one BCS team.

ah, ok.

So you still think the BCS bowls want to pick the non-BCS autobid before other BCS at large teams?

Got it. Well, good luck to you in that.

I have stated before....the Utes (or ANY non-BCS school) will be picked either last or second to last. And the game will most likely have the worst ratings of all 5 BCS games. At best, it will have the second worst ratings.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 11:51 AM
ah, ok.

So you still think the BCS bowls want to pick the non-BCS autobid before other BCS at large teams?

Got it. Well, good luck to you in that.

I have stated before....the Utes (or ANY non-BCS school) will be picked either last or second to last. And the game will most likely have the worst ratings of all 5 BCS games. At best, it will have the second worst ratings.

You may be right, which only makes all the more sense that Ute fans should root for OSU. However, I think Utah will be picked before the Big East or ACC champion.

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 11:56 AM
You may be right, which only makes all the more sense that Ute fans should root for OSU. However, I think Utah will be picked before the Big East or ACC champion.

If West Virginia wins the Big East they will be picked before Utah. You can put that in your sig line.

If Florida State wins the ACC or Va Tech they will both be picked over Utah as well.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 11:57 AM
If West Virginia wins the Big East they will be picked before Utah. You can put that in your sig line.

If Florida State wins the ACC or Va Tech they will both be picked over Utah as well.

I meant to say root for Oregon.

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 11:59 AM

The ACC winner will be picked before Utah ... they have a tie in with Orange bowl. In fact its not a pick its a lock.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 12:01 PM
And the game will most likely have the worst ratings of all 5 BCS games. At best, it will have the second worst ratings.

And this is exactly why I hate the BCS. It is not about finding a true champion, but about the number of tv sets in a geographical area. Always has been and always will be.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 12:02 PM
The ACC winner will be picked before Utah ... they have a tie in with Orange bowl. In fact its not a pick its a lock.

Yeah... that's right. ... that's what I meant. That's the ticket. It's so funny that you think I don't know that.

SeattleUte
11-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Seriously, if conferences like the Big East and the ACC have locked bids what's the significance of saying Utah will be picked last or next to last? Neither of those champions will be "picked." 0 significance. It's just gratuitously mean.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Seriously, if conferences like the Big East and the ACC have locked bids what's the significance of saying Utah will be picked last or next to last? Neither of those champions will be "picked." 0 significance. It's just gratuitously mean.

it is reality.

if there were no auto-bids, Utah would not be playing in a BCS bowl, they would be playing in Vegas.

Why do you think an autobid rule was written in? It forces the bowls to do that which they otherwise would not want to do.

LA Ute
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Next year when we have a Senior QB in our stadium putting the clincher on a fantastic year by beating them in RES I don't plan on being accomodating like I have been in the past.

Sorry to sound like your Young Men advisor, but that makes it sound like you have have decided to become part of the problem yourself now, rather than part of the solution.

Mormon Red Death
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM

The big east champ gets into a game but they aren't tie in to a bowl

Pac-10 and Big 10 - Tied in to Rose Bowl
Big 12 Tied in to Fiesta Bowl
SEC Tied in to Sugar Bowl
ACC Tied in to Orange Bowl
Big East must be selected
Non BCS team that finish under 12 must be selected

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
The big east champ gets into a game but they aren't tie in to a bowl

Pac-10 and Big 10 - Tied in to Rose Bowl
Big 12 Tied in to Fiesta Bowl
SEC Tied in to Sugar Bowl
ACC Tied in to Orange Bowl
Big East must be selected
The highest ranked Non BCS team that finishes under 12 must be selected

I fixed it for you.

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Dang. (c:

Not justifying, just explaining.

And it's attitudes like this will ensure there will always be a baby to kick you in the head and someone to throw crap at my brother.

Or will better magic coins fix it?

Gee I hadn't thought of any of that...

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Sorry to sound like your Young Men advisor, but that makes it sound like you have have decided to become part of the problem yourself now, rather than part of the solution.

Turnabout is fair play and quite frankly they will have earned it coming back to them in spades.

I do not plan on being a gracious host next year.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Turnabout is fair play and quite frankly they will have earned it coming back to them in spades.

I do not plan on being a gracious host next year.

Rocky, I like you, but now I really want Utah to win next year to ruin your fun.

TripletDaddy
11-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Honestly, if you want to drive Ute fans nuts, be SUPER nice to them. Also, use the word "super."

They eat that stuff up because they already think Zoobs are a bunch of sticky-sweet, self-righteous prigs.

So you can have a little rivalry fun and not be an offensive a-hole in the process.

Could you imagine how annoying it would be if everyone welcomed them and kept offering them a slice of pie or something to drink during the game? Every few minutes people come up to them and ask to shake their hand so they can't watch the game in peace, etc.

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Rocky, I like you, but now I really want Utah to win next year to ruin your fun.

Sorry, I had to say it.

lol...in reality I'll still be nice.

Although 2 years from now when we return to RES, I'm not just gonna sit there and take it like I did on Saturday.

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Honestly, if you want to drive Ute fans nuts, be SUPER nice to them. Also, use the word "super."

They eat that stuff up because they already think Zoobs are a bunch of sticky-sweet, self-righteous prigs.

So you can have a little rivalry fun and not be an offensive a-hole in the process.

Could you imagine how annoying it would be if everyone welcomed them and kept offering them a slice of pie or something to drink during the game? Every few minutes people come up to them and ask to shake their hand so they can't watch the game in peace, etc.

LOL...now that I think about it....this does sound like the best course for revenge. :)

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 12:44 PM

You'd get a better reaction from zoobs if Ute fans did as you suggested, as it would demolish their perception of what zoobs think Ute fans are.

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Although 2 years from now when we return to RES, I'm not just gonna sit there and take it like I did on Saturday.

Be sure to dress like Dee Snyder.

Brian
11-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Sorry, I had to say it.

lol...in reality I'll still be nice.

Why act like a Christian and turn the other cheek when you can try and out dick the dickheads?

I'll try and be there in 2 years, but it's a long throw from my parents' seats to the visitor section.

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Why act like a Christian and turn the other cheek when you can try and out dick the dickheads?

I'll try and be there in 2 years, but it's a long throw from my parents' seats to the visitor section.

I'm sure you're well versed in out dicking others.

Hot Lunch
11-24-2008, 01:42 PM
One quick question: how much of a difference in your thoughts compared to 2 years ago is there based on the outcome of the game? It's a lot easier to forget the crap when your team wins.

I saw Rocky before the game and he told me this story. So I heard it from his mouth prior to kickoff so I don't think the outcome played on his thoughts and experience.

The_Tick
11-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Beer and alcohol can be sold at stadiums not on campus.

That is why UNLV can sell at their events.

That is one reason they have the OU/Texas game at the fairgrounds...

cougjunkie
11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Beer and alcohol can be sold at stadiums not on campus.

That is why UNLV can sell at their events.

That is one reason they have the OU/Texas game at the fairgrounds...

Is the Thomas and Mack not considered on campus?

The_Tick
11-24-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't believe it is. That is how they consider it a "neutral" site for the BBall tourney.

I may be wrong on that venue, but that is the CFB rule.

RockyBalboa
11-24-2008, 02:28 PM
I don't believe it is. That is how they consider it a "neutral" site for the BBall tourney.

I may be wrong on that venue, but that is the CFB rule.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the T&M is on campus, even if it's considered to not be "on campus".

il Padrino Ute
11-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I saw Rocky before the game and he told me this story. So I heard it from his mouth prior to kickoff so I don't think the outcome played on his thoughts and experience.

Understood.

I am aware of the group that gave him problems and the majority of those are people who I'd never seen this season in the lot. I tailgate next to that group that was giving Rocky hell.

fuegote
11-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Rocky, get me a ticket for next year's game and I'll gladly take the abuse to make up for what happened on Saturday.

myboynoah
11-25-2008, 12:18 AM

It's all cool. Read brian's "explanation."

kccougar
11-25-2008, 12:52 PM
My brother-in-law attended the game with his brother. They are two of the absolute most mild-mannered guys you would ever meet - I can confidently say that there is no way they were instigating anything. They were wearing blue, of course.

I hadn't said anything to him prior to the game about what to expect there, and he is not a message board reader. On Monday he reported to me that it was absoultely the worst he has been treated anywhere or at any time. Guys right up in his face as they walked into the stadium, yelling obscenities. As they tried to get through the packed tunnel on the way to their seats, he was repeatedly hit in the back and sides. When they were in their seats, there were 4 guys behind them that were obviously drunk. They kept up the insults and obscenities, and hit them in the back with some sort of nerf tubes they had. My brother-in-law said he didn't even cheer at all because he didn't want to invite more trouble. Eventually the guys got up and left to "start some shit" with some BYU fans a section over that were actively cheering.

My BIL left with about a minute to go in the game, because they didn't want to get caught in a crowd after the game was over. He said there is no way he'll attend another game there.

Take it for what it's worth.

Pheidippides
11-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I am going to plainly say what others have only alluded to:

The (alleged) behavior of Ute fans is not even worthy to enter the pantheon of boorishness that accompanies the Red Sox/Yankees series. Or, frankly, any NY team and a rival.

Goatnapper'96
11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
I am going to plainly say what others have only alluded to:

The (alleged) behavior of Ute fans is not even worthy to enter the pantheon of boorishness that accompanies the Red Sox/Yankees series. Or, frankly, any NY team and a rival.

Considering your average BYU thinks bad behavior is not getting your hometeaching done.

Now when Jaimie Hill is beating down women and children......

Is there anyone who really believes that Utah and BYU are not the two dorkiest fanbases in the land? Trully we deserve each other. Equally yoked.

Goatnapper'96
11-25-2008, 01:44 PM
It's all cool. Read brian's "explanation."

Hey Joe Cool, you got any idea what suffocating feels like?

Honestly, any BYU fan who did not see this coming was a fool. I am not justifying whatever boorish behavior occurred, but given how the past two games ended and the taunting/signs at airports/signs at bowl games etc., that occurred one had to know that there would be a shortage of KY Jelly at WalMarts all across SL County as Max Hall threw his 3rd, 4th and 5th interceptions.

When the dust settles I do hope that some of the Ute pussies whining about BYU coaches or players physically abusing them are really true. The most optimistic I got about next year was when Adam Rich nailed the shit out of Brandon Godfrey and got that helmet to helmet penalty. I would like to think that the club has a little Danite spirit in them. If you are a fan and you taunt a player on the field of play I think if the player beats the living shit out of you, the world probably becomes a better place. I doubt the law agrees with me or even God himself, but I am of the opinion that a good asswhoopin can be very beneficial for individuals and mankind.

It is more fun to read after BYU won however as one can drop some match on that kerosene and watch the Utefan piss and moan about suffocating self righteousness and the justification of abuse...or something like that.

il Padrino Ute
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey Joe Cool, you got any idea what suffocating feels like?

Honestly, any BYU fan who did not see this coming was a fool. I am not justifying whatever boorish behavior occurred, but given how the past two games ended and the taunting/signs at airports/signs at bowl games etc., that occurred one had to know that there would be a shortage of KY Jelly at WalMarts all across SL County as Max Hall threw his 3rd, 4th and 5th interceptions.

When the dust settles I do hope that some of the Ute pussies whining about BYU coaches or players physically abusing them are really true. The most optimistic I got about next year was when Adam Rich nailed the shit out of Brandon Godfrey and got that helmet to helmet penalty. I would like to think that the club has a little Danite spirit in them. If you are a fan and you taunt a player on the field of play I think if the player beats the living shit out of you, the world probably becomes a better place. I doubt the law agrees with me or even God himself, but I am of the opinion that a good asswhoopin can be very beneficial for individuals and mankind.

It is more fun to read after BYU won however as one can drop some match on that kerosene and watch the Utefan piss and moan about suffocating self righteousness and the justification of abuse...or something like that.

I agree with most everything you've posted here, save your last paragraph. I think it's more fun to hear the Y fans reaction to how their team lost the game, rather than the fact that Utah outplayed the Y. It's also fun to hear stories about the boorish behavior of Ute fans. (I'm not saying it doesn't happen and this year I have had confirmation from Ute fans that it did happen, but generally, it's embellished beyond belief.)

And you are correct. The two fan bases deserve each other. The most amusing part of it is that neither side recognizes that they have made each other who they are.

LA Ute
11-25-2008, 02:03 PM
The two fan bases deserve each other. The most amusing part of it is that neither side recognizes that they have made each other who they are.

Il Padrino, that is one of the most elegant statements of BYU-Utah reality I have ever seen.

DrumNFeather
11-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Is there anyone who really believes that Utah and BYU are not the two dorkiest fanbases in the land? Trully we deserve each other. Equally yoked.

Harvard and Yale perhaps?

UtahDan
11-25-2008, 02:32 PM
One of the best parts of a rivalry win is the aftermath. Particularly the things that fans use to distract themselves from the pain of the outcome of that game. We all do it, but it is still fun to watch.

TripletDaddy
11-25-2008, 02:43 PM
One of the best parts of a rivalry win is the aftermath. Particularly the things that fans use to distract themselves from the pain of the outcome of that game. We all do it, but it is still fun to watch.

In all honesty, I don't get too up or down. The next day, time to get up, read about the game, be annoyed, then move on.

Today is it a non-issue. Nothing can be done either way and there are more games on the horizon.

After 4th and 18, we went out to dinner. I was really pumped up. I went back to work the following Monday and that was the end of it.

Unlike SU, I don't recall ever crying over a team or a game.

Some of you might look at my inability to cry over such a sad event and think it offensive. But that doesn't mean that I killed the Arab.

BYU lost this past weekend. Or maybe the previous weekend. I can't be sure.....

UtahDan
11-25-2008, 03:05 PM
In all honesty, I don't get too up or down. The next day, time to get up, read about the game, be annoyed, then move on.

Today is it a non-issue. Nothing can be done either way and there are more games on the horizon.

After 4th and 18, we went out to dinner. I was really pumped up. I went back to work the following Monday and that was the end of it.

Unlike SU, I don't recall ever crying over a team or a game.

Some of you might look at my inability to cry over such a sad event and think it offensive. But that doesn't mean that I killed the Arab.

BYU lost this past weekend. Or maybe the previous weekend. I can't be sure.....

Yup. If I made a list of those distraction activities, acting like one doesn't care would be right near the top. You're not really a BYU partisan so you don't count.

TripletDaddy
11-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Yup. If I made a list of those distraction activities, acting like one doesn't care would be right near the top. You're not really a BYU partisan so you don't count.

I think there is a difference between not caring and taking it too seriously.

I don't know of anyone involved with either school that doesn't care.

Perhaps you feel that everyone should be upset or elated for several weeks? A month? Should people cry? What is the appropriate response as you see it?

beelzebabette
11-25-2008, 03:20 PM

Would I qualify as a BYU partisan? I'm a fan in the supporter or enthusiast sense of the word; I exhibit an intense interest in their teams. I enjoy going to the games; I hope the BYU teams win any contest they're engaged in. My self-worth is not tied up in the teams wins and losses.

I don't think DDD is alone in waking up the next morning to a new day. I don't wake up ecstatic the morning after a win, and I don't wake up devastated after a loss.

venkman
11-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Would I qualify as a BYU partisan? I'm a fan in the supporter or enthusiast sense of the word; I exhibit an intense interest in their teams. I enjoy going to the games; I hope the BYU teams win any contest they're engaged in. My self-worth is not tied up in the teams wins and losses.

I don't think DDD is alone in waking up the next morning to a new day. I don't wake up ecstatic the morning after a win, and I don't wake up devastated after a loss.

I wasn't too broken up by this loss. Very disappointed because it was winnable, but I expected to lose so it wasn't too devastating. In fact, I was pretty much over it by the time it was over. I mean, I'm still a little ticked when I think about it, just not depressed.

However, the 2005 loss was horrific, I was seriously depressed for a week. I think it had to do with the fact we were favored and then lost - fourth in a row.

I was on cloud nine for weeks after the 2006 win. I'd get all SU-like and my eyes would well up with tears of joy just thinking about that catch.

So it really just depends.

fuegote
11-25-2008, 04:38 PM
And you are correct. The two fan bases deserve each other. The most amusing part of it is that neither side recognizes that they have made each other who they are.
Amen, amen, <sigh> amen. This week is almost over thank heavens. The worst two weeks of the year for me are the week before the game and the week after. But then again, I don't like contention.

Thanksgiving can't get here soon enough.

UtahDan
11-25-2008, 07:51 PM
I think there is a difference between not caring and taking it too seriously.

I don't know of anyone involved with either school that doesn't care.

Perhaps you feel that everyone should be upset or elated for several weeks? A month? Should people cry? What is the appropriate response as you see it?

I think people should cry. That would bring me even more joy. I'm just highlighting that the emotion lasts longer for the victor because it is a good one where as the losers always compartmentalize, move one, start talking about other things (many of them ridiculous) and say they don't care because most of us don't dwell on unpleasantness. I.e., yeah we lost but anywho, lets talk about rude fans, how much we think you will get clobbered in your BCS game, etc etc.

Its only Tuesday, I will bask in the glow for weeks. If my team had lost, I would still want to talk football but not that, so I would also be not caring, minimizing, picking at the edges, focusing on minutia, etc.

UtahDan
11-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Oh BS. If you can't talk more pleasure out of an important win in a rivlary game (the biggest most important ever) then you have missed half the point of college sports. Had BYU won 48-24 BYU fans would be on cloud nine for weeks with endless threads about the game, its fall out, implications, relative status of the programs, etc, and rightly so.

I just don't believe you. I understand that we all want to move on after a loss because it is unpleasant, we cut it off, but don't try to sell me on the the idea that you move on just as quickly from a really big important rivalry win. Nonsense.

UtahDan
11-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I was on cloud nine for weeks after the 2006 win. I'd get all SU-like and my eyes would well up with tears of joy just thinking about that catch.

So it really just depends.

This underscores the point I was making (it was a really small point, actually). You will probably always feel satisfaction and joy about that catch. It was a big deal and it always will be. You dwell on the good when there is some, but in a week like this you move on. You are also right of course that expectations are everything.

il Padrino Ute
11-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Oh BS. If you can't talk more pleasure out of an important win in a rivlary game (the biggest most important ever) then you have missed half the point of college sports. Had BYU won 48-24 BYU fans would be on cloud nine for weeks with endless threads about the game, its fall out, implications, relative status of the programs, etc, and rightly so.

I just don't believe you. I understand that we all want to move on after a loss because it is unpleasant, we cut it off, but don't try to sell me on the the idea that you move on just as quickly from a really big important rivalry win. Nonsense.

For me, win or lose, the game is over once I leave the stadium. I did talk about it, but there is very little emotional attachment for me to a game.

It doesn't surprise me that others are like me in that regard, as it really is just a game. Perhaps you are more emotionally invested in it than I am.

The only time I was ever emotionally involved was when I played. But now that I am only a spectator rather than a participant, I have no reason to get emotional.

Surfah
11-25-2008, 08:08 PM

I agree. This loss will bother me until we have a chance to make things right next November.

UtahDan
11-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I agree. This loss will bother me until we have a chance to make things right next November.

Surfah, you get me. You really get me.

RockyBalboa
11-25-2008, 08:15 PM

It'll bug me too, but it won't stick in my craw for the entire time.

But....I won't lie when I'm saying that revenge will be sweet. :)

UtahDan
11-26-2008, 07:02 AM
It'll bug me too, but it won't stick in my craw for the entire time.

I don't think there is room for anything additional to be stuck in your craw. ;)

byu71
11-26-2008, 08:04 AM
I kicked the chair on one of the interceptions and yelled at Anae's play calling. I don't think he could hear me through the TV, but I yelled anyway. So there is still some of that, "I am in pain with my team" still left in me. However, the pain goes away quickly.

I think it is somewhat like my affiliation with the republican party. It seems the religious right has taken over. Especially as the victim of the religious right, I live vicariously through Mitt Romney, I am somewhat sensitive to those who want to mix "their" brand of religion with politics.

Likewise, the overt expression of the religion card that has ascended into the BYU football program has dampened my enthusiasm. Bandwaggoner??? Well just watch the religion/football contingency abandon ship if we don't compete with Utah on the national stage.

I will be very interested in the attendance at the Vegas Bowl if we go. My guess is even with another 10-2 season, attendance will be off. Coaches, admin. and fans alike deep in their minds are questioning now whether we can move to the next level with the "they need to recruit us" mantra. As time goes on the "God will bless our team" crowd will jump off the bandwaggon faster than most fans. They will crawl back into their mode of "I would rather lose with honor than win without it" and watch the games on TV when they have the time.

I should add this note: Bronco is a very, very good coach. He has given BYU everything they have asked for and more. 3 great seasons and a promotion of the BYU ideals. I like the BB coaches style more, but that is a personal thing and certainly not a knock on Bronco. I just wonder if there are enough "true blue" fans out there to carry the program if we stall out where we are at.

pelagius
11-26-2008, 08:07 AM
I kicked the chair on one of the interceptions and yelled at Anae's play calling. I don't think he could hear me through the TV, but I yelled anyway. So there is still some of that, "I am in pain with my team" still left in me. However, the pain goes away quickly.

Very strange to see you post without your usual avatar. Seriously, Welcome BYU71. Glad you made it over.

Solon
11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
I Bandwaggoner??? . . . jump off the bandwaggon

I'm happy to see BYU71, and even more happy to see the 19th century spelling of "waggon."

Mormon Red Death
11-26-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm happy to see BYU71, and even more happy to see the 19th century spelling of "waggon."

I like your avatar... I bet you chose it to represent the Utah Fans treating the byu fans at Rice Eccles Olympic Stadium.

Solon
11-26-2008, 08:27 AM
I like your avatar... I bet you chose it to represent the Utah Fans treating the byu fans at Rice Eccles Olympic Stadium.

Actually, that's what I thought when I uploaded it. The red background is a nice touch.

Coach McGuirk
11-26-2008, 08:42 AM
I will be very interested in the attendance at the Vegas Bowl if we go. My guess is even with another 10-2 season, attendance will be off. Coaches, admin. and fans alike deep in their minds are questioning now whether we can move to the next level with the "they need to recruit us" mantra. As time goes on the "God will bless our team" crowd will jump off the bandwaggon faster than most fans. They will crawl back into their mode of "I would rather lose with honor than win without it" and watch the games on TV when they have the time.

It is not so much the religion for me as the "Who cares, it is only football" and
"I hate gameday" crap. Well if that is truly the case, give me someone who cares and enjoys what they are doing. Otherwise, get out of sports, and turn BYU into a religion only school, because "who cares".

Then again, that could all be apart of the religion rhetoric.

Jeff Lebowski
11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Welcome BYU71. Great to have you here.

byu71
11-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Welcome BYU71. Great to have you here.

Thanks, it's nice to feel wanted.

cougjunkie
12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
From the blog of a utah players wife:

BAD EXPERIENCE:You know I was very disappointed in the Utah fans. It got to a point where I was almost embarrassed to be wearing RED. I couldn't believe the amount of disrespect, discrimination and violence at the game. It really was unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, GO UTES! But shame on their fans. Keep in mind we were sitting right next to the drunken student section. I will be sure to find better seats next year. And of course it is not ALL fans that are drunk and repulsive, it was just a handful. Most ute fans are a lot more tasteful and boast in good fun. Displaying hilarious pranks and jokes like this: ha ha! I was laughing so hard when I saw this, that is great!
But then there are those fans who display poor, unfortunate behavior as I am about to describe now....

As the game was coming to an end the BYU fans were taking off early. (I don't blame them) As they were leaving the U fans were dumping their drinks on them, throwing their popcorn and candy at them, it was horrible. There was even an older gentleman, probably in his late 70's, sporting a BYU hat. I mean this guy had a cane and needed someone to assist him down the bleachers. I honestly got teary eyed as I watched the drunken student section harass him and mock him, along with anyone wearing blue. How disrespectful. I mean come on, we are all humans and should have respect for those around us. If the U of U players saw this behavior they wouldn't support it for one second. So why are the fans so bad?? Because they are trying to prove a point to BYU. The sad thing, is they are not proving anything excpet that U of U has a horrible reputation.

My dad and brother came to the game with us and they sported their royal blue true and true. On the way out of the game a drunk Utah fan mocked them the entire long walk to our car. You know what? "Mocked" is not even the word to describe it. This guys was bringing religion, proposition 8, and personal morals and values into it. He was completely crossing the line and he didn't care. There is a huge difference with poking fun, and being completely distasteful and attacking an individual on a personal level. Football had nothing to do with it! It took everything in my power to bite my tongue. Saying anything more to him would have only continued to feed his fire. "F. U. BYU" is getting a little old guys. It is hard to watch anyone get treated so ghastly, but when watching some one talk to your family member like that! It made me sick. Good for you **** and Dad for supporting your Cougars with class!

I have never in my life felt so uncomfortable in one place. I will NEVER attend a Utah/BYU game again. Sorry *****, I think I would enjoy games like this from the comfort of my own home. It is too bad that a small crowed like that can ruin the fun for everyone. People like that give Utah a bad name.... I am genuinely disappointed. "GO UTAH!!, SHAME ON THE FANS!"

venkman
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM

BAD EXPERIENCE:You know I was very disappointed in the Utah fans. It got to a point where I was almost embarrassed to be wearing RED. I couldn't believe the amount of disrespect, discrimination and violence at the game. It really was unbelievable. Don't get me wrong, GO UTES! But shame on their fans. Keep in mind we were sitting right next to the drunken student section. I will be sure to find better seats next year. And of course it is not ALL fans that are drunk and repulsive, it was just a handful. Most ute fans are a lot more tasteful and boast in good fun. Displaying hilarious pranks and jokes like this: ha ha! I was laughing so hard when I saw this, that is great!
But then there are those fans who display poor, unfortunate behavior as I am about to describe now....

As the game was coming to an end the BYU fans were taking off early. (I don't blame them) As they were leaving the U fans were dumping their drinks on them, throwing their popcorn and candy at them, it was horrible. There was even an older gentleman, probably in his late 70's, sporting a BYU hat. I mean this guy had a cane and needed someone to assist him down the bleachers. I honestly got teary eyed as I watched the drunken student section harass him and mock him, along with anyone wearing blue. How disrespectful. I mean come on, we are all humans and should have respect for those around us. If the U of U players saw this behavior they wouldn't support it for one second. So why are the fans so bad?? Because they are trying to prove a point to BYU. The sad thing, is they are not proving anything excpet that U of U has a horrible reputation.

My dad and brother came to the game with us and they sported their royal blue true and true. On the way out of the game a drunk Utah fan mocked them the entire long walk to our car. You know what? "Mocked" is not even the word to describe it. This guys was bringing religion, proposition 8, and personal morals and values into it. He was completely crossing the line and he didn't care. There is a huge difference with poking fun, and being completely distasteful and attacking an individual on a personal level. Football had nothing to do with it! It took everything in my power to bite my tongue. Saying anything more to him would have only continued to feed his fire. "F. U. BYU" is getting a little old guys. It is hard to watch anyone get treated so ghastly, but when watching some one talk to your family member like that! It made me sick. Good for you **** and Dad for supporting your Cougars with class!

I have never in my life felt so uncomfortable in one place. I will NEVER attend a Utah/BYU game again. Sorry *****, I think I would enjoy games like this from the comfort of my own home. It is too bad that a small crowed like that can ruin the fun for everyone. People like that give Utah a bad name.... I am genuinely disappointed. "GO UTAH!!, SHAME ON THE FANS!"

She couldn't even say something when drunken ute fan was attacking dear old dad?

I'd have a difficult time not punching the dbag in the face. Maybe that's why I don't go to games at RES.

Sizzle
12-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Lies. All lies. Everybody knows that these things never happened.

Signed, UFN

SeattleUte
12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I finally watched the game stem to stern. I read about an interesting concept in ancient Greek philosophy a while ago. The "dry" soul and the "wet" soul. The dry soul is in control of its passions, quietly self confident, cool. Fittingly, alchohol makes your soul wet. Well, what I saw through Brian Johnson's and Max Hall's helmets respectively were the eyes of a dry and a wet soul. That told the tale of the game for me.

One quarterback was quietly self-assured, in touch with his strengths and limitations, the other pressing, desperate, panicing.

Aside from that, Paul Kruger was a man among boys! My favorite play was his interception. (Query, who can recall the last time they saw a defensive end intercept?) He snatched the ball out of air like a stick of deodorant out of a medicine cabinet. Damn, I wish he'd have danced into the end zone.

Kruger was ubiquitous. He yapped at Hall after the interception just before half, inciting the personal foul (Hall's soul really wet there), a turning point in the game. He plucked up Hall's fumble like a swan does a water skeeter. He more than atoned for his mistake comitting the offsides and nulifying the sack that would have killed BYU's first drive. But for that, BYU might never have been in the game. But I'll say this. BYU has many weapons and the 2004 Utes never beat a team as good as 2008 BYU, to say nothing of 2008 TCU.

Indy Coug
12-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks, it's nice to feel wanted.

You're welcome.

Signed,

The FBI, Interpol and NAMBLA

SeattleUte
12-05-2008, 11:24 AM
One more thing. Utes, isn't it great to see Casteel have a game like that after his personal ups and downs in the program. That, my fellow Utes, is a sign we have a great coach.

il Padrino Ute
12-05-2008, 11:30 AM
One more thing. Utes, isn't it great to see Casteel have a game like that after his personal ups and downs in the program. That, my fellow Utes, is a sign we have a great coach.

Yes, it was great to see Casteel play like he did. I just wonder why he didn't play as big a role the entire season, as I believe he's the best offensive weapon the Utes have.