Brigham Young University Cougars against University of New Mexico Lobos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brigham Young University Cougars against University of New Mexico Lobos

What are the compelling storylines for this otherwise moribund game? Should we invent some to pass the time this week?

Win/Loss: There is absolutely zero drama surrounding the final outcome. It is a given that BYU will pound the Lobos into the ground, dedicating the win to and exacting some revenge for Carlee Payne in the process (you go, girl!).

In-state rivalry: Utah beat New Mexico by 42 points. That could be something. Does BYU beat New Mexico by more than 42 points? I don't think so, but it is possible, I suppose.

Attendance: How many fans show up to watch BYU's final home game? I have been really impressed by the attendance this year, esp given the general lack of compelling opponents at home and the abysmal start to the season. I am going to go out on a relatively safe limb and predict that BYU continues the tradition of solid home attendance.....60,000 fans show up.

The Curious Case of Jake Heaps: he continues his upward growth pattern this Saturday. Bronco (or Anae) showed a willingness to open it up against CSU. Jake took to the air in a big way and had a really strong outing (granted against awful competition). Look for more of the same this week against an even worse defense. Jake cuts loose again for at least 3 TD passes and zero INTs.

Defense: Minimum 2 turnovers. Again, playing against a lousy team, but the defense still has to do its job. Since Bronco took over, these guys have been playing with much more energy and efficiency. That being said, BYU will still give up a couple of passes over the middle for 25+ yards.

Bowl Eligibility: BYU locks into a spot in the New Mexico Bowl with this win. But look for Vegas Bowl reps to be not-so-secretly hoping that BYU beats Utah next weekend, thereby making BYU the logical choice if TCU goes to a BCS bowl. Utah would wind up where? New Mexico or that one in Idaho?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Bowl Eligibility: BYU locks into a spot in the New Mexico Bowl with this win. But look for Vegas Bowl reps to be not-so-secretly hoping that BYU beats Utah next weekend, thereby making BYU the logical choice if TCU goes to a BCS bowl. Utah would wind up where? New Mexico or that one in Idaho?
    Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth against the Army Black Knights! EVERYBODY RAISE YOUR HANDS AND SAY YEAH IF YOUR ALMA MATER IS ALREADY BOWL ELGIBLE AND WON ON SATURDAY!!!!

GOATNAPPER: ARMS IN THE AIR AND SAYS "YEAH!"
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth against the Army Black Knights! EVERYBODY RAISE YOUR HANDS AND SAY YEAH IF YOUR ALMA MATER IS ALREADY BOWL ELGIBLE AND WON ON SATURDAY!!!!

GOATNAPPER: ARMS IN THE AIR AND SAYS "YEAH!"
      YEAH! War. Damn. Eagle. (OK, they're technically my grad school).

DDD, you'll be pleased to know I'll be attending the BYU/New Mexico game cheering on the stalwart men and true, and not down at the Utah/SDSU game. It appears my hypocrisy knows some boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
        Last time my Alma Mater was bowl elgible J. Parker missed a 28 yard chip shot on the next to last play and Auburn, led by Dameyune Craig, escaped with a 3 point victory over Army in the Independence Bowl.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Hey, soldiers, this thread is about the titanic clash of Cougs and Lobos (although I'm pleased there's much joy on the Hudson). As for the subject at hand, I'm hoping for the continuing rise in Jake's confidence, a little more emphasis on the TE spot, and a final tune up before the Utah game as BYU's Phoenix-like rise continues.

And I understand from Carlee's parents that BYU's final touchdown in the 4th quarter will be a handoff to Ms. Payne for an off tackle dive, with Matt Reynolds taking out the Lobo LB Lambert.

Comment

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post

DDD, you'll be pleased to know I'll be attending the BYU/New Mexico game cheering on the stalwart men and true, and not down at the Utah/SDSU game. It appears my hypocrisy knows some boundaries.
            I was only teasing, I wasnt really going to ever kick your shins or twist your nipples.

Although you get some bonus points for referring to yourself as part of the "stalwart men and true," not this sucka fool "loyal strong and true" crap.

I will not be able to attend the game. I will be out of town.I will just watch it on ESPN, ABC, or whatever national outlet is televising this one.....

sigpic

Comment

According to GW the new Mexico bowl getslast pick and there probably won't be a mwc team for them. I think it would be cool to play army.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                Hey, soldiers, this thread is about the titanic clash of Cougs and Lobos (although I'm pleased there's much joy on the Hudson). As for the subject at hand, I'm hoping for the continuing rise in Jake's confidence, a little more emphasis on the TE spot, and a final tune up before the Utah game as BYU's Phoenix-like rise continues.

And I understand from Carlee's parents that BYU's final touchdown in the 4th quarter will be a handoff to Ms. Payne for an off tackle dive, with Matt Reynolds taking out the Lobo LB Lambert.
                Along those lines, 2 more thoughts:

1. Brian Kariya....like the bizarre ending of St. Elsewhere or the season-nullifying Bobby Ewing car accident, is Kariya's recent surge the real thing or is it nothing more than a huge lump of iron pyrite? Part of me wants to believe that he is showing flashes of potential to be a Mini-Denny-Pitty type player, much like we saw him against Oklahoma in the BLUE RIVER SHOOTouT, but the realist in me expects to wake up the day after the Utah game staring blankly into an upside down slow globe while drool runs down my cheek.

2. Carlee Payne in-game promotion: BYU-themed hair braids for everyone in attendance. The Lobo kick returners will be distracted as 64,000 strong yank on each other's bright blue keratin-infused mammalian cranial appendages. If the Lobo coaches complain, we can collectively deny everything.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
                  According to GW the new Mexico bowl getslast pick and there probably won't be a mwc team for them. I think it would be cool to play army.
                  Because you are a smelly, hairy euro that probably squats when he pees I will forvige you for spelling ARMY with a lower case a. However, if it happens again I will unmercifully tape your buns together.

You have been warned and now somebody get my damn accordian, it is bow hunting season for Elk!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Wow the lined opened at 27 and has gone up to 28.

Utah is a 2.5 favorite over SDSU. I will have to consult with SU to see how quickly the line has moved one way or the other.
                    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 11-15-2010, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      Wow the lined opened at 27 and has gone up to 28.
                      I am sure SeattleUte is monitoring the line in real-time.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        I am sure SeattleUte is monitoring the line in real-time.
                        SeattleUte's line about rethinking the superiority of the scientific method over Christianity had to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on CUF. I used it numerous times in my EQ lesson on Sunday!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          SeattleUte's line about rethinking the superiority of the scientific method over Christianity had to be one of the funniest things I have ever read on CUF. I used it numerous times in my EQ lesson on Sunday!
                          yeah it was a true lol rather than just token lol in type only.
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I think NM is going to have a good game against us... and by good game I mean 2 scores. Fortunately, we're gonna have 7 or 8 scores.

In other news, SDSU is gonna put a whippin on the Utes. Sorry, just being honest.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              yeah it was a true lol rather than just token lol in type only.
                              You know I thought of you during the worldwide leadership training Saturday morning. There was this cheesy mock ward council and I thought that cr33kster would be the CUF Bishop with Indy Coug and LAUte as his counselors. I also think triple d would be the chubby Latino kid with the cheesy smile at Exec Sec/Ward Clerk, but I digress. I would offer that I love the flystripper family and would be willing to visit them because he and I have a mutual interest in man made secondary mammory glands. I would pick up a cheap copy of "Big Ums" and swing on by to see if there was any way I could help them to feel of the love the ward had for them. Then LA and Indy would give big cheesy smiles and nod at the Bishop while the chubby Latino kid wrote it all down. I then got bored and went to my blackberry.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X