Utah's BCS opponent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah's BCS opponent

Scenario: Oregon, Auburn, Boise, and Utah all finish the season undefeated.

Auburn and Oregon are currently 1-2 in the BCS rankings, and if they finish undefeated, Boise and Utah/TCU ain't passing them. If that scenario plays out, who would you most want Utah to play in their BCS bowl?

#1 Auburn (undefeated) v. #2 Oregon (undefeated) in one bowl game and #3 Boise (undefeated) v. #4 Utah/TCU (undefeated) in another; wow!
    0-loss Boise
    22.73%
    1-loss TCU
    0.00%
    1-loss Stanford
    4.55%
    1-loss Ohio St.
    45.45%
    1-loss Oklahoma
    18.18%
    1-loss Nebraska
    9.09%
    2-loss Alabama
    0.00%

Originally posted by scottie View Post

Auburn and Oregon are currently 1-2 in the BCS rankings, and if they finish undefeated, Boise and Utah/TCU ain't passing them. If that scenario plays out, who would you most want Utah to play in their BCS bowl?

#1 Auburn (undefeated) v. #2 Oregon (undefeated) in one bowl game and #3 Boise (undefeated) v. #4 Utah/TCU (undefeated) in another; wow!
    I can almost guarantee you that Alabama will spank Auburn. If Utah wins out, then what?

I think the most likely "BCS championship" scenario is Oregon vs. Alabama.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I can almost guarantee you that Alabama will spank Auburn. If Utah wins out, then what?

Where does the almost guarantee talk come from? A look at common opponents offers plenty of doubt:

Auburn:
      SOUTH CAROLINA 35 - 27 W
      ARKANSAS 65 - 43 W
      @ Mississippi 51-31 W

Alabama:
      @ Arkansas 24 - 20 W
      @ South Carolina 21 - 35 L
      MISSISSIPPI 23 - 10 W

Comment

Where does the almost guarantee talk come from? A look at common opponents offers plenty of doubt:

Auburn:
        SOUTH CAROLINA 35 - 27 W
        ARKANSAS 65 - 43 W
        @ Mississippi 51-31 W

Alabama:
        @ Arkansas 24 - 20 W
        @ South Carolina 21 - 35 L
        MISSISSIPPI 23 - 10 W
        because it is at Alabama and Auburn has some very close wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
          because it is at Alabama and Auburn has some very close wins.

SU said, "I can almost guarantee you that Alabama will spank Auburn."

Comment

I dont guarantee it, in fact I would favor Auburn, but I just think it being at Alabama is huge.

Comment

I think Bama takes care of Auburn. They have the offense and defense to slow down an explosive team like Auburn (and Oregon for that matter) that rely on tempo. That being said, in the college game anything can happen. I don't think anyone Oregon plays the rest of the year has a chance to beat them. They are so explosive.

Comment

I think the fact they play at Alabama, Alabama's more publicized talent on both offense and defense, Alabama's extensive experience in games like this, Alabama's coach who has been in this situation so many times, that Alabama will probably by then have played itself back into BCS title contention, and the fact that it's Auburn vs. Alabama (huge rivalry/Alabama usually with the upper hand--"big brother"), mean Alabama has a big psychological advantage, which is where it will be won, in the kids' heads.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Eventually it'll be considered a traditional Pac-10/Big 10 game, but I think if Utah wins out they play Ohio St. in the Rose bowl.
                  "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

It would be a shame if Utah lost to BSU heading into the PAC 10
                    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

Bama will roll auburn especially since it is in tuscaloosa

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk
                      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Oregon would have to lose a game for Boise and Utah to play. If the Rose Bowl loses one of its teams, it is required to select a non-AQ team to replace them.

And, of course, Utah has to beat TCU this week.
                        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                          Eventually it'll be considered a traditional Pac-10/Big 10 game, but I think if Utah wins out they play Ohio St. in the Rose bowl.
                          Oregon, Stanford or the Zoo will be in the Rose Bowl. Utah is not in the Pac 10, and is not going to get some kind of selection love because they will be next year when a member of the P10 is sitting inside the top 10.

If Utah is dreaming of Roses they need to hope for P10 losses.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

There is only a very small chance Utah and Boise St. would play. the most likely spot would have to be in the National champ game. The only chance for them to play in the rosebowl woudl be if the big 10 champ and oregon played in the Nat champ game. They wont meet in the fiesta bowl as it will be the big 12 winner and at large. They won't meet in the sugar as they will take the sec runner up. Orange will be big east and ACC teams.

If Utah remains undefeated its likely they would get shut out of a bcs game.
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              Oregon, Stanford or the Zoo will be in the Rose Bowl. Utah is not in the Pac 10, and is not going to get some kind of selection love because they will be next year when a member of the P10 is sitting inside the top 10.

If Utah is dreaming of Roses they need to hope for P10 losses.
                              Again, just the opposite: if Oregon wins out, they'll play in the BCS title game. The Rose Bowl would then be required to select a non-AQ team to replace them. From reading the BCS selection procedures, I'm pretty sure they'd have to select the highest-ranked non-AQ team (assuming they've earned the "non-AQ auto-bid" by finishing in the top 12), but it's not crystal clear.
                              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Working...
                              X