Programs that had it, now don't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programs that had it, now don't

[A separate category from programs that had it, then didn't, now have it again - like Nebraska - or programs that had it, then didn't, then had it again, and now maybe don't - like Miami, Texas, Florida and SC]

The ones that comes to mind more than any other for me is Colorado.

In the 90s Colorado was in the NCAA elite. Now they've sucked for going on a decade. Seemingly coincidental - but maybe isn't? - Colorado St's rise and decline mirrored Colorado's. Florida St isn't a total disaster right now but they definitely fell from elite-of-the-elite status to something far short of it.

What other programs fall in the category?

It seems like UCLA was a perennial Top 20 program in the 80s - am I imagining that?

For about 5 years in the 90s Arizona looked like the PAC 10's IT program with the whole "Desert Swarm" defense and all that jive. Case could be made that Penn State has fallen from annual contender status to above-averageness.
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Cade McNown, the point shaving handicap parker, had fucla 50 seconds away from playing for the national championship before Edgerrin James put a quick end to that. Then it all started unraveling for Cade. He got worked by Wisconsin the next game and within a few years he was banished forever from the Playboy Mansion.

It wasnt all bad for Cade, though. He was able to bang Heather Kozar for awhile, stealing her away from Tim Couch. He also stole Brande Roderick from Hugh Hefner when she decided that she wasnt intro necrophilia and wanted to date younger, living men.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Cade McNown, the point shaving handicap parker, had fucla 50 seconds away from playing for the national championship before Edgerrin James put a quick end to that. Then it all started unraveling for Cade. He got worked by Wisconsin the next game and within a few years he was banished forever from the Playboy Mansion.

It wasnt all bad for Cade, though. He was able to bang Heather Kozar for awhile, stealing her away from Tim Couch. He also stole Brande Roderick from Hugh Hefner when she decided that she wasnt intro necrophilia and wanted to date younger, living men.
      Given the detail here, you must've spent a lot of time in the bishop's office.

Comment

I would go with Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
          Given the detail here, you must've spent a lot of time in the bishop's office.
          Can't say. That period of my life is white as snow. I don't remember it anymore.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
            [A separate category from programs that had it, then didn't, now have it again - like Nebraska - or programs that had it, then didn't, then had it again, and now maybe don't - like Miami, Texas, Florida and SC]

The ones that comes to mind more than any other for me is Colorado.

In the 90s Colorado was in the NCAA elite. Now they've sucked for going on a decade. Seemingly coincidental - but maybe isn't? - Colorado St's rise and decline mirrored Colorado's. Florida St isn't a total disaster right now but they definitely fell from elite-of-the-elite status to something far short of it.

What other programs fall in the category?

It seems like UCLA was a perennial Top 20 program in the 80s - am I imagining that?

For about 5 years in the 90s Arizona looked like the PAC 10's IT program with the whole "Desert Swarm" defense and all that jive. Case could be made that Penn State has fallen from annual contender status to above-averageness.

Recall that Colorado's one and only (shared) national title came from getting a 5th down...

[YOUTUBE]wuGlPG6Vie4[/YOUTUBE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down_Game_(1990)
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Just football? If not, the first one that comes to mind is Utah basketball.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Recall that Colorado's one and only (shared) national title came from getting a 5th down...

[YOUTUBE]wuGlPG6Vie4[/YOUTUBE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Down_Game_(1990)
                It's been 20 years and I still think Charles Johnson didn't cross the goal line on 5th down.

I'm not sure how Colorado gets back to being good. Having the right coach would certainly help. But I don't think football is a big priority for the university and the fan base has been inconsistent at best. Maybe a fresh start in the PAC-10 with a new HC will change things. But personally there's no love lost for me and Coloado football. My visit to Folsom field was truely a miserable experience. Hope they treat fans in the PAC-10 better.
                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                  Just football? If not, the first one that comes to mind is Utah basketball.

(can't deny the accuracy), although the 2009 season was recent.
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post

(can't deny the accuracy), although the 2009 season was recent.
                    Seems like it was just last year.
                    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
                    And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

Syracuse is the poster boy as a once great program that is on it's way back, but has been down for about 8 years. Doug Marrone is doing a great job at the 'cuse resurrecting the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                        It's been 20 years and I still think Charles Johnson didn't cross the goal line on 5th down.
                        He didn't cross but extended the ball after he was down.

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                        I'm not sure how Colorado gets back to being good. Having the right coach would certainly help. But I don't think football is a big priority for the university and the fan base has been inconsistent at best. Maybe a fresh start in the PAC-10 with a new HC will change things. But personally there's no love lost for me and Colorado football. My visit to Folsom field was truely a miserable experience. Hope they treat fans in the PAC-10 better.
                        Yes, many folks in the Big 12 won't miss Colorado.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Michigan. Only a shell of their former self.
                          "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

Comment

In this category, I always think about Syracuse. From the late 80's -2001, they were strong. Over .500 every season with 5 10/11 win seasons and they put some good guys into the NFL. They finally perked up a little this year, but it seems like they've been in the bottom of the dumps for almost a decade.
                            I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Cade stuck around long enough to help the Bears suck for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X