• Good CB post ...

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=6131123

I know, I'm shocked too.

Does anyone care to comment?

We're talking Wyoming here. Wyoming!
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I think it is interesting to see that recruiting advantages tell regardless of what scheme you run. Our recruiting field is filled with players well suited for a run first scheme or a pro set. Instead we have been running a pass first scheme because our coaches and fans think that's what BYU has to be. We've been made for the power run games for a long time. Chow was heading towards that type of offense and the fans rode him out of town on a rail. Crowton tried to use innovation to overcome our recruiting disadvantages then he tried to use risky players to do the same. At the end of the day, if we do change OCs, I hope we get someone who wants to run a pro style offense or a run first offense. TEs, Full backs, huge Olinemen, bruising tailbacks, we are made to run the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
        Does anyone care to comment?
        I enjoyed this comment:
        http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...38&postcount=2

Comment

I think it's a no brainer that BYU is more likely to run out of the I and more likely to pass out of the spread. That's the point and that was the original point of adding the I to the spread--to give the offense more diversity. Also we pass some out of the I and run some out of the spread. But neither is ideal, it's just to keep defenses honest. It wouldn't be surprising to see in a year we had a good QB that the passing is more effective out of the spread. Obviously with Jake, the more we pass the worse we do.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            I think it's a no brainer that BYU is more likely to run out of the I and more likely to pass out of the spread. That's the point and that was the original point of adding the I to the spread--to give the offense more diversity. Also we pass some out of the I and run some out of the spread. But neither is ideal, it's just to keep defenses honest. It wouldn't be surprising to see in a year we had a good QB that the passing is more effective out of the spread. Obviously with Jake, the more we pass the worse we do.
            I was surprised to see that our passing was better out of the I than it was out of the spread. That was a surprising statistic. It hasn't been the case in the past.

Comment

I was surprised to see that our passing was better out of the I than it was out of the spread. That was a surprising statistic. It hasn't been the case in the past.
              4 completions out of the I versus 6 completions out of the shotgun. That's not enough data. Period.

The running comparison has some value. Unsurprisingly, it's more effective to run out of the I against the 120th rated run defense than from the shotgun. You know, with the extra blockers and all...
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Instead we have been running a pass first scheme because our coaches and fans think that's what BYU has to be.
                I've thought the opposite. Over the past several years fans have been more critical of Anae for not running the ball than they have been for running too much. It all started after Unga and Hall's first game--the opener against Arizona in 2007. Unga was the best offensive player that game. In the next game, Unga got few touches in a loss to UCLA and the complaining began. I was one of the complainers. Indy has made this point more succinctly before, though I dont' think he was one of the complainers. More like one of the complainers about the complaining.

Anyway, I can't think of many instances where lots of fans were saying that we needed to throw a lot more, or we ran too much. You might hear a few people calling for it. But I think that most people are fine with limiting Jake's throws to about 20 a game. The complaining is about the types of run (sweep to kariya on 4th and 4; run up the middle on 3rd and 10; not going for it on 4th and inches) and pass plays (didn't go back to the deep pass after the 1st play against WYO; not going for anything over the middle but short slants) or the overall playcalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  4 completions out of the I versus 6 completions out of the shotgun. That's not enough data. Period.

The running comparison has some value. Unsurprisingly, it's more effective to run out of the I against the 120th rated run defense than from the shotgun. You know, with the extra blockers and all...
                  I agree that there isn't enough data for an accurate decision. I thought that would go without saying since none of us are actually the idiots you think we are. That said, I think a larger study of the data might reveal that we are throwing better out of the I this year. I've noticed that teams are playing us to run out of the I and throw out of the shotgun. In the past, with superior execution, the advantages of the formation have outweighed the foreknowledge. I believe this year would show different results.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                    I've thought the opposite. Over the past several years fans have been more critical of Anae for not running the ball than they have been for running too much. It all started after Unga and Hall's first game--the opener against Arizona in 2007. Unga was the best offensive player that game. In the next game, Unga got few touches in a loss to UCLA and the complaining began. I was one of the complainers. Indy has made this point more succinctly before, though I dont' think he was one of the complainers. More like one of the complainers about the complaining.

Anyway, I can't think of many instances where lots of fans were saying that we needed to throw a lot more, or we ran too much. You might hear a few people calling for it. But I think that most people are fine with limiting Jake's throws to about 20 a game. The complaining is about the types of run (sweep to kariya on 4th and 4; run up the middle on 3rd and 10; not going for it on 4th and inches) and pass plays (didn't go back to the deep pass after the 1st play against WYO; not going for anything over the middle but short slants) or the overall playcalling.
                    My experience has been that when we run the ball 50% of the time, we have fans who are critical of Anae for not "turning Heaps loose." Our fan base seems to believe we need to throw. Maybe it is just the people I listen to.

Comment

I agree that there isn't enough data for an accurate decision. I thought that would go without saying since none of us are actually the idiots you think we are. That said, I think a larger study of the data might reveal that we are throwing better out of the I this year. I've noticed that teams are playing us to run out of the I and throw out of the shotgun. In the past, with superior execution, the advantages of the formation have outweighed the foreknowledge. I believe this year would show different results.
                      It seems out of the I since we've gone to smash mouth, we just play action or throw little screens out of the I. That's a completely different type of passing to try to compare to passing out of the spread. I think we need both.

Comment

I love this post. If anyone wants to make some money, there is a gaping hole in the BYU blogosphere, as there doesn't seem to be a single one that discusses nuts and bolts. This seems very odd, as just about any major program seems to have tons of blogs doing this sort of analysis (only usually more in depth, grading all the players, frame-by-frame analysis of important or demonstrative plays, etc.) for every game.

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                          I love this post. If anyone wants to make some money, there is a gaping hole in the BYU blogosphere, as there doesn't seem to be a single one that discusses nuts and bolts. This seems very odd, as just about any major program seems to have tons of blogs doing this sort of analysis (only usually more in depth, grading all the players, frame-by-frame analysis of important or demonstrative plays, etc.) for every game.
                          and we wonder why Bronco feels our fans are uninformed.
                          Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                          God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                          Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

BYU as a power run team moving forward in the coming years would be mired in mediocrity.

BYU as a power run team will be a very poor man's Wisconsin who will never be relevant on the national stage.

A pro-style offense I could see though.
                            Last edited by Hsaru; 10-29-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                              and we wonder why Bronco feels our fans are uninformed.
                              There's no doubt that it's much harder to be an informed BYU fan than to be informed about many other teams. It seems like the most popular blogs are little more than random musings and straight-forward news. Perhaps all the good stuff is on TBS, to which I don't have access. Anybody that does want to chime in?

Comment

Working...
                              X