Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/7/2010 Coaches Poll -- TCU passes Boise, Utah is #15

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/polls?poll=3

I thought we would fall to #20 or so. Losses in the middle of the pack helped lesson the descent.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

15 is about right for Utah - you shouldn't drop more than 10 spots after losing to a top 3 football team - blowout at home notwithstanding.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Utah stayed higher than I would have guessed. Utah/Boise Poinsettia Bowl? That could be a good game.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

I'm a little surprised that Stanford isn't higher than #9, Oregon is the fairly overwhelming favorite (50 out of 59 first place votes) and their only loss. I would expect more coaches to rank them #5/6.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            Utah stayed higher than I would have guessed. Utah/Boise Poinsettia Bowl? That could be a good game.
            IIRC Navy is locked into the Poinsettia Bowl this year. THere may be some wiggle though.
            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Razor thin lead for TCU over Boise 1340-1330, it will come down to voter manipulation at the end of the year, it will be interesting to see how many WAC/MWC coaches put their respective team at #1 in the last poll.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                Good for all you Utah haters!
                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                  IIRC Navy is locked into the Poinsettia Bowl this year. THere may be some wiggle though.
                  I have no idea, I was just thinking it worked for the TCU/BSU matchup a couple years ago.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Oklahoma's loss also helped as did Arizona. Plus, I think the voters give UTES credit for being talented enough to be top 15 (I also figured top 20, so 15 seems like a blessing). Utah has not been discredited, just shown that they were ranked too high. If the UTES win out convincingly, they can work their way back up to top 10.

Comment

Wonder where tcu will end up in bcs standings later today.

Comment

Both Auburn and TCU jump Boise in the AP, Utah is #15:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/polls?poll=1

I'm not close enough to the Boise fanbase to get a sense of their reaction, but I'm sure there's a ton of frustration there. Imagine the BYU or Utah fan reaction if we were in their shoes. I go back and forth on the call for a playoff, but a playoff would help ease the angst of Boise/TCU/Utah/BYU/<insert non-AQ school> fans at times like this.

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post

I'm not close enough to the Boise fanbase to get a sense of their reaction, but I'm sure there's a ton of frustration there. Imagine the BYU or Utah fan reaction if we were in their shoes. I go back and forth on the call for a playoff, but a playoff would help ease the angst of Boise/TCU/Utah/BYU/<insert non-AQ school> fans at times like this.
                          Interesting that Boise State gets 7 Number One votes as opposed to only 2 each for TCU and Auburn, but is still behind them.

That means some voters have Boise ranked down quite a way in the polls.

With apologies to HFNW, I think I would give TCU my #1 ranking at this point. Oregon and Auburn have had some pretty poor defensive performances this season. I think TCU is the most complete team on both sides of the football.

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post

It was only a matter of time before it happened. With the quality win of TCU and the media hype of Cam Newton and Auburn, it does not surprise me a bit.
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                              It was only a matter of time before it happened. With the quality win of TCU and the media hype of Cam Newton and Auburn, it does not surprise me a bit.
                              You have to wonder if it comes down to TCU and Boise in the NC game if the most fair way to decide is based on the head-to-head bowl game matchup last season and put Boise ahead of TCU. Yeah, it was last season. But neither team has changed their core personnel very much and maybe that's the fairest way to decide.

Of course, if you're going to go to last season, maybe putting Boise State ahead of Oregon also makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X