Charging system problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging system problems

We have a '03 Excursion with the turbo diesel that is having some problems with the charging system.

July 2008, we replaced both of the factory batteries(both at the end of their expected life), in May 2009 one of the year old batteries would no longer hold a charge and it was replaced. June 2009, the alternator went out and we replaced it. Sept 2010, the other battery would not hold a charge and was warrantied out. Now, the other battery(the one from 5/09) and the new alternator need replaced again.

We cannot find any drains on the system. We have only left the dome light on once or twice in the last year, so that is not a problem.

What are we missing? Any advice?
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

What size alternator did you have installed? I have a 95 PSD that was having charging problems after I installed a new alternator. Come to find out the factory alternator was a bit underpowered and a mechanic recommended that I install the alternator that they put in ambulances. It cost a bit more but have not had one issue with the charging or the alt. for the last 75k miles.
    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
      What size alternator did you have installed? I have a 95 PSD that was having charging problems after I installed a new alternator. Come to find out the factory alternator was a bit underpowered and a mechanic recommended that I install the alternator that they put in ambulances. It cost a bit more but have not had one issue with the charging or the alt. for the last 75k miles.
      I will have to check the specs. It was the replacement recommended by the dealer. It is under warrranty so i can get a credit towards a different one, no?
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Do you ever have any issues with your rear wiper? Apparently they can get stuck and still be pulling current, even if you force them back into position.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
          We have a '03 Excursion with the turbo diesel that is having some problems with the charging system.

July 2008, we replaced both of the factory batteries(both at the end of their expected life), in May 2009 one of the year old batteries would no longer hold a charge and it was replaced. June 2009, the alternator went out and we replaced it. Sept 2010, the other battery would not hold a charge and was warrantied out. Now, the other battery(the one from 5/09) and the new alternator need replaced again.

We cannot find any drains on the system. We have only left the dome light on once or twice in the last year, so that is not a problem.

What are we missing? Any advice?
          Does that excursion have an external voltage regulator? (Some have the voltage regulator built into the alternator.) If so, I would suspect that it might be stuck on and, therefore, overcharging (or boiling) your batteries and burning up your alternator.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Question about a portable power source: I needed something to jump a car when necessary, so I bought a portable 12V 1000peak amp power pack.
            I wanted to try it out, but the instructions say to let it charge for a full 36 hours before using. However, the instructions also say it will charge until full, at which point the charging chucks will switch to "maintaining" cycle. When this happens, the red charging light will switch off and the orange "maintaining battery" light will flip on. I plugged it in, and after 1 min, the maintaining light switched on. The battery indicator says it is fully charged. Would I be ok to use it or should I actually wait for it to "maintain" the battery for 36 hours?

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
            X