The Mark Lyons Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mark Lyons Thread

Is there a bigger knucklehead on the radio than Mark Lyons? Seriously, how does this guy keep his job year after year? I feel sorry for Wrubell having to endure this every week.

I was listening to the post-game today in my car and they had an exchange that went something like this (I swear I am not making this up):

Wrubell: Quite a few people have e-mailed us after the game asking about the jerseys worn by Colorado State today. They were pumpkin and green throwback jerseys honoring the old Colorado State teams when they were called the Aggies.
    Lyons: Aggies? Hmmm... I don't think they were ever called the Aggies.
    Wrubell: Yes, I believe they were the Colorado A&M Aggies.
    Lyons: No, I think that was Texas A&M.
    Wrubell: Uh... (can't remember exactly how he responded - he was probably rendered speechless at this point)
    Lyons: I lived in Colorado back in 1954 when I was a tiny, tiny kid. And I don't remember them being called Aggies.

OK, Mark. Maybe you are right. Maybe the fine folks who run CSU don't know what they used to be called and just made up that whole "AGGIE" thing for no reason.

http://coloradoaggies.com/

(post your favorite Mark Lyons stories here)
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Same radio show someone emailed in about Riley moving to safety and Greg said if Jake keeps it up you would definitely need to consider it. Lyons chirps in and says no way Riley deserves a shot no matter what Jake does this year. Greg said if that is the case then Lark and Munns deserve a shot as well and Lyons said absolutely not that Heaps is clearly better.

Greg goes on about how you can see that Heaps is better than Riley and then asks Mark what do you do with Lark if Jake and Riley are battling for the qb job?

Mark: "Lark becomes Jake Heaps backup."
    Greg: "Who is Rileys backup?"
    Mark: "You find a quarterback with a similar skill set maybe the jc ranks"
    Greg: "So you have two different quarterbacks that run completely different systems?"
    Mark: "Lark is the back up for the Heaps style of qb and then you find a backup for Rileys style"

Greg just basically stopped right there and changed the topic.
    *Banned*

Comment

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showthread.php?t=31959

And there was this during the Nevada game:

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...&postcount=237

Comment

I like Mark Lyons. I think he's funny.

I keep wondering if Wrubell or Harmon might be a member of CUF. Pretty sure Lyons wouldn't know how to get online.
        That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Is there a bigger knucklehead on the radio than Mark Lyons? Seriously, how does this guy keep his job year after year? I feel sorry for Wrubell having to endure this every week.

I was listening to the post-game today in my car and they had an exchange that went something like this (I swear I am not making this up):

Wrubell: Quite a few people have e-mailed us after the game asking about the jerseys worn by Colorado State today. They were pumpkin and green throwback jerseys honoring the old Colorado State teams when they were called the Aggies.
          Lyons: Aggies? Hmmm... I don't think they were ever called the Aggies.
          Wrubell: Yes, I believe they were the Colorado A&M Aggies.
          Lyons: No, I think that was Texas A&M.
          Wrubell: Uh... (can't remember exactly how he responded - he was probably rendered speechless at this point)
          Lyons: I lived in Colorado back in 1954 when I was a tiny, tiny kid. And I don't remember them being called Aggies.

OK, Mark. Maybe you are right. Maybe the fine folks who run CSU don't know what they used to be called and just made up that whole "AGGIE" thing for no reason.

http://coloradoaggies.com/

(post your favorite Mark Lyons stories here)
          Lyons should be put out to pasture. But he does provide comic relief. You couldn't create a caricature that's a bigger homer or defender of all coaches. Drives Wrubell nuts sometimes.

Comment

This topic makes me think back to when Lyons was the sane member of the BYU booth team.

Comment

I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that Wrubell is not easy to work with, so maybe they keep Lyons because he's willing to do a job nobody else wants to do.
              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                I've heard unsubstantiated rumors that Wrubell is not easy to work with, so maybe they keep Lyons because he's willing to do a job nobody else wants to do.
                I imagine that if someone had ear plugs working with Wrubell could be handled.

"SECOND DOWN AND 7 FROM THE 48 YARD LINE. AND BYU RUNS UP THE MIDDLE FOR 4 YARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A PLAY SETTING UP A 3RD DOWN repeat for 4 hours.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  I imagine that if someone had ear plugs working with Wrubell could be handled.

"SECOND DOWN AND 7 FROM THE 48 YARD LINE. AND BYU RUNS UP THE MIDDLE FOR 4 YARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A PLAY SETTING UP A 3RD DOWN repeat for 4 hours.
                  I ended up turning my radio way down yesterday. He almost blew my speakers out on my laptop after the flea flicker.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    I ended up turning my radio way down yesterday. He almost blew my speakers out on my laptop after the flea flicker.
                    Wrubell also called the flea flicker immediately before it happened. I'm sure he had inside info, of course, but it was pretty cool that he said "We could see a flea flicker here early" immediately before they threw the flea flicker.
                    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                      Wrubell also called the flea flicker immediately before it happened. I'm sure he had inside info, of course, but it was pretty cool that he said "We could see a flea flicker here early" immediately before they threw the flea flicker.
                      He did didn't he? Props Wrubell.
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

I think all home team radio guys are similar. Its hard to not be that involved with a team and not show some bias.

I remember listening to Utah vs Pitt when the announcer says:

"3rd and 7, Lewis takes the hand off, and he goes nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The utes absolutely bottled him up stuffing that rushing attempt. Brings up
                        4th and 2."

5 yards is bottling someone up.
                        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          I think all home team radio guys are similar. Its hard to not be that involved with a team and not show some bias.

I remember listening to Utah vs Pitt when the announcer says:

"3rd and 7, Lewis takes the hand off, and he goes nowhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The utes absolutely bottled him up stuffing that rushing attempt. Brings up
                          4th and 2."

5 yards is bottling someone up.
                          Well when you're facing the best RB in the country who will be a 1st round draft pick, holding him to 5 yards a carry is bottling him up.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            He did didn't he? Props Wrubell.
                            He did. I was pretty impressed. I had just got done shredding a couple of teams in my flag football league and I was on my way home to watch the Utah/ND game and was listening to ksl and Wrubell said about 5 seconds before the play happened that we could see a flea-flicker right here. Sure enough we did and BYU scored.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                              He did. I was pretty impressed. I had just got done shredding a couple of teams in my flag football league and I was on my way home to watch the Utah/ND game and was listening to ksl and Wrubell said about 5 seconds before the play happened that we could see a flea-flicker right here. Sure enough we did and BYU scored.
                              Hot Lunch is back folks!!! I knew you still had some of that BYU blood in your veins. This makes me so happy.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X