Utah Football at a Crossroads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Football at a Crossroads

I believe that Utah Football may be at a crossroads this very week. Do you?

TCU was our worst home loss in who knows how long. I am hoping it becomes a watershed moment not just a woodshed moment.

We all know how Kyle responded to the 27-0 loss at UNLV in 2007. That lifted us as a program from good to great. The next step to take, in my opinion is from great program to elite program.

What better time to begin a journey from great to elite, than against Notre Dame, the season before entrance to the PAC-12.

I am very interested to see how Kyle responds this week.

Please, Utah Fans only.
    Yes.
    33.33%
    No.
    66.67%

Originally posted by wally View Post
    I believe that Utah Football may be at a crossroads this very week. Do you?

TCU was our worst home loss in who knows how long. I am hoping it becomes a watershed moment not just a woodshed moment.

We all know how Kyle responded to the 27-0 loss at UNLV in 2007. That lifted us as a program from good to great. The next step to take, in my opinion is from great program to elite program.

What better time to begin a journey from great to elite, than against Notre Dame, the season before entrance to the PAC-12.

I am very interested to see how Kyle responds this week.

Please, Utah Fans only.
    I don't think so.

I think we have to see what happens in Pac 12 year one. If Utah has a 7-5 season and is 6-3 or 5-4 in conference, then I think you'll see more of a crossroads moment, because then we'll know what the program is up against and what it will take to get from top 5 non-BCS to top of the Pac 12.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

I think Utah football is a priority with the university. They support the program at all levels and have a large budget (considering the resources of the institution) dedicated to the programs success.

I think Kyle is a great coach and that he oversees the football program as well as anyone could. We are lucky to have him.

In my opinion, in order for the utes to achieve more than they have already... they need to recruit at the very highest levels.

I don't know if that is going to be possible.
      "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
      -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
      -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog View Post
        I think Utah football is a priority with the university. They support the program at all levels and have a large budget (considering the resources of the institution) dedicated to the programs success.

I think Kyle is a great coach and that he oversees the football program as well as anyone could. We are lucky to have him.

In my opinion, in order for the utes to achieve more than they have already... they need to recruit at the very highest levels.

I don't know if that is going to be possible.
        Every once in awhile, your team steps in front of a train. I think the Utes will be fine. short-term, long-term, whatever. Not much is more resilient than 18-22 year-olds.
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Wow, wally. You're kind of a drama queen.

Comment

I kind of resent that you asking for Utah fans only. You aren't great at ally building.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Not a Utah fan but not really a BYU fan either. However, I can offer my perspective as a fan of a once elite program; a program that's trying to return to that level - Nebraska.

As DrumNFeather suggests, the real test will be when the Ute's start playing and potentially winning the PAC-10. And they are entering the PAC-10 at an opportunistic time with the only elite team (USC) going on probation. Since I don't follow the PAC-10 too close, not sure how Utah stacks up against Oregon and UCLA. Of course, Oregon is having a great season but I would be surprised if the talent gap is that large between Oregon and Utah. UCLA probably has the edge in talent but I'm not sold on the Bruins coaching so I think Utah measures up.

Recruiting will also play a big part as DevilDog indicates. Not sure how Utah's facilities measure up to the rest of the PAC-10 but hopefully they are adequate or the school is committed to improvement. Beside facilities, the only thing a program can control is coaching. It's not just recruiting, it's also player development. And I think Utah is doing a decent job in developing players.

What will get Utah over the top is to beat an Ohio St. or Penn St. in the Rose Bowl or perhaps even play in the BCS CG. Continue to build on the winning tradition and do it in a BCS conference. In short...continued winning. That will open the program to more elite recruits.

That is how Nebraska does it. Think about it, why would any player want to spend 4-5 years in Lincoln, Nebraska? SLC has so many advantages. But Nebraska has a tradition of winning, great fan support, and excellent facilities. Although the Cornhuskers don't get the same level of talent as Texas and Oklahoma, they try to maximize and develop the talent they do sign.

Oh, and a win against the Fighting Irish will help Utah's cause. But unfortunatley that's not too much of a statement this weekend due to Notre Dame losing to Navy and Tulsa.
              Last edited by Paperback Writer; 11-12-2010, 09:57 AM.
              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
              X