Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much credit does a QB coach deserve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much credit does a QB coach deserve?

I was wondering this after watching BJ interact with the QBs on the sidelines Saturday. How much credit does he deserve for the success of the Utah QBs?
    A lot
    38.46%
    A little
    61.54%
    None, the QB is the QB
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by SloanHater; 10-27-2010, 02:19 PM.

The QB having somebody who can assist with mechanics, talk him through his stresses, calm his fears, act as a mediator between himself and the HC, and help him understand the reads or defensive schemes during the game is an ENORMOUS help.

The fact that BJ was in the exact same situation a few years ago and is (roughly) the same age as the QBs on the team helps immensely. Besides that, BJ is very smart, focused, and driven to succeed. He has a strong rapport with them.

He is enormously impressive all around, and at the same time is a lot of fun (I met him a few times, and he did a promo thing for a family member). It is easy to understand why he is one of the best recruiters in the country.

My 8 year-old son idolizes him, and was sad that he didn't get to play QB this year on his team (he is playing DE, TE, and Left Tackle instead - it is his first season playing...).

Somewhat off topic: This may not be completely applicable (because he isn't part of the coaching staff), but Tom Martinez is a HUGE part of the reason behind Tom Brady's success. He has been Brady's private QB coach for over 19 years. Martinez is the go-to guy, although the Pats have QB coaches on-staff. The staff guys have been very good, but Brady still goes back to work out with Martinez because of the rapport between them.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
      The QB having somebody who can assist with mechanics, talk him through his stresses, calm his fears, act as a mediator between himself and the HC, and help him understand the reads or defensive schemes during the game is an ENORMOUS help.

The fact that BJ was in the exact same situation a few years ago and is (roughly) the same age as the QBs on the team helps immensely. Besides that, BJ is very smart, focused, and driven to succeed. He has a strong rapport with them.

He is enormously impressive all around, and at the same time is a lot of fun (I met him a few times, and he did a promo thing for a family member). It is easy to understand why he is one of the best recruiters in the country.

My 8 year-old son idolizes him, and was sad that he didn't get to play QB this year on his team (he is playing DE, TE, and Left Tackle instead - it is his first season playing...).

Somewhat off topic: This may not be completely applicable (because he isn't part of the coaching staff), but Tom Martinez is a HUGE part of the reason behind Tom Brady's success. He has been Brady's private QB coach for over 19 years. Martinez is the go-to guy, although the Pats have QB coaches on-staff. The staff guys have been very good, but Brady still goes back to work out with Martinez because of the rapport between them.
      I've noticed this too and often see him celebrating with the QBs. I think BJ deserves a lot of credit for how well the Qbs are playing this year.

On the flip side, I wonder how much blame Doman deserves for Jake's failure?

Comment

It depends on the situation, but there are times where it really seems to help.

I don't follow Florida close enough to know how much of an impact he was, but just look at what has been going on with Urban Meyer when he had Dan Mullen at his side: Alex Smith, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow. Then Mullen takes the HC job and now Brantley seems to be struggling.

Comment

I'd say they play a big role. Andy Ludwig received a lot of criticism for his performance as the offensive coordinator, and most of it was deserved. But he did a terrific job as QB coach with Utah. BJ is a success, and Ratliff is the back-up in Cleveland.
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Working...
          X