Non-BCS team in the title game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-BCS team in the title game?

This video is currently on the front page of ESPN.com.

[ame="http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5756688"]The Experts: Non-BCS Team In Title Game - ESPN Video - ESPN[/ame]

The main argument discussed here is SOS, which they claim really hurts Utah. But how about comparing Boise State's schedule to Utah's? Is there a huge difference SOS wise? I guess the only difference is the fact they were ranked highly early on and Utah started the season unranked. So, If Utah or TCU goes undefeated, does that still mean that Boise State deserves to in ahead of them? All hypothetical, and I know this has been discussed at great lengths before, but still a striking topic regardless. Deep down I know that the BCS will not allow a non-AQ into the title game. But hey, I can dream, can't I?

Here is another article which goes into detail regarding both TCU and Utah's special teams play. Interesting statistics. TCU is 17-0 when Jeremy Kerley scores a touchdown. Yowza.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/ta.../2010-tcu-utah
    "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
    -John Heisman

Originally posted by Coastal Ute View Post
    The main argument discussed here is SOS, which they claim really hurts Utah. But how about comparing Boise State's schedule to Utah's? Is there a huge difference SOS wise? I guess the only difference is the fact they were ranked highly early on and Utah started the season unranked. So, If Utah or TCU goes undefeated, does that still mean that Boise State deserves to in ahead of them? All hypothetical, and I know this has been discussed at great lengths before, but still a striking topic regardless. Deep down I know that the BCS will not allow a non-AQ into the title game. But hey, I can dream, can't I?
    I'm not really worried about the equity of Utah's ranking until they beat TCU.

Comment

This video is currently on the front page of ESPN.com.

The Experts: Non-BCS Team In Title Game - ESPN Video - ESPN

Here is another article which goes into detail regarding both TCU and Utah's special teams play. Interesting statistics. TCU is 17-0 when Jeremy Kerley scores a touchdown. Yowza.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/ta.../2010-tcu-utah
      David Pollack is on the Trev Alberts/Mark May/Craig James trajectory.

Speaking of Alabama he says, "They've played 8 ranked teams!"

You sure about that Dave?

The amount of research done by that group and it's collective knowledge is worthless.

They call themselves "the experts?" Experts on what?

Comment

I'd love to see TCU in the title game.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          I'd love to see Utah in the title game.
          FTFY.

Also, these guys are morons. Experts. Lol.
          "75-10 the last two games? Is my math right? It's enough to make me reconsider my embrace of science over Christianity."--SU

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to have fumbled this football."
          -John Heisman

Comment

FTFY.

Comment

FTFY.

We need a category in the CUFFIES for worst use of FTFY.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

We need a category in the CUFFIES for worst use of FTFY.
                or you could create a script such that when anyone submits a post containing "ftfy," they're automatically banned for 1/post count months.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                  or you could create a script such that when anyone submits a post containing "ftfy," they're automatically banned for 1/post count months.
                  +1.

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                    or you could create a script such that when anyone submits a post containing "ftfy," they're automatically banned for ever.
                    I repaired your faulty post on your behalf.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

David Locke brought up a good point today.

How many teams are undefeated if they played Boises schedule? Basically beating Oregon State and Virginia Tech. I would say 15-20.

How many teams are undefeated if they played TCUs schedule? Basically beating Baylor and Oregon State. 20-25?

How many teams are undefeated if they played Utahs schedule? Basically beating Pitt at home? 35-40?
                      *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

How many teams are undefeated if they played Boises schedule? Basically beating Oregon State and Virginia Tech. I would say 15-20.

How many teams are undefeated if they played TCUs schedule? Basically beating Baylor and Oregon State. 20-25?

How many teams are undefeated if they played Utahs schedule? Basically beating Pitt at home? 35-40?
                        I'd say all of those numbers are too high.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

How many teams are undefeated playing Ohio St's schedule?
                          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

BYU fans who complain about SOS are poor students of their own history. They only cheapen BYU's tradition. BYU more than anyone is the poster child for undeserved rankings because of crappy SOS. In terms of being undefeated and SOS considerations, BYU has never done anything like Utah or Boise have done, especially Utah in 2008. You guys should just be quiet about SOS.

Also, going 8-0 with Utah's schedule is not as easy as Utah has made it look. Just ask Texas, and Bronco.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                              How many teams are undefeated playing Ohio St's schedule?
                              It is not good you are correct but Wisconsin is better than any team that these 4 have played not to mention even a Miami team in a down year is better than Pitt and Baylor. Oregon St and Va tech would be a toss up. So I would say 5.

Base it off Sagarin rankings to make it easy. The highest rated team Utah has played is Air Force at 36 (Pitt is 37) that means the computers think that 35 teams with their schedule would be undefeated.

Boise St and TCU have both played Oregon St. They are 15th so 14 teams with their schedules could potentially be undefeated with those schedules.

Wisconsin is 17th so 16 teams would go undefeated. Obviously this is not 100% fool proof but I do think it shows how weak some of the schedules have been this year.

Look at the top 20 teams in the country (taking out TCU, Utah and Boise and according to Sagarin)

Oregon, Stanford, Mizzou, Auburn, Alabama, Arizona, Oklahoma, Iowa, Ohio State, LSU, Oregon State, Ok State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Florida State, Arkansas, USC, South Carolina.

I think all of the above teams have a legit shot of being undefeated with TCU, Utah or Boises schedules.
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X