Non-AQ's better watch their P's and Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-AQ's better watch their P's and Q's

Jim Delaney says that the bigboys may just take their ball and go home.

Non-AQ's Beware
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

what a bunch of pompous asses.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Jim Delaney can s my d. I'll show you how much more give the system has when you show me a playoff.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

What do people find objectionable here?

The mid majors bring relatively little to the table. Why is this upsetting?
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I actually thought the same thing when reading the article. Delaney makes some good points they have given up quite a bit for the non-AQs to have a chance to play in a BCS game.
          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            I actually thought the same thing when reading the article. Delaney makes some good points they have given up quite a bit for the non-AQs to have a chance to play in a BCS game.
            Yeah, but the teams that have made it in def. have been worth their salt, minus Hawaii. They're really a-flutter that Stanford isn't in the Rose Bowl ahead of TCU? They've already got a mother effing team in the NC game.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
              Yeah, but the teams that have made it in def. have been worth their salt, minus Hawaii. They're really a-flutter that Stanford isn't in the Rose Bowl ahead of TCU? They've already got a mother effing team in the NC game.
              What do he mid majors want? He admits in this interview that a few of the elites can compete on any given day. But his point is a monetary one. He can't be any more clear.

These bowls have had tie ins for almost 100 years in some instances. Now TCU will be playing in the Rose Bowl. Utah and Hawaii have played in the Sugar Bowl. Utah and Boise have played in the Fiesta. none of this would be possible if it weren't for the BCS.

Of course the Rose Bowl is upset that Stanford is playing in Miami. I cant speak for the orange or fiesta, but I know that the rose and sugar value their conference tie ins. The rose is the oldest bowl and has been a B10 P10 affair for decades. Most people want Stanford there, not TCU.

sigpic

Comment

I liked the old bowl system better. I would go for that.

Comment

What do he mid majors want?

That isn't made clear in the article... it's just an ironic tirade against the mid-majors' insatiable greediness, which seems to be heading off the play-off argument/push at the pass more than anything.

Comment

What I find objectionable is that if it weren't for these damn bowl games and assholes like Jim Delanus we'd have a real NCAA football championship tournament. His myopic view of the potential moneymaker that a tournament would be is just pathetic.

I also don't like the way he bitches and moans about how TCU is defiling the sanctity of the Rose Bowl. He didn't object when Texas or Oklahoma played in it, why start now?
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      That isn't made clear in the article... it's just an ironic tirade against the mid-majors' insatiable greediness, which seems to be heading off the play-off argument/push at the pass more than anything.
                      I'm not sure, but it seems that the timing coincides with the Gordon Gee/BSU dust up.

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                      What I find objectionable is that if it weren't for these damn bowl games and assholes like Jim Delanus we'd have a real NCAA football championship tournament. His myopic view of the potential moneymaker that a tournament would be is just pathetic.

I also don't like the way he bitches and moans about how TCU is defiling the sanctity of the Rose Bowl. He didn't object when Texas or Oklahoma played in it, why start now?
                      I have heard this but not sure why folks believe it. What basis do we have to believe that we were about to abandon the bowls for a playoff before the Bowl Alliance was formed? I don't recall any serious discussion about moving to a playoff, but this was also pre Internet proliferation, so perhaps these talks did take place.

Your point about the Rose is fair but I can assure you that locally, the Rose Bowl folks were not excited about hosting Nebraska, etc while PAC teams played elsewhere. The SC Texas game was different because SC, a PAC team, was playing in it.

I think that Delaney is being genuine in his threat. The B10 and p10 can easily go back to an annual Rose Bowl matchup and still make the same money.

sigpic

Comment

It is clear that the bowls are the only thing keeping from a 32 team NCAA D1 football playoff. I hear all the schools from the non-AQ schools screaming from the SWKT for a playoff in one voice.

The non-AQ's hate the bowls, and the BCS and will stop playing the AQ schools in demand of a playoff. Documented fact.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          It is clear that the bowls are the only thing keeping from a 32 team NCAA D1 football playoff. I hear all the schools from the non-AQ schools screaming from the SWKT for a playoff in one voice.

The non-AQ's hate the bowls, and the BCS and will stop playing the AQ schools in demand of a playoff. Documented fact.
                          What? I am sure I am missing a joke here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                            What? I am sure I am missing a joke here somewhere.
                            I don't think you're missing anything.
                            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

I have heard this but not sure why folks believe it. What basis do we have to believe that we were about to abandon the bowls for a playoff before the Bowl Alliance was formed? I don't recall any serious discussion about moving to a playoff, but this was also pre Internet proliferation, so perhaps these talks did take place.

Your point about the Rose is fair but I can assure you that locally, the Rose Bowl folks were not excited about hosting Nebraska, etc while PAC teams played elsewhere. The SC Texas game was different because SC, a PAC team, was playing in it.

I think that Delaney is being genuine in his threat. The B10 and p10 can easily go back to an annual Rose Bowl matchup and still make the same money.
                              Jim Delanus is just the most recent incarnation of rectal matter that does nothing else but dream up ironic and contradictory excuses as to why NCAA football cannot/should not have a playoff. It used to be that we couldn't take student athletes out of class that much by extending the season that long. Then they blew that up when they added a twelfth game and now they seem to suggest that a playoff would destroy tradition. It's all bullshit to maintain control over the distribution of funds.

I don't mean to say that the major conferences have ever been close to favoring a playoff, rather I'm saying that if it weren't for Delanus and his class of fecal faced, detritus dealers, administration and fans would have long ago decided that a playoff was in the best interest of the sport.
                              Alessandro Manzoni

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                              X