The bloodlust for assistants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bloodlust for assistants

I get a kick out of reading sports fans who want the WR or QB or DB coach fired. I just doubt that the average sports fan has neither the knowledge of the positions in question nor enough understanding of what is going on inside of a program to fairly evaluate position coaches. So much of it is rumor and bullshit ineuendo based upon somebody who knows somebody who is upset because such and such is not rubbing the inner thigh of the players enough. From K-Dog demonstrating his openmindedness in going after Brandon Doman (he alone stands against the irrational support given to BD because of his recent stardom as a BYU qb) rather than Robert Anae to those wanting Coach Higgins rode out on a rail. Nobody can understand why such and such is given a free pass. I don't understand how anyone can evaluate any of these coaches.

Now clearly BYU's offense has problems. From the youth to the bitterness due to the lack of inner thigh rubbing, there are problems. I am not sure if I am convinced the problems are coaching or mostly that the players are innexperienced and consequently suck and sucking seems to be a gateway drug to all sorts of other problems and opportunities for jaundiced whiners to piss and moan about pet peaves of theirs they wanted to piss and moan about but were squelched due to the succcess. This offensive staff did real well with two different cores of offensive players. Further, many of these current freshman are reputed, by all of the recruiting experts and the coaching staff who offered them scholarships, to be every bit as ballyhooed and capable as the previous athletes who comprised those two cores.

I think as fans the only coach we can fairly evaluate is the head coach. Either he wins or he loses. It is pretty simple. If the ST coach sucks and the opponents average 50 yard returns, it is the job of the HC to fix because if he does not it will eventually have an impact on winning and or losing. I don't think even the most dialed in fans have enough of a grasp of the program to understand how the HC directs his Lieutenants. I guess it is fun to speculate as to abilities, and certainly the extent to which these assistants are in demand elsewhere is about the best litmus test available, but to get to the point where folks want such and such fired seems ignorant.

I remember with Crowton the BYU fans systematically wanting all the coordinators or assistants fired. I thought the real problem was obvious in year 2 and overwhelmingly obvious in year 3. I feel likewise about Mendenhall. This years issues are at his feet. It is his responsibility to make the changes to improve things. If it requires firing assistants, I won't question it because the proof will be in the performance.

I think Bronco is right, most fans don't know what they are talking about. However, they pay the bills so they get to talk.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

AMEN!!!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      AMEN!!!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME!
      Have you seen the difference in BYU's defense since he dismissed the DC? Mendenhall might have lost his mojo for a while and it may result in some assistants having to go packing, that might not have gotten that bad had Mendenhall not fallen asleep, but that is one of the occupational hazards, I suppose.

But I wasn't referencing you in evaluating position coaches. I think we can all agree that your grasp of the game is the bottom end of below average. Sorry, just being honest! Even those who know significantly more than you are still not in a position to evaluate these coaches.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I remember with Crowton the BYU fans systematically wanting all the coordinators or assistants fired. I thought the real problem was obvious in year 2 and overwhelmingly obvious in year 3. I feel likewise about Mendenhall. This years issues are at his feet. It is his responsibility to make the changes to improve things. If it requires firing assistants, I won't question it because the proof will be in the performance.
        I don't understand. what is the "real problem" that is so obvious and lies at the feet of Bronco?

I agree with your main point that most or almost all fans are in a poor position to judge the job of an assistant coach. But why are you in such a good position to judge the job of the head coach? And why, as the de facto head coach of the offense, are you unable to judge Anaie's performance.

Comment

Have you seen the difference in BYU's defense since he dismissed the DC? Mendenhall might have lost his mojo for a while and it may result in some assistants having to go packing, that might not have gotten that bad had Mendenhall not fallen asleep, but that is one of the occupational hazards, I suppose.

But I wasn't referencing you in evaluating position coaches. I think we can all agree that your grasp of the game is the bottom end of below average. Sorry, just being honest! Even those who know significantly more than you are still not in a position to evaluate these coaches.
          The only people here whose knowledge of football is worth more than a pitcher of warm spit are Hot Lunch and Boylenover. But it doesn't take that to see that Bronco's systematic evasion of responsibilitiy and well timed leaks about assistants' personal lives (as with missed recruits) are reprehensible.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

<chuckle>

But by the same token, couldn't you say that Anae needs to go? Either the offense performs or it doesn't. Bronco has already admitted virtual ignorance regarding the offense, we know we want him there for the defense, so I think the buck stops with Anae regarding our offensive problems. If there's a WR problem, then he needs to ensure that it's fixed (or that it never happens in the first place), either through better coaching (new WR coach, taking over himself, whatever) or practice or recruiting or playcalling.

I'm not buying inexperience as an excuse. We're not THAT young (and the defense is younger). I think we'd all accept mediocre, perhaps even poor, offensive showings for a year. Instead, we've had the worst in 40 years. That's not acceptable.

EDIT: Looks like I'm a slow typer. Jacob beat me to my point. So...i'll just say "yeah! what he said!"
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob
              I don't understand. what is the "real problem" that is so obvious and lies at the feet of Bronco?
              ...3-5?
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                The only people here whose knowledge of football is worth more than a pitcher of warm spit are Hot Lunch and Boylenover. But it doesn't take that to see that Bronco's systematic evasion of responsibilitiy and well timed leaks about assistants' personal lives (as with missed recruits) are reprehensible.
                For someone who allegedly doesn't care, you sure seem to know a lot more about Bronco than the rest of us.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                  ...3-5?
                  That is what I might call a serious alligator mouth issue!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                    ...3-5?
                    That's the symptom. Goat says he knows what the real problem is.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      For someone who allegedly doesn't care, you sure seem to know a lot more about Bronco than the rest of us.
                      You can appear to know quite a bit when you are just making it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post

I agree with your main point that most or almost all fans are in a poor position to judge the job of an assistant coach. But why are you in such a good position to judge the job of the head coach? And why, as the de facto head coach of the offense, are you unable to judge Anaie's performance.
                        I think BYU's program has underachieved this year. There might be all sorts of reasons why Mendenhall's team has played so poorly this season and all might be well next year, but IMO BYU should never lose to AF, Nevada-freaking-Reno and Utah State in the same year. I understand it is a rebuilding year but I think BYU's resources are such that if they are well leveraged the debacle of this year should be avoided.

I am not calling for Mendenhall's head and I think he is a great head coach, I just believe this debacle is his fault and he is the only one to whom I feel comfortable pointing the finger of blame.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                          That's the symptom. Goat says he knows what the real problem is.
                          I don't think I know the real problem. I think it is program management and specifically recruiting poorly and getting one forced into a situation where there was no good option at QB and too many other offensive positions simultaneously. However, I admit I could be wrong in that analysis. My point is that the only metric we can totally rely upon is wins and losses. Hence the only one I feel that I can fairly evaluate is the HC and right now he is staring down at a serious alligator mouth deficit.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Bronco hung himself with his own words and actions

He seems to have come very late into this season.

First, he delegated and dawdled resulting in the early-season two headed quarterback fiasco. Nelson bailed him out, with what oddly was revealed to be an injury suffered in fall camp but only acknowleged by game four.

Then the Hill firing. The improvement in the defense since then shows again that Bronco was late coming to the season. It seems obvious that if he had been more active the defense would have been better at game one.

His rambling statements about team identity and how he hadn't come to conclusions on this or that deficit in the team come across as disconnected.

If the assistant coaches are sub-par, well he hired them. At least he's shown he's not afraid to sack one.
                            The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

Comment

I think BYU's program has underachieved this year. There might be all sorts of reasons why Mendenhall's team has played so poorly this season and all might be well next year, but IMO BYU should never lose to AF, Nevada-freaking-Reno and Utah State in the same year. I understand it is a rebuilding year but I think BYU's resources are such that if they are well leveraged the debacle of this year should be avoided.

I am not calling for Mendenhall's head and I think he is a great head coach, I just believe this debacle is his fault and he is the only one to whom I feel comfortable pointing the finger of blame.
                              I agree with the first paragraph. But how can you claim all fans are too dumb to know whether an assistant coach is doing a good job, and then simply declare that you know the real problem, and it's Brongo, and then not give any reason why you think it's Bronco?

Edit: You seem to have answered most of this with the previous post, though I'm still curious as to why you are so anxious to give Anae a pass.

Ultimately, if the assistant coaches stink, it's Bronco's responsibility to replace them. Nobody will disagree with that. But if you are laying the blame all at bronco's feet, it would make sense to me to lay the offensive ineptitude at Anae's feet.
                              Last edited by Jacob; 10-28-2010, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X