Ute Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ute Fans

The stories I am hearing on the radio this morning are that ute fans weren't just booing but were verbally berating the ute players with f-bombs and every other word in the book. And it wasn't an isolated incident. Did any of you in attendance witness what DJ is talking about?

Appaently one fan kept teliling Wynn to put "fear" or "coward" on his jersey. I'm not so concerned about the one fan, I'm puzzled why it was joined by laughter and no one put a stop to it.
    Last edited by Coach McGuirk; 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM.

Cain or Wynn? It doesn't make sense that the fan was heckling Cain.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Cain or Wynn? It doesn't make sense that the fan was heckling Cain.

sorry, yes Wynn.

Comment

I'd love to pile on Ute fans here, but (as has been universally acknowledged) BYU has a similar subset of fans, although thankfully they usually aren't under the influence of Demon Rum. The overused but still true example is the booing of Robbie Bosco in the first half of the AFA game in '85. Bosco had led BYU to the national championship but had thrown 3 (?) picks against top ten (I think they were, anyway) Air Force. He brought BYU back to win.

Although I wouldn't mind if they don't, Utah will bounce back nicely against the Irish, and the boo birds will assume it was because Whittingham and Wynn began doing what the drunks had counseled.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I'd love to pile on Ute fans here, but (as has been universally acknowledged) BYU has a similar subset of fans, although thankfully they usually aren't under the influence of Demon Rum. The overused but still true example is the booing of Robbie Bosco in the first half of the AFA game in '85. Bosco had led BYU to the national championship but had thrown 3 (?) picks against top ten (I think they were, anyway) Air Force. He brought BYU back to win.

Although I wouldn't mind if they don't, Utah will bounce back nicely against the Irish, and the boo birds will assume it was because Whittingham and Wynn began doing what the drunks had counseled.

For sure. I spend much of my time at BYU games telling fans to shut up. Mostly I am trying to find a basis for these stories to be on the radio being reported. Was it that bad, or are they making a stink.

Comment

I only heard booing from where I sat, and they were immedialtely drowned out by fans encouraging the team.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
              I only heard booing from where I sat, and they were immedialtely drowned out by fans encouraging the team.
              Trust me the booing was very evident you could hear the whole crowd on TV and on the radio. It seemed to be specifically intended for Jordan Wynn.

The other stuff obviously I have no clue about but the booing was heard very clearly.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                Trust me the booing was very evident you could hear the whole crowd on TV and on the radio. It seemed to be specifically intended for Jordan Wynn.

The other stuff obviously I have no clue about but the booing was heard very clearly.
                There was booing on 3 specific plays that I recall, When Utah punted on the 48 yardline with about 2 minutes left in the half. (Absolutely the right call, 2 minutes was enough time for TCU to score twice.)

Second was after the pick right after half, and third when Wynn came back onto the field right after the pick.

The loudest boos were when Wynn came back onto the field, which were drown finally by the cheering from the NEZ.

Regardless if they were intended for Wynn(they were BTW, anyone who says different is a moron), the players felt that they were directed at the players. Zane Taylor said as much after the game.
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                  There was booing on 3 specific plays that I recall, When Utah punted on the 48 yardline with about 2 minutes left in the half. (Absolutely the right call, 2 minutes was enough time for TCU to score twice.)

Second was after the pick right after half, and third when Wynn came back onto the field right after the pick.

The loudest boos were when Wynn came back onto the field, which were drown finally by the cheering from the NEZ.

Regardless if they were intended for Wynn(they were BTW, anyone who says different is a moron), the players felt that they were directed at the players. Zane Taylor said as much after the game.
                  Obviously the coaches watched BYU game film of how to end a first half.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    Obviously the coaches watched BYU game film of how to end a first half.
                    I think that those who were booing hadn't watched the first 28 minutes of the game, or they had dyslexia and thought we were winning instead.
                    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                      I think that those who were booing hadn't watched the first 28 minutes of the game, or they had dyslexia and thought we were winning instead.
                      Fans booed during the Oregon St. game in 2008...a lot of people in that stadium just don't get it.
                      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                        Fans booed during the Oregon St. game in 2008...a lot of people in that stadium just don't get it.
                        I think this is indicative of a "new" fan base. To use SU's favorite snapshot in time reference, the Utes' recent success has brought in an influx of fans that didn't weather the ugly years. This is why I don't begrudge LAUte much for relishing in the Pac 10 and other notable accomplishments. SU however can go sit on a tack.

Conversely, I am surprised at how quickly the fans seem to have abandoned (too strong?) the Utes at the HC, a team with a long winning tradition.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                          sorry, yes Wynn.
                          Wynn is in a tough spot. He's a good QB that has padded his stats against lesser competition. Ute fans think he's the second coming of Alex Smith, when in fact he's merely another good QB. He finally gets to play against a top pass defense in TCU and absolutely gets slaughtered. The expectations for him were just too high.

This loss was probably a good thing for Ute fans. It puts things back into perspective, which is a pretty darn good perspective as this Utah team is a legit top 25 team, just not top 10.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Wynn is only a sophomore. He's an above-average QB, but will be prone to ups and downs given his youth.

That said, he sucks.
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              Wynn is in a tough spot. He's a good QB that has padded his stats against lesser competition. Ute fans think he's the second coming of Alex Smith, when in fact he's merely another good QB. He finally gets to play against a top pass defense in TCU and absolutely gets slaughtered. The expectations for him were just too high.

This loss was probably a good thing for Ute fans. It puts things back into perspective, which is a pretty darn good perspective as this Utah team is a legit top 25 team, just not top 10.
                              Could a Ute fan correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't one of your core attributes that you had learned vicariously through the BYU to not overhype your own overrated teams? Certainly there had to be some indicators that you really were not as good as you thought you were and as such you would not emotionally expose yourself to the vaunted BYU fanbase meltdowns you loved and immortalized so much!

Quick Ute fans: Tell us your favorite Laval from Laverkin call in whine story that Lavell Edwards had to endure!

I believe it was the "Travelling Willbury's" who taught us all "aaaah the sweet smell of success!" Success can be intoxicating. I still remember my pain when I left LES last year when TCU did the same thing to BYU. I remember the pains of idiocy feeling that I let myself think, We could really win this baby! Yet, there I was against Nevada this year...You, I and the rest of us will never learn. Success can be so intoxicating!
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X