Was that the "End" of the rivlary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was that the "End" of the rivlary?

Here's a pretty pursuasive argument that it was not.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sp...no_way/3697433

No it is already scheduled for next year.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

In the sense that it is not at the end of the year and that there is virtually nothing on the line outside of bragging rights, it has forever changed, but it will never end!
      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

The question is what happens after the contract expires following the 2011 and 2012 games? Utah has to play Utah State 2013-2015, and I doubt (hope) they do not try to schedule BOTH BYU and the Aggies each year.

Yuck!

That would leave only 1 ooc, and it might be difficult to schedule an interesting opponent for that one game.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
          there is virtually nothing on the line outside of bragging rights
          It was just like that this year and the crowd ended up on the field.

It will change (gonna be warmer), but it will continue.
          "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
          -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
          -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
            The question is what happens after the contract expires following the 2011 and 2012 games? Utah has to play Utah State 2013-2015, and I doubt (hope) they do not try to schedule BOTH BYU and the Aggies each year.

Yuck!

That would leave only 1 ooc, and it might be difficult to schedule an interesting opponent for that one game.
            Dude, you have a Pac 10 schedule, you can handle USU and BYU on your OOC sched. Do you really need an "interesting" opponent?

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
              Dude, you have a Pac 10 schedule, you can handle USU and BYU on your OOC sched. Do you really need an "interesting" opponent?
              I would say play USU every year, or play BYU every year. Not any of this two years on, two years off junk. Early returns suggest it might be that way, which I think is a mistake.

Comment

This past week convinced me the Utes should jettison all rivalries. BYU and Utah State completely off the schedule in basketball and football. There's no percentage, not enough upside in maintaining these rivalries.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  This past week convinced me the Utes should jettison all rivalries. BYU and Utah State completely off the schedule in basketball and football. There's no percentage, not enough upside in maintaining these rivalries.
                  Two questions:

1. How irrelevant would you like Utah to become within its own borders?

2. You are aware this isn't high school, and those in-state games are big moneymakers for the school, right?

Comment

This is an interesting thought but unfortunately totally unfit for the PAC, which thrives on pairings and rivalries. As you know, it is a unique conference in that regard..every team has a natural geographic rivalry. The U will not be able to co-opt any of the existing ones, and despite the discussion to the contrary, hitching a parasitic ride on Colorado's gills isn't in the U's best interest. The Buffaloes are a rotting carcass adrift in a lonely sea. The U's best chance is to migrate back to the fertile feeding grounds from whence it spawned.

Perhaps it is some sort of poetic justice that both schools be permanently attached at the hip but I think that it is in the best interest of both schools to maintain the rivalry as is. I believe that the nastiness won't subside and the bragging rights are even greater now, as the U will carry the weight of the PAC on its shoulders and the Y will bear the burden of a very risky decision to go independent. The in-state acrimony isn't going anywhere. I think it will actually get worse. From a media standpoint, the cross-sectional nature of this latest iteration will serve to increase the exposure of the rivalry.

I predict that after a few seasons, the U will petition and receive permission to play the Y in November, as per custom, and things will be even more heated than they ever were.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I can't decide whether this is funny or sad. Yikes.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

As much as you'd like the Utah move to the PAC-10 to be a complete symbol of your life's journey, it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          This is an interesting thought but unfortunately totally unfit for the PAC, which thrives on pairings and rivalries. As you know, it is a unique conference in that regard..every team has a natural geographic rivalry. The U will not be able to co-opt any of the existing ones, and despite the discussion to the contrary, hitching a parasitic ride on Colorado's gills isn't in the U's best interest. The Buffaloes are a rotting carcass adrift in a lonely sea. The U's best chance is to migrate back to the fertile feeding grounds from whence it spawned.

Perhaps it is some sort of poetic justice that both schools be permanently attached at the hip but I think that it is in the best interest of both schools to maintain the rivalry as is. I believe that the nastiness won't subside and the bragging rights are even greater now, as the U will carry the weight of the PAC on its shoulders and the Y will bear the burden of a very risky decision to go independent. The in-state acrimony isn't going anywhere. I think it will actually get worse. From a media standpoint, the cross-sectional nature of this latest iteration will serve to increase the exposure of the rivalry.

I predict that after a few seasons, the U will petition and receive permission to play the Y in November, as per custom, and things will be even more heated than they ever were.
                          I was kidding. I think Utah and BYU make each other better. But this comment, the closest thing to a positive statement about BYU I have ever made here, shouldn't be taken as an indication that I have anything but contempt for BYU as an institution. Would the Shire be interesting were it not for Mordor?

I think your comment about Colorado is very short sighted. It makes about as much sense as calling Texas a cellar dwelling Southern Division team in the Big 12, or USC a middling Pac 12 team. Yes, USC's malaise may last for half a dozen years or more. There is no reason Colorado can't become competitive again, just as USC will be dominant again. I doubt the BUffs will languish in bad to mediocre football achievement for 50 years or so like Oregon or Utah did.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I was kidding. I think Utah and BYU make each other better. But this comment, the closest thing to a positive statement about BYU I have ever made here, shouldn't be taken as an indication that I have anything but contempt for BYU as an institution. Would the Shire be interesting were it not for Mordor?

I think your comment about Colorado is very short sighted. It makes about as much sense as calling Texas a cellar dwelling Southern Division team in the Big 12, or USC a middling Pac 12 team. Yes, USC's malaise may last for half a dozen years or more. There is no reason Colorado can't become competitive again, just as USC will be dominant again. I doubt the BUffs will languish in bad to mediocre football achievement for 50 years or so like Oregon or Utah did.
                            Colorado may rise again and when it does, it will have no room for Utah on its agenda. These rivalries cannot be manufactured artificially. This weekend's game is a perfect example. If that game were against Colorado, it would have been a close win. Against BYU, it is another chapter in the continuing lore. You cannot talk about this weekend's game without bringing up previous games from years past. My point was that the U and the Y should continue to embrace the rivalry despite new conference alignments. I didnt know you were kidding because you are generally super serious and sometimes a little bit of a lovable windbag, to be honest.

ps dont talk sh** about the Shire. The Shire is fine all by itself. It will be Spring soon in the Shire. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields. And eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?

And don't even get me started on Rosie Cotton...I heard she isn't going to YW anymore and is rebelling now that her dad is a Bishop.....rowrrr!
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I completely disagree. Rivalries are part of the charm of college sports. Whether we like it or not, the identities of both BYU and Utah are in a large part in how they compare to each other.

I think throwing that away would be like disowning a brother. I have no doubt that while the September rivalry game will be a little less intense, the intensity will still be there.

Comment

Working...
                              X