Utah-SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah-SDSU

This is coming out late this week. Getting back from Chicago on Wednesday really compressed my week.

Overview

Utah enters the game reeling, losing the last 2 games by a 75-10 margin. Their last 2 game losing streak was 2007 and the last 3 game losing streak was in 2005. Utah will be searching for some answers as they attempt to right the ship on their season.

San Diego State scored 2 late touchdowns to tighten the score in their 35-30 loss to TCU. They have lost 3 games by a total of 11 points and are 4-0 at home this season.

Utah’s Offense vs. SDSU's Defense

Passing Game

3 consecutive poor performances has Jordan Wynn on the hot seat in the eyes of Utah fans. Teams are taking away the crossing routes that are a staple to the Utah attack and Wynn has not adjusted very well. The happy feet that were present early in the season have returned the last 2 weeks. The question is what adjustments will be made. In the ND game, receivers were getting open, but Wynn either did not see them in progression or hesitated to deliver the ball resulting in another interception and multiple incompletions.

San Diego State is ranked 13th nationally in Pass Defense efficiency. They have garnered 9 INT's on the season. They run Rocky Long's 3-3-5 and are led by their senior safties, Andrew Preston(2 INT's) and Darryn Lewis(2 INTs). The Aztecs are second in the conference with 24 sacks led by OLB Miles Burris with 8.0.

If Wynn struggles out of the gate, do not be surprised to see Terrance Cain in the game early this week.

Rocky Long likes to blitz from any position, any situation, and any place on the field. This may play into Utah's hands if they can recognize and pick up the pressure. Utah has struggled against zone coverage this year, but have excelled when their receivers can match up in man to man and make a play with athleticism.

Advantage SDSU

Running Game

Matt Asiata had a solid game against the Irish with 48 yards on 13 carries, however Eddie Wide had his worst game of the year gaining only 21 yards on 8 carries. Utah again failed to establish a running game against a team that had been gashed frequently through the year.

The Aztecs are susceptible to the run giving up 149.4 yards/game which ranks 55th nationally. The front 3 are undersized averaging 271 pounds. The DLine is led by Sr. DE Ernie Lawson.

The Aztecs have shown a weakness against a straight ahead running attack. Utah has an advantage here, but it will be interesting to see if they try to exploit it.

Advantage Utah

Utah’s Defense vs. SDSU's Offense

Passing Game

The Ute secondary will face their stiffest challenge to date. Notre Dame did not gain many yards in the air, but they were able exploit the secondary in the red zone, where the scored 3 TD's through the air. TCU and ND have taken advantage of Brian Blechen's aggressiveness with the play action pass, then beating him easily over the top. The corner's played better, keeping the receiver's in front of them.

QB Ryan Lindley is a high risk, high reward player. He is 167-314(53.2%) for conference high 2688 yards. He has 18 TD's and 11 INT's. The Aztecs average a whooping 16.1 yards per reception. This is due to the play of the all conference tandem of Vincent Brown(48-929, 5 TD's) and DeMarco Sampson (47-893, 6 TD's) who both average over 19 yards a reception. The Aztec's will throw long early, often, and without conscious or remorse.

The quick strike component of the Aztecs is a major concern for the Utes as it can offset any attempts to grind the clock.

Advantage SDSU

Running Game

The Utah defense has continued to be solid against the run giving up 112.6 yards/game which ranks 14th nationally. Chad Manis is listed as starter in the 2 deep this week, but JJ Williams was lost for the rest of the season after reinjuring his foot against the Irish.

SDSU tout one of the best freshman RB's in the nation with Ronnie Hillman(201-1098, 12 TD's). He has home run speed unlike any back that the Utes have faced this season. However, he has been contained several times this season, rushing for less than 70 yards in 5 games. Outside of Hillman, there is little running threat to address, which is reflected in their 64th National Ranking(150.9 yards/game).

Utah should be able to make the Hillman work for any yards he gets, and if they can keep him from taking a long run to the house, they should be able to neutralize the rushing attack of the Aztec's.

Advantage Utah

Special Teams

Special teams were disasterous for the Ute's last week, basically hand wrapping 14 points to the Irish on a blocked punt and a fumble on a kickoff. These 2 plays doomed the Ute's and until they can show that the punt protection team has figured out their issues, they are a supreme liability.

Advantage SDSU

Final Analysis

On paper, this is an even matchup. However, both teams are coming in on opposite trajectories. The Aztec's are in the middle of their finest season in over a decade, and the Utes are limping in following their 2 worst games in the last 4 years. Serious questions surround the offense and the defensive secondary. If Utah cannot muster up a better effort offensively, this one could get ugly.

Utah 14 SDSU 21
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

I gotta admit, this weeks JIE game preview made me kind of sad....

Comment

These babies are kinda losing their luster but then JIC drops the objectivity bomb. bam!
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

I hate waiting for 8 pm starts
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Wow, the fog is thick at the stadium

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Raining like crazy. Omen?

Comment

Less than 5k in the stands. Easy.

Good thing they are looking for SDSU to fill them up for the Poinsettia Bowl. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                Raining like crazy. Omen?
                If we decide to use our size and run inside, it is to our advantage this week. How many times has SDSU played in bad weather the last 2 years? For better or worse, this is our 3rd game in the rain.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                  If we decide to use our size and run inside, it is to our advantage this week. How many times has SDSU played in bad weather the last 2 years? For better or worse, this is our 3rd game in the rain.
                  Greater chance of good weather is the only thing I like about the timing of the rivalry game now.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

I am still trying to figure out Christian Fucking Cox in coverage.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Wow, they're moving.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Aztecs are moving at will.

Comment

Defense looks like the keystone cops.

Comment

We better find some pressure or this gets ugly.

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Uh oh.

7-0, Aztecs, scoring in less than two minutes. That was WAY too easy.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                              X