QB Derby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Derby

Who wins the QB competition this spring?
    Jake Heaps
    81.08%
    Riley Nelson
    5.41%
    James Lark
    5.41%
    Jason Munns
    8.11%
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

A JC transfer to be named later.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
      Is the victory defined as the guy who ends up with the most reps, or the one that ends up holding onto the special place in Bronco's heart?

Comment

Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
        Is the victory defined as the guy who ends up with the most reps, or the one that ends up holding onto the special place in Bronco's heart?
        Cause from what Bronco said today, he is still smitten with Riles.

I thought, "Oh brother."

Comment

Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post

Comment

My crack about a JC transfer aside.....I'm happy with Heaps at this moment. However, it wasn't long ago most (Junkie being a notable exception) were wondering if Jake was a flash in the pan. Dial up a couple of crappy teams and Jake is now rolling. Reminds me of Jordan Wynn.

I'm still hesitant to anoint Jake at this point. There's no reason to expect he will not destroy an incredibly horrible NM next week. However, it will be interesting to see what happens when he plays Utah. Is his current progress just a reflection on the competition or is it real progress? If Jake tanks against Utah my prediction is that he will need to earn the position in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              If Jake tanks against Utah my prediction is that he will need to earn the position in the spring.
              And what if he doesn't? If he continues to look good (win or lose) against Utah and in a bowl, should the position be up for grabs?
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

I voted for Riley Nelson. I can't imagine what another full year of life experience will bring him in terms of his ability on the football field.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                  And what if he doesn't? If he continues to look good (win or lose) against Utah and in a bowl, should the position be up for grabs?
                  If he does well against Utah I think it seals his position as the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                    My crack about a JC transfer aside.....I'm happy with Heaps at this moment. However, it wasn't long ago most (Junkie being a notable exception) were wondering if Jake was a flash in the pan. Dial up a couple of crappy teams and Jake is now rolling. Reminds me of Jordan Wynn.

I'm still hesitant to anoint Jake at this point. There's no reason to expect he will not destroy an incredibly horrible NM next week. However, it will be interesting to see what happens when he plays Utah. Is his current progress just a reflection on the competition or is it real progress? If Jake tanks against Utah my prediction is that he will need to earn the position in the spring.
                    I'm ready. He looked awful the first eight games and it's hard to trust the hype machine that gave us brian mitchells future, hr waiting to happen , thuunder and lightning, etc. I hope you guys can forgive me. I expect a few more bumpsbut the kids playing great and clearly has ton of potential .I'm all in.

Comment

I voted for Riley Nelson. I can't imagine what another full year of life experience will bring him in terms of his ability on the football field.
                      I'm sure he rehabs from his injury harder and better than any other previous player. That kind of thing is invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        I'm ready. He looked awful the first eight games and it's hard to trust the hype machine that gave us brian mitchells future, hr waiting to happen , thuunder and lightning, etc. I hope you guys can forgive me. I expect a few more bumpsbut the kids playing great and clearly has ton of potential .I'm all in.
                        I am with you. The first time I saw him play I thought: "I don't know how good a qb this kid is going to be, but he already throws the ball better than 90% of D1 qbs." I think the mental game is catching on and the kid has incredible confidence. I think he is going to be great and a potential AA his junior and senior years.

Saying that it won't bother me if Bronco opens up the qb position during spring ball. The other qbs just are not as good. There is also nothing wrong with expecting players to step up in more ways than one. Jake is still an 18 year old who is going to be expected to lead a team next year where many of the other players are going to be up to 5-6 years older than him. There is nothing wrong with putting some pressure on him to rise to that challenge. I think he and the program would benefit from it.
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Does anyone think Bronco talking about opening up the QB competition in the spring, seemingly at random yesterday, means that Jake is wanting/being pushed to a mission?
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

For a guy who specializes in coach-speak, Bronco has taken the wrong approach to answering questions about this.

There's an obvious coach-y response and it's also the right response:

"Right now we're focused on helping Jake be a better QB and giving him the help he needs to win and we're also working with Riley to make sure he gets healthy. We have too much going on right now in the 2010 football season to be thinking about spring practices and the 2011 depth chart right now."
                            Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              Does anyone think Bronco talking about opening up the QB competition in the spring, seemingly at random yesterday, means that Jake is wanting/being pushed to a mission?
                              Heaven forbid.

Comment

Working...
                              X